Author Topic: GTA V investing/businesses  (Read 2935 times)

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
GTA V investing/businesses
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I've been playing GTA V lately.  Just recently I've got to the point of investing in the market before killing the competitors CEO's and making a killing on my investments.  I've then started rolling the proceeds into the in game businesses.   I have to say I love the way this works in the game.   It's very simplified compared to real world investing, but the basics are there.

What I find the most interesting part is that one of the two markets in the game is linked to everyone else that is playing online's activities.  There are groups actively working to manipulate that market by attacking in game business's to drive down the stock price and create buying opportunities. 

Overall the complexity of what is happening amazes me.   

Is anyone else playing?

keith

• Bristles
Re: GTA V investing/businesses
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:26 AM »
I had no idea that any of that was even possible in the game until you mentioned it.

I was given a couple of gift cards recently to a store that sells games, so I actually just picked up GTA V over the weekend. My draw to GTA has just been the casual open-world/sandbox exploration aspect of it. Never really got into the story, missions, or "beating the game". I love just driving around hijacking cars, evading police pursuit, and flying jets :)

It is interesting to see that there is a whole economy side of the game though. What's the point of investing in it? Is it purely an in-game reward?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:19:28 AM by keith »

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:23 AM »
Lots of things to spend money on when you get a bit into the game. Things like customize your vehicles/wardrobe/tattoos... or buy business's which give you side missions as well as income or buy houses which I've yet to do so I have no idea what they do.    Very quickly however you're realize that missions do pay much and things cost a crap load of money. It's 5k to go to the hospital when you have  over a certain amount of cash on you and if you play like I do,  that adds up quick.   

the taxi business I bought was 200k,   the golf course is 150 million so that's either going to take cheating or serious saving coupled with some big paydays.

The online takes place in the same world but there you can slowly build up your character buying basically the same things but there are other people with you so you can show off your new car/apartment/...   

I was amazed when  was I was sitting there  wondering do I spend the 200k on the taxi business and get 2k/week in income  or do I keep that 200k liquid and have it for the next time I can manipulate the market via killing a CEO....  Early that day I had been wondering the same thing in real life but it was do I put the money into my mortgage where it's a safe guaranteed thing or do I put it into ETF's where the return is likely better...

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
lol if someone wants to start a MMM crew let me know and I'll join.   I think it costs money(ingame) to join a crew doesn't it?

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »
Killing CEOs has been my main investment strategy since 2005. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
Killing CEOs has been my main investment strategy since 2005.

Definitely a new take on "hostile takeovers."

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
I would most definitely recommend playing the stock market in this game. I don't play online much, but at least in the solo campaign if you do it just right you will have nearly unlimited funds after you finish the story and you can customize everything and buy property to your heart's content. It's a very clever system to add into what used to be just a killing spree sort of video game.