Author Topic: How do we solve racism in the US?  (Read 6649 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Re: How do we solve racism in the US?
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
The United States has a pretty aggressively racist head of state. Many state legislatures take steps to suppress voter turnout on racial lines. The North Carolina GOP did this just a few years ago in what was a pretty open and shut case.

So I see this repeated over and over again but I would like to know how you determine that Donald Trump is racist? Aggressively racist at that. Not that racist people support him. That's not the same thing as those same racist people may support more funding for space exploration but that doesn't make that policy racist. I mean how he personally, and in his role as President, is racist.

Dictionary.com definition
Racism
noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

I do not mean this is a snarky manner, but words mean things.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2020, 01:18:13 PM »
The United States has a pretty aggressively racist head of state. Many state legislatures take steps to suppress voter turnout on racial lines. The North Carolina GOP did this just a few years ago in what was a pretty open and shut case.

So I see this repeated over and over again but I would like to know how you determine that Donald Trump is racist? Aggressively racist at that. Not that racist people support him. That's not the same thing as those same racist people may support more funding for space exploration but that doesn't make that policy racist. I mean how he personally, and in his role as President, is racist.

Racism
noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

I mean, Trump said that Gonzalo Curiel couldn't do his job as a judge because he was also Mexican.  “Claiming a person can’t do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment” - House Speaker Paul Ryan

Or there was the completely made up thing about America's first black president not being a US citizen.

Or there was the fact that Trump still claimed the central park five were guilty and deserved the death penalty - after they had been proven innocent/wrongfully convicted

Or any of the dozens of other overtly racist things that Trump has done/said.

Here are the first few that google popped up for me:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/06/trump-racism-comments/588067/
https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/president-donald-trump-racist-examples_n_584f2ccae4b0bd9c3dfe5566?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHewyI9FFza2AZNr7wpYGxJxN8OTA4kn4RvmR0R0En7_aJ1LLlacHXZJHkbtaEg7zJH4xW6sQaXloEEsWtLamfayHnGaPaCnsLqV6Dbo2oT8BkEIQ1yxCPwt6HVFnzQqlZqN45r6qCvZm3UDSDH8X7Qc94yFGk3DiRFv9C5A3ZOW

Not meaning to be snarky, but how have you managed to stay so uninformed as to be unaware of all of this easily available decades of information demonstrating Trumps racism?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »

Racism
noun

I mean, Trump said that Gonzalo Curiel couldn't do his job as a judge because he was also Mexican.  “Claiming a person can’t do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment” - House Speaker Paul Ryan

Or there was the completely made up thing about America's first black president not being a US citizen.

Or there was the fact that Trump still claimed the central park five were guilty and deserved the death penalty - after they had been proven innocent/wrongfully convicted

Or any of the dozens of other overtly racist things that Trump has done/said.

Here are the first few that google popped up for me:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/06/trump-racism-comments/588067/
https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/president-donald-trump-racist-examples_n_584f2ccae4b0bd9c3dfe5566?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHewyI9FFza2AZNr7wpYGxJxN8OTA4kn4RvmR0R0En7_aJ1LLlacHXZJHkbtaEg7zJH4xW6sQaXloEEsWtLamfayHnGaPaCnsLqV6Dbo2oT8BkEIQ1yxCPwt6HVFnzQqlZqN45r6qCvZm3UDSDH8X7Qc94yFGk3DiRFv9C5A3ZOW

Not meaning to be snarky, but how have you managed to stay so uninformed as to be unaware of all of this easily available decades of information demonstrating Trumps racism?

Thank you for posting that. I have a healthy distrust of the media in general because they exist to sell a story, reporting facts or truth is merely a coincidence. What will generate the most views and in many cases the most controversy is what gets printed, not what is the most accurate. I regularly read the Atlantic but usually would not place much if any weight on anything from Vox or the Huffington Post. Any one of the specific examples mentioned by itself in those articles is not an indictment but taken as a whole it definitely paints a picture. I still have a healthy dose of skepticism given the sources, but in general consider my mind changed.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
Have you already seen this video: Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man (it's just under 10 minutes long)? The second part will be released tonight, I think.

Thank you for sharing this. I just watched both episodes. The line that stood out to me the most, "Whites and blacks all have it hard, but whites have never had it harder because of the color of their skin." Like McConaughey, I never really thought about it quite like that before.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2020, 09:04:51 PM »
Thank you for posting that. I have a healthy distrust of the media in general because they exist to sell a story, reporting facts or truth is merely a coincidence. What will generate the most views and in many cases the most controversy is what gets printed, not what is the most accurate. I regularly read the Atlantic but usually would not place much if any weight on anything from Vox or the Huffington Post. Any one of the specific examples mentioned by itself in those articles is not an indictment but taken as a whole it definitely paints a picture. I still have a healthy dose of skepticism given the sources, but in general consider my mind changed.

Trump was not the first flaming racist to be US president.

Reagan tape with Nixon: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/us/politics/ronald-reagan-richard-nixon-racist.html
Of course Reagan was less stupid than Trump, so he hid it much better.

Nixon is a known one - southern strategy and all - so no reason to specially mention him. Bush 1 was also quite smart, but his Willie Horton ad campaign gives away his moral stance.

From what I can tell, Bush 2 was not personally racist!!

You will need to ignore a LOT to not be aware of the magnitude of this problem among the "conservatives" in the last 50 years, since Nixon.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!