Author Topic: Grab and Go Protein snacks: picky eater  (Read 7102 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Grab and Go Protein snacks: picky eater
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »
So I'm required to have 3 snacks a day.
Each snack must have 15-30 grams carbohydrates and 1 oz serving of a protein (about 7 g of actual protein).

The problem is, I really dislike most foods with protein in them...

Keeping the following in mind- can anyone think of protein foods, that don't add a lot of carbs (because I typically use my snacks as an opportunity to eat fruit; so I need to pair with a "pure" protein as much as I can, or else I have to cut the amount of fruit I can eat.)

I don't eat:
-almost any meat
-cottage cheese

I'm already eating a lot of:
-cheese (oh my god, I eat cheese 3-4 times a day and am so tired of it)
-peanut butter (but this requires me to reduce my carbs, and I really kind of hate peanut butter; it's just the least worst of the various nut butters)
-milk (but a glass of milk is the entire snack due to the carbs)
-almonds
-eggs
-turkey sandwich meat
-turkey bacon  (these are two of the only meats I eat.)
-greek yogurt (which is gross, but not so bad if the carb I choose is nutella mixed in...  I also eat this regularly in smoothies, but that has to count as a meal because of the carbs in it)

I'll eat some forms of beans, but they generally go in meals, not snacks- still, I'm open to suggestions.

All the suggestions I get from pregnancy boards are spendypants diabetes specific food. I'd really rather real food if I can and not an artificially sweetened bar.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
Re: Grab and Go Protein snacks: picky eater
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
Crispy roasted chickpeas spiced however you like them. http://www.eatyourselfskinny.com/spicy-roasted-chickpeas/ This is short on carbs for your requirements, but you could add something in for that.

Lentil chips - the cheapest source is probably papadums if you have an indian grocer nearby, or go online to order. Bonus: they're really fun to watch puff up in the microwave. https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/papadums,444565/

Homemade soup crackers. Make veggie/lentil soup however you like it - but kinda thick. Puree. Either dry into crackers in the oven, or use a dehydrator. I see them a lot in thrift shops - but of course they do take up counter space when they are running.

Or you could make little smoothies in mason jars to bring with you if you are on the road - using silken tofu as your protein if you are over the whole peanut butter thing.

Edit to add: Roasted pumpkin seeds.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
Do you eat chicken? I love the roast chicken from Costco (but regular stores sell roast chicken too). If you take the skin off it is very low fat.

Retired beans with cheese and hot sause or salsa?

Other nuts instead of peanuts and almonds?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Thanks jakejake; most of those are carb heavy, so I'd have to give up my fruit, but some good ideas for variety at least.  I may just have to give up fruit to not have to eat so much damn cheese. 

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
Thanks jakejake; most of those are carb heavy, so I'd have to give up my fruit, but some good ideas for variety at least.  I may just have to give up fruit to not have to eat so much damn cheese.

don't forget that to determine actual carbs, you subtract the grams of fiber from total carbs....because you can't digest the fiber. 
So what you might be calling carb heavy, might actually not be when you consider NET carbs.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/subtract-dietary-fiber-carb-count-11020.html

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »

don't forget that to determine actual carbs, you subtract the grams of fiber from total carbs....because you can't digest the fiber. 
So what you might be calling carb heavy, might actually not be when you consider NET carbs.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/subtract-dietary-fiber-carb-count-11020.html

Nope.  Net carbs don't count. I'm having to carb count for gestational diabetes- they need me to do actual carb counts.  Starchy proteins count against the days total carbs.  GD is managed differently from type I and II diabetes.

(The nice thing about a GD diet is that unlike a diabetes diet it isn't low carb. It just has to all be balanced with protein.  And while I have a calorie and fat target, the nutritionist has also told me to not even bother thinking about those, as my weight is fine- I'm 31 weeks and have gained 3 pounds.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:59:46 PM by iowajes »

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 05:32:49 PM »
Whey Protein Isolate. 

One scoop is between 25-30 grams of protein, depending on brand, with < 1g carbs.  So you would need to use about 1/3 scoop per snack to meet your needs.  It comes in a variety of flavors such as chocolate and vanilla, and even unflavored.  I mix unflavored (still has a mild taste, but no flavors added) in with my oatmeal, but you could mix whatever flavoring you want.  Since Milk and Cheese are okay, I think you would be fine with it.

I most recently purchase:
NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate, 100% Pure 5Lb

I have also purchased the isolates from Costco.  I like their chocolate.

Also, sorry you are having issues with your pregnancy!  Hope no further issues from here on out.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:43:46 AM »
I haven't checked the protein or carb levels, but in addition to the roasted chickpeas mentioned by another poster, you can also get roasted soybeans.  Recently I found some with "sweeter" flavouring, like cinnamon, or lime.  Might pair nicely with fruit on the side!

Also, I like to snack on hummous.  You could have it with tomatoes (which are technically fruit!) or with celery, carrots, peppers, broccoli, cucumber, etc.  Or of course, crackers or bread or stuff like that, though that would obviously shatter the "low carb" criteria!

Similarly savoury, marinated then baked or fried tofu along with some veggies could be a nice change.  And what about things like tempeh, or seitan?  I don't eat much of those things but I think they should be decent protein sources, considering the role they play in some vegetarian diets - just not sure how carb-y they are.

I guess the other thing is to try different ways of eating the things that you already eat.  So if you normally eat chunks of cheese with grapes on the side, put slices of old cheddar on sliced apples, or put a basil leaf on some goat cheese or a touch of red pepper jelly on cream cheese.  If you normally eat your eggs hard-boiled, for a change make little eggy savoury pancakes (two very different types linked below), or try putting pickle in your egg salad (I think it's gross, but hey, you might think different!)

Savoury pancake 1 - reference is made to substituting things like lentil flour with wheat flour, so higher protein?  http://www.scratchingcanvas.com/spicy-indian-savory-egg-pancake/
Savoury pancake 2 - fried egg on top!  Literally protein and carb side by side, but you can flavour them up a bit
https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/savoury-pancakes-with-fried-eggs.html

Good luck with finding some ways to expand your repertoire!  I'm a picky eater too, so I really feel for you!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:23:17 AM »
If you have access to an east asian supermarket, or could order online, there are lots of bean-based and tofu-based pre-made snacks. For example, wasabi peas, peanut arare, edamame... and there are lots of snacks and desserts involving red bean paste. They're probably pretty pricey, but it might be worth it every so often to break up the cheese monotony!

Could you have frozen yoghurt, rather than normal-temperature yoghurt? Many different flavours! Comes in sugar-free varieties.

Also, when you say you don't eat meat, does that include fish? Again, probably pretty expensive but little mini-bento sushi/sashimi boxes would probably hit the spot! Also, tinned tuna with mayonnaise is really cheap and you can mix in chopped peppers, celery, cucumber, etc for variety. Treat like hummus and serve with raw vegetable sticks for dipping.

If you're eating turkey, could you get something like a pack of turkey nuggets (maybe bake from frozen so you don't need to worry about them going off) and just pop a few in the oven for snack time? Serve with ketchup or your favourite sauce and eat with your fingers for extra naughty-treat-factor. This could also work with fish fingers or other cooked turkey-type snacks. Maybe something you don't want to do every day, but it could be a weekend treat!

I'm not sure how carbalicious some of these suggestions are, but they might work for a bit of variety to make the cheese more bearable! Maybe you could make a snack schedule, whereby you have a 'special treat' (spendypants or minor-hassle-to-prep or requires-no-fruit-eating) every few days just to break it up psychologically. Something to look forward to.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:46:47 AM »
I was going to suggest the tuna pouches which are overpriced for what they are, but they sure are convenient if you need a snack on the go because you can  eat it with a spoon from the pouch, and they have some decent flavors (lemon pepper, etc).

Then I couldn't remember if pregnant women are still being warned off of eating tuna (maybe sushi as well).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »
I was going to suggest the tuna pouches which are overpriced for what they are, but they sure are convenient if you need a snack on the go because you can  eat it with a spoon from the pouch, and they have some decent flavors (lemon pepper, etc).

Then I couldn't remember if pregnant women are still being warned off of eating tuna (maybe sushi as well).

I can have 2 cans of tuna a week.  But I eat those as a meal, so it's not really a snack. 

No uncooked fish, but I can eat some sushi- however, the sushi rice and various accoutrements are difficult to account for if we don't make it and weigh it ourselves.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:22:14 AM »
Have you searched pinterest or pregnancy boards for "Brewer Diet" snacks?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
Some hummus dip with fresh naan would get you in the nutritional ballpark, is easy to make at home, and is tasty.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »
Some hummus dip with fresh naan would get you in the nutritional ballpark, is easy to make at home, and is tasty.

Do you have a good naan recipe? Ours has never turned out quite right. Usually ends up more like a pita (which is also good with hummus).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »

Do you have a good naan recipe? Ours has never turned out quite right. Usually ends up more like a pita (which is also good with hummus).

Eh . . . naan / pita occupy pretty much the same world in my mind.  Naan is maybe a tad heavier.  There are dozens of types of naan too . . . but that said, I've had good results with this recipe:
https://www.spiceroots.com/homemade-naan/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
Costco's Kirkland Signature protein bars are pretty good but not super real-foody (mostly whey protein and cashews with tapioca starch too).  ~23g of carbs with most of it fiber (4g "net).  They are artificially sweetened (with erythritol and stevia) but they still taste good.  They're the best tasting "bar" of that sort I've tried and they're not too expensive ($18 for a box of 20).  I often keep them around at work as a shelf-stable "crap I forgot to bring real food" backup.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  These are some good snack ideas.

The one thing this thread is really telling me is that it is pretty impossible to divorce the carbs from the protein when I want a snack. Pretty much everything (except tuna pouches, which to me are a meal...) are high carb too.
Which I think means if I'm not willing to give up fruit means I'm going to be eating a lot of cheese and eggs...

But at least I have some ideas for variety.

9 weeks left, then I can have my fruit again in the quantities I want it!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
If you want protein without carbs, there are plenty of options.  They're mostly powders though, because most natural foods will have a fair amount of fat or carbs along with any protein you get.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  These are some good snack ideas.

The one thing this thread is really telling me is that it is pretty impossible to divorce the carbs from the protein when I want a snack. Pretty much everything (except tuna pouches, which to me are a meal...) are high carb too.
Which I think means if I'm not willing to give up fruit means I'm going to be eating a lot of cheese and eggs...

But at least I have some ideas for variety.

9 weeks left, then I can have my fruit again in the quantities I want it!

Aw.  You've got a pretty good attitude about this.

Want us to give you as many ideas as we can for how to prepare eggs and cheese pretty much on their own i.e. different formats and flavourings?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
If you want protein without carbs, there are plenty of options.  They're mostly powders though, because most natural foods will have a fair amount of fat or carbs along with any protein you get.

The problem is- I can't just eat a powder...
Maybe mixed with water?

I guess I also have to make sure they don't have any objectionable for pregnancy ingredients. Lots are vitamin fortified and have too much vitamin A. Though maybe it matters less in the third trimester than the first.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »

Aw.  You've got a pretty good attitude about this.

Want us to give you as many ideas as we can for how to prepare eggs and cheese pretty much on their own i.e. different formats and flavourings?

I had a truly horrific experience with my first pregnancy; so this seems like a minor bump in the road. As of now, I'm still expecting a take home baby- it is just going to require some odd eating and a lot of measuring to get her there healthy!

I'd love ideas if people have them. Like I said- I'm looking for "snacks"- the things I can easily throw into my lunch box and eat during a meeting at work.  So that usually means a chunk of cheddar cheese with whatever carb I have (I love cheddar and apples) or a string cheese, or a hard boiled egg.  But if I do eggs for breakfast I alternate between over-medium (well, probably a bit beyond that- I'm not really supposed to have yolk...) and scrambled with salsa.   If I do it for dinner I can have something like a breakfast scramble with potato and bacon; but that's tough to fit into the breakfast allowance.

I also use pastuerized feta with meals; but it is too salty on it's own.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
Sounds like you're lacking in cheese variety... Besides cheddar, mozzarella, and feta, there is...

Goat cheese-available plain or in numerous savory and sweet flavors
Mini babybel
Spreadable babybel wedges (great on fruit, imo!)
Parmesan/asiago/romano (surprisingly low cal...)
TJ's Toscano or supermarket Bellavitano cheeses w/ flavored crust (we like espresso, black pepper, and rosemary, not so much the wine one)
Gouda and smoked gouda
Flavored cheddar: smoked, horseradish, etc
Havarti
Fresh/soft mozzarella (TOTALLY different product than string cheese); also comes herbed/marinated

Oooh and I bet if flavor, not texture, is your issue with cottage cheese/yogurt, ricotta would go great with fruit!

I'm also a fan of edamame...steam it and salt it in the morning and eat it cold. It's about 1/3 ea carbs, fats, and protein.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
Have you tried Marmite? And if you didn't like it, have you tried reduced-salt Natex? (Can't be the normal version, has to be the low-salt version.) BEST THING EVER with a plain cheese like cheddar. I often do cheese on toast with a Natex layer, but I guess you could just spread it (the tiniest amount!) directly onto a thick slice of cheese.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
Have you tried Marmite? And if you didn't like it, have you tried reduced-salt Natex? (Can't be the normal version, has to be the low-salt version.) BEST THING EVER with a plain cheese like cheddar. I often do cheese on toast with a Natex layer, but I guess you could just spread it (the tiniest amount!) directly onto a thick slice of cheese.

I have not tried marmite- is it like vegimite? Because that did NOT go over well with my American palette.

I've never heard of Natex, and when I googled it- I got a condom manufacturer. I wonder if it would even be available around here.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »

I have not tried marmite- is it like vegimite? Because that did NOT go over well with my American palette.

I've never heard of Natex, and when I googled it- I got a condom manufacturer. I wonder if it would even be available around here.

Marmite is a bit like Vegemite, I think. I've only had Vegemite once and I don't remember it that well. Full-salt Natex falls into a similar family. Reduced-salt Natex, however... it's almost cheesy in its umami goodness. It's doesn't have that smack-in-the-face quality that Marmite has. My mother has taken to buying it by the half-dozen from Amazon now they don't stock it in the local health-food shop any more, but so I looked it up on American Amazon. It's there, but WOW! It's expensive. www.amazon.com/Natex-225-g-x-1/dp/B00FM9XG5K But it's so good...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
Sounds like you're lacking in cheese variety... Besides cheddar, mozzarella, and feta, there is...

Mini babybel
TJ's Toscano or supermarket Bellavitano cheeses w/ flavored crust (we like espresso, black pepper, and rosemary, not so much the wine one)
Gouda and smoked gouda
Havarti
Fresh/soft mozzarella (TOTALLY different product than string cheese); also comes herbed/marinated

Oooh and I bet if flavor, not texture, is your issue with cottage cheese/yogurt, ricotta would go great with fruit!

I'm also a fan of edamame...steam it and salt it in the morning and eat it cold. It's about 1/3 ea carbs, fats, and protein.

Okay, now you're making me hungry!  (I love cheese!)  I agree that even substituting swiss cheese or edam or gouda for your cheddar is going to give you a little taste variety, at least.

But for other ideas - I just did some web searching for low carb cheese recipes.  Obviously, that's going to turn up a lot of "meals" along with the snacks, but I tried to think about what I wouldn't mind eating as a snack instead.  Your mileage will vary depending on how much energy you have to actually prepare the snacks ahead of time - late in pregnancy you may not appreciate very labour intensive snack making activities!  But some of them you could probably make a largish batch and freeze or keep for a while in the fridge - quiche-y things, cracker/crispy things, basically anything baked or cooked.

Here are some websites I found:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/low-carb-cheese-recipes
Highlights/ideas I got from this one include:
Cheese roll ups – sliced cheese rolled up with fruit or veggie slice or stick of your choice - here, they're spreading cheese with butter so that it's "keto" but you could modify to include other ingredients
Crustless mini-quiches, made in a muffin pan – can be egg white only if you want
Substitute low carb veggie (Cucumber?  Zucchini?) for crackers and serve with cheese and herbs on top
Mini bell peppers stuffed with plain or flavoured cream cheese – could add fruit on top?
Cheese “chips” – made here with salami but maybe you could think of something else to serve as the base?
Quesadillas made with low carb tortillas

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=low+carb+cheese
Portable/snacky options include:
Cheese crisp tostada supreme
Beef and cream cheese tortilla pinwheel Rollups
Low carb cauliflower bread sticks
Low carb crispy cheese balls

https://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-carb/Cheese.aspx
Some that look good to me include:
Parmesan chips
Crustless spinach pie (made in muffin tins, or cut into squares?)
Grilled zucchini roll-ups
Stuffed mushrooms (well, I don't like mushrooms but the general idea of stuffed veggie sounds good)
Mock cheese crackers
Stuffed celery with cheese and almonds
Cheese snack bites
Pistachio goat cheese balls
Sirnik (cottage cheese pancakes – if your objection to cottage cheese is taste or texture, these suggest topping with Nutella, or fruit, or …)

Oh, and I think you mentioned greek yoghurt earlier.  I love tzatziki, so don't forget to think of savory dipping options for yoghurt as well.  Could do a yoghurt based roasted red pepper dip too.  Oh, and not with yoghurt, but there's also baba ghanoush as a savoury dip.

Again, love your attitude - the take-home baby at the end is all that really matters, and you can eat whatever you have to, to get through the next 9 weeks.  But if you get even a couple of ideas for variety from this thread, then even better!

And just for fun, on the subject of Vegemite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sUhTWtvG4

My favourite from the comments section:
Tommaso Sirigu:  I'm curious, how does it taste?
Reply Zanoscar:  it tastes like Australian mornings.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Thanks for the great ideas!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »

Mini babybel
Gouda and smoked gouda
Havarti

Okay, now you're making me hungry!  (I love cheese!)  I agree that even substituting swiss cheese or edam or gouda for your cheddar is going to give you a little taste variety, at least.

But for other ideas - I just did some web searching for low carb cheese recipes.  Obviously, that's going to turn up a lot of "meals" along with the snacks, but I tried to think about what I wouldn't mind eating as a snack instead.  Your mileage will vary depending on how much energy you have to actually prepare the snacks ahead of time - late in pregnancy you may not appreciate very labour intensive snack making activities!  But some of them you could probably make a largish batch and freeze or keep for a while in the fridge - quiche-y things, cracker/crispy things, basically anything baked or cooked.

Here are some websites I found:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/low-carb-cheese-recipes
Highlights/ideas I got from this one include:
Cheese roll ups – sliced cheese rolled up with fruit or veggie slice or stick of your choice - here, they're spreading cheese with butter so that it's "keto" but you could modify to include other ingredients
Crustless mini-quiches, made in a muffin pan – can be egg white only if you want
Substitute low carb veggie (Cucumber?  Zucchini?) for crackers and serve with cheese and herbs on top
Mini bell peppers stuffed with plain or flavoured cream cheese – could add fruit on top?
Cheese “chips” – made here with salami but maybe you could think of something else to serve as the base?
Quesadillas made with low carb tortillas

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=low+carb+cheese
Portable/snacky options include:
Cheese crisp tostada supreme
Beef and cream cheese tortilla pinwheel Rollups
Low carb cauliflower bread sticks
Low carb crispy cheese balls

https://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-carb/Cheese.aspx
Some that look good to me include:
Parmesan chips
Crustless spinach pie (made in muffin tins, or cut into squares?)
Grilled zucchini roll-ups
Stuffed mushrooms (well, I don't like mushrooms but the general idea of stuffed veggie sounds good)
Mock cheese crackers
Stuffed celery with cheese and almonds
Cheese snack bites
Pistachio goat cheese balls
Sirnik (cottage cheese pancakes – if your objection to cottage cheese is taste or texture, these suggest topping with Nutella, or fruit, or …)

Oh, and I think you mentioned greek yoghurt earlier.  I love tzatziki, so don't forget to think of savory dipping options for yoghurt as well.  Could do a yoghurt based roasted red pepper dip too.  Oh, and not with yoghurt, but there's also baba ghanoush as a savoury dip.

Again, love your attitude - the take-home baby at the end is all that really matters, and you can eat whatever you have to, to get through the next 9 weeks.  But if you get even a couple of ideas for variety from this thread, then even better!

And just for fun, on the subject of Vegemite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sUhTWtvG4

My favourite from the comments section:
Tommaso Sirigu:  I'm curious, how does it taste?
Reply Zanoscar:  it tastes like Australian mornings.
Your suggestion of tiny quiches made ME hungry... Granted it's my lunchtime (13:30 pst)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!