Author Topic: In Which I Write a Book, Right Here on the Forums  (Read 10493 times)

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: In Which I Write a Book, Right Here on the Forums
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2023, 12:18:23 AM »
Hey Y9!

Uploaded last part of Chapter 3.

That's the end of the easy part. Now I have to make hard decisions about how to tell the rest. I'd like to follow a rough chronological order (not strict, but generally), but I'd also like to spend some time on my more peculiar co-workers before expanding into more concrete topics. It's very possible I might not like the order and have to move chapters around later, but that's always a risk.

It feels a bit like a puzzle. I have all the pieces. I know all the pieces - hell, I lived them. But I don't quite know how they'll all fit together in this format, how to put them on a display that makes the experience accessible and interesting and engaging to a casual reader. I'm always amazed how guys like Stephen King or George Martin can write 1,200 page books with eighty characters and keep everything straight, all the while making it up free-form as they go.

It'll come, though. Just tackle it one post at a time:)

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2023, 05:08:19 PM »
First bit of Chapter 4 uploaded.

I don't like this one so far. It's somewhat linear, early days experience, but the stories aren't well-connected. Might tool around with this one, but doing this at work and it's time to go home now.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2023, 05:16:24 PM »
Ptf

I've been enjoying it so far!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2023, 06:40:23 PM »
Following. Way to be brave and share your WIP!

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2023, 01:37:47 PM »
PTF. It's a good read so far!

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2023, 04:56:59 PM »
Roughed out the beginnings of Chapter 5. This one took a bit of time, because I'm now talking about what I do for a living. The value-add here (I hope) is that I can take something that most folks find a bit dry and make it a lot more accessible. Like starting with the evolution of neuroscience research and ending with a monkey puking on a guy as a drug fails. It takes time to find the balance between educational and fun and boring.

I'm being very careful to be vague on details. Most of what I talk about is long dead or publicly disclosed, but I'm not above changing details to protect old IP.

Still thinking about structure. After this, it's a little more open. I have some deep dives into characters, little one-offs, science minutiae. All to be knitted.

Thinking ahead, the book will have maybe three bigger sections. One of them is the appetizer, how I came to be at MegaPharma. Section one is an exposition of science and the interesting bits of early career. At some point, we need to enter section three (low effort spoiler), where I start to burn out and really start pushing for FIRE. We're far from that point still, but making a note for myself.

Incidentally, I'll be taking some vacation, so my output will probably drop the next week or so. We're operating at a frantic pace so far (we'd be done with the rough draft in a month if I keep up), partially because I have some source material to draw from. That's going to get more limited.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2023, 09:09:53 AM »
Wow, great writing really enjoying the first 5 chapters.  All new stories to me or I just don't remember reading about them before. Are these three monkeys related to your story of transporting  pooh flinging in your car? I remember that one.   

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2023, 02:14:20 PM »
The other poo-monkey story was from an earlier part of my life. Probably won't make it in here.

On the progress front: First addition where I go back and modified something. In this case, adding a better ending to Chapter 4.

Tl;dr Marty the boss catches me in an after-hours assessment of my questionable sperm under the microscope. Buys my BS explanation for why I'm working late and again slaps my ass, which is emblematic of his management style.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2023, 06:30:13 AM »
Just read the addition to chapter 4 which had a valued added awkward encounter with the boss. Not sure if you want any editing feedback, but I did notice the last line in Chapter 4 "I’d explore anyone to explore."  I think you wanted to use the word implore.

Love reading these.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2023, 02:57:09 PM »
I appreciate corrections (and I fixed the above one), but there's probably going to come a time where I put in some text that's too rough for anyone to bother with editing until I've gone back and smoothed it over.

Tl;dr copyedit at own risk.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2023, 07:26:44 PM »
I do recognize most of the stories from previous posts, but do enjoy reading them again. (Just as I am enjoying re-reading Yesterday's Tomorrow).

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2023, 10:19:04 PM »
PTF!
I worked at a one of the original biotech companies at the very beginning of the Biotech Era (early 1980's) and am looking forward to see what happened.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2023, 01:43:20 PM »
Back from vacation.

Added Chapter 6, which I wrote in between scuba dives. This is a completely new chapter, not drawing from anything else. It's very, very, very rough, and breaks narrative form in that it's all expositional. Nothing happens, it's just an explanation of the intricacies of drug development. It's an informational chapter, something to allow the reader an opportunity to cozy up to and get a sense of what biomedical research is all about without actually getting into the weeds. It's not funny or anything, but without it, this book will be a loosely-connected series of anecdotes that anyone with odd co-workers could write.

We'll see. Next up is an intro to some of my colleagues. 

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2023, 06:02:46 PM »
Skipped chapter 7 for now (where I plan to introduce my work archnemesis - it needed a little too much work to get it up today) and instead put up the standalone story of Chapter 8 - my first corporate christmas party. I like this story, although my finishing line still needs a little work.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2023, 06:42:27 PM »
suggesting that when you post on a new chapter, add the direct link to that chapter.
Example: Chapter 8: Christmas Party

asking for me, myself, and I - we three are lazy and don't like scrolling. gives us the darn link, dude! ;-)

and thanks for keeping us entertained. Chapter 6 was an eye-opening insight into drug development world.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2023, 06:12:22 AM »
Really enjoying this, thanks for writing!

I worked most of my "career" for a company that added to scientific progress. Felt virtuous telling people about it at cocktail parties. But the nitty gritty day to day felt pointless, or like we were working backwards, primarily assuaging egos and pursuing money at all costs. So I'm finding the story cathartic.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2023, 06:28:40 AM »
Chapter 6 really got me thinking. It is easy to fall into the mindset of big drug companies = evil money hungry trying to make money off sick people. I had not thought about the near impossible mission they are trying to do. Thanks for opening my point of view to see another side of the story.

I wonder if capitalism is the best way to develop drugs and advance medicine or if we would be better off with open source and government funded model? Regulations are another topic that could be a whole other story....

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2023, 12:30:25 PM »
Like almost everything, nothing is inherently good or bad (some dogs excepted). Losing the hero-villain narrative opens up a whole slate of interesting complexities, some of which I'd like to get into throughout this work.

To that end, regulating a free-market system is an interesting beast. It's been in the news a bit of late, with merck suing the government. The Tl;dr of this is the Inflation Reduction Act gives, among other things, Medicare the option to negotiate the prices for certain drugs. Just ten at first, then going up to 60 eventually. Merck is saying this impinges on their fifth amendment rights, and that it is tantamount to the government taking private property. On the surface, this argument may have some traction, at least to get some lengthy court time. But the more interesting bit are the carve-outs. For example, the new rules for negotiation don't apply to rare disease drugs (makes sense, as the incentives to develop a drug for few patients is lower, and the gov already provides incentives to develop these drugs). But when a rare drug gains a second indication (e.g., using drug A for disease A and disease B) it loses these protections. This flips the incentives for pharma companies, which usually used the incentives to develop a drug for rare and then expand it to the mainstream. The new rules disincentivize expanding the use of drugs, which seems both counterproductive and wasteful.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but the law of unintended consequences seems to be the strongest force of rule when free market and government collide.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2023, 02:16:34 PM »
It's annoying that insurance companies can negotiate, but the government can't?

Then there's something that (afaik) isn't widely known.  Insurance companies often reimburse pharmacies LESS than the drug costs the pharmacist (for those fancy new drugs, at least).  I had a pharmacist kindly suggest (not request) that I take my expensive name brand prescriptions elsewhere, since she was losing a few hundred dollars a month on them.

I don't know about the $127 after insurance you have in chapter 6 (I have a nice low copay), but a couple of my meds list at $500-1000/month (and these widely used drugs).

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2023, 06:27:21 PM »
Let's try the new method: Chapter 7 - Congrats on Your Hysterectomy is now roughed out here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/in-which-i-write-a-book-right-here-on-the-forums/msg3148388/#msg3148388. @jinga nation how do I post the title with the post linked, as you did?

@geekette I've not heard of pharmacies taking a loss on prescriptions. Doesn't make much sense to me, but maybe there's a reason, like selling gas cheap to sell more beer and snacks? I'm so far from the commercial side, so I wouldn't know.   

Incidentally, this pushes us to just over 20,000 words, which is about 80 pages in paperback form. Not a book yet, obviously, but what I would call a nucleus upon which to build. I'm now confident there's enough raw material to work with, given what's down on "paper" and what's left in the tank.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 06:30:53 PM by nippycrisp »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2023, 06:42:21 PM »
Let's try the new method: Chapter 7 - Congrats on Your Hysterectomy is now roughed out here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/in-which-i-write-a-book-right-here-on-the-forums/msg3148388/#msg3148388. @jinga nation how do I post the title with the post linked, as you did?

Your post URL is: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/in-which-i-write-a-book-right-here-on-the-forums/msg3148388/#msg3148388

But to have a different text displayed, editing the Insert Hyperlink function, set it as:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/in-which-i-write-a-book-right-here-on-the-forums/msg3148388/#msg3148388]Chapter 7[/url]
Which will display as:
Chapter 7

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2023, 09:02:05 AM »
@geekette I've not heard of pharmacies taking a loss on prescriptions. Doesn't make much sense to me, but maybe there's a reason, like selling gas cheap to sell more beer and snacks? I'm so far from the commercial side, so I wouldn't know.   
Yeah, pretty far from your area, but it's the Pharmacy Benefits Managers who negotiate your insurance plan's formulary, arrange for rebates (which they split with the insurance company), and set reimbursement rates. Independent pharmacies have to pay what their supplier charges, but reimbursement is set by the PBM.  There's often, apparently, a real negative gap between those numbers. 

Enjoying the book!

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2023, 07:12:52 PM »
Let's see if this linking technique works. Roughed out version of Chapter nine here:

Chapter 9

Subject: Foreign coworker foibles. Another one patched together from old forum posts, mostly, so it'll need work to trim it and change the tone of a post to a narrative. Let no one think I am even remotely done with anything I post - there will be a revision process that will take roughly as long as generating the material.

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no idea what the topic of the next chapter will be. Considering continuing the story of my co-worker Aaron, who begins living at work to save money.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2023, 10:49:51 PM »
Chapter 7:
So clearly you were running experiments. Were you tracking the data you collected? Did you draw any conclusions? Inquiring minds want to know. Can you publish a paper on John behavior manipulation via bad chocolate candy rewards?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2023, 11:15:44 PM »
I find there are some parallels  between pharmaceuticals and aerospace, specifically the Space side. Lay people don’t appreciate just how complicated and expensive it is to develop and launch something to work in space.

Sure, there are engineering challenges to design and build something that is weightless or in free fall, get bombardéd with solar radiation and atomic oxygen and experiences hundred of extreme temperature cycles. But even harder is showing that the thing you built is high reliability. Because once you launch something there is no maintenance or repair option (Hubble and Space Station being the exceptions).

Like the supply chain issues you touched upon for manufacturing drugs, you need very specific materials meeting exacting standards, and you need to be certain they are what they say they are, and not some cheap knockoff from China. So documentation and testing and verification is big and expensive. Do you have an issue with counterfeit chemicals or other lab equipment? Have you ever been part of the receiving inspection process for the materials you use, or are you merely the end user and someone else takes care of that?

I worked briefly at a very small pharmaceutical company that made custom-order chemicals for phase I drug trials. I was the college intern doing the receiving inspection testing, so I got the tiniest glimpse into the industry. I can appreciate that the only people out there fetishizing documentation more than aerospace is pharmaceuticals. It made me a very good note taker.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2023, 12:14:42 PM »
Roughed out Chapter 10 this morning.

Simple story about co-worker who moved into office building and thwarted security with the old haunted doll trick.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2023, 07:32:19 PM »
Roughed out Chapter 10 this morning.

Simple story about co-worker who moved into office building and thwarted security with the old haunted doll trick.

A great chapter for extreme cost savings, and real-estate hacking.  Hope Arron is now currently running a real-estate empire.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2023, 11:29:35 AM »
I love the echos of Yesterday‘s Tomorrow in that story. I had forgotten about the creepy dolls though, that is mad genius stuff.

Several typos, but I imagine you aren’t at the stage to scrub for that stuff yet.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2023, 11:33:24 AM »
Hey Y9!

Uploaded last part of Chapter 3.

That's the end of the easy part. Now I have to make hard decisions about how to tell the rest. I'd like to follow a rough chronological order (not strict, but generally), but I'd also like to spend some time on my more peculiar co-workers before expanding into more concrete topics. It's very possible I might not like the order and have to move chapters around later, but that's always a risk.

It feels a bit like a puzzle. I have all the pieces. I know all the pieces - hell, I lived them. But I don't quite know how they'll all fit together in this format, how to put them on a display that makes the experience accessible and interesting and engaging to a casual reader. I'm always amazed how guys like Stephen King or George Martin can write 1,200 page books with eighty characters and keep everything straight, all the while making it up free-form as they go.

It'll come, though. Just tackle it one post at a time:)
I can’t help you with structure, but just know I am ON BOARD for any and all stories of peculiar colleagues and their wtf habits.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2023, 05:32:04 PM »
Chapter 11 in the house, at least the first part of it. Conferences and Work Trips. Pretty self-contained.

Don't worry about typos, guys. It's all fast n' sloppy at this point.

@ysette9 I do draw from my real life for book inspiration sometimes, and yeah, the abandoned animal facility was definitely an inspiration when I wrote YT.

As for Aaron, we don't chat a ton, but I do keep tabs on him on Linkedin. Maybe I can do a where-are-they-now. Probably not, though; I doubt anyone in this book wants to be ID'ed.   

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2023, 07:32:55 PM »
Second part of Chapter 11 added. Rest of business trip, explaining pro wrestling to foreign executive, and a harrowing visit to a Japanese monkey park. The monkey bit I had to get from an email I sent to friends when it happened, so it's a tad rough-hewn.

It's been a difficult week for making progress, but doing a little is better than nothing. In the background, I've been doing some work with narrative structure. As I envision it, there will be three phases to the book. The honeymoon phase (new to job, with educational/funny/co-worker stories), a turning point where work loses some luster, and (spoiler alert), the point where I realize I don't want to be there, and we see some negative side of the business. Standard three phase narrative. It's been helpful for me to organize and plan, at least.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2023, 04:15:59 PM »
Chapter 12 is up.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2023, 01:45:55 PM »
Chapter 13 is up. This is a written-from-scratch chapter, where the story goes from lighthearted, science-driven bullshit to the first inflection point where I realize everything isn't all kittens and orgasms. This is the point in my life where the importance of FIRE was driven home. Not sure how much I'm getting into that yet, but it'll come up in future chapters for sure.

Back to writing at a torrid pace this week. For those who don't follow my journal, I'm in the process of leaving a different job at a different Pharma company at the moment, so the feels are going. Writing seems to be helpful in processing what it going on in real life.

(don't worry, this ain't the Illiad - the book's already got an ending) 

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2023, 02:55:34 PM »
PTF

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2023, 07:24:42 PM »
Loving it even more!  Do you want us to point out grammar errors or does your highly-paid editorial staff take care of that?

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2023, 10:53:29 AM »
Loving it even more!  Do you want us to point out grammar errors or does your highly-paid editorial staff take care of that?

Leave the small stuff. There will be a formal editing/reckoning when I've got a rough draft.

Chapter 14 added. It's a short postscript to the layoff chapter about a dumbass who lost his severance. Too short to be a full chapter, honestly, but it didn't feel right appending it to Chapter 13 - there was a break from events into the psychology of layoffs and how we respond; to go from that back into events didn't feel right. I might circle back and play with the structure. Maybe I'll add some more to the chapter, or prepare the transition into the next topic (which is tentatively a series of efforts I took to bring home free food from work, an odd segue perhaps).

Happy 4th, everyone!

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2023, 03:03:05 PM »
Thinking about how short Chapter 14, I added a second Second Part to it, in which my growing distrust of my employer manifest as increasingly aggressive acquisitions of free food. Not sure if I like the connection, but I'm hopeful. Felt like appropriate timing, since it was a July 4th story being told around July 4th in real time. Wrote it while watching golf on TV, so probably riddled with little typos.

Next part of the book is something that might not make it into the final cut - a lengthy digression where one of my co-workers begins a very public attempt to have an affair, which has disastrous results for our team. Might be pivotal, might be too beside the point, but we'll put it down and see how it works - can always clip out later.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »
This book is by far the funniest thing I've read in a long time!  Can't wait to read the rest.  Are you thinking about publishing it someday?

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2023, 09:21:58 PM »
This book is by far the funniest thing I've read in a long time!  Can't wait to read the rest.  Are you thinking about publishing it someday?

That's very kind of you to say. I don't know if I'll ever publish it. Let's see what the finished product looks like. One of the issues is, these are all real people. I've anonymized and a few details changed, so it's unlikely they'd be identified, but they'd probably recognize themselves and their former co-workers.

Speaking of, I've added the first part of Chapter 15, which is the most down-in-the-dirt part of this book. This is a tough section to incorporate, for reasons that will soon become obvious. What I've posted thus far is only about a quarter of the story, so it'll be a multi-chapter affair that really spirals away from science and into human beings behaving badly. Not pretty, and potentially derailing... but it's a hell of a story, if I do say. So I'm gonna try and thread it in and make it work. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2023, 01:05:46 AM »
In chapter 10:
"For starters, the building was patrolled by security at regular intervals by security."
Not sure the spelling check will correct it.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »
In chapter 10:
"For starters, the building was patrolled by security at regular intervals by security."
Not sure the spelling check will correct it.

Fixed - thanks!

Another monster writing session to add the second half of Chapter 15. Sweet Christmas, 5,800 words on the phenomenon that is Ron, with another 5,000 to finish his story out in the next chapter. That's more than 20% of the current book, all of which focuses on a horny dude unsuccessfully trying to get his rocks off. 

By my rough count, we're approximately at the halfway point of my planned material. Soon the uphill will turn into a downhill.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2023, 10:48:33 AM »
And now the rough draft of Chapter 16 is up. The turmoil at the end of the chapter marks, for me, what I hope is a before-and-after point. This is one of the things in the background we only see in the completed product, but interspersed with all the episodic stories is an arc of relationship between myself and corporate pharma. Wondrous and entertaining at first, then darkly humorous, then just mostly dark as I tire of things and lose motivation. Hopefully, the idea that MP is a place you'd want to stay at slowly declines as you read along. This is something that gets tweaked in editing, but it's also a piece that I think about when putting together each chapter. 

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2023, 05:10:39 PM »
This story has definitely improved with time!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2023, 08:42:48 AM »
Just finished reading chapter 16.  It does well at describing the situation and exit of Marty, but leaves the reader with so many questions of what really happened. Did Ron try something again with Mary and she finally went to HR or a lawyer?   I assume the details are missing due to HR/ legal issues as there is no real way of knowing or sharing those details.  However, I was expecting something to beat the JetBlue flight attendant's epic exit and was left wanting. 

Maybe some magical editing to insert some fictional details to fill in the details missing due to legal and HR confidentiality. I was expecting Ron to boast about his exploits while being escorted out of the building in front of everyone (giving you a thumbs up or nod) or something.  If you don't want to go that route, my suggestion would be to take out the part referencing JetBlue's exit as amateur hour compared to Ron. Or maybe I am missing the true comparison and it was the collateral damage, amount of resources and length of time or Ron's exit that was being described as amateur hour? 

P.S. I love the story and the writing.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2023, 02:14:33 PM »
Just finished reading chapter 16.  It does well at describing the situation and exit of Marty, but leaves the reader with so many questions of what really happened. Did Ron try something again with Mary and she finally went to HR or a lawyer?   I assume the details are missing due to HR/ legal issues as there is no real way of knowing or sharing those details.  However, I was expecting something to beat the JetBlue flight attendant's epic exit and was left wanting. 

Maybe some magical editing to insert some fictional details to fill in the details missing due to legal and HR confidentiality. I was expecting Ron to boast about his exploits while being escorted out of the building in front of everyone (giving you a thumbs up or nod) or something.  If you don't want to go that route, my suggestion would be to take out the part referencing JetBlue's exit as amateur hour compared to Ron. Or maybe I am missing the true comparison and it was the collateral damage, amount of resources and length of time or Ron's exit that was being described as amateur hour? 

P.S. I love the story and the writing.

There are a lot of gaps in my knowledge as to what happened at the end for Ron et al. I need to be a bit careful here; truth is an absolute defense against libel, but adding details that didn't happen in this sort of situation is a recipe for trouble, legally speaking. Obviously there's a little padding on the telling (I'm not as witty IRL as I am in the book, and I don't remember word-for-word conversations from 15 years ago), but I'm trying to keep the telling reasonably accurate.

That being said, the Jetblue Man comparison is a bit strained - that guy quit in style, while Ron was fired in disgrace. I'll rethink the analogy.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2023, 03:56:11 PM »
Added Chapter 17 just now. Short, transitional chapter, largely self-contained. Next one is about FIRE though(!).

Writing nonfiction, especially autobiographical stuff is soo different from writing novels. It's easy to get the material down, but you have to think about structuring a rigid narrative into a tellable tale. In a novel, you just change the setting or characters or plot to accommodate.

You also think about whether this entire idea (especially including writing the book in a public space) is an indulgent exercise, an excuse to talk about yourself because I'm just SO DAMN INTERESTING ALL THE TIME (sarcasm, obviously). That's a big reason it's taken 10+ years for me to write on this. Over the ensuing decade, I've never experienced workplaces as screwed up or as flamboyant as those I'm writing about. This, combined with the fact that the principals are scattered to the wind now, gives me just enough confidence that I'm not being a total wanker.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2023, 02:11:02 PM »
After a lovely summer holiday, I've added Chapter 18 to the mix. This is, by far, the most FIRE-related chapter in the whole book. It took a lot of time to decide what aspects of corporate life I wanted to include and how I identified FIRE as an escape plan. One thing I didn't include (but may consider later) is discussing the possibility of finding happiness elsewhere (i.e., finding another, happier job, as opposed to walking away from work entirely). I'm sure there are people who have jobs they genuinely enjoy, but I'm not one of them. My decidedly unscientific opinion is that most of us lack the temperament to be corporate drones our whole lives, even if we can do it. The changes in the bigcorp world have become untenable - that's why we see people going from job to job to job. Something's wrong, and they know it/are looking for it with each job change, but they can't find it because it doesn't exist. Not sure I want to paper this viewpoint all over the book, though.

On a different note: To be completely honest, there's a little bit of timeline fraudin' going on, as my dissatisfaction with work and discovery of FIRE came earlier than it seems here, but from a narrative sense, the Ron "affair" was the catalyst where I really, really, really decided I wanted out.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »
Chapter 19 is up! Chapter title: This Isn't Actually Cum. Despite being about an early-twenties intern I had, the chapter is completely SFW. No, seriously.

This one might get moved around, as it's pretty short.

Looking ahead, I can report that I'm very, very excited for Chapter 20, which I've tentatively titled The Brutality of Jane. I worked on it while on vacation, so it shouldn't be long until I get it up here.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2023, 10:18:46 PM »
Paging Chapter 20. One of the funner ones to write.

Two fun details that I was unable to fit into the chapter:

(1) Jane was aggressively into me (which is partly why I was privvy to the beat-downs I describe). I made deals with my coworkers that I was not to be left in a room alone with her, lest she somehow overnegotiate me into banging her. Also, despite her icy calm, Jane physically resembled what we now refer to as a Karen (including a "May I speak to the manager?" haircut). Not my type. Plus, I was scared of her.

(2) Jane worked entirely on commission. She made a percentage of what she saved us. Assuming she did this with regularity, Jane is a very rich woman today, and would be a very sweet sugar mommy. I might still have her number if anyone's interested.

Next time: Another near-miss layoff, but this time there are consequences. Also, a second co-worker contemplates an affair. 

catorbe

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »
PTF