Author Topic: I am salivating over this cargo bike after spotting one  (Read 5395 times)

Thegoblinchief

I am salivating over this cargo bike after spotting one
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »
Met a guy with kids at the park today. He had this bike - was super sweet.

Pricey ($2500) but a really cool variant on the cargo bike I've never seen before but he said has been around in Northern Europe for quite a long time.

I thought other MMMers, especially ones with several kids or who need to haul more groceries than the standard trailer might be interested. It's hard to tell in the picture, but that flat cargo bay is quite large.

Edit: added link

http://www.larryvsharry.com/Bullitt.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:17:18 PM by Thegoblinchief »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: I am salivating over this cargo bike after spotting one
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
No pic.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Derp. Added link to original post.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
Cool, but $3k for a bike makes combustion look affordable

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
Cool, but $3k for a bike makes combustion look affordable

Not a sane financial decision but I'd love to drop to a single vehicle. Not going to do it, but still thought it worth sharing :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Another one that's slightly less expensive:

http://www.workcycles.com/products/professional-transport-bikes/workcycles-modern-long-john-cargobike

Basic name for the type is a "long john".

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:17:29 PM »
A quick comment from someone who actually builds these for people every once in a while http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2012/10/sick-day-5-cargo-bike.html

-They are called "Bakfiets" in Dutch which just means "box bike". Often called Long Johns in the states.
-They are VERY practical for carrying large items (ie, boxes).
-They take up a TON of space and are pretty expensive/heavy/complex as compared to, say, a bike trailer.
-You can get a box with seatbelts for your kids and ride with them in front of you/talk to them, which is awesome.
-There are 2 companies that build them in the US: CETMA and Metrofiets. Both are pretty expensive but this is a specialty item. I also build them occasionally for customers but it's a huge PITA to ship them so I generally will only do it for local folks (ie UT).
-For casual cyclists living somewhere with hills, they may or may not work - expect the unladen bike to weigh about 60 pounds. Some companies make electric assist versions but the price is going to go up significantly.
-They are a bit different to ride than a conventional bike but not hard to figure out for any competent cyclist.

If you're on a budget and just want to haul groceries, a bike trailer is a much cheaper and more practical alternative. If you need to haul kegs of beer, or big boxes of what have you, they are great.

-Walt

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »
I know it's not a Larry vs Harry (wipes up drool) but Xtracycles and Big Dummies  show up on craigslist fairly often, at least in my area. I was very fortunate to have found one at a police auction. It's a lot heavier, but I typically only feel it when I try to get it up that step into the house- especially when it's full of groceries. The rest of the time, the added weight makes it the most stable bicycle I've ever ridden.  Since it's a converted Cannondale mountain bike , it's  still a very decent climber, too ( well at least better than that Varsity I used to have, LOL) If you can get one, do it- it means you never have to think if you have your trailer or not.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:00:25 AM »
I own a CETMA cargo bike (http://cetmacargo.com/) and an Xtracycle Edgerunner long tail cargo bike (http://www.splendidcycles.com/-/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/EdgeRunner-003aw.jpg) and I can not overstate how amazing these are for parents who like to ride bikes. The CETMA enabled me to ride with my oldest daughter and her little sister from a very young age while keeping a very close eye on the cargo. They love to sit and play and chat and sing and point out birds and dogs and... The difference between putting $3000 toward a CETMA or toward "combustion" is when you put it toward the CETMA you enrich your life and the life of your children in ways that you can't begin to imagine.

Both bikes are amazing for different reasons (the CETMA great for shorter distance trips, at slower speeds and great for conversations and the Xtracycle great for longer distances, higher speeds and less great for conversation - though the kids play and chat up a storm with eachother on the back of mine).

Anyway, I guess I started this reply to say the cost of these bikes can not begin to quantify the sheer joy they have brought to my family and i expect, when that sad day comes, that these bikes will have held their value much more so than any other bicycle - or trailer - that you might buy.

If you are seriously considering one I'd be happy to chat more with you about their virtues. :)

-Dave

(p.s. I've attached a few pics of the kiddos enjoying the ride! But some of the pics are them on old versions of the bikes we are talking about - we upgraded after we knew we wanted to spend the full amount)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »
I own a CETMA cargo bike (http://cetmacargo.com/) and an Xtracycle Edgerunner long tail cargo bike (http://www.splendidcycles.com/-/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/EdgeRunner-003aw.jpg) and I can not overstate how amazing these are for parents who like to ride bikes. The CETMA enabled me to ride with my oldest daughter and her little sister from a very young age while keeping a very close eye on the cargo. They love to sit and play and chat and sing and point out birds and dogs and... The difference between putting $3000 toward a CETMA or toward "combustion" is when you put it toward the CETMA you enrich your life and the life of your children in ways that you can't begin to imagine.

Both bikes are amazing for different reasons (the CETMA great for shorter distance trips, at slower speeds and great for conversations and the Xtracycle great for longer distances, higher speeds and less great for conversation - though the kids play and chat up a storm with eachother on the back of mine).

Anyway, I guess I started this reply to say the cost of these bikes can not begin to quantify the sheer joy they have brought to my family and i expect, when that sad day comes, that these bikes will have held their value much more so than any other bicycle - or trailer - that you might buy.

If you are seriously considering one I'd be happy to chat more with you about their virtues. :)

-Dave

(p.s. I've attached a few pics of the kiddos enjoying the ride! But some of the pics are them on old versions of the bikes we are talking about - we upgraded after we knew we wanted to spend the full amount)

Lol, kids love to play in convertibles too

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 06:30:56 AM »
Dragoncar, did you really lol? Seems a little overstated. Either way, I've been in a convertible with kids and on these bikes with kids and the experience is quite different.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »
I've been craving a cargo bike. Will probably never own one for many reasons (including that I'm 4'11" and require a special midget bike frame)... the kids just already seemed squished in the trailer (ages 2 and 3) and we ride in traffic enough that they are a long way from being able to ride solo.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
Dragoncar, did you really lol? Seems a little overstated. Either way, I've been in a convertible with kids and on these bikes with kids and the experience is quite different.

Actually, I rofl'd

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!