Author Topic: How to handle parents who believe fake news?  (Read 64545 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: How to handle parents who believe fake news?
« Reply #600 on: September 26, 2021, 05:56:40 PM »
My dad texts/emails me info fake news on two constantly warring countries in Asia. I delete it.
When he brings it up, I ask, "Does this affect you? If no, then why spread this? If yes, then where did you get these news from? If on social media, did you verify by reading the entire article on the web to understand context? Did you then read an article from the other country's side? Did you you finally read about it on a 3rd country's website? If you do all 3, and then are more aware of the issues at hand, does your perspective change? Now you are free to believe what you want, after you've heard each side's story."
99% of the time 100% of the info is faked up BS being spread via FaceBook/WhatsApp. He's off FB now, and calmer. And he's blocking/deleting a majority of the nonsense sent to him on Whatsapp.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #601 on: September 27, 2021, 07:55:30 AM »
The depressing thing about the microchipping conspiracy is the reality that no one cares enough about average people to bother to microchip them. Like, sorry, but the government does not care enough about you as a 50-something person in middle America with a job as a home health aide to bother to track your every movement. You simply are not that important. To be clear, I put myself in this category as well but at least I have the self-awareness to realize that my individual life as a pretty average person does not warrant constant tracking by government.

I think it comes down to a general disbelief in governmental efficiency.  The thing the microchipping advocates don't seem to realize is that they've paid good money to purchase and now carefully carry around a tracking microchip everywhere they go . . . it's called a cell phone.  As inefficient as it can be, the government would certainly choose to track you via the tracking chip that costs them nothing vs paying for a new chip that they then have to inject into everyone's arms.

:P

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: September 27, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »
I´m watching the 45 rally in Georgia on and off.
45 is basically telling his followers that election management in this country is beyond repair.
Maybe you should tell your parents to boycott the coming elections as participation would just serve as support of the irredeemiably corrupt system.

Excellent.  Hopefully Trump blasts this insanity 24/7 to his fans and demoralizes them so much they don't turn out in the mid-terms (which are otherwise likely to be a blowout against the Dems, given historical patterns).

They don't need to vote, as long as they keep legislative control in enough states that those states will find a way to give electors to the Republican candidate in 2024.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #603 on: September 27, 2021, 08:21:09 AM »
The depressing thing about the microchipping conspiracy is the reality that no one cares enough about average people to bother to microchip them. Like, sorry, but the government does not care enough about you as a 50-something person in middle America with a job as a home health aide to bother to track your every movement. You simply are not that important. To be clear, I put myself in this category as well but at least I have the self-awareness to realize that my individual life as a pretty average person does not warrant constant tracking by government.

I think it comes down to a general disbelief in governmental efficiency.  The thing the microchipping advocates don't seem to realize is that they've paid good money to purchase and now carefully carry around a tracking microchip everywhere they go . . . it's called a cell phone.  As inefficient as it can be, the government would certainly choose to track you via the tracking chip that costs them nothing vs paying for a new chip that they then have to inject into everyone's arms.

True.  I also work implanting "microchips" (basically encapsulated RFID tags) into fin-fish for study.
Frankly the technology for "implantable microchips" is a fantasy.  RFID chips work because they are passive - they need to pass very close to a reader (composed of a electromagnetic field) to give off a signal, and then it's limited to a simple fixed bar-code number.  they are about half-the size of a grain of rice, still WAY bigger than what you could fit into a vaccine syringe.  It's basically just an ID tag, and it can't to anymore more than record when you pass by a reader -- which as you've pointed out your cell phone does several times every minute.  What they CAN'T do is any sort of computation, monitoring or recording.

The problem with any sort of device which actually has any storage or monitoring capabilities is they need a power source, and then a transmitter, and all of which needs to be encapsulated so your body doesn't destroy the sensitive parts. And while "small" devices exist (think the side of a nickel) - they have extremely short duration times and they are still several orders of magnitude large than what you could inject. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #604 on: September 27, 2021, 08:31:27 AM »
I´m watching the 45 rally in Georgia on and off.
45 is basically telling his followers that election management in this country is beyond repair.
Maybe you should tell your parents to boycott the coming elections as participation would just serve as support of the irredeemiably corrupt system.

Excellent.  Hopefully Trump blasts this insanity 24/7 to his fans and demoralizes them so much they don't turn out in the mid-terms (which are otherwise likely to be a blowout against the Dems, given historical patterns).

They don't need to vote, as long as they keep legislative control in enough states that those states will find a way to give electors to the Republican candidate in 2024.

And that is EXACTLY what the plan is.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
How to handle parents who believe fake news?
« Reply #605 on: September 27, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »

The most ridiculous part of this to me is that most people are ALREDY TRACKED by the cell phone in their pocket and the apps with location services they willingly signed up for. They spend energy on stupid conspiracy theory shit and probably don’t bother to turn off geotagging on the selfies they post online.
Edit: I see someone else just made the same point above
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:04:03 AM by ysette9 »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #606 on: September 27, 2021, 09:39:09 AM »

True.  I also work implanting "microchips" (basically encapsulated RFID tags) into fin-fish for study.
Frankly the technology for "implantable microchips" is a fantasy.  RFID chips work because they are passive - they need to pass very close to a reader (composed of a electromagnetic field) to give off a signal, and then it's limited to a simple fixed bar-code number.  they are about half-the size of a grain of rice, still WAY bigger than what you could fit into a vaccine syringe.  It's basically just an ID tag, and it can't to anymore more than record when you pass by a reader -- which as you've pointed out your cell phone does several times every minute.  What they CAN'T do is any sort of computation, monitoring or recording.

The problem with any sort of device which actually has any storage or monitoring capabilities is they need a power source, and then a transmitter, and all of which needs to be encapsulated so your body doesn't destroy the sensitive parts. And while "small" devices exist (think the side of a nickel) - they have extremely short duration times and they are still several orders of magnitude large than what you could inject.

I know, right? Every time I hear a variant of the 'someone's going to track me via microchip' I think about how INCREDIBLY DELIGHTED wildlife and fisheries biologists would be if only we had that tech.  If only, if only, if only.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #607 on: September 27, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »

I know, right? Every time I hear a variant of the 'someone's going to track me via microchip' I think about how INCREDIBLY DELIGHTED wildlife and fisheries biologists would be if only we had that tech.  If only, if only, if only.

If only, for sure.  Tracking migratory birds, mammals, fish, insects.  Seeing how much of its home range an animal is occupying over a given period of time.  No more radio collars.  Bliss.  Heaven.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: September 27, 2021, 11:18:16 AM »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #609 on: September 27, 2021, 11:41:29 AM »

If only, for sure.  Tracking migratory birds, mammals, fish, insects.  Seeing how much of its home range an animal is occupying over a given period of time.  No more radio collars.  Bliss.  Heaven.

My husband has a satellite tracker on a few individuals of a super-understudied hawk species right now, and it is awesome seeing the little blips on the map (nest grove or home range for months/occasional little exploratory blip/last few days, BAM, DOWN THRU MEXICO), but the data are still so coarse that it is just as frustrating as exciting. And back-pack mounts just objectively suck, even if they are the best option.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: September 27, 2021, 12:55:11 PM »

:P

I made this exact point to some guy at a hotel breakfast who I was chatting with (to be polite) this summer. He asked when I thought the government would be putting chips into people's heads, and I looked at him, looked at his phone, and said "why would they bother -- you already have one you carry around with you everywhere and all the time?"

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #611 on: September 27, 2021, 01:16:46 PM »
My dad texts/emails me info fake news on two constantly warring countries in Asia. I delete it.
When he brings it up, I ask, "Does this affect you? If no, then why spread this? If yes, then where did you get these news from? If on social media, did you verify by reading the entire article on the web to understand context? Did you then read an article from the other country's side? Did you you finally read about it on a 3rd country's website? If you do all 3, and then are more aware of the issues at hand, does your perspective change? Now you are free to believe what you want, after you've heard each side's story."
99% of the time 100% of the info is faked up BS being spread via FaceBook/WhatsApp. He's off FB now, and calmer. And he's blocking/deleting a majority of the nonsense sent to him on Whatsapp.

I think I misunderstood part of your post - the countries or the war is fictional? Or just the rumors that mention them are fictional?

If he believes in fictional wars or fictional countries he gets the blue ribbon for conspiracy believers today.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #612 on: September 27, 2021, 01:19:38 PM »
And some people tell the world every little thing they are doing using social media and search engines.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #613 on: September 27, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »
And some people tell the world every little thing they are doing using social media and search engines.

A little over a year ago we had this amazingly frustrating thread about how detailed cell-phone tracking could be. We went through the physical technology, how major carriers had pubically testified about selling location data to private companies, and how data mining has become so sophisticated that journalists, LEOs and private companies could micro-dissect movement patterns to a profound degree.

Despite understanding (and accepting) each of these parts, a couple posters could not accept that their cell phone could be used to follow their movements and infer patterns (eg favorite stores, speeding, affairs) without their knowledge.

It was truly bizarre. It basically came down to “I believe all of these things already exist but I don’t believe they could ever be used against me”.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: September 28, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »
The answer to the original question is that you can't handle parents who believe fake news.  In regards to the pandemic, you follow the cdc guidelines, urge them to get vaccinated, fail to persuade them, wait until they get sick, hope they don't die, and carry on avoiding certain topics of conversation.  You will NEVER get through to them.  My parents got COVID in early September when the hospitals were full in their area (still are), went on oxygen at home for weeks (one is still on oxygen), almost died, and are still convinced that the vaccine kills people. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #615 on: September 28, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
The answer to the original question is that you can't handle parents who believe fake news.  In regards to the pandemic, you follow the cdc guidelines, urge them to get vaccinated, fail to persuade them, wait until they get sick, hope they don't die, and carry on avoiding certain topics of conversation.  You will NEVER get through to them.  My parents got COVID in early September when the hospitals were full in their area (still are), went on oxygen at home for weeks (one is still on oxygen), almost died, and are still convinced that the vaccine kills people.

I don't agree.

I'm a medical professional and have successfully converted staunch anti-western medicine people to come around to accepting various treatments that they were absolutely, ferociously dead set against.

It's not impossible, it's just very difficult, and you have to work *with* the mechanisms that are convincing them in the first place, not against them. If they don't feel validated in their concerns, they will never listen.

We're talking about people who have been convinced of nonsense. If they can be lead to believe nonsense, they can be lead to believe anything. These are by definition the *most* easily convinced people out there.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #616 on: September 28, 2021, 09:42:50 AM »

I don't agree.

I'm a medical professional and have successfully converted staunch anti-western medicine people to come around to accepting various treatments that they were absolutely, ferociously dead set against.

It's not impossible, it's just very difficult, and you have to work *with* the mechanisms that are convincing them in the first place, not against them. If they don't feel validated in their concerns, they will never listen.

We're talking about people who have been convinced of nonsense. If they can be lead to believe nonsense, they can be lead to believe anything. These are by definition the *most* easily convinced people out there.

I'm just so worn down by this type of person that I've misplaced my capacity to hide my complete and utter disdain for what they believe.   I'm hoping I'll find it again and it will be full to the brim since it hasn't been used for several years.

Until then, your approach won't work for me.   They may be gullible as hell, but they're not stupid enough to miss the signs that I think they're a complete moron, and that ruins your approach for me.    I used to be good at it but the well ran dry.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #617 on: September 28, 2021, 10:24:55 AM »

I don't agree.

I'm just so worn down by this type of person that I've misplaced my capacity to hide my complete and utter disdain for what they believe.   I'm hoping I'll find it again and it will be full to the brim since it hasn't been used for several years.

Until then, your approach won't work for me.   They may be gullible as hell, but they're not stupid enough to miss the signs that I think they're a complete moron, and that ruins your approach for me.    I used to be good at it but the well ran dry.

I'm not arguing it's worth the effort, I'm arguing against the stance that it can't be done.

Whether or not you have the bandwidth for it is a different question.
But it *can* be done.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #618 on: September 28, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »

I don't agree.

I'm not arguing it's worth the effort, I'm arguing against the stance that it can't be done.

But it *can* be done.

To say that it can’t be done ignored the scores of formerly deeply entrenched people who have shifted their beliefs for a whole mess of reasons. Is it easy or likely to succeed? No. But that doesn’t make the effort futile

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: September 28, 2021, 11:20:21 AM »

But it *can* be done.

I agree.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: September 28, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »
I do think some people are persuadable, but I am now convinced that nothing will persuade my parents.  Nothing.  We didn't see them for almost two years until they got covid.  They haven't seen their grandkids because they are unvaccinated.  They were willing to trade off all those holidays with us just so they could remain unvaccinated.  They think the vaccine causes blood clots and covid does not.  They believe the vaccine has killed 150,000 people.  They believe covid has killed fewer people than the vaccine has.  They believe their newly acquired "natural immunity" will last forever and is far better than any vaccine.  I really hope they're right about it lasting, because they still believe the 4+ weeks (ongoing) of sickness and almost having lost my Mom is better than having been vaccinated.  I honestly don't think anything will get through to them at this point.  Maybe a second infection that actually does kill one of them?  Idk.  All I know is that I can't persuade them, and neither can my relatives in the medical profession with actual experience dealing with covid patients.  They just don't believe them.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #621 on: September 28, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »
I'm so sorry, @jrhampt

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: October 13, 2021, 05:53:41 PM »
Well, my mom is officially a Karen. Got a contractor over at their house doing a project. He raised the price by $100 and apparently mom threatened him that I would post negative reviews on social media. At least she's not a Karen likely to be videoed and go viral?

Now, I'm not thrilled with the contractor. I was considering using him for something at my house, but won't be now. However, I'm extremely not thrilled with my mom speaking for me. Which I told her. So now she's mad at me. I'm also not thrilled that apparently no one who was actually on site today is capable of clearly communicating with me what's going on.

Fun /s.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: October 13, 2021, 07:06:40 PM »
Well, my mom is officially a Karen. Got a contractor over at their house doing a project. He raised the price by $100 and apparently mom threatened him that I would post negative reviews on social media. At least she's not a Karen likely to be videoed and go viral?

Now, I'm not thrilled with the contractor. I was considering using him for something at my house, but won't be now. However, I'm extremely not thrilled with my mom speaking for me. Which I told her. So now she's mad at me. I'm also not thrilled that apparently no one who was actually on site today is capable of clearly communicating with me what's going on.

Fun /s.

Estimates are estimates.    You never know what you'll find once you start fixing something in a house.   $100 is NOTHING if more parts or time was needed.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: October 13, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »

Fun /s.

Estimates are estimates.    You never know what you'll find once you start fixing something in a house.   $100 is NOTHING if more parts or time was needed.

I'm well aware. Its working out ok money wise. It's more than I'd wanted to pay (I'm paying for most of the project), but it's also way more work than I expected so the overall price is fair. Project is to dig out rocks and other waste from the side of the house left over from redoing the driveway, then fill with gravel base and soil. There was way more rock than anyone expected, so more digging plus more materials to refill. I get it. But the communication all around sucked. The contractor messed up, mom messed up, dad messed up, and the contractor has now been instructed to only talk to me if there's problems. Which I think he's perfectly ok with, given mom's behavior today. Hopefully work will be done tomorrow, weather permitting.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: October 27, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »
I do think some people are persuadable, but I am now convinced that nothing will persuade my parents.  Nothing.  We didn't see them for almost two years until they got covid.  They haven't seen their grandkids because they are unvaccinated.  They were willing to trade off all those holidays with us just so they could remain unvaccinated.  They think the vaccine causes blood clots and covid does not.  They believe the vaccine has killed 150,000 people.  They believe covid has killed fewer people than the vaccine has.  They believe their newly acquired "natural immunity" will last forever and is far better than any vaccine.  I really hope they're right about it lasting, because they still believe the 4+ weeks (ongoing) of sickness and almost having lost my Mom is better than having been vaccinated.  I honestly don't think anything will get through to them at this point.  Maybe a second infection that actually does kill one of them?  Idk.  All I know is that I can't persuade them, and neither can my relatives in the medical profession with actual experience dealing with covid patients.  They just don't believe them.

OP here - I've accepted the same. Nothing will change their mind.  My last conversation with my mom was a while ago. We have stopped talking completely down from about 3-4 times a week before all the QAnon nonsense. Instead of slowly coming to the realization and doing some fact finding as other QAnon members have done, she has instead doubled down. She still denies covid exist even though all of her 3 kids have had it. She still fervently believes Hillary Clinton, the Queen of England and many democrats in Hollywood are torturing young girls for their adrenal glands. She basically believes every conspiracy now that has ever been invented. Moon landing, 911 inside job...all of them. And she still actively attends Trump rallys - I didn't realize they were still a thing.

I've become a member over at QAnon casualties on reddit, we arent alone as this has happened to many close families.  Something that worries me is that a number of former QAnon members have reported suicidal thoughts as they realized they were mistaken.

I worry about my parents now. I worry they will do something that places them on the FBI radar in one direction and I worry about potential suicide from the other direction. Its a shitty thing.  But ultimately I can only control my actions.   As for changing them or even mitigating the damage, its been a complete lost cause. I've given up.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: October 27, 2021, 01:28:24 PM »

OP here - I've accepted the same. Nothing will change their mind.  My last conversation with my mom was a while ago. We have stopped talking completely down from about 3-4 times a week before all the QAnon nonsense. Instead of slowly coming to the realization and doing some fact finding as other QAnon members have done, she has instead doubled down. She still denies covid exist even though all of her 3 kids have had it. She still fervently believes Hillary Clinton, the Queen of England and many democrats in Hollywood are torturing young girls for their adrenal glands. She basically believes every conspiracy now that has ever been invented. Moon landing, 911 inside job...all of them. And she still actively attends Trump rallys - I didn't realize they were still a thing.

I've become a member over at QAnon casualties on reddit, we arent alone as this has happened to many close families.  Something that worries me is that a number of former QAnon members have reported suicidal thoughts as they realized they were mistaken.

I worry about my parents now. I worry they will do something that places them on the FBI radar in one direction and I worry about potential suicide from the other direction. Its a shitty thing.  But ultimately I can only control my actions.   As for changing them or even mitigating the damage, its been a complete lost cause. I've given up.

Sorry, that's terribly sad to hear.  I have some fears that my mom and her husband will get lost down that rabbit hole, but thus far they seem to have kept off of the craziest sites and are limiting their conspiracy buy-ins to whatever Fox News tells them.  They certainly willingly embrace (and openly exhort) that Biden and the Dems are the root of all evil, but don't ever trumpet the really wacky stuff.  Our insistence on the importance of vaccination and keeping our children safe has played some role in their relatively prompt vaccinations, and we didn't even need to nag them about it. 

Here's hoping for a good outcome for you and your family. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #627 on: October 27, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »

Just wanted to say you aren’t alone on this forum either OP.
Sorry, and it sucks.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to commiserate @Kroaler
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:17:57 AM by nereo »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2021, 07:45:42 PM »
Something that worries me is that a number of former QAnon members have reported suicidal thoughts as they realized they were mistaken.

:(

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #629 on: October 27, 2021, 07:56:10 PM »

Another one here checking in to let you know you are not alone my wife has cut off all communication with her aunt recently and has reduced communication with her dad significantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #630 on: October 29, 2021, 11:50:42 AM »
Looks like Christmas this year will be out at my BiL's. It's less about the national politics, and more about the local Police/BLM stuff, but one issue seems to drive the other.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »
DW and I expect to get a dose this weekend from one set of the parents.

Wonder what the parents would think if we explained WE are "Leftists" too. That will will likely forever vote against their politics b/c of the past decade of their party leadership has done and said.

I frequently get email elaborating on their political beliefs, the latest FoxNews rumors, and 95%+ of it so far can be fact checked away in seconds.

We don't share their beliefs on most (any?) of the big topics. We could have conversations that would make their heads explode.

Puppies and kittens... Puppies and kittens... Puppies and kittens... ;)

We'll sit and listen to the latest FoxNews or Facebook rumor being repeated against a backdrop of reality TV - conveniently what DW and I agree is the worst of the worst of TV interspersed with local TV ads about the next big sale or high interest loan.

From the other parent: Hah, hah - aren't these reality people just the best?

From the first parent: Leftists this and socialist that... Biden is the worst president that this country has ever had. The worst! And Pelosi! Why, that woman....

SIGH.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #632 on: October 29, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »

Wonder what the parents would think if we explained WE are "Leftists" too. That will will likely forever vote against their politics b/c of the past decade of their party leadership has done and said.

I frequently get email elaborating on their political beliefs, the latest FoxNews rumors, and 95%+ of it so far can be fact checked away in seconds.

We don't share their beliefs on most (any?) of the big topics. We could have conversations that would make their heads explode.

We'll sit and listen to the latest FoxNews or Facebook rumor being repeated against a backdrop of reality TV - conveniently what DW and I agree is the worst of the worst of TV interspersed with local TV ads about the next big sale or high interest loan.

From the first parent: Leftists this and socialist that... Biden is the worst president that this country has ever had. The worst! And Pelosi! Why, that woman....

SIGH.

Ugh.  So why are you going?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #633 on: October 29, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »

SIGH.
The part I can never get over is the concern about “extreme liberal left” in the US when the left here is center-right in pretty much any other modern western democracy. Like people somehow don’t realize that “radical left” ideas like healthcare for all and paid parental leave and mandatory vacation time is just ho-him status quo everywhere else?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #634 on: October 29, 2021, 03:42:48 PM »

SIGH.
The part I can never get over is the concern about “extreme liberal left” in the US when the left here is center-right in pretty much any other modern western democracy. Like people somehow don’t realize that “radical left” ideas like healthcare for all and paid parental leave and mandatory vacation time is just ho-him status quo everywhere else?
Yes, but…

1) America is the greatest nation ever, period. Question that and feel our wrath. Just don’t ask what metrics are being used to rank us #1.

2) if you are critical about our society it means you don’t love this country. Please leave. Wanting to improve our society is an implicit acknowledgment that we might not in fact be the greatest.

2b) …except the government and anyone who works for the government. They can be criticized regardless of facts or merit, because less government is always better, and government is never the solution, but always the problem

3) everyone, everywhere wishes they could be from the US. Except ungrateful lefty liberals.

4) the Truest Americans are those hardworking blue-collar rural folks with conservative Christian values which make up about 15% of the overall populace. They make America run. The roughly 85% who aren’t these folks “don’t get” what real America is like

5) God bless our men and women in service, regardless of the current subject.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #635 on: October 29, 2021, 04:39:03 PM »

SIGH.
Yes, but…

1) America is the greatest nation ever, period. Question that and feel our wrath. Just don’t ask what metrics are being used to rank us #1.

2) if you are critical about our society it means you don’t love this country. Please leave. Wanting to improve our society is an implicit acknowledgment that we might not in fact be the greatest.

2b) …except the government and anyone who works for the government. They can be criticized regardless of facts or merit, because less government is always better, and government is never the solution, but always the problem

3) everyone, everywhere wishes they could be from the US. Except ungrateful lefty liberals.

4) the Truest Americans are those hardworking blue-collar rural folks with conservative Christian values which make up about 15% of the overall populace. They make America run. The roughly 85% who aren’t these folks “don’t get” what real America is like

5) God bless our men and women in service, regardless of the current subject.

Oh my, your time in Quebec has made you cynical.   ;-)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: October 30, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
Did anyone see the article and TV news show about couples who are divorcing due to their different Covid-19 vaccination beliefs?

Couples with decades-long marriages are breaking up.  The one woman on TV was profiled in shadow so as not to reveal her identity, but she explained that, as a breast cancer survivor it was recommended by her oncologist that she get vaccinated.  Her husband said that if she did he would divorce her. 
Apparently they'd had a decent marriage for many years but he became a radical right-winger, and then rabidly anti-vax.  She said it was "like a switch had been flipped."

Sadly, she's come to terms with this ending of her marriage and actually filed for the divorce herself. 

I found this all especially heart-breaking but, as others have said, there seems to be no solution.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #637 on: October 30, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »
Did anyone see the article and TV news show about couples who are divorcing due to their different Covid-19 vaccination beliefs?

Couples with decades-long marriages are breaking up.  The one woman on TV was profiled in shadow so as not to reveal her identity, but she explained that, as a breast cancer survivor it was recommended by her oncologist that she get vaccinated.  Her husband said that if she did he would divorce her. 
Apparently they'd had a decent marriage for many years but he became a radical right-winger, and then rabidly anti-vax.  She said it was "like a switch had been flipped."

Sadly, she's come to terms with this ending of her marriage and actually filed for the divorce herself. 

I found this all especially heart-breaking but, as others have said, there seems to be no solution.

As someone with an autoimmune disease, I would get a divorce is my husband chose not to be vaccinated, understanding the risk he was placing me in with that decision. It would be very difficult, & we have an otherwise very solid marriage. I would first attempt counseling & it wouldn't be an immediate thing, but if he wasn't willing to get the vaccine to protect my health...then, we would unable to be in a healthy marriage.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #638 on: October 30, 2021, 11:12:26 PM »

I dunno. Seems pretty sensible to end a marriage when one person has gone full cray cray.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #639 on: October 31, 2021, 05:51:42 AM »

I dunno. Seems pretty sensible to end a marriage when one person has gone full cray cray.

Or even more likely, the partner has always been a selfish, unreasonable ass, and this is finally the last straw.

Just because a marriage lasted a long time doesn't mean it was a happy, healthy one that whole time. Especially among the older generations. A shocking number of my senior patients really blossomed after their spouses died.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #640 on: October 31, 2021, 07:17:42 AM »
My poor dad is surrounded by this as well. He’s a lefty from way back—-civil rights marches, ban the bomb, end the war (Vietnam or Persian gulf), ERA all the way.   The man has been tear gases for sure. And he hasn’t gotten more conservative with age.

Now he’s in assisted living and seems to be surrounded by Fox News Nuts and it’s very hard on him. He doesn’t want to get into a fight every meal time, so he lets 90% of it go by, but sometimes he has to say something. He wants to know what happened to avoiding politics and religion in polite company.

So I hear all the conspiracy theories , second hand at least. It’s rough. I tell him to find other people to sit by. Even if they believe this crap, but don’t talk about it 24-7, that would be an improvement. After months, he seems to have found a little group of like-minded people. (Closer anyway, hard to get as far left as my dad here, lol). It reminds me of the Yeats quote, “the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.”  The saner have enough self awareness to not spout off constantly, so it’s harder to find them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #641 on: October 31, 2021, 08:01:16 AM »
He wants to know what happened to avoiding politics and religion in polite company.

I’ve come to realize this concept of avoiding politics and religion in polite company isn’t one that’s shared by many other countries. In many cultures it’s as expected as discussing sports. I’m beginning to think our complete inability to discuss religion and politics with those that share differing views has created the situation we are now in.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #642 on: October 31, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
He wants to know what happened to avoiding politics and religion in polite company.

I’ve come to realize this concept of avoiding politics and religion in polite company isn’t one that’s shared by many other countries. In many cultures it’s as expected as discussing sports. I’m beginning to think our complete inability to discuss religion and politics with those that share differing views has created the situation we are now in.

Yeah, I live in a political city. It's just a given that you talk politics here, and I've never been uncomfortable having a conversation with someone just because they hold differing political opinions. Certain political opinions? Yes, I will be uncomfortable, but not just differing opinions.

Religion here isn't nearly as politicized either, so differing religions is just kind of a non issue. "Oh you're a Muslim, and she's a Christian, and he's a Jew, and I'm Agnostic. Cool, no one cares, let's get started on this project."

That's not to say that certain political issues aren't a source of intense conflict, but even then, our issues aren't as clearly delineated along party lines. Largely because we don't just have two parties, so it's not unusual for two people who align on an issue to vote for different parties.

We also don't identify with parties the way Americans do. I'm not "a Liberal" if I vote for the Liberal party, not unless I register to be a member of that party, which only a minority of people bother doing. But for any given election, I vary in voting between 3 different parties.

So we really don't have that clear political identity that automatically implies where we stand on any given issue.

Suffice to say, yes, being accustom to having casual conversations about politics and religion, and not being automatically divided by political identity definitely makes for more cohesive communities.

The vast majority of my professional colleagues and friends are staunch fiscal conservatives, but I would never assume that that says anything about their social values or their religious affiliations. So those tensions just don't exist unless given a specific reason to.

ETA: that said, pp's specific scenario of being stuck in a home with those people sounds like torture to me
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:16:27 AM by Malcat »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #643 on: October 31, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

I first met my ILs in 2011 and FIL was renting about how stupid liberals were. So, obviously we have never had a productive conversation around politics, or even sociology. We can talk a bit about money: he is torn on FIRE, being happy we get the financial stuff but confused that his son might quit 15-20 years earlier yet than he was laid off. After all, how can you retire without owning a big house?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #644 on: October 31, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
What Malcat wrote could have been written by me, and a lot of other Canadians.  I joined a provincial political party once ( a bunch of us did), to get the local candidate I wanted instead of a parachuted-in candidate.  Once that election was over I let my membership lapse.

A bit off topic, sorry - The American political system seems set up to foster divisiveness.  Plus I don't understand this registration thing - the polls are private, no one knows how you vote, but if you are registered for a political party isn't it a valid assumption that you vote that way?  And lose the privacy of the polling booth?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: October 31, 2021, 10:03:10 AM »
What Malcat wrote could have been written by me, and a lot of other Canadians.  I joined a provincial political party once ( a bunch of us did), to get the local candidate I wanted instead of a parachuted-in candidate.  Once that election was over I let my membership lapse.

A bit off topic, sorry - The American political system seems set up to foster divisiveness.  Plus I don't understand this registration thing - the polls are private, no one knows how you vote, but if you are registered for a political party isn't it a valid assumption that you vote that way?  And lose the privacy of the polling booth?

Depending on the election, yes.  I went to vote in some local elections a few years ago, and when I had to give my party registration at the check in table, the guy checking me in actually stopped proceedings dead and stared at me.  Then he kind of chuckled and said, "well, you're the first one of of THOSE [registered democrat] we've had vote in this election! I didn't think this city had any."

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: October 31, 2021, 10:26:49 AM »
As another Canadian, I vote for either of 2 parties, but never the third major one.  (There are also 2 smaller, less popular parties.) It depends on how I think that voting one way or another might sway the minority/majority status of whoever does win.  It's strategic voting, which I guess doesn't work with a two party system.  My only political identity is who I am NOT.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #647 on: October 31, 2021, 10:31:58 AM »
As another Canadian, I vote for either of 2 parties, but never the third major one.  (There are also 2 smaller, less popular parties.) It depends on how I think that voting one way or another might sway the minority/majority status of whoever does win.  It's strategic voting, which I guess doesn't work with a two party system.  My only political identity is who I am NOT.
Voting against someone, or voting out an incumbent, is a completely valid use of a vote.  There are too many people who will say they don't vote because they dislike all politicians, but in that case just vote for a new one to come in each time in order to ensure a level of turnover that cuts down on the corruption/complacency.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: October 31, 2021, 11:11:49 AM »
Man what I would give for the discussions to be about standard politics or touchy religious subjects.

Instead it's about the immediate need to stop what was already exposed and named pizzagate years ago. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #649 on: October 31, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »

Lol, yeah, I think a lot of us are "just not the fucking blue guys" voters.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!