Author Topic: Grammar nazi  (Read 184587 times)

jordanread

Re: Grammar nazi
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2014, 04:39:04 PM »
Just read that Toyota decided that the plural of Prius is Prii...

*le sigh*

Ha!! That one got me in another thread:

Also, don't the newer Priuses (Prius', Pri-i, Priusi?) or some other hybrid have that 'feature' where they turn off at stoplights?

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
We need Latin in schools!  I.e. is id est, e.g. is exemplia gratia, et. al. is et alia, and so on.  If people knew what

Et al. is et alia if we're in the business of being picky.  ;)

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
We need Latin in schools!  I.e. is id est, e.g. is exemplia gratia, et. al. is et alia, and so on.  If people knew what

I've read this 10 times and don't see a difference.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »

It's the dot after et, I believe.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »

"Et" (or "et" if it isn't capitalized to start a sentence) doesn't need a period because it is a whole word (meaning "and"), not an abbreviation. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
God, I love this thread!

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: December 19, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »
I don't like the use of the term "Nazi" in this or any other loose context. Candidly I find it offensive...much more so than any grammatical mangling. For me, this is a penultimate "N" word. Unless it's a historical reference OR a reference to a current hate group, I don't like it.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
Just read that Toyota decided that the plural of Prius is Prii...

*le sigh*

No!

Does that mean that the singular of Wii is....   Wius?

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »
Didn't see this one. Everyday ("Non-profits ask for everyday needs this holiday season") versus every day ("I get up at seven a.m. every day"). I only ever see it in print, obviously.

Here's a quick Google example:

http://www.burlesonstar.net/localnews/ci_27188526

Headline reads:

"Police: 'We put our lives on the line everyday'"

Not correct. Most of the time news sources get this right and it's quotes that get it wrong, but not always.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »
I'm a grammar libertarian.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »

Your comment is offensive to libertarians.

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
I don't like the use of the term "Nazi" in this or any other loose context. Candidly I find it offensive...much more so than any grammatical mangling. For me, this is a penultimate "N" word. Unless it's a historical reference OR a reference to a current hate group, I don't like it.

I can certainly understand how the Holocaust is a sensitive issue for a ton of people. I sympathize.

However, blame Seinfeld.  Ever since the "soup nazi" episode, the term Nazi has entered the English vernacular as a general epithet referring to anyone who is stingy, perfectionist, or a self-proclaimed authority on a specific topic.

I don't like that "gay" is used by kids these days as a denegration, as in, "That's gay" whereas a slightly older group is more likely to say "That sucks" or "That's lame".  There's even a south park episode devoted to the slang use of "fag" referring to so-called "douchebags" or annoying, inconsiderate people rather than actual homosexuals.

I hate it. But English, like all language, evolves -- it's a force of nature and there's not much you can do about it except wait and hope it eventually is no longer trendy.

(And cognitive biases come into play that make us totally miss that someone might be offended by a slang term we use. For example, how many of you, reading the above paragraphs, noticed that "lame" might actually be offensive to disabled people just like "cripple" or "gimp" is?  I bet it's less than 10%)
(Is disabled the preferred term now? I know handicapped is no longer in vogue)

jordanread

« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »

I think he means that as far as grammar goes, he doesn't really give a crap what other people do. Doesn't offend me at all.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2014, 11:27:16 PM »

I think he means that as far as grammar goes, he doesn't really give a crap what other people do. Doesn't offend me at all.

I know. I was just trying to poke fun at all the "I don't like the word nazi" people.

LokiMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
1.)  People who use "that" instead of "who" when referring to other humans.
For example: "The man, that drove me insane with his horrible misuse of grammar, was simply ignorant." It should be: "The man, who drove me insane with his horrible misuse of grammar, was simply ignorant."
Unfortunately this is a common error that even professional writers make.
2.) Apostrophe abuse.
3.) Shined vs shone. "He shined his flashlight on the dark path."   Shined is when something is polished. "The maid shined the silver."  Shone is what someone did with a light to illuminate something.

I once threw a book across the room because the story seemed to take place only at night and everyone seemed to have their very own flashlight that they gleefully "shined" everywhere. Gurrr. 

jordanread

« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »

I know. I was just trying to poke fun at all the "I don't like the word nazi" people.

Yeah, I'm dumb. Totally missed that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »
I just picked up a copy of "Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words". It's an updated edition, and surprisingly entertaining reading.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
Use of the "n" word aside, this might just be my favorite thread of all time.  Thank you all for brightening what was an otherwise dreary day.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »

3.) Shined vs shone. "He shined his flashlight on the dark path."   Shined is when something is polished. "The maid shined the silver."  Shone is what someone did with a light to illuminate something.

I once threw a book across the room because the story seemed to take place only at night and everyone seemed to have their very own flashlight that they gleefully "shined" everywhere. Gurrr. 

I shined my shoes until they shone.

ETA: That isn't an example of the usage you mentioned. I just felt like saying it.

My current peeve is the addition of unnecessary prepositions (or postpositives). We serve up burgers. He heads up the group. They swapped out the disk drives. What happened to serving burgers, heading the group, and swapping disk drives?

And "out of" instead of "from"--a particular favorite of sports commentators. Jones is a first-year halfback out of Arkansas.
Sports "journalism" in general is chock-full of irritating misusage.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:09:53 PM by NoraLenderbee »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »
I also really hate that the new "standard" thanks to spell-check for spelling is Judgmental vs. judgemental.

What? Since when was judgemental ever the "standard"? I spelled that correctly in a spelling bee in the 5th grade (the correct spelling is, of course, judgmental).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
I also really hate that the new "standard" thanks to spell-check for spelling is Judgmental vs. judgemental.

What? Since when was judgemental ever the "standard"? I spelled that correctly in a spelling bee in the 5th grade (the correct spelling is, of course, judgmental).
Well, I'm only changing my way of spelling it if I can also change pronunciation.  From now on, I will be pronouncing it "jug-mental". 

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
Don't be a jugmental person.  Bad things can happen.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:28:34 PM by Grid »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
That is me!  Thank you -- made me laugh!

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
That is me!  Thank you -- made me laugh!

Haha.  You're welcome.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »
Certain mistakes seem to be contagious. Where I work, we have senior managers who routinely use myself when they mean me. "Send the email to Bob and myself." More and more people seem to be copying them.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
Certain mistakes seem to be contagious. Where I work, we have senior managers who routinely use myself when they mean me. "Send the email to Bob and myself." More and more people seem to be copying them.

At the risk of being corrected by the GN's who actually know what they are talking about, I would assume they do it because writing "Send the email to me and Bob" is an offence punishable by hanging?

I was always taught "Bob and I". Perhaps there is simply an aversion to using the word "me"?

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2014, 06:51:04 AM »

At the risk of being corrected by the GN's who actually know what they are talking about, I would assume they do it because writing "Send the email to me and Bob" is an offence punishable by hanging?

I was always taught "Bob and I". Perhaps there is simply an aversion to using the word "me"?

Heh. I always corrected my teachers on that, even in grade one. "I" is the nominative case of the pronoun, so it's not appropriate for use as the argument to a preposition such as "to". Prepositions are always followed by the accusative case -- which is "me". It's always "to me", never "to I", regardless of whether somebody else is involved.

I don't remember all the names of the different cases.  What I do is take out the other person. Would you say, "send the email to I"? How about, "send the email to myself"?
Uh, no and no (I hope)!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

Heh. I always corrected my teachers on that, even in grade one. "I" is the nominative case of the pronoun, so it's not appropriate for use as the argument to a preposition such as "to". Prepositions are always followed by the accusative case -- which is "me". It's always "to me", never "to I", regardless of whether somebody else is involved.

I don't remember all the names of the different cases.  What I do is take out the other person. Would you say, "send the email to I"? How about, "send the email to myself"?
Uh, no and no (I hope)!

Exactly! "Send the email to Bob and me" is correct here.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
While we are grousing - data!  In Star Trek!  Data is the plural of datum - it drove me crazy.

And gay - I am just old enough to remember South Pacific - gay was happy.  It morphed. And morphed again.  So did queer - it meant odd in a slightly worrisome way.  Like a queer occurrence - should I worry about it?

Re using Latin words as if they were English - if I had to memorize the 16 irregular verbs for French, and remember which nouns were masculin and which were feminin (so glad English has dropped that, except for boats), others can learn which English words have weird plurals. They don't need to know why, although it might help.  So there! Sniff.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
Maybe what is considered "normal" or "proper" depends on the person's age and country?  After all, Americans mis-spell so many words - honour, colour, and so on.  And think they are correct.*

Plus English is full of foreign words - most people would know ninja is not Latin, but where did bungalow come from? Ranch?  It is only the words that did come directly from Latin, and used to have common usage as Latin plurals, that are debatable as to how they should be shown as plurals. 

*This is a joke.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

Yes, that's the point.

I think a few other people have mentioned something similar, but my mother reflexively corrected me when I said "Bob and me" to say "Bob and I," even though "Bob and me" was correct in many cases.

I sometimes wonder if other people think my grammar is incorrect when I use "Bob and me" correctly. I probably shouldn't worry about that though.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »
Heard another one on the radio yesterday that made me twitch a little, although it is a pronunciation error and not a grammatical error:  "astericks" for "asterisk".

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
unthaw... do you me freeze or thaw
PCV Valve
ATM machine

These bother me

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
unthaw... do you me freeze or thaw
PCV Valve
ATM machine

These bother me

Lol.  People call these sorts of mix-ups RAS syndrome (Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome), but my personal favorite for it is PNS Syndrome (PIN Number Syndrome, or better yet Personal Identification Number Number Syndrome Syndrome).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:40:19 PM by Grid »

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
Have any of y'all read Authority and American Usage by David Foster Wallace? According to Wikipedia, AaAU is "A 62-page review of Bryan A. Garner's A Dictionary of Modern American Usage. Wallace applies George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" to grammar and the conditions of class and power in millennial American communication. While discussing the difference between descriptive and prescriptive grammar, Wallace digresses to discuss the legitimacy of Ebonics as opposed to "white male" standard English. Originally published as "Tense Present: Democracy, English and Wars over Usage" in the April 2001 issue of Harper's Magazine."

I think the folks in this thread (SNOOTs) will find it most entertaining.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2015, 04:04:08 PM »
Thanks, Philociraptor, that sounds excellent.

TheBanker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2015, 04:54:33 PM »
There is no "s" in "anyway". Never has been, never will be.

The world doesn't understand this.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
My English 8 teacher told us, "Never use utilize."  I've always remembered that little gem!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »

Uh, no and no (I hope)!

I fondly remember a fair-minded English teacher who gave us a test on this and included the sentence, "Vinnie waxes floors better than I/me." Of course, you were supposed to circle "I". Upon consideration, she realized "me" was also grammatically correct. So that question was a freebie for everyone unless they left it unanswered.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but I got into an argument with my 7th-grade Math teacher over the following question:

How many possible answer keys are there for a 25-question, multiple-choice exam, where there are 4 choices per question?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:05 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but I got into an argument with my 7th-grade Math teacher over the following question:

How many possible answer keys are there for a 25-question, multiple-choice exam, where there are 4 choices per question?

Aka 4^25

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »

Aka 4^25

Exactly.  The original "correct" answer was 4*25=100.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I couldn't help but think of this thread.  And it's probably in poor taste, but I laughed.

http://imgur.com/K65QfnJ

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I couldn't help but think of this thread.  And it's probably in poor taste, but I laughed.

http://imgur.com/K65QfnJ

I laughed too. 

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
I'm reading a book titled How to Grow a Novel: The most common mistakes writers make and how to overcome them* by Sol Stein.  Mr. Stein is an accomplished editor and author with a long career publishing best-sellers.  He's written 13 books - novels included.

In this book, he advises authors edit scrupulously to avoid distracting the reader.  Chapters later, he writes,

"I ask writers to insure that there is something visual on each page."

What's wrong with that sentence?

I wouldn't get all fussy about this except for the irony in making such a mistake in a book about (among other things), not making such mistakes. 

That nit aside, the book is quite good and very helpful to me.  It has a lot of useful advice, so far as I can tell, being a newbie aspiring author and all.

*Full disclosure: this link goes through my amazon associates account.  I've not come to a conclusion whether this is appropriate or not, so until I do, I'll continue with the links and the disclosures.  Heck, a girl needs a side hustle, right? 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:43:15 PM by Malaysia41 »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
"I ask writers to insure that there is something visual on each page."

I hope he at least suggests term insurance instead of that whole life stuff.  Making good choices does help ensure good results, although one cannot have complete assurance in said results.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2015, 05:36:47 AM »

Aka 4^25

Exactly.  The original "correct" answer was 4*25=100.

Any answer greater than one seems to imply an ambiguous set of questions. But I guess it could be one of those tests that are coded and the order of questions and answers could be random. I will retract my statement upon review.

For a long time I do not think I understood its versus it's. I have a feigned (!) memory of hearing something in seventh grade about needing context. That stayed with me until several years go when I saw a simple explanation. Wonder how often I was wrong.

I am still working on the removal of 'it could have went better' from my speech. Clueless until someone took pity and told me two years ago. Glad I seen the light. Ouch, it hurts mine ears to even type that. Weight, done got lost in my words.

Have enjoyed this thread, with the exception of the ridiculous concern over using nazi.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
I've been speaking with my brother a bit more than usual lately. He has a habit of saying "at this point in time". It makes me wince every time, but I'm trying to make a game of keeping my mouth shut.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »
He has a habit of saying "at this point in time". It makes me wince every time, but I'm trying to make a game of keeping my mouth shut.
I don't know what's wrong with that.  Is it considered redundant? 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »
Yes. And a bit pretentious.  "now" covers it.  One word instead of five.

He has a habit of saying "at this point in time". It makes me wince every time, but I'm trying to make a game of keeping my mouth shut.
I don't know what's wrong with that.  Is it considered redundant?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!