Author Topic: Help!!! Homeless moving into nearby forest!  (Read 15535 times)

Matte

• Stubble
Help!!! Homeless moving into nearby forest!
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
I am having a problem with homeless people moving into a nearby forest and walking past my house.  So far a neighbor had a bike stolen, another had a door broken.  I have not had anything taken from me, but I worry a lot, I work nights, my wife stays home alone those nights.  My calling the police/city does not do much.  They have a live and let live attitude towards them.  Lately my town has had a bunch of soup kitchens and a salvation army put in.  It appears a managed plan to get these people out of the city. 

I have installed a motion light with video recorder, lock on shed, am careful now about windows.  But I really really really hate having these people in my area, I didn't pay 400k to have bums walk by.  I'm thinking of fabricating some orders to vacate and posting them around the forest entrance.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Help!!! Homeless moving into nearby forest!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
These type of situations have sprouted up around the country genereally where there is some isolated green space that is in close proximity to or in an otherwise urban environment.  Community organization is about all you can do because you need the masses to rally and solve the issue - you will not be able to do this on your own. 

Check your municipalities laws about vagrancy or sleeping outside, etc. and with others start forcing the local authorities to enforce the laws.

Sounds like a difficult situation to cure though if your town is basically accepting and subsidizing, and therefore, encouraging the population.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
This nearby forest doesn't seem to be owned by you given what you say. And as you mentioned nothing has happened to you and yours. I would bring this up with the town/city leaders. Depending on your location winter may handle most of the worries depending on how much infrastructure has been set up in the forest (tents and the like) as they may need to head to a shelter.

But if they are not breaking any laws or trespassing on your property then you will have to learn to live with your hatred and the fact that people are walking next to your 400k house.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »
You could also try contacting specific town council members and try to pressure/shame them into taking action on your behalf.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
What do you know about the circumstances of the people residing in the forest?  Particularly if it's a fairly stable and/or small population, you might consider talking to them and getting to know them a bit.  Certainly it's possible they are dangerous vagrants and that you should steer clear, but it's also possible that, whatever issues they are dealing with, you could talk to them and find out (a) why they are in the forest near your home and not somewhere else (this might help you brainstorm ways to encourage them to move out, and I do mean that in a nice way -- honestly), and/or (b) if they know you and you are on reasonably friendly, that may diminish the likelihood of your home and family being a target of any criminal behavior in which residents of the area you describe engage.

For whatever that's worth.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
But I really really really hate having these people in my area, I didn't pay 400k to have bums walk by.

So you're upset that other people can walk by your house?  I think the first thing you should do to rectify this situation is to change your attitude.  Having such contempt for people who have not wronged you in anyway is not healthy.

kt

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:03:35 AM »
few people would choose to be homeless. it is surprisingly easy to become 'these people' or 'bums' as you kindly refer to them.
you've taken sensible precautions and you can talk to the local authorities but perhaps like bogart says you could try finding out why they are actually there and what they are actually like.
you say you fear for your wife being home alone. that is understandable to a point but you don't suggest that there has been any violence towards people so far. it might be worth remembering that.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
What do you know about the circumstances of the people residing in the forest?  Particularly if it's a fairly stable and/or small population, you might consider talking to them and getting to know them a bit.  Certainly it's possible they are dangerous vagrants and that you should steer clear, but it's also possible that, whatever issues they are dealing with, you could talk to them and find out (a) why they are in the forest near your home and not somewhere else (this might help you brainstorm ways to encourage them to move out, and I do mean that in a nice way -- honestly), and/or (b) if they know you and you are on reasonably friendly, that may diminish the likelihood of your home and family being a target of any criminal behavior in which residents of the area you describe engage.

For whatever that's worth.

+1. They're still people, homeless or not. IMO they deserve a chance to work things out with you one-on one before involving the cops.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Another recommendation to get to know some of them.  I was talking to a business owner, whose business was located a few doors down from a homeless shelter.  He said that he befriended a couple of frequent guests at the shelter and pays them a small sum to "look after the place" for him.  Seems like a win-win.

honobob

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
But I really really really hate having these people in my area, I didn't pay 400k to have bums walk by.

So you're upset that other people can walk by your house?  I think the first thing you should do to rectify this situation is to change your attitude.  Having such contempt for people who have not wronged you in anyway is not healthy.
Yes, I would wait until your wife is brutally raped and or killed before making any judgements. Most homeless people are probably NOT drug users and or mentally unstable as is usually reported.  You've suffered no problems yet so your neighbors are on their own if they've had problems.  NOT your problem.  But you could...

1.  Run a hose to your front driveway and  put a sign out "Free Showers!".  I'm sure your neighbors won't mind, well, because the homeless are at YOUR house.  Put an old TV out also so they can sit in yer driveway and watch.  I don't know anyone that commited a crime while watching "I Love Lucy", do you?

2.  But, if you insist on being a hater you could contact the property owner and see if they have permission to be on his property.  Ask for his insurance carrier in case you have any problems with his guests.  You might even call his agent to determine how deep the pockets are.  I'm sure his agent will appreciate your concern.

Really, our country spends billions for support of the indigent.  I'll go out on a limb and say MOST homeless are drug/alcohol users that refuse help or are people that should be in institutions.  I would NOT want these people milling around my neighborhood.

kt

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
Really, our country spends billions for support of the indigent.  I'll go out on a limb and say MOST homeless are drug/alcohol users that refuse help or are people that should be in institutions.  I would NOT want these people milling around my neighborhood.

clearly it would be preferable for everyone to be homed. but ending up homeless can sometimes be a case of bad luck.

i once spent a few weeks living on friends' floors due to an estate agent mistake. one night my friend got stuck over an hour away and i found myself out in the rain with nowhere to go. i found another friend and could've found a hostel but it was scary and i've been much more sympathetic since.

i have spoken to a few homeless people and some of them have had a rough start and some have done well but had misfortunes. i think you are over-simplifying and stereotyping in a way which is extremely unhelpful. yes act prudently, i.e. lock your house and make gentle investigations, but there is no need to be so judgemental.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:31:05 AM by kt »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
You don't have a problem with homeless people.  You have a problem with people that are mentally ill and can't function in society, abuse alcohol and drugs, and/or commit criminal acts.  Fifty years ago, the non-functional mentally ill people would be confined against their will and treated.  The criminals would be in prison, where they belong.

You and your neighbors should form a community organization and attend every city council and county board of supervisors meeting.  Have monthly meetings with all of the representatives of the area and voice your concerns.  Form a neighborhood watch and a community website.  Let the politicians know you are organized, you won't be silenced and you vote.  It's your only hope.

If this situation is tolerated and no action is taken, more of these folks will move in.  Crime will get worse.  People will start moving out of your neighborhood and property values will drop.  If you can't get the situation improved, I would look at selling and moving on.

honobob

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »

clearly it would be preferable for everyone to be homed. but ending up homeless can sometimes be a case of bad luck.

i once spent a few weeks living on friends' floors due to an estate agent mistake. one night my friend got stuck over an hour away and i found myself out in the rain with nowhere to go. i found another friend and could've found a hostel but it was scary and i've been much more sympathetic since.

i have spoken to a few homeless people and some of them have had a rough start and some have done well but had misfortunes. i think you are over-simplifying and stereotyping in a way which is extremely unhelpful. yes act prudently, i.e. lock your house and make gentle investigations, but there is no need to be so judgemental.
And yet in NONE of your examples did anyone start an encampment on someone elses property.  People go through hard times and may live in their car/street for a few days until they can avail themselves of some support.  People that live on the streets long term are either mentally ill or substance abusers who refuse help or have BURNT all bridges of support.  Some homeless are true sociopaths that have coping skills to con you for short periods for what they WANT, not what they NEED. 

So why don't you give Matte your address so he can forward the homeless to you for your compassion. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
Well, now we know for sure Honobob lives in San Francisco....  The SF homeless are mostly long term and incorrigible.  We have a lot of them in the parks in the San Jose area, and they are responsible for much of the crime in the surrounding neighborhoods.  Occasionally the City will try to roust them, with little effect. 

My guess is the forest is public property, which is why these folks are getting away with camping there.  If it's private, in your shoes, I would get in touch with the owner.  The owner can under certain circumstances be held liable if his "tenants" commit crimes in the vicinity.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
Agree on the suggestion of starting a neighborhood watch/organization.

I would also do what you can to beef up security around the house.  Ever wanted a dog?  Might eb a good time to get one.  I would also strongly suggest acquiring a shotgun and making sure you and your wife know how it works.

honobob

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
Well, now we know for sure Honobob lives in San Francisco....  The SF homeless are mostly long term and incorrigible.  We have a lot of them in the parks in the San Jose area, and they are responsible for much of the crime in the surrounding neighborhoods.  Occasionally the City will try to roust them, with little effect. 

My guess is the forest is public property, which is why these folks are getting away with camping there.  If it's private, in your shoes, I would get in touch with the owner.  The owner can under certain circumstances be held liable if his "tenants" commit crimes in the vicinity.
Actually my retirement home is Honolulu.  My avatar is a picture of Waikiki from my beach.  since I've retired I am spending time between both places.  Just a few weeks ago the city cut down the 3 foot hedges around a public bathroom on the beach on the edge of Waikiki.  Homeless were encamped behind the hedges.  The beach shower also was "out of order" for several weeks.  I think they were trying to encourage them to leave.  The homeless won the stare down and the shower is in operation and the homeless don't seem to mind the loss of privacy.  Maybe the city will save some money by being able to just drive by and see if anything is going on that they HAVE to deal with. 

I suggest encampments outside cities with free beer and pot.  Throw in some of those shipping containers that cost too much to ship empty back to China for shelter.  Use the football scholarship guys as part time "peace keepers" do some live feeds to pay per view.  Lemons to lemonade!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
Options:

1) sell house, move into forest for free and get free meals too
2) release the hounds

Also what everyone else said.  If the land is federal, talk to your congressperson

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »

1) sell house, move into forest for free and get free meals too

Indeed.  A point that seems to have been overlooked in this conversation is that "homeless" is not the correct label.  These are people who have gained (adopted? assumed?) FI and REd.  Right ... ?

(I'm kidding.  Mostly.)

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Pass the popcorn.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
Wow. I am honestly shocked at some of the responses from people.

Of the chronically homeless: In 2012, on a single night, there were 99,894 adults experiencing chronic homelessness in America; representing 15.8 percent of all people experiencing homelessness. Three-quarters are men with the average age approaching 50. Almost one-third are Veterans.

Of all individuals experiencing homelessness one night in January 2012 during the Point-In-Time count:
633,782 people were homeless. Most homeless persons (62 percent) are individuals while 38 percent of homeless persons are in family households.

Sure, there are sex offenders living on the street because no where else will take them. Sure, there are folks with substance abuse problems and mental health problems (which sometimes goes hand in hand). There are women and children who are fleeing abusive relationships. 1/3 of the chronic homeless population is made up of veterans, and guess what? Some of them might have mental illness and might use drugs. It is so much easier when we don't see them, isn't it?

If you want to sit in your 400K house and bitch about how shitty and uncomfortable your life is, you should really be ashamed.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
There is a reason many of us decamp to suburbia: we do not want our families or ourselves exposed to all the crap that goes along with urban ills.  That does not mean we have no sympathy for the poor and disenfranchised, but we don't want it on our doorstep and we have paid handsomely to make sure that is the case.  The problem of homelessness is bigger than OP can solve and s/he should not be expected to welcome a population loaded with drug abusers, the violent and the untreated mentally ill into their backyard.  Perhaps involving a charitable or social organization/agency would be a good idea, but long experience suggests that will not solve OP's problem or homelessness.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
None of this nonsense used to happen when

1.  People who were too sick to care for themselves or who were too aggressive to be at large could be treated and/or institutionalized even if they refused.
2.  Criminals served sentences where they worked, even if it was making license plates or pounding big rocks into little rocks.  They usually went into supervised work situations when released.
3.  Drugs were not an accepted part of life.
4.  Begging and loitering were against the law, not a form of free speech.
5.  Living in parks and public rights of way was not permitted.

The homeless here are not described by your statistics.  The population that I see every day are drug addicts, alcoholics, thieves and severely mentally ill folks, most of whom (if they are functional) make every excuse in the world for how they got to where they are.  Coddling, excuses and appeasement are not the solution.  Tough love is.  Make treatment and some kind of productive work available, don't allow begging on the streets, no public drunkenness or drug use, and no money or bed if you don't cooperate.  Too sick to function?  The streets are not the answer for that either.

Everyone's life would be less shitty and uncomfortable, including the homeless, if you actually solved the problem.  All government intervention has done is sustain and grow the homeless population.  Make the ecosystem less friendly to the behaviors, and you will have a lot less of them.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »
None of this nonsense used to happen when

1.  People who were too sick to care for themselves or who were too aggressive to be at large could be treated and/or institutionalized even if they refused.
2.  Criminals served sentences where they worked, even if it was making license plates or pounding big rocks into little rocks.  They usually went into supervised work situations when released.
3.  Drugs were not an accepted part of life.
4.  Begging and loitering were against the law, not a form of free speech.
5.  Living in parks and public rights of way was not permitted.

The homeless here are not described by your statistics.  The population that I see every day are drug addicts, alcoholics, thieves and severely mentally ill folks, most of whom (if they are functional) make every excuse in the world for how they got to where they are.  Coddling, excuses and appeasement are not the solution.  Tough love is.  Make treatment and some kind of productive work available, don't allow begging on the streets, no public drunkenness or drug use, and no money or bed if you don't cooperate.  Too sick to function?  The streets are not the answer for that either.

Everyone's life would be less shitty and uncomfortable, including the homeless, if you actually solved the problem.  All government intervention has done is sustain and grow the homeless population.  Make the ecosystem less friendly to the behaviors, and you will have a lot less of them.

In the USA we need to ditch the Republican and Democratic party and form the Tough Love party.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
Is Building a fence an option?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
Coddling, excuses and appeasement are not the solution.  Tough love is.  Make treatment and some kind of productive work available, don't allow begging on the streets, no public drunkenness or drug use, and no money or bed if you don't cooperate.  Too sick to function?  The streets are not the answer for that either.

Funny.  A friend of mine just posted this on Facebook yesterday: 
"Hey everyone, you know what this country needs? Harsher treatment of the poor."

Indeed!  Who do these disadvantaged folk think they are?  Suckling on the government teat, living the life of luxury in a forest!

Deano

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »

You might want to contact Israel. I've heard they're really good at building some good-sized fences. California could keep out those bums from the mid-west and New England could at last have peace from those "wanna-be New Englander's" Pennsylvania and, ugh, Delaware (do they not know they're south of the Mason-Dixon?).

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »

This! But make sure the fence is tall and strong enough so the homeless can't get out.

Constance Noring

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
There is a reason many of us decamp to suburbia: we do not want our families or ourselves exposed to all the crap that goes along with urban ills.  That does not mean we have no sympathy for the poor and disenfranchised, but we don't want it on our doorstep and we have paid handsomely to make sure that is the case.  The problem of homelessness is bigger than OP can solve and s/he should not be expected to welcome a population loaded with drug abusers, the violent and the untreated mentally ill into their backyard.  Perhaps involving a charitable or social organization/agency would be a good idea, but long experience suggests that will not solve OP's problem or homelessness.

Hmm...where have I heard that before? Oh right!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
Sadly, you would need a no-man's land and sentries armed with machine guns in towers with orders to shoot to make that work.  And George Zimmerman is not available, because he is in jail for threatening his wife.  I think pressuring the politicians is easier and more effective.  Get one or two of them that support this nonsense replaced, and things will improve dramatically.

White flight?  It has nothing to do with race, but letting the homeless camp next door is a form of blockbusting.

fiveoclockshadow

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »

That would require tax revenue. Good luck with that. Most of the mentally ill are on the street not because they refuse treatment rather they are refused treatment. See CA and many southern states for specific examples.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
I am having a problem with homeless people moving into a nearby forest and walking past my house. 

Lately my town has had a bunch of soup kitchens and a salvation army put in. 

I'm having a similar situation here in NoVA.  I have very mixed feelings about it. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
Poor does not equal homeless.  Sadly, many of the neighborhoods next to homeless camps here are populated by low income folks.  They are preyed upon and stolen from by their homeless "neighbors."  Getting the encampments away from these neighborhoods would be a dramatic improvement for the legitimate residents.

My point is that this problem did not exist 40 years ago.  We need common sense, compassion, and a belief in personal responsibility to solve these problems and there's damn little of any of these in our elected government officials or their appointed administrators.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »

Hmm...where have I heard that before? Oh right!

And?  I should feed my small children and wife into the maw of an urban shitshow to please you and other liberals?  You live there if that is your idea of a good time; I'll be in a place that has excellent schools, low crime, cohesive community and plenty of space.  My wife was bussed as a kid.  It sucked.

I've lived in one of the 5 most diverse zip codes in the US and enjoyed it, but I don't choose to raise kids there because of schools, pollution, crowding, crime, etc.  I think the treatment of the homeless/mentally ill and poor in this country is largely deplorable, but I am disenfranchised (fancy way to say nobody gives a crap what I think).  Unfortunately, much of life is a situation of women and children first into the lifeboats ecause you cannot save the ship.  I am certainly not above donning a pair of falsies and a wig (it would bring back college memories) to ensure a seat in the lifeboats, but I am not about to miss sight of he fact that my family comes first.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
My point is that this problem did not exist 40 years ago.  We need common sense, compassion, and a belief in personal responsibility to solve these problems and there's damn little of any of these in our elected government officials or their appointed administrators.

This is wishful thinking.  Homelessness has long existed in our cities, in much the same form.

http://www.thehistorybox.com/your_the_writer/article_11.html

However, we can agree that homelessness (which was on the decline between the 1940s and the late 1970s) took a drastic turn for the worse in the early 80s... when Reagan gutted Section 8 benefits by reducing the budget by over 50% (and sought to eliminate it completely):

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/135/reagan.html

Some good quotes about homelessness by choice in the latter article-- it was an effective defensive tactic by Reagan, since people are still quoting them in this very thread today.

In short, the problem was better when we were doing *more* to assist the homeless and poor, not less.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:21:51 PM by iamlindoro »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »

That would require tax revenue. Good luck with that. Most of the mentally ill are on the street not because they refuse treatment rather they are refused treatment. See CA and many southern states for specific examples.

I served on my county's board of mental health for awhile.  It's quite true that state facilities were shut down and the residents were dumped into their local communities.  All to save money.

It's true that a lot of homeless are that way because they are mentally ill, or drug/alcohol addicts, or just plain unwilling to buck up and work.  Of course, once they've made the latter two choices, undoing those choices becomes progressively harder with each passing day.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
I find that the homeless will make your grass greener with natural fertilization of the lawn.  Sometimes they leave valuable recyclable metal in the yard.  These usually hold 40 oz of beverage.

They also seem to reduce the number of annoying kids that ride bikes around on the street after school.

When we sell our house I am happy the extra people milling around will give that community type feeling to the prospective buyers.

All you have to do is look for the positives in any situation.

edit:  Forgot to add another benefit.  I have found a total of 4 perfectly reusable contraceptive devices in my yard (after a quick rinsing).  Several dollars in savings.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:39:18 PM by Roland of Gilead »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »
I'm guessing you were not around 40 or 50 years ago.  I was and I lived in the Bay Area then.  There were a few folks living in parks in San Francisco and Berkeley starting in the late 60's - by choice.  There were laws against vagrancy, begging and loitering.  They were enforced and none of what we see today existed then.    Crime was a much smaller problem.  Even in poor neighborhoods, kids played in the streets and doors were not locked.

Reagan as governor started undermining institutional confinement of the severely incapacitated and violent mentally ill in the 60's by emptying the mental institutions in favor of so-called community care and anti-psychotic drugs.  The courts finished it by restricting involuntary confinement.  Not being able to remove these folks from society makes life riskier for all and certainly does not benefit them.  Look at the young man that killed his mother and all the kids at that school in Newtown.  The mother had been seeking help for years. 

This is not a right vs left political issue.  It's a cultural issue.  What is tolerated and even encouraged today would have never occurred back then.  The laws that protect the majority from the bad actions of a few have been gutted.  Government entities are weak and useless at protecting people.  So, yes, it's much different today.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 12:17:48 AM »
Wow, this thread really took on a life of its own! I'm not really a hateful person, i was actually hoping for some useful tips. I live near Vancouver Canada, it's a place so socialist that you have to want to be homeless or on drugs (I actually have sympathy for homeless in any other country). I'm not about to wait for something to happen before I do something.  We have neighborhood watch, this problem just got bad when they developed the forest closer to town.  They were in other neighborhoods in town until development took over. 

Any creative, cheap, not cruel ideas to make living in this forest such a pain in the ass they move on?  Im thinking creative like a solar powered motion light/noisemakers high up in a tree or something (arborist friend with spike boots to help) like that.  A nearby town had city workers dump chicken manure where homeless camped.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »
Yes it has taken a life of its own. But because we have discussed every FI topic to death 10 times over we have naturally moved on to more controversial topics.

I don't believe homelessness is a choice. You may think there are some who choose to be homeless (by refusing help etc) but those are people who are not mentally capable of making a rational choice.

So many people who are homeless, and the drug and alcohol affected mentioned in posts above, are children of broken families and you cannot blame them for that. It takes a village to raise a child and we are all to blame, either by turning the other cheek or being too selfish to pay 0.5% more in tax that could potentially solve the problem.

The issue of homeless vets is quite shameful IMO. A number of docos have been shown in Australia on the issue of US vets and it is tear jerking.

I'm not going to pretend I have an answer to the OP about the forest folk. Other than to suggest you contact the local charities, churches or NGOs for assistance.

Mike

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 04:31:33 AM »
Robin Hood and his merry men clearly need to get some better PR people.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:38 AM »
Yes it has taken a life of its own. But because we have discussed every FI topic to death 10 times over we have naturally moved on to more controversial topics.

I don't believe homelessness is a choice. You may think there are some who choose to be homeless (by refusing help etc) but those are people who are not mentally capable of making a rational choice.

So many people who are homeless, and the drug and alcohol affected mentioned in posts above, are children of broken families and you cannot blame them for that. It takes a village to raise a child and we are all to blame, either by turning the other cheek or being too selfish to pay 0.5% more in tax that could potentially solve the problem.

The issue of homeless vets is quite shameful IMO. A number of docos have been shown in Australia on the issue of US vets and it is tear jerking.

I'm not going to pretend I have an answer to the OP about the forest folk. Other than to suggest you contact the local charities, churches or NGOs for assistance.
Ahhh, yes, just .5% more tax and the problem will be solved.  The answer to everything, raise taxes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »
What if you tried to approach this problem Hunger Games style?  Hide weapons throughout the woods, then post signs indicating that the last homeless man alive gets a lifetime supply of baked beans!  If you hide video cameras you might have a new reality show on your hands . . .

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 07:42:38 AM »
Ahhh, yes, just .5% more tax and the problem will be solved.  The answer to everything, raise taxes.

Yes, because lowering taxes through fiscally conservative slash and burn tactics on social programs clearly work out so very well as a solution.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 07:43:10 AM »
I don't know about the hunger games idea, but you could make a trail out of a cheap drink like MD 20/20 and have it lead to another forest far away.  Keep supplying a few bottles a week to get them acclimated to the new area.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
[Moderator hat on]

1) I'm moving this to Off Topic

2) I'm close to locking it, as I don't think there are many reasonable solutions for the OP that won't stir things up.  This thread has pretty much just delved into a typical "what do we do about the homeless" topic, including all the normal politics (socilism accusations, etc.).  I don't think we need another thread of that.

I'm only keeping it around for now because it hasn't quite gotten past the point of no return, so discuss away for now.

Keep in mind:
If you want to make a point, just say it plainly if you actually think it will advance the thread or is a good point.  Sarcasm is not the way to do it, and will only make the thread more aggressive, causing it to get locked faster.

Thanks.

[/End Moderator comment.]
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »
[Moderator hat on]

On second thought, I'm just going to lock it now.  Reading through the responses on this thread, some are down right nasty, some are just cruel suggestions, even if intended as a joke.

If I were a stranger reading through this thread, I'd want to have no part of this community, and it makes me ashamed.  We're better than this.

There is nothing good that can come of this thread.  OP, decide what is best for you and your family.  Best of luck.

Anyone feel free to PM me with comments about the thread lock, or PM other members participating in the thread if you still would like to discuss the Homeless Forest situation with them.

Thanks.

[/End Moderator comment.]
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!