Author Topic: How was your weekend?  (Read 3175 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
How was your weekend?
« on: April 27, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
With the help of one of my roommates, I managed to install a new (variable speed) pool pump (92% energy use reduction!), replace the sand in the pool filter, replace the torsion springs for my garage door (one was broken - the door is SO smooth now, way better than it was before the old spring broke), and diagnose a weird hiccup my car has had for months!

I have a couple of little things left to do, but the big stuff is done!

Next up is to fix the car and install the hybrid water heater that will be here on Wednesday. :D

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How was your weekend?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
Swapped the snow tires off the sports car for the Summer tires.  Volunteered as a radio operator at our local marathon (rode my bicycle out there).  That's about it.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »
Cleaned a blocked gutter, fixed the exercise bike, cooked dinner for the week, and rested up from my overworking during the week. I learned about an investment approach (in Investor Alley) and did some analysis on it. Went for a lovely walk.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
Did you get a rebate on your variable speed pool pump from SRP?  How much was the pump?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
Did you get a rebate on your variable speed pool pump from SRP?  How much was the pump?
$100 rebate (I haven't sent it in yet). The pump (Hayward SP2302VSP) was $648 from Amazon, plus tax - total ~$701. $57 from Home Depot for PVC/fittings/etc (the previous install was terribad, but now it has disconnects so I won't have to cut pipe to replace filter sand next time).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
Saw friends Friday night at their house.  On Saturday, for my dad's birthday present, we took my folks to the Boston MFA's Art in Bloom exhibit for free, using our (fully tax deductible) annual membership and the two free tickets we received for the year.  Then, we went to the free grand tasting for a wine store in town, trying 28 different wines before cooking a delicious meal at home.

On Sunday, my mom took home my curtains to hem them for me (due to the design they oddly need to be hemmed up top, below the curtain rod pocket).  Thanks mom!  And we finally put up 4 pieces of art around the house (moved over a year ago).

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
Really curious about the actual energy savings and the durability.  Would love to see a couple of follow-up posts when you have lived with it for awhile.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
I cut some firewood for my workout yesterday, then started doing some work on my old Toyota pickup.  I rotated the tires, then started to replace the solenoids on the Warn winch with a newer more weather proof version.  While I had all the wires off I was cleaning up the electrical posts on the motor and broke one off while trying to get a corroded nut off.  Robert Pirsig calls stuff like that a 'gumption trap" and I think it's a great term.  Since I don't have any spare posts around, I was done with that for the day.  I assume the posts are available, as Warn still makes that model winch (8274).  I'll get it later.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »
Really curious about the actual energy savings and the durability.  Would love to see a couple of follow-up posts when you have lived with it for awhile.
The old one was over 1800 watts. This one is 55-60w at 900rpm, ~230w at 1700rpm (enough to run my vacuum), and ~950w at 3000rpm (max speed, which appears to be wholly unnecessary but I might use for an hour or two to skim the pool surface). Figuring 10-12 hours a day during the summer at 12-13c/kWh, it should make a huge difference.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!