Author Topic: Inheritance Tax  (Read 26948 times)

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
Re: Inheritance Tax
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
Right there you can see that you are not losing any wealth to inflation unless you want to. 
That an investment vehicle exists specifically to mitigate the risk of inflation does not in any way shape or form make every portfolio immune to inflation associated risks or actual losses by inflation.  Investment vehicles also exists to specifically mitigate the risks of taxes.  My table has a trunk too.
You mentioned the government uses inflation to pay bills.  Unless bond markets are completely wrong, that can't be logically true.   While future dollars are indeed worth less and less over time, US bonds also pay interest over time, in amounts which bond traders expect will cover the inflation risk.   To put it another way, the money is paid back with enough interest to cover the inflation.  In short, government bills are not inflated away, at least not in the way you claimed.   
You are talking about the mechanism by which the government finances its own debt, and the way it borrows money, as though the current conditions are the only conditions that could ever exist.  But if the government drops inflation to a super low amount, borrows a crap ton of money, and then jacks inflation back up, the future payments on the old debt do not in any way shape or form come close to the old value that was borrowed.  Any government not currently running a deficit, and any government whose total outstanding debt completely dwarfs any current deficit, can take advantage of inflation as one part of a long term debt resolution.  And all do.

But that wasn't really what I was talking about.  The off-book debt in the form of unfunded entitlements are tied to an under-reported value of inflation that promise a benefit based on what you paid in.  The end result is that the payout you get from things like social security are far less than what you really ought to be getting, because of the persistent mis-characterization of the nature of inflation.  The delta between the actual purchasing power decline of the dollar (inflation) and the decline used by the government (reported inflation) is what I'm talking about.  So the new debt the government acquires is borrowed at a rate below actual inflation, and payments owed are calculated at a rate below actual inflation.  And that reported rate is present throughout government contracts, so they literally rip-off everybody they pay.  Increases to entitlements are based on the reported inflation, not actual inflation.  And while it is certainly very difficult to measure actual inflation, it's hard to argue they're really trying at this point.
Everyone knows than that Federal Reserve, like all central banks, creates money out of thin air.   Over the past few years we've heard lots of fear that QE and lots of government borrowing will lead to in not hyperinflation, at least high inflation.  But it hasn't.  Why not?   One thing that many people don't realize is that the private banking system creates vastly more money than the Federal Reserve.  Since the financial collapse of 2008, the rate of growth of the money supply has decreased drastically, due to the decrease in lending by private banks.  Even QE was not nearly enough to counter act this effect:

I point that out because while it is true, the government tries to influence inflation, the government cannot fully control inflation.  And contrary to your claim, inflation isn't really "imposed" by the government.  Most inflation is created by private lending. 
I understand all of that, and I absolutely agree that the government is wholly incompetent in all things, including trying to induce its desired level of inflation.  However, if the government begins wholesale printing of currency, that will cause inflation.  That they aren't doing that does not mean they cannot or will not.  The government also wants to take in a certain amount of money via taxes, but sometimes the income just isn't there to tax.  That government is bad at everything doesn't weaken my point.

TL;DR  Inflation typically doesn't erode wealth, and most inflation is created by the private sector.  Therefore the claim taxes = inflation makes no economic sense.   

Inflation absolutely does erode wealth, if that wealth is not actively engaged in speculative investment opportunities (like funding the debt of governments or corporations or individuals) to get a return at least as high as inflation.  Actual growth of the money supply is created by the fed policies which dictate the actions of private sector banks.  If there was no inflation, you'd be able to sit on your haunches and comfortably enjoy your wealth, confident that it wasn't going anywhere.  The reason it is all out there invested in sovereign debts is that inflation is a real and tangible threat to wealth.

Inflation right now is much higher than the reported levels, but you aren't aware of it, because you don't want to look.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/perianneboring/2014/02/03/if-you-want-to-know-the-real-rate-of-inflation-dont-bother-with-the-cpi/

The chart you showed has M4 and M3.  Where's M2?  Why did M2 get dropped from all the charts?  The data didn't fit the narrative.

Whether you define inflation as the increase in the price of goods over time (which is hella-hard to measure, as other factors tend to reduce the price of goods over time, particularly recessions) or an increase in the supply of money (which is super easy to measure, though I agree the measurement doesn't necessarily mean what it seems to mean all the time), inflation right now is higher than the near-zero reported values.  Do you do the grocery shopping in your house?  The price of stuff is going up, that's inflation.  The buying power of your wealth is going down, it is worth less. 

Governmental policies have set up the rules such that some inflation is OK.  I don't mean to argue against inflation, and I don't think it's a bad thing.

I'm just saying that a 2% rate of inflation has the same effect on a portfolio as a 2% wealth tax would.  Exactly the same!  So I don't think it is unreasonable to consider inflation as a wealth tax.

If they are different, that difference is rhetorical, a function of needing them to be different to simplify conversing about them, not because of any substantial difference in the net effects on wealth over time.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
Well, now you're saying that, sure.  By definition of profit within your now explicitly referenced classical economic definition, an efficient market doesn't allow for economic profit = true.  I think you don't actually understand what that means though, because you've used it as though it has anything to do with this ongoing discussion.

What "in an efficient market no one makes economic profit" means is that if you don't have [capital investments, training time, startup costs, market vulnerabilities, changing customer preferences, barriers to entry, TAXES, all other real world things that demonstrably do exist and always will] to deal with real world situations, economic profits attract competition that reduces your prices until there is no economic profits.

If that is what you actually meant, then your arguments involving this statement cease to be incorrect because of ignorance, they become arguments against your stated position.

And I agree, if you don't have to consider things like opportunity cost and capital risk, which will always exist and must be considered, your ideas have merit.  However since the hypothetical on which your argument rests is demonstrably not the case, and has never been the case, the ideas won't work.

If I hire a carpenter, a plumber, and an electrician to build me a house, and I pay for materials up front, their incentive to build the house is that I am paying them a salary. 
There are no investors involved in this transaction. 
There is no profit, just a mutually beneficial exchange of services for cash.

There is no relevant opportunity cost or capital risk.
The only reason that would become involved would be if they were trying to expand, and I'm suggesting businesses don't need to constantly expand in order to be "successful", they just need to provide a service, pay a salary, and be stable.

Um, I guess we just disagree on the definition of middle class.

You disagree that "median" constitutes middle class?  I mean, we could argue over whether we should count the entire middle 3rd, the middle fifth, or only the middle percentile, but either way "median" is by definition the exact middle of the middle class.

I also don't see how other countries catching up to us, after us leading them for decades, is indicative of our situation getting worse?  Once we've been thoroughly passed maybe that's a logical argument, but we're not there yet.  Those graphs do not show what your post seems to be trying to imply.
It sounds like you looked at the first graph on that link.  The first graph is showing PER CAPITA incomes.  I never disputed that America has the most overall wealth per person.
What I was referring to was the second graph, further down the page, a little more than 1/2 way.
The first one averages out all income divided by the population, but doesn't factor distribution, which is what this discussion has been focused on.
The second one divides the population into percentiles, and it is clear how the extremely rich skew the entire graph of per capita and give a misleading idea: other nations have just caught up to us right at the median income (the middle 1/10th), but at every single point below that we HAVE been passed already. 
I posted this in response to your claim that: " [/size]Our middle and lower class people are better off than theirs[/size] " and that is simply not accurate.
It is somewhat understandable why so many people think that, because that was true at one time, but it hasn't been since at least 1980.

My point was that the existence of a 100% inheritance tax fundamentally alters the motivation to continue to earn a wage past what you'll need to live.
So then why do people who don't have children not subsist on bread and water and live in a shack?  In fact, why does anyone, kids or not, buy anything but food and shelter?  A tiny percentage of what is bought and sold is really needed to live.  Most purchases are for making life more enjoyable.  You don't have kids, but you are still paying for an internet connection, which is in no way a basic life necessity.
Now, if what you mean is people would not be motivated to try to earn more income than they could possibly spend in a lifetime, that people would slow down once the marginal utility of additional dollars was insignificant, that is a change I would welcome.

So it doesn't necessarily follow that implementing such a tax would in any way shape or form generate long-term revenues.
Some people never save anything in a lifetime.  Whatever they earn gets spent (and recycled back into the economy, taxed as sales taxes and/or someone else's income tax).  Some people (a lot of us here) try to save enough to be able to stop working at some point - either from passive income (4% safe withdrawal rate), or possibly just saving enough to live on directly for a lifetime (at a 90% savings rate, the savings itself matters more than investment returns). 

If we set up a system whereby 100 billionaires only make 100 million dollars in a lifetime (loss of 90 billion potential inheritance tax dollars)
but 100 million people are able to save up 1000 dollars more than they would have otherwise, and that 1000 each is taxed at the same 100% rate upon death, the total tax income is greater over all.  Remember, I'm suggesting the estate tax apply to everyone, not just the rich.

Spending money on living and enjoying life is a "waste"?
What are the kids supposed to do with it, if spending = wasting?  Do they just keep it in savings to give to their kids someday, and etc infinity, but nobody every spends it, since that is wasting a good fortune?
Spending capital in such a way is absolutely a waste.  If they keep it in savings then inflation will eventually tax it into nothingness, thus the system encourages investment.

I think you are misunderstanding my question.  I'm asking if going to the movies, buying ice-cream, vacations, and music are all wastes of money.  Do you think that money is actually the end goal, for its own sake?  What is the point of investing and maximizing returns if there is no point at which you are going to withdraw any of it and actually spend it?
You could cover basic life necessities for a whole lot less time and effort, if all you want is enough food to live.
If you just eat soylent and live in a one room studio, while you have millions of dollars of dividends coming in each year, I think that qualifies as some sort of mental condition.

The SF Bay Area and the Manhattan metropolitan areas are no more surrounded by water than any other major metropolitan area with a border.
Now you are changing the context completely!  The Bay Area and NY metro areas are not any one municipality.  The Bay Area comprises 9 separate counties, and the NY metro area includes 3 different states.  And the majority of those areas don't have rent control.
The Bay Area is constantly expanding - when I was a child, Brentwood was all farmland.  Now it is almost all developer built identical looking suburbs filled with people who wanted a 4 bedroom house with a big yard and 3 car garage who commute 100 miles a day into SF and back.

But you first mentioned SF specifically, which is bound by water, has rent control, and has dramatically higher population density than the average in the other 8 counties surrounding it.

Even if that were a factor (which is isn't) the demand is not infinite nor was it unforeseen.  As the cost of living in these areas grew because of it's popularity, liberals instituted price controls on housing.  As always happens with price controls on any commodity, this created a shortage of housing once the true cost of providing it exceeded the cost.  Now they're caught in a death spiral where the lack of growth in housing due to their imposition of price controls has caused a crisis.  The demand for housing is not infinite, it was just unable to be met with natural market forces because of the high costs of increasing the housing density of a developed area vs. undeveloped land.
Have you ever been to SF?  There is major construction going on their constantly!  SF added 3,514 housing units last year.  In what was already one of the most densely populated cities in the country, and by far the most dense in the region.

It costs far more to tear down an existing apartment building to build one with more units, and there's no reason to do that if you can't charge reasonable rents to get a reasonable return on your capital.
Can't charge "reasonable" rents?  SF and Manhattan are 2 of the top 3 most expensive rents in the country!?
Besides, rent control doesn't even apply to new construction, (nor to major remodeling), so what you are saying doesn't even make sense.

I'm saying that the money you borrow from a bank comes from somewhere.  Capital markets provide...about 100% of it.  That's why the mortgage crisis precipitated the whole financial sector meltdown?
And mortgages are not owned by the super wealthy.  They are owned by ordinary middle class people with 9-5s, and not much to pass on other than the house (if they pay it off before they die).
100 million people with $100 each in a bank account gives the bank just as much capital to loan out as a 10 billionaires.

That you say "price" in quotes is telling.
I put it in quotes because many people (esp. in markets like SF), end up paying 2-3 times the amount of the purchase price of the home in interest.  Which makes the real price (in practice, from the perspective of the buyer) 2-3 times higher than what was listed on the MLS

The price isn't some vehicle by which sellers rip-off buyers.  The price is the rational end result of the market negotiation.  It is a critical piece of information, which informs the greater economy of the value of the transaction.  It isn't perfect, but it is irreplaceable.
agreed.

Without capitalist economies providing "price" feedback, regulated economies collapse.
The terms "capitalist" and "free market" are not interchangeable.
http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/2014/04/free-market-vs-capitalism.html

I don't know how you can reconcile the loss of 25% of their customers with the supposed increase in price of less than 10% per sq. ft.
My point was the sale price of the average home is not a direct reflection of what it costs to build a house.  I'm pointing out the average house sell for more than the average cost to build a house. 

Using your numbers (which are...suspect)
looked it up.  didn't figure anyone wanted to follow every single link I research, and if anyone really cared they could google it themselves.

the price of the commodity they are selling would drop no more than $11.00 per sq. ft.,
I was not meaning to imply any direct relationship - quite the opposite in fact
and they would sell 25% fewer homes,
No, because in my world there is a much bigger market of owner-occupant buyers.

and this wouldn't cause them to build less overall homes?  That isn't right.  At $112 per sq. ft. they would already start building fewer homes,
  I'm saying that's what the average cost of new construction IS currently.

They'd build fewer homes until the price went back up. 
who is "they" exactly?  If a home builder makes 10 homes a year, and makes X dollars on each one, and then the market slows and he only makes y dollars on each, how is it in his best interests to then start making 8 houses per year?  If anything, in order to make the same annual income, he has to make even more houses.  He would make less only if he could not sell them at a price that covered the cost of materials plus his salary.

If all residential units were owner-occupied, this would require no new construction: regardless of the rate that homes wear out, it is obvious that renters are living in some house currently, and that house is in acceptable condition.  So, for the sake of simplicity, lets say every renter buys the house they currently live in.  As far as construction is concerned, it is a wash.  The rate homes need to be replaced is no higher or lower than before.  The rate of need for brand new spaces for new adults and immigrants to live in is the same as before.  Investor buyers have slowed, but owner-occupy buyers increases -  by the exact same amount, because these are the same people the investors would have rented to.

Now, one thing that would be different is some of the new buyers couldn't afford as large or as fancy a house.  The builder's first choice is to build the largest most fancy house possible, because they don't just make more in labor, they can sell at a higher mark-up, on top of costs, with a fancier house.  Not because of any market rule, but because of human psychology.  People are willing to pay higher amounts above cost the higher the total cost is. 
People who have custom homes built tend to make them larger and nicer than average.
On the other hand, developers who make those identical suburban "communities" tend to cut as many corners as they can while staying up to code - they want them to look premium, but cost minimum.

$112 is just the average.  The average built house today is much fancier, and much larger, than the average house which exists and is lived in (and was made anywhere from 100 to 10 years ago).  It is still possible today to build a house for much less than $112 per square foot.  Maybe it has formica countertops instead of granite, and a wall heater instead of a central furnace.  It is still a home that someone can live in.
Home builders will build whatever there is a market for.  If no one but investors can afford premium houses, people will make more affordable houses.

My only guess is you mean to imply that if the amount of revenue a contractor could make per house were to drop, he would quit being a contractor and find another profession that paid better.

Except, if the world really worked that way, then everyone would be computer engineers, and no one would do anything else.
Plumbers make more than HVAC specialists, even though they do fairly similar work.  So why are there HVAC specialists?  Because, just like an ecosystem, in a market economy every niche gets filled.  As long as a particular line of business doesn't lose money, there is incentive for someone to fill it.  The average cost to build a house is not the minimum cost to build a house.  Only once there are no people who can afford even the minimum cost to build a house does all house buliding stop. 

When I was in Mexico there were a lot of houses with rebar sticking up out of the roof along the perimeter.  This was because there was limited credit available, and people paid for construction costs of their homes in cash.  If you couldn't afford a 2 story house, you just had the first story built, with provisions for adding on to it if and when you could afford it in the future.

Like I've been saying all along, economic growth would slow down if we restricted capitalism in favor of a free market, but you still haven't shown why it would reverse as you believe it would.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »

Like I've been saying all along, economic growth would slow down if we restricted capitalism in favor of a free market, but you still haven't shown why it would reverse as you believe it would.

Well I think your arguments have a great deal more merit if you're talking about a high inheritance tax vs. a 100% inheritance tax.  It's the 100% thing that interests me in the conversation, because it exaggerates the effect.  Very weird stuff starts happening at the ends of spectrums (spectri? spectra?  Success! no red squiggles), generally.

It's been good talking to you, we should meet up at a bar and get to work solving all the world's problems.  Telecaster can come too!

It's been

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
I like how the people who are given the money by the people who earned it do not deserve it, but the Feds, who already taxed it at least once, do. That's the dumbest argument ever.

If all money was forfeited upon death,.......

more people would die either broke or in debt.  When there is no incentive to save, there is no savings.