Author Topic: How to handle parents who believe fake news?  (Read 64703 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: How to handle parents who believe fake news?
« Reply #550 on: June 07, 2021, 08:43:11 AM »
Honestly, I've just plain run out of caring when it comes to people who have refused to believe Covid is real and who have refused to take the appropriate medical precautions and who have refused to get vaccinated.

I simply don't care anymore if they die from it.    They and their ilk have just worn me out with one stupidity after another for the last 5 years and the emotional well of caring is bone dry.

I get it. I’m beyond sick of the childish whining and ridiculous selfishness. Compared with many so-called adults, my young niece and nephew and friends’ children (ages 4-8) have complained much less about mask mandates and school disruptions over the last year, and none of them are eligible yet for vaccination (and their parents will get them signed up ASAP). I do have sympathy for the medical workers who still have to deal with this bullshit after 15 months and 612K deaths (in my country).

Isn't "self-responsibility" a big theme with the conservatives? As in we can't have safety nets because those people (those people other than conservatives) should have demonstrated self-responsibility and did A,B and C...

I'm at a place where if the anti-vaccine folks can't be brave and go get their shots like big boys and girls and they get sick - that's on them. When we were all waiting for vaccine availability, being extra cautious, wearing masks, staying home - I worried for us all. Not any more.

Let's make sure that anyone who wants their shots, has the opportunity to get them - provide transportation, child care, time off from work, etc. I'd like to see the government require people who can to get the damn shots.

Have the culture wars always been a thing? Are recent events (20 years) just exposing how widespread the problem is? Stupid I know, but I just never noticed until the rise of social media, conservative talk radio, Faux News, etc. I think DW and I were busy raising kids, working too much, renovating our houses, etc.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:48:13 AM by Just Joe »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #551 on: June 07, 2021, 09:42:18 AM »
That rat-bastard Limbaugh started his version of the culture wars about 1988.    Gingrich was doing the same thing in politics.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #552 on: June 07, 2021, 09:44:57 AM »
That rat-bastard Limbaugh started his version of the culture wars about 1988.    Gingrich was doing the same thing in politics.

Rat-bastard Presidential Medal of Freedom holder.  :P

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #553 on: June 07, 2021, 10:29:42 AM »
Honestly, I've just plain run out of caring when it comes to people who have refused to believe Covid is real and who have refused to take the appropriate medical precautions and who have refused to get vaccinated.

I simply don't care anymore if they die from it.    They and their ilk have just worn me out with one stupidity after another for the last 5 years and the emotional well of caring is bone dry.

I get it. I’m beyond sick of the childish whining and ridiculous selfishness. Compared with many so-called adults, my young niece and nephew and friends’ children (ages 4-8) have complained much less about mask mandates and school disruptions over the last year, and none of them are eligible yet for vaccination (and their parents will get them signed up ASAP). I do have sympathy for the medical workers who still have to deal with this bullshit after 15 months and 612K deaths (in my country).

Isn't "self-responsibility" a big theme with the conservatives? As in we can't have safety nets because those people (those people other than conservatives) should have demonstrated self-responsibility and did A,B and C...

I'm at a place where if the anti-vaccine folks can't be brave and go get their shots like big boys and girls and they get sick - that's on them. When we were all waiting for vaccine availability, being extra cautious, wearing masks, staying home - I worried for us all. Not any more.

Let's make sure that anyone who wants their shots, has the opportunity to get them - provide transportation, child care, time off from work, etc. I'd like to see the government require people who can to get the damn shots.

I'm hoping for proof-of-vaccination requirements for a whole bunch of activities.  So I can say to people who told me "If you're that worried about Covid, just stay home," when I complained about people flouting the health orders, "Well, I guess you'll just have to stay home."

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #554 on: June 07, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »
If you're worried about proof-of-vaccination requirements by a private company, just stay home.  Simple.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: June 07, 2021, 11:18:36 AM »
I'm with the others on vaccine.  From what I can see, anyone who wants one can get one.  My local Walmart takes walk ins and it's super fast.    Anyone who chooses not to, well whatever, I'll put them in the natural selection category along with the other generally poor chooses they make.

Maybe natural selection will start placing an emphasis on critical thinking 🤔.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #556 on: June 07, 2021, 11:29:51 AM »
Yeah, I told my folks that now that my husband and I are vaccinated that they can come over, and if they get sick it's their responsibility.  I'm not going to take more care of their health than they are willing to.  I know it sounds callous, but I've cajoled them, talked about the latest science, talked them through what their Red State news articles are glossing over/misinforming them of.  At this point there's no excuses.  They know that both SO and I got the vaccine with no side effects.  They know that it would protect them from serious illness.  If they choose to believe right wing media over their own doctors and daughter?  That's their choice.

I hope they don't get seriously sick, but I can't protect them from themselves.  I can ensure SO and I aren't the vector that kills them, but I can't make them wear masks or get vaccinated.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #557 on: June 07, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »

Yep, from an orange turd who should be in prison for treason right now.

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #558 on: June 07, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »
If you're worried about proof-of-vaccination requirements by a private company, just stay home.  Simple.

Have any kids under 12 or know anyone who does? They can't be vaccinated. I dont like the approach of telling people to just stay home as it will catch people who can't be vaccinated.

here is a link to the CDC website that lists out people who cant/shouldnt be vaccinated

EDIT to add - previous link wasn't to the right part of CDC website. new link below

https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine

Point being, not everyone can take it. At least not yet.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:13:43 PM by Tyler durden »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: June 07, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »

Have any kids under 12 or know anyone who does? They can't be vaccinated. I dont like the approach of telling people to just stay home as it will catch people who can't be vaccinated.

here is a link to the CDC website that lists out people who cant/shouldnt be vaccinated

EDIT to add - previous link wasn't to the right part of CDC website. new link below

https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine

Yes I know I think you missed my point.  The same people that bitched and lamented reasonable covid restrictions (ie wear a mask, social distance) were saying "if you don't want covid you can just stay home" are now bitching about private companies requiring proof of vaccination.  I'm completely dismissing their argument that proof of vaccination is overreaching because they simply have the option to stay home and not patronize those companies. If they are afraid of having to show covid documentation then they can stay home while the rest of go on living our lives. 

No place is requiring children to prove vaccination because children can't get vaccinated.  Anyone else that legitimately can't get the vaccine for some reason has my sympathies and it sucks for them that a bunch of selfish assholes are causing them hardships.

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #560 on: June 07, 2021, 12:45:22 PM »

Yes I know I think you missed my point.  The same people that bitched and lamented reasonable covid restrictions (ie wear a mask, social distance) were saying "if you don't want covid you can just stay home" are now bitching about private companies requiring proof of vaccination.  I'm completely dismissing their argument that proof of vaccination is overreaching because they simply have the option to stay home and not patronize those companies. If they are afraid of having to show covid documentation then they can stay home while the rest of go on living our lives. 

No place is requiring children to prove vaccination because children can't get vaccinated.  Anyone else that legitimately can't get the vaccine for some reason has my sympathies and it sucks for them that a bunch of selfish assholes are causing them hardships.

I see what your saying. The tables have turned sort of thing.

I dont take much issue with private companies doing what they want to do. It seems we are in this weird phase now. I walk into the grocery store this weekend and the sign reads "masks optional for vaccinated persons". This seems absurd, as who is going to even know and who is going to enforce it ?

Just my hunch but even the proof of vaccine thing I would think would phase out soon. Seems like it would be to easy to fake, and some 16 year old kid at a retail store isn't going to care to enforce it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #561 on: June 07, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »
Maybe for something like a cruise ship I could see it happening, but not anywhere else.

It also appears that mask mandates are just done.  Some stores still have signs up requiring masks, but none of the places I have gone into actually enforce anything and a decent percentage of the clientele and employees aren't wearing masks.  You can pretty much just go maskless now anywhere in michigan with no proof.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #562 on: June 07, 2021, 01:28:37 PM »
To the question of enforcement or private businesses asking for vaccination forms, I'd add camps & sports.

I have teenagers who are both double vaccinated. They are in the two week waiting period for effectiveness. I can definitely envision camps adding a "proof of vaccine or mask" requirement. They have to wear masks now for sports camps, games, practices, etc. Once they are vaccinated, providing proof of vaccination could allow them to play without a mask. It's no fun to play sports with masks, but they have done it all along to keep themselves & others safe.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: June 07, 2021, 02:12:05 PM »
It also appears that mask mandates are just done.
That was a given once the Republicans in the Arizona legislature made the stunning logical deduction that mask mandates obviously aren't needed because the CDC didn't mandate wearing masks during the AIDS epidemic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #564 on: June 07, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »
That was a given once the Republicans in the Arizona legislature made the stunning logical deduction that mask mandates obviously aren't needed because the CDC didn't mandate wearing masks during the AIDS epidemic.

Bold move on that play.  Can't fault logic when it's not present.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #565 on: June 07, 2021, 03:08:05 PM »

For a non-american it is kind of hard to imagine how people like that get elected. Ok, if you get one bad apple in the mix but several...

Some countries require proof of vaccination to let in tourists without a test. The EU are developing a vaccination passport that allows people to enter without test if they have the passport/proof of vaccination.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: June 07, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »

For a non-american it is kind of hard to imagine how people like that get elected. Ok, if you get one bad apple in the mix but several...

Some countries require proof of vaccination to let in tourists without a test. The EU are developing a vaccination passport that allows people to enter without test if they have the passport/proof of vaccination.

The Republican party is chock full of them nowadays.   It's a sad change from the party I grew up in.

Here's another shining example of the kind of doofus beloved by party stalwarts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k4pMTsa1Kw&t=131s

And then there's Marjorie Taylor Greene, the Secret Jewish Space Lasers Are Starting the California Wildfires representative from NW Georgia...

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #567 on: June 07, 2021, 06:17:20 PM »
Just saw a sign on a neighbour's lawn that says "Mask-Free Zone."  And he's an educational assistant.  I wonder if teachers will be required to get vaccinated, since under 12s can't (yet).  Would you want your kid in close proximity all day long to someone who isn't vaccinated?  And how strongly are some people anti-vaxxers?  Enough to give up their jobs?  I wonder ............

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #568 on: June 07, 2021, 06:35:20 PM »
Just saw a sign on a neighbour's lawn that says "Mask-Free Zone."  And he's an educational assistant.  I wonder if teachers will be required to get vaccinated, since under 12s can't (yet).  Would you want your kid in close proximity all day long to someone who isn't vaccinated?  And how strongly are some people anti-vaxxers?  Enough to give up their jobs?  I wonder ............

I don't want kids in the care of people that GD willfully ignorant, vaccinated or not!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #569 on: June 08, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »

Yep, from an orange turd who should be in prison for treason right now.

I had a little happy moment when Limbaugh died. I'll do the same when Gingrich, Trump and whole list of hateful public figures finally leaves this world (hopefully through natural processes). What these people have done to our society has been terrible.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #570 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »
I saw bits of Trump's speech in NC (accidentally, clicked on a link) and he seems more demented (medically, I mean, not just morally) than ever.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #571 on: June 08, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »
I saw bits of Trump's speech in NC (accidentally, clicked on a link) and he seems more demented (medically, I mean, not just morally) than ever.
It came across as very... subdued.  The outrageous lies were no less outrageous - just his delivery and the crowd's reaction. It was like an aging rocker playing his greatest hits to a tepid audience for the 5,000th time, and ranting about "the man" in between sets despite.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: June 08, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
I've followed a very strict rule of not clicking on any link with "Trump" in the headline (exception: the excellent "Trump outrage of the Day" discussion over in Off-Topic. Our attention is what created him. Starving him of it is the only way to defeat him.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #573 on: June 08, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »
did you just compliment your own thread @talltexan ?  Well done...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #574 on: June 08, 2021, 12:01:49 PM »
@nereo I should get that meme picture of me placing a medal around my own neck!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #575 on: June 09, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
I've followed a very strict rule of not clicking on any link with "Trump" in the headline (exception: the excellent "Trump outrage of the Day" discussion over in Off-Topic. Our attention is what created him. Starving him of it is the only way to defeat him.

The AZ fraudit is pretty much ignored by the media. It's rarely even on the most visited MSM site (FoxNews).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #576 on: June 09, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »

The AZ fraudit is pretty much ignored by the media. It's rarely even on the most visited MSM site (FoxNews).

My unscientific observations are that a substantial majority of citizens don't even realize the AZ audit is still ongoing.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #577 on: June 11, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
My unscientific observations are that a substantial majority of citizens don't even realize the AZ audit is still ongoing.
That’s probably a good thing. Odds are extremely slim that it will affect anyone outside of Arizona. They decided to waste a bunch of money to pay for some pointless exercise to mollify their Qanon base, end of story.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #578 on: June 11, 2021, 11:20:51 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/06/10/trailer-arizona-model-republicans-trek-phoenix-planning-2020-election-audits-back-home/

It seems there are many powerful people within conservative politics who are trying to make it affect people outside of Arizona.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #579 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »
I think this is wise.

IRL we should all practice our clueless face and scrunch up our mouth and pull our eyebrows down while cocking our heads and say “what? Why are you bringing HIM up? What does he have to do with anything these days?”

Render him irrelevant.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:49:14 PM by iris lily »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #580 on: June 11, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/06/10/trailer-arizona-model-republicans-trek-phoenix-planning-2020-election-audits-back-home/

It seems there are many powerful people within conservative politics who are trying to make it affect people outside of Arizona.

There are many powerful people within conservative politics who are traitors or who will not oppose traitors if it benefits them.

Some tried court-based coups except the courts have mostly exposed them for the sham lawsuits they are, but they haven't given up.

Some tried for an after-the-fact, smoke-filled-room style change of the vote tallies, i.e, just lying about it, but one conservative in the right job said no and revealed it happened.

Some tried for a mob-based coup except the mob, being die-hard Trump supporters, was too dumb to pull it off.

Some are actively calling for a military coup.

And that's a sad day for our country.

We need to vigorously investigate, indict, convict if guilty, impeach and remove if in office, execute if allowed by law and if not, sentence to the maximum possible consecutive terms in prison.

We didn't "just move on" when WWII was over.   We investigated for war crimes and hung a bunch of the rat bastards we caught and imprisoned the rest.

We need to do the same here.   

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #581 on: June 13, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
That’s probably a good thing. Odds are extremely slim that it will affect anyone outside of Arizona. They decided to waste a bunch of money to pay for some pointless exercise to mollify their Qanon base, end of story.

Will be quite funny if the audit results in a bigger winning margin for Biden.

fixie

• Stubble
« Reply #582 on: June 14, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
Almost as if they're complete hypocrites with no actual principles. 

It's not necessary hypocritical.

Ephesians 6:5-8 “Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ”

The bible (new and old testament) was pro-slavery.  Black people weren't following the bible because they weren't being good slaves.  Naturally some Christians who believed the words of the bible in the context they were written took issue with that.

I actually had a Trumpite send me a list of Bible references to justify why slavery in the old South wasn't a bad thing.     I was not nice in return.    I was intentionally scathing in my reply.

And the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution:  "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #583 on: June 14, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »

Ephesians 6:5-8 “Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ”

The bible (new and old testament) was pro-slavery.  Black people weren't following the bible because they weren't being good slaves.  Naturally some Christians who believed the words of the bible in the context they were written took issue with that.

I actually had a Trumpite send me a list of Bible references to justify why slavery in the old South wasn't a bad thing.     I was not nice in return.    I was intentionally scathing in my reply.

And the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution:  "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Anyone who has been convicted as a crime can be made a slave - at least as far as the constitution is concerned?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #584 on: June 14, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »

Anyone who has been convicted as a crime can be made a slave - at least as far as the constitution is concerned?

Yep. Which explains a hell of a lot about the US prison system.

The movie Thirteenth is particularly illuminating on this subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_(film)

fixie

• Stubble
« Reply #585 on: June 14, 2021, 03:03:31 PM »

I ain't saying it's right, but that is the text of the 13th Amendment, and we do have quite a robust carceral state that pays prisoners virtual "slave wages."  And those workers are deprived of all sorts of rights.  Now, it's not strictly chattel slavery, but there are many types of historical slavery...gradations, if you will.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: June 15, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »
Well, it seems i need to join you here in this thread.  Not a parent but another close family member is, apparently, now a huge conspiracy theorist, believer that the US election was stolen, doomsay prepper etc.  No idea how to handle this.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #587 on: June 15, 2021, 10:37:57 PM »
1. Make your own fake news site that aligns with their beliefs.

2. Feed the beast and send them links to your articles.

3. After a month or two post an article with the title "Relatives Name" is a Baby Eater, or something similar but personal and distasteful.

4. Then make a big fucking deal about it on social media pretending it's true and being outraged, and how you can't believe someone in your family would do such a thing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:18:16 AM by gooki »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: June 16, 2021, 02:21:06 AM »
Great idea!!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #589 on: June 16, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
1. Make your own fake news site that aligns with their beliefs.

2. Feed the beast and send them links to your articles.

3. After a month or two post an article with the title "Relatives Name" is a Baby Eater, or something similar but personal and distasteful.

4. Then make a big fucking deal about it on social media pretending it's true and being outraged, and how you can't believe someone in your family would do such a thing.

All that does is generate mistrust in the fake site you created.  When Fox news had the temerity to not lie about who won the election in Arizona they didn't convert their viewers - just incurred their wrath and distrust, leading to more OAN viewers.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: June 16, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »
It's crazy how quick they turned on fox news, and Mike pence and the dirty republicans in the party that won't support the truth.... Etc etc.

I mean they just rapidly turned on everything they recently supported when it didn't fit the narrative.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #591 on: September 25, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »

You nailed it. Please consult your crystal ball again and let us know when the top is in.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: September 25, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »

You nailed it. Please consult your crystal ball again and let us know when the top is in.

I have to admit, @marty998 , I scoffed at that post of yours. It's freakin' Cyber Ninjas doing the audit -- how is it going to end up besides Trump squeaking out a win?

It's crazy how quick they turned on fox news, and Mike pence and the dirty republicans in the party that won't support the truth.... Etc etc.

I mean they just rapidly turned on everything they recently supported when it didn't fit the narrative.

Don't forget the Supreme Court, who are a bunch of cucks.

To tie these 2 posts together, Trump is declaring that the Arizona audit proves that he won.

Quote from: trump
Huge findings in Arizona! However, the Fake News Media is already trying to ‘call it’ again for Biden before actually looking at the facts — just like they did in November!

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #593 on: September 25, 2021, 07:05:23 PM »
I´m watching the 45 rally in Georgia on and off.
45 is basically telling his followers that election management in this country is beyond repair.
Maybe you should tell your parents to boycott the coming elections as participation would just serve as support of the irredeemiably corrupt system.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:17:28 PM by PeteD01 »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: September 25, 2021, 09:45:43 PM »

I have to admit, @marty998 , I scoffed at that post of yours. It's freakin' Cyber Ninjas doing the audit -- how is it going to end up besides Trump squeaking out a win?

Don't forget the Supreme Court, who are a bunch of cucks.

To tie these 2 posts together, Trump is declaring that the Arizona audit proves that he won.

Quote from: trump
Huge findings in Arizona! However, the Fake News Media is already trying to ‘call it’ again for Biden before actually looking at the facts — just like they did in November!

I took some risk off on Monday last week - when Evergrande rattled the markets. Didn't sell up everything, but enough to make me sleep a little better. Of course I missed the rebound gains over the last week, but that's the price you pay for conviction. You're never going to pick the exact top* and get back in at the exact bottom.

When every news organisation in the world is mentioning this is China's Lehman Brothers moment you stand up and take notice. The more I look at it, the more I see the house of cards is gonna come down** and of all places the best analysis I've seen of it is on r/wallstreetbets.

I am no expert obviously, and we will know in the next 30 days now that Evergrande is not honouring all obligations and is in a default grace period. The problems are still there, and are worse than they are last week. They don't just magically go away when you strike a deal with a small number of bondholders.... you'll never be able to raise debt again when you do that - your credibility in the markets is shot to pieces. Over the next month we find out who the remaining bond and bag holders are.

*Except for this one time I held shares in a small funds management company and my sell trade to exit was for that stock an absolute peak bubble stupidity price of $4.61 / share, all time high. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Within a couple of years that company was basically liquidated and then taken over for less than a dollar.

** The markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent, especially when propped up by the CCP. What I find really incongruent is that we all know communism has failed everywhere and everytime in history, but somehow, a good portion of the world thinks China can still make it work. Perhaps the can has finally been kicked too far down the road and is teetering on the edge of the cliff...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:51:03 PM by marty998 »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #595 on: September 26, 2021, 08:33:32 AM »
I´m watching the 45 rally in Georgia on and off.
45 is basically telling his followers that election management in this country is beyond repair.
Maybe you should tell your parents to boycott the coming elections as participation would just serve as support of the irredeemiably corrupt system.

Excellent.  Hopefully Trump blasts this insanity 24/7 to his fans and demoralizes them so much they don't turn out in the mid-terms (which are otherwise likely to be a blowout against the Dems, given historical patterns).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #596 on: September 26, 2021, 08:48:35 AM »
Posting here because it seemed a good place to share…

We’ve got an aunt who’s gone deep down the rabbit-hole of OAN-style conspiracy theories.  She’s a part-time health care professional and the great-aunt to our unvaccinated 3 year old and daughter to an 89 year old with failing health in hospice care.

She’s been notified by her employer that if she fails to get vaccinated by next week then she will be put on indefinitely leave without pay. We have similarly told her that we won’t allow her in our home unvaccinated and won’t meet with her anywhere indoors or unmasked outdoors.  Hospice care forbid her from seeing her own father.

She’s defiant unfortunately, going on about how George Soros and Bill Gates are micro-implanting us with the vaccines and that it’s all a hoax and a Jewish cabal. We’ve tried pleading, reasoning, appealing to her shared love of family… all has seemingly further entrenched her rejection of all things pandemic-related.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #597 on: September 26, 2021, 08:52:41 AM »

We’ve got an aunt who’s gone deep down the rabbit-hole of OAN-style conspiracy theories.  She’s a part-time health care professional and the great-aunt to our unvaccinated 3 year old and daughter to an 89 year old with failing health in hospice care.

She’s been notified by her employer that if she fails to get vaccinated by next week then she will be put on indefinitely leave without pay. We have similarly told her that we won’t allow her in our home unvaccinated and won’t meet with her anywhere indoors or unmasked outdoors.  Hospice care forbid her from seeing her own father.

She’s defiant unfortunately, going on about how George Soros and Bill Gates are micro-implanting us with the vaccines and that it’s all a hoax and a Jewish cabal. We’ve tried pleading, reasoning, appealing to her shared love of family… all has seemingly further entrenched her rejection of all things pandemic-related.

I'm sorry. Unfortunately, she's made her choice. Her cult beliefs are more important than her own health or relationships with family. All you can do is leave the metaphorical light on in hopes that she'll snap out of it before she destroys or loses her life.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #598 on: September 26, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »

My partner is dealing with this with her family in Alaska.
Dad, mid 80's, recently hospitalized with pneumonia, his son (partner's brother) and daughter in law are taking care of him at home, all unvaxed. And they love to take dad out shopping, visiting friends, etc
Partner wrote a very good text pleading with her brother to get himself and his family vaxxed (brother has a history of his own health issues and has been recently hospitalized himself) for dad's sake, if nothing else, and the response was "I don't have enough information to make that decision".
What a cop out.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #599 on: September 26, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
The depressing thing about the microchipping conspiracy is the reality that no one cares enough about average people to bother to microchip them. Like, sorry, but the government does not care enough about you as a 50-something person in middle America with a job as a home health aide to bother to track your every movement. You simply are not that important. To be clear, I put myself in this category as well but at least I have the self-awareness to realize that my individual life as a pretty average person does not warrant constant tracking by government.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!