Author Topic: Have you been the recipient of a random act of kindness?  (Read 9194 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Have you been the recipient of a random act of kindness?
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
I need something to balance me out, after reading the "Have you ever been a witness to tragedy?" thread!

Here's the kindness I received:

My sister and I were very young. We were with my mom in a local convenience store. We asked for candy, and she said, "No, not today." She may have even said something like "we don't have money for that right now". I'm not sure. All I know is that a friendly trucker man bought us each a pack of cabbage patch kids, and I will always be amazed at what a random act of generousity.

Do you have any stories that you carry with you? Friendly strangers that you wish you could thank?

DeltaT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Have you been the recipient of a random act of kindness?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »
I've witnessed events like this before and its a gift sometimes just to watch them unfold. Reminds me of the good in people. Even though I haven't been the recipient I figured I'd share a story of a random act of kindness I witnessed last month.

About a month ago, I was checking out at the grocery store and saw an elderly man checking out one lane over from me. The contents of his cart were ultra basic like value brand bread, milk, eggs, and a couple cans of vegetables and other necessities. The only reason I noticed him was because he was embarrassed because he was putting some of the food back in the cart because he couldn't afford it after the guy scanned everything. Then I watched the guy directly behind him. He was gesturing nonverbally towards the scanner guy to put everything back, and that he would pay for it. I could clearly understand his intent. The scanner guy couldn't and proceeded to let the elderly man put what he couldn't afford back in the cart. Right when the elderly man left the store the guy behind him told him to quickly scan the items and that he would pay for them. I believe I was the only one in the store that noticed this unfold, and I won't forget it. It served as a reminder that when I am in a similar situation to act as he did.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »
I've witnessed events like this before and its a gift sometimes just to watch them unfold. Reminds me of the good in people. Even though I haven't been the recipient I figured I'd share a story of a random act of kindness I witnessed last month.

About a month ago, I was checking out at the grocery store and saw an elderly man checking out one lane over from me. The contents of his cart were ultra basic like value brand bread, milk, eggs, and a couple cans of vegetables and other necessities. The only reason I noticed him was because he was embarrassed because he was putting some of the food back in the cart because he couldn't afford it after the guy scanned everything. Then I watched the guy directly behind him. He was gesturing nonverbally towards the scanner guy to put everything back, and that he would pay for it. I could clearly understand his intent. The scanner guy couldn't and proceeded to let the elderly man put what he couldn't afford back in the cart. Right when the elderly man left the store the guy behind him told him to quickly scan the items and that he would pay for them. I believe I was the only one in the store that noticed this unfold, and I won't forget it. It served as a reminder that when I am in a similar situation to act as he did.

That is heart-warming. :)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »
Not exactly random, but a guy in my neighborhood shoveled my snow when I was laid up last year.  I didn't know him too well at the time, but he heard from a mutual friend that I had an injury and when the snow fell, he asked my neighbors which house was mine and started shoveling for me. 
Thanks for starting this thread lifejoy.  I also felt a little bummed seeing the other one.  I am a family member of someone whose "tragic incident" could be described there, if anyone here had seen it.  I know talking about that stuff is human nature so I don't hold it against anyone, but it really starts to hurt when people try to "one-up" each other with someone else's tragedy. 

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
Last year when my mom was battling cancer and my DH was out of the country for 9 months, I was the recipient of many (random?) acts of kindness:  neighbors bringing me dinner on a rotation, another friend having us over and feeding us every Thursday night, friends taking my kids for a few hours or overnight, offering to drive me and my mom places, colleagues offering to take over projects at work...honestly, I was subject to the good in people every day for months.  It was amazing.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:22 PM »
I went through the drive-thru at McDonalds on my way to work one morning for the $0.99 large coffee they had going.  A coworker of mine brought me one the day before so I was buying two coffees (one for me, one for him) to return the favor.  When I went to pay for the coffees the cashier said "Good news. The person in front of you paid for your order!"  Wow that was a nice surprise - great!  She said "Would you like to pay for the next person's order?".  Hmm... sure!  "Pay it forward" type of thing.  Ok that will be $8.89.   Huh?!  The person behind me had a massive order and I felt too ashamed to back out on "paying it forward".  haha those coffees ended up being very expensive.

Next time I'll say "that was nice of them" and pay it forward in a different way like giving to a charity.  I never really liked the idea of paying for other people's junk food, but this one really hit home hahaha

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
I need something to balance me out, after reading the "Have you ever been a witness to tragedy?" thread!

Do you have any stories that you carry with you? Friendly strangers that you wish you could thank?

Thanks, @lifejoy! I need this thread too. Sad to read some of those devastating stories and really not sure how I would manage in their shoes <sigh>.

We were the recipients of a free meal at Olive Garden! We were new in town (about 11 months) and had just had our last child (large family) and were out on a date with just our new baby. He slept in his carseat our whole meal -- what a little sweetheart! Anyways, we finished ordering and had started our salad and breadsticks when our server came over to tell us, "Just so you know, someone just paid for your meal!"  We were so totally shocked since we didn't know many people (other than from our church and a few neighbours) and of course we looked around but our benefactor had already slipped out! What a delight that evening was -- still warms my heart to think about that! Thanks for the reminder!

forestbound

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
I LOVE this thread and am mostly commenting to follow. Thank you Lifejoy!

One thing I used to do and miss was paying the toll for me and the person behind me. We have iPass now, so can't do that anymore. I am always looking for opportunities to pay it forward, so I hope to get a few ideas here.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:03:43 PM »
I've been searching my brain trying to think of examples that don't involve money! It's difficult! Makes me realize the importance of having more than enough money, so that you can take advantage of opportunities to give :)

The best I can come up with is the woman who yelled at me from her house, "I *love* your coat! Where is it from?" LOL. Or the woman who works at the grocery store who made my day because she was so pleasant, and friendly without being overly friendly. I had had a long day, and she was just a real nice person. Today I phoned the manager of the grocery store to pass along some praise, and to hopefully make her day. Gotta love the ripple effect!

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »
Somebody wrote the word "beautiful" in the snow in my front yard with arrows pointing to my house.

meep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
I was 19, stuck on the other side of the country from my family without a penny to my name. I ended up being 5 minutes late for my flight home and they told me that not only did I need $400 to change my flight, the next flight was the next day. I started bawling right there. The guy behind me in line not only paid for my $400 ticket, he gave me $100 for a motel room and food. He refused to give me his name or anyway to contact him. All I could do was cry some more and thank him over and over again. Still makes me tear up a decade later.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »
I did a random act this week.  While snapping pictures at a church event, I took a picture of a child that turned out to be an adorable one.  He looked like a little angel.  When I developed the ones that I wanted (yes, I do actually develop my pictures and put them in albums), I printed out the one of the child, put it in an envelope and sent it to the mother.  It cost me less than 50 cents, but I think the mother will really enjoy it.  The last random act of kindness that I received was a man who stopped to push my car when I was stuck in the snow.  I really appreciated that.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
Great thread topic!  We're also had a meal paid for by a couple at a restaurant.  It was a nice little surprise. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:25:28 PM »
Love this thread :)

One of our wedding thank-you cards was late (our fault, DH thought I had popped it in the mail, and I thought he had) but it got set aside because we were waiting for address confirmation. Saw it as we were headed out the door for a visit back home and figured we could deliver it in person. Somehow, it fell out of DH's jacket pocket as we were walking around and didn't notice. Tore apart our bags and the car looking for it and resigned ourselves to having to send a new card and huge apology.

A week later there was an envelop in our mail box with a hand written note saying that someone had found it in the town we were visiting on the ground and they couldn't forward it since it was missing the address (still) but found our return address on it. The note wished us a great day and wasn't signed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
People give me stuff.  Like, all the time.  It used to weird me out, but now I just roll with it.  Figure it's because I have an honest face (not because I dress like a homeless guy most of the time).

The last time I was on a plane I was chatting with the woman next to me and she gave me tickets to a horse show that she was in.  I've been given subway tokens and ride cards while waiting for public transit.  I've walked by an open air cafe and had a waiter ask if I wanted a free lunch.  Half the furniture in my house was given to me by folks I barely know.  My washing machine . . . a gift.  People are pretty awesome sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:32:13 AM by GuitarStv »

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Once, I was walking down a path by a wooded area and a naked man in the woods yelled, "Hey Baby, looking hot!" and then waved his *ahem* at me.

That seemed nice of him. I still laugh when I think about it.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
Just remembered this one...

I lived for 6 months or so outside of a small Turkish town about a 2 hour bus ride from Istanbul and use to go in on the weekends. I lived a few km walk from the town.  Without fail, I would get to the end of my driveway and shortly thereafter an older gentleman (grandfatherly)  would show up on his bike and ride within site of me as I walked for about half way and then he'd turn around and another one would show up and ride the rest of the way.

They never got close enough to talk to, or made it feel awkward or intrusive. Just gave me a smile and nod and carried on.  This happen multiple times. I was in an area where there were zero foreigners and being a women on my own walking down the side of a highway was probably unfathomable to them - my knights on bikes.  There was one time a car of young guys tried to pull up beside me, the gentleman on the bike was right on them, waving at them with his cane. Only time I heard him speak.

Actually over the years, especially when traveling and living in other countries I have been blessed to be the recipient of many random acts of kindness, and boy do you sure notice them when you are far away from everything familiar. More then a few times I have just burst into tears at some unexpected kindness when I was having a rough day.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »
I love this thread too!

My parents have never been very well off financially, and this last year he was diagnosed with cancer. It has been amazing to see all the generosity they have received. I was visiting for Christmas and someone gave them $2,000 so we could do some things together as a family without worrying about money. Someone from their church brought over $10,000 in cash the weekend after he was diagnosed! My dad really enjoys baking and has always shared his passion with his friends, family and neighbors. When his kitchen-aid mixer broke, someone found out about it and a restaurant grade mixer showed up on their doorstep the next day. A friend also created a Facebook group to do things like bring meals (usually in the form of going to hang out with my dad during lunch) and to help my mom with cleaning the house (especially on weeks when she hast to shuttle him to and from chemo).

I'm really grateful that people are there to look after my dad. I can't believe how generous some people are. I wish I could be there now so I could help more, but there is only so much I can do.

This is a major drive for me to be FIRE. I hope to be able to have the time and money to help those around me.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
Just remembered this one...

I lived for 6 months or so outside of a small Turkish town about a 2 hour bus ride from Istanbul and use to go in on the weekends. I lived a few km walk from the town.  Without fail, I would get to the end of my driveway and shortly thereafter an older gentleman (grandfatherly)  would show up on his bike and ride within site of me as I walked for about half way and then he'd turn around and another one would show up and ride the rest of the way.

They never got close enough to talk to, or made it feel awkward or intrusive. Just gave me a smile and nod and carried on.  This happen multiple times. I was in an area where there were zero foreigners and being a women on my own walking down the side of a highway was probably unfathomable to them - my knights on bikes.  There was one time a car of young guys tried to pull up beside me, the gentleman on the bike was right on them, waving at them with his cane. Only time I heard him speak.

Actually over the years, especially when traveling and living in other countries I have been blessed to be the recipient of many random acts of kindness, and boy do you sure notice them when you are far away from everything familiar. More then a few times I have just burst into tears at some unexpected kindness when I was having a rough day.

Wow!  That is really awesome.  I love how protective they were of you just because it was the right thing to do.

Your post reminded me that yes, when operating as a foreigner in a different country, it is even more powerful when someone does something nice.  I noticed this most consistently in Japan.  The people there are SO INCREDIBLY helpful and kind.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
I've been searching my brain trying to think of examples that don't involve money! It's difficult! Makes me realize the importance of having more than enough money, so that you can take advantage of opportunities to give :)

One thing that I like to do that doesn't involve money is that when I see someone who is older or struggling mobility-wise trying to cross the road,  I pace myself with them so that they are not the only ones moving slowly, holding up traffic etc.  I figure it's one way to keep someone from honking and hopefully it makes them feel less self conscious or stressed about their speed and safety.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:17:32 PM by Secretly Saving »

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
I'm really grateful that people are there to look after my dad. I can't believe how generous some people are. I wish I could be there now so I could help more, but there is only so much I can do.

This is a major drive for me to be FIRE. I hope to be able to have the time and money to help those around me.

I couldn't agree more with this.  A big part of FIRE for us is being able to have the time, money, and ability to help others!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
One thing that I like to do that doesn't involve money is that when I see someone who is older or struggling mobility-wise trying to cross the road.  I pace myself with them so that they are not the only ones moving slowly, holding up traffic etc.  I figure it's one way to keep someone from honking and hopefully it makes them feel less self conscious or stressed about their speed and safety.

This is awesome and something I would like to be more aware of. There have been many cases in the past year or so of elderly people getting killed in cross walks in bigger cities all over Canada. One newspaper I read called it an "epidemic"  I don't know if people are getting more impatient or distracted or what the story is, but it seems like it is happening all the time. You could be saving lives by doing this.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »
One thing that I like to do that doesn't involve money is that when I see someone who is older or struggling mobility-wise trying to cross the road.  I pace myself with them so that they are not the only ones moving slowly, holding up traffic etc.  I figure it's one way to keep someone from honking and hopefully it makes them feel less self conscious or stressed about their speed and safety.

This is awesome and something I would like to be more aware of. There have been many cases in the past year or so of elderly people getting killed in cross walks in bigger cities all over Canada. One newspaper I read called it an "epidemic"  I don't know if people are getting more impatient or distracted or what the story is, but it seems like it is happening all the time. You could be saving lives by doing this.

Oh wow!  I didn't think of it as even possibly saving a life!  This just makes it that much more important.  I just always thought of it as something nice to do -- how I would want someone else to treat my grandma or grandpa or mom or dad if I weren't there to help them. 

I'm 35. I'm an only child.   I've lost everyone in my family early.  In my teen years I lost all of my grandparents and my father.  All that I have left is my mom who has terminal cancer.  I guess I just really value older people because I have so few of them in my life.  I try to protect them and look out for them whenever I can.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
My boyfriend was killed in action in 2010. I have a memorial sticker on ny car.

I was at a store in the national park where I worked, and when I came out, there was a note on the windshield.  I can tell you exactly what it said because I carry it with me: "Our sympathy and gratitude for loved one's sacrifice. -Chris and Jess"

It was on my late boyfriend's birthday, which was listed on the sticker. It made me cry, but also made me really happy with humans.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »

Oh wow!  I didn't think of it as even possibly saving a life!  This just makes it that much more important.  I just always thought of it as something nice to do -- how I would want someone else to treat my grandma or grandpa or mom or dad if I weren't there to help them. 

I'm 35. I'm an only child.   I've lost everyone in my family early.  In my teen years I lost all of my grandparents and my father.  All that I have left is my mom who has terminal cancer.  I guess I just really value older people because I have so few of them in my life.  I try to protect them and look out for them whenever I can.

I am so happy to see these kinds of comments! My gramma is 95 and a best friend of mine. We live so far apart that I find myself taking care of elderly (when the opportunity arises) in my local area, in hopes that someone in my gramma's city is looking out for her. <3

And I bet people are! :)

anon-e-mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »
When I was a new father, I took my daughter to Denny's for breakfast.
I guess it made someone's day the way that I was playing with my little girl because my meal was paid for.
The note read something like:  "It's nice to see a father doing a great job raising a child.  Keep up the great work."
By the time I looked around, they were gone.
I have vowed to repay the favor one day, hopefully more than once.

The first time I tried to repay the favor.... it failed.
I offered to pay for some lady's groceries at a health food store because she was carrying a baby girl and it reminded me of the above act of kindness.
She just gave me a stern but confused look, paid for her things and left.
/shrug

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
One thing that I like to do that doesn't involve money is that when I see someone who is older or struggling mobility-wise trying to cross the road,  I pace myself with them so that they are not the only ones moving slowly, holding up traffic etc.  I figure it's one way to keep someone from honking and hopefully it makes them feel less self conscious or stressed about their speed and safety.

I do this too actually.  :)

Unkempt Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Not super random but a powerful moment in my own life....

In another (non mustachian) life I worked at a pawn shop.
One of our regular customers was a music teacher who was always buying cheap instruments.
I worked with him pretty often and got him discounts because I appreciated what he was doing.

Due to a family issue, I found myself needing to move across country and I turned in my two weeks.
When he came in, I mentioned that I was moving and why.
He went out to his car and came back with an envelope with $100 in it.
He said that it was his emergency money that he kept in his car but thought that I could use it more than he could.

The fact that I don't know how that $100 was spent was one of the drivers to turn my financial life around.
I remember the money being spent and realizing that it was not spent for an emergency and should have been kept for that purpose.

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:08 AM »
This is a great thread!!

While working at a retailer, I was approached by a couple which needed some help with picking a computer. I ended up helping them for about 3 hours,  but they were really funny and nice! Well they thanked me for my service and left. Well a few hours later the wife came back into the store and asked what I was doing that night (I know what you all are thinking HAHA!). Well I said ill probably be home watching the Spurs play with my girlfriend (wife now). She then said, PERFECT!! How about coming to the game with us? Well long story short, I did not know he was a Spurs player and him & his wife were so happy with me that they gave us great tickets and even during the game, the wife checked up on us. We found out that she asked a few other Spurs wives if they were willing to give up a seat. The Spurs wives ended up sitting in the far back so we could have the area to ourselves!! I am still so shocked that they went out of their way for just some random people like us.

Erik the Red

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:48 PM »
Awesome thread! Loving the heartwarming stories. I've been the recipient of kindness countless times through the years, but here's one that has stuck with me since childhood.

When I was 10, my dad finally let me use the riding lawnmower to cut the grass. One of the first times I did, I was cutting next to the shoulder of the road and got the mower stuck on the ditch hinge point. High-pointed on the mower deck. I was a small 10 year old, and no matter how hard I pushed it, it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to get my dad to help for fear of him not thinking I could handle the riding lawnmower. As I struggled to push it forward, feet sliding behind me, someone driving past saw me and just pulled over and helped me to push it out. No glib comment about it. Just said "here, let me give you a hand." and then just continued on his way. Of course I didn't tell my dad, but I never forgot how it felt to receive kindness from someone who didn't have to make the effort.

Thanks for this thread. It's always nice to be reminded of the good in the world.

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
When caught in the rain with my daughter and no umbrella, I've had a stranger give me theirs... on two separate occasions. (I think I need to get better about checking the weather!)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
This weekend someone I'd never met stopped by my house to pick up a small table I was giving away for free. As she left, she told me just wait, I have something for you. She came back shortly with some pretty flowers planted in a pot. Small thing, but it made my day.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
I know this is a very old thread, but a topic worth reviving. A neighbor whom I hadn't met before just gave me a free ticket to the theater for this weekend, and then she called me to tell me which bus route would take me directly there from our neighborhood.

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
Very nice topic indeed.

We went to a concert from our favorite metal band a while ago. We chatted a bit with others around us. A lady had to leave early (public transport) and as she left, she said thanks for the good time and pushed me and another lady something in our hands. She said 'ehm this is something I made myself' and left. It was a mesh jewellery bag with a tag 'nice to meet you, have a nice day'. It contained a nice necklace.
Weird thing was, I had the feeling I was going to give my bracelet away to someone that would say it looked nice that night when I put it on. I also made it myself and I also used blue and black for it. So I took of my bracelet and gave it to her.
What a lovely person, she makes jewelry, wraps it so nice and than the tag. I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of it. Well, unless someone that feels good says it looks nice ;-)
I was so great to tell it to my kids the next day.

Someone I knew send me €50 when I was in deep financial troubles after a really expensive relationship and the aftermath. He said, don't pay me back, pay it forward. He told me about the movie. I have honoured his request multiple times.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »
This is DEFINITELY a thread worth reviving.

One time I had borrowed my ex's car and was driving it down a very, very busy highway (interstate loop in a major metro area). One of the tires absolutely shredded. I was very near an exit, so pulled off and pulled over along the wide side of the off-ramp. I went to go change the tire... and the spare was utterly flat, because he'd taken the valve cap off the spare to put on another tire when he'd lost one, and something had clearly gotten in the Schrader valve and it had completely lost all its air. (This was, unfortunately, typical for my ex; have a spare tire, but risk non-functionality in order to save five cents). I called my ex, asking if he could come in a family member's car to come help me; he said that he couldn't, even though it was less than an hour's drive away, because he was "too busy," although it was a Saturday and he was on leave from the military. (Again, there are Reasons that we broke up.)

I was, at that point, agitated and close to tears; my ex also didn't have Triple A or any other roadside assistance on the car, and since I didn't own a car of my own, I certainly didn't have Triple A. I had just moved to the area, none of my friends had cars, and I was more than an hour from home. Not even five minutes later, a man with his 10 year old daughter who was getting off the highway pulled over. He took the spare, took it to the gas station to fill it up, looped back around on the highway, and then even put it on the car for me, which was a blessing; my hands were shaking at that point. I remember him at one point telling his daughter, "This is what we do for people."

I will never forget that guy. What a mensch.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
Love these stories.

I have been the recipient of RAOK many times - especially while living overseas and being an obviously clueless foreigner - but the one that came to mind just now was a small thing.

I had been at a career event and shared a taxi with two men I hadn’t met before that night. Well, once the first guy had left the other started on a weird emotional rant about how I had been paying more attention to other men all night. It was incredibly awkward and I was only 21 and didn’t know how to tell him to shut it.

Once he got out the taxi driver gave me an expressive ‘who the f was that creeper’ look and drove me home for free. More than anything, I appreciated feeling that he would have had my back if things got weirder.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »
We were travelling to the east coast from Ottawa and had made it to Cape Breton Island after three days of driving when I got a call that my mother was dying. And then, before I could get back, another call that she had died. I went to settle up with the place where we were staying, to explain that we would have to cut our stay short. The owner wold not take any payment, not for the night we had already stayed, not for the other night we would be staying and certainly not for the other nights we had booked. As kind as that was (and it truly was!), she did me an even greater kindness by telling me about a relative of hers who'd had Alzeihmer's (as my mom did) and how'd she'd wanted to move back to the town where she grew up and her husband sold their house and moved a great distance to make that happen. But it didn't really make a difference; she didn't realize where she was.  The woman who was telling me this may not have known it, but it was such a relief to me to hear that because my mom had been asking to travel back to her hometown before her situation deteriorated and I hadn't been able to do that with her so I was so relieved to hear that even if I had, she might not have even realized it was happening. That woman brought me so much kindness.

ArtOfFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »
I take the bus to work. One night a few months ago, I was heading home late and just as I rounded the corner toward the bus stop, my bus went by. Normally I'd just wait 10 minutes for the next one, but it was dark, cold, and had just started snowing hard, so I took off running after it. About half a block ahead of me, I saw a man also start running toward the bus. I thought "oh good, if he catches it I can catch up while he's boarding." When he reached the door, he stuck his arm into the doorway as if to hold it open, and turned and waited for me to catch up. I managed to breathlessly thank him as I hopped on. Then he turned and walked away - it wasn't even his bus! A total stranger ran after a bus for me. It blew my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
What a nice thread... thanks for bumping it up :-)

I try to be a net exporter of random acts of kindness, but for some reason I have some kind of karmic connection with people who want to give me rides.

One time I was waiting for the bus to work and another bus that was off-duty stopped for me. The driver asked for the address of my office and drove me there like it was a taxi, dropping me at the front door.

This one is a multiple RAOK: One time I was in Philadelphia for one night, after having had a bit of a crisis at home and being desperate to GTFO of town for a couple of days. I had posted on Facebook that I was thinking about doing this last-minute weekend trip because I couldn't stand being at home right then. A man that I had briefly met once while I was on vacation said "hey I'm in Philadelphia and I have an extra ticket to see [our favorite band] that night, consider it yours." We ended up going to the show, having dinner together and he drove me back to my hotel afterward. Super sweet guy. Five years later - we're close friends. When I was checking out of my hotel the next morning, I overheard an older man with a decent-sized suitcase asking someone how far of a walk it was to the train station (~2 miles). I was just about to take a taxi there so I stopped and asked if he'd like to ride with me. I figured he didn't want to spend the money or couldn't afford it. It turned out he was a cable company executive who just liked walking, but he thought *I* was broke because I was trying to share a taxi... so he accepted the ride, but upon arrival he insisted on paying the whole fare.

On four different occasions, strangers that I met and started randomly talking to at a concert insisted on giving me a ride home because (in chronological order) it was a really dangerous neighborhood; it was on their way; it was really late and I had to get up for work in the morning; it was really far out of their way but they liked me and were incredibly kind people.

At some point my friends were about ready to sit me down and give me the "stranger danger" talk because every time they turned around I was getting into a car with a stranger... :-P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:22:41 PM by Dollar Slice »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
I'm glad this thread was resurrected. I needed it.

Sometimes I try to be the friendly stranger. (Sharing to inspire, not meaning to brag.)

Recently: I bought groceries for two people behind me in line. It was near closing time and they each had one item and I couldn't stop thinking about how much I'd make their night if I just bought their items! So I added them to my groceries. Made less work for the cashier, too :)

I gave the remaining $2 on my Starbucks GC to the person behind me.

I paid the bar tab for my friend and her fiancé the night before their wedding... anonymously. I told the server that if they asked, she could just tell them that the prettiest lady in the place had taken care of their tab ;) (They have A TON of friends that were all there, so they'll be guessing forever...)

And the kindness that has come my way:

-A new friend of mine gave me a small plant. This tiny fern has done more to make my new city feel like a home than ANYTHING else. Such a sweet and gentle kindness.

I have little free libraries in my neighbourhood. Finding a good book in there is such a treat, and so kind of whoever put it in there for me!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
I paid the bar tab for my friend and her fiancé the night before their wedding... anonymously. I told the server that if they asked, she could just tell them that the prettiest lady in the place had taken care of their tab ;) (They have A TON of friends that were all there, so they'll be guessing forever...)

I love doing anonymous gifts :-) A couple of times I had a gift delivered to someone going through hard times (major illness, etc.) and signed it as though it were from an anonymous group - "with love from all of us" or something, to make them feel like lots of their friends are thinking of them instead of just the one.

I pulled off one little caper that they talked about for years, I sent cash in a seasonally inappropriate holiday card and had a friend mail it from a different state, so the recipient had absolutely zero clues. They were going crazy (in a fun way) trying to figure out who their anonymous benefactor was who wanted to help pay for their cat's emergency vet bills. I joined in the speculation on Facebook and threw in all kinds of red herrings. They never came close to figuring it out.

abner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:38 PM »
Years ago when our family consisted of 4 small kids we were invited to a dinner at a nice restaurant with other families. We were broke but decided to just spend the gas money and hope we would find money later. There was a business man eating there who had attended our church on occasion. Everyone in town knew he was crooked. He ended up paying for all the meals!

Well his business practices caught up to him. He was convicted and served time. He lost all of his possessions and his wife too.

Fast forward to now. He is living on a pauper's social security for not paying correctly into SS.
Barely has food to make it month to month.
But....he is one of the most faithful members of our church. He has no ill feelings about his meager life.
I have really gotten to know him and he has turned his attitude and life around. He gives what little he has to others in need. I have learned a lot through him about meaningful versus possessional things.
Most people around here (even in church) have thumbed their nose at him and told him good riddance.

Several guys and I have been his only friends in life lately but hey, he is still a human being and needs to be shown that he is loved regardless.