65 (28%)
Meh -- not a deal breaker if it's in a dish
2 (0.9%)
I try to avoid it
2 (0.9%)
Yuck! It's horrid!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 228

Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 10887 times)

Melisande

• Bristles
Garlic
« on: November 23, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
I'm helping cook for a Thanksgiving dinner or 45-50 people. Last I heard I will be providing about 3/4 of the cooked vegetables (among other things). So far, I'm planning on making green beans with almonds and garlic; roasted cauliflower w/ garlic and spaghetti squash with Moroccan spices (includes garlic). So, yeah, they all have garlic in them. Why? Because over here in the Melisande household, we adore garlic (particularly roasted) and naturally gravitate towards recipes with garlic in them.

As I prepare, I am realizing that everyone might not feel the same way about it. So, I wanted to get a sense of how you guys feel -- I'm assuming you are a relatively random group as far as taste for garlic goes, although I might get more lovers/haters responding than those in the middle of the road. That way I can have a sense for how many of the three recipes I should omit  the garlic from.

OK, let's see what everyone thinks ...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
Garlic is love, garlic is life.  Garlic (and onions!) make everything taste better.

I used to have a roommate from Texas and after I dumped far too much garlic on a meal, his response would inevitably be "It could use more garlic."

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »
I would roast the cauliflower with rosemary instead to give a slightly broader flavour palette.  It is a great combination and you may want things to taste differently.  The Moroccan spices will be different enough with the almond garlic green beans that you will have a good variety.  But I don't think you can have too much garlic, unless it is raw.  Roommate and I had garlic induced hallucinations one night after a Greek meal.  We both ended up pounding back water and showering to get the garlic that was making us sweat like crazy at 3:30 am.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Just as a point of information -- there are a multitude of people who strongly object to having garlic in their food.  It's a preference, not an "allergy" as that term is so loosely used nowadays, but it is not something they are at all neutral on.

The preference is so strong that a lot of them even object to other people having what they regard as too much garlic in their food.

I'm not one of those people but rest assured they exist, and not in tiny numbers.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »
Just as a point of information -- there are a multitude of people who strongly object to having garlic in their food.  It's a preference, not an "allergy" as that term is so loosely used nowadays, but it is not something they are at all neutral on.

The preference is so strong that a lot of them even object to other people having what they regard as too much garlic in their food.

I'm not one of those people but rest assured they exist, and not in tiny numbers.

And this includes roasted, not just raw?

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
I would roast the cauliflower with rosemary instead to give a slightly broader flavour palette.  It is a great combination and you may want things to taste differently.  The Moroccan spices will be different enough with the almond garlic green beans that you will have a good variety.  But I don't think you can have too much garlic, unless it is raw.  Roommate and I had garlic induced hallucinations one night after a Greek meal.  We both ended up pounding back water and showering to get the garlic that was making us sweat like crazy at 3:30 am.

I was thinking of taking the garlic out of the green bean dish, since it already has the almonds and is a little less traditional in this recipe.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Add garlic to everything.  Anyone that objects is an idiot and should have a wooden stake driven through their heart. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
you should take that garlic and roasted cauliflower and throw it in a food processor with some balsamic vinegar and a can o white beans.  (cottage cheese if you eat dairy too)  its amazing.

Etihwdivadnai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:34 AM »

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
I go through 1-2 bulbs/week as a single household so yeah, I love garlic.  Some people don't though, & with 45-50 people attending I would think having one bland dish is appropriate (or a veg dish with a garlicky sauce, where people can choose to add the sauce or not).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Garlic's a staple, it's just present in so much cooking:

Italian food - Garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, (maybe some rosemary)
Chinese food - Garlic, soy sauce, ginger, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar
Indian food - Garlic, Cardamom, Clove, Pepper, Cumin, Cinnamon, Coriander, Nutmeg, Tumeric, Saffron, Onion
Thai food - Garlic, Lemon grass, Basil, Lime, Ginger, Peppers

etc.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
I went on a trip with someone who was actually allergic to garlic. I would have one dish without it just in case.

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
How about throwing in whole cloves or slices big enough to pick around?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
I'd probably do at least one side without if you can.

Fun fact - Large amounts of raw garlic cause my dad to lucid dream and soar off on "Einstein discovering Relativity" kind of space adventures. I'm jealous.

I'm planning on making a black garlic, sage, truffle salt for my mom for Christmas. We love the stuff in our household

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
I'm surprised that zero garlic haters have answered the poll. Maybe they are so repulsed they don't even want to think about it.

Anyway, yes, I'm doing one dish -- the beans -- without the garlic. However, I have decided to double the roast garlic in the other recipes to make up for it. 😊

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »
I'm doing one dish -- the beans -- without the garlic. However, I have decided to double the roast garlic in the other recipes to make up for it. 😊

Sounds like a great plan. I similarly had to make some of my famous "Spicy Coleslaw" for a party of ~50 people. I made one tray of 'mild' slaw and the rest 'spicy' so that anyone who didnt want the heat didnt have to have it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 02:10:41 AM »
Wow, as of this writing:
30 Votes (68.2%) for "I love it and eat it whenever I can" (which I picked)
14 Votes (31.8%) for "I like it" (which my wife would say).

ZERO for everything else (Meh, Avoid, and Yuck).

100% like.  I'm shocked no one (at least who've voted) dislikes garlic.

I absolutely love it.  I want it in everything, and when it's there, I want more.  I want the chunks bigger.

I literally have eaten garlic raw.  Just biting and chewing on it.  Multiple times.  (It grosses out my wife, which is just a side benefit.)  YUM.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 05:02:13 AM »
I like garlic and onions.  I have one friend who is extremely allergic to onions, and another who is extremely allergic to garlic.  Not just don't like it, really allergic.  In fact both love the taste but their bodies disagree, violently.  So yes, at least one dish with no contributions from the allium family.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
I used to travel to Gilroy, CA monthly. One day, as I drove in via a back farming road during the harvest season, the aroma was deliciously overwhelming. I was on the phone with a customer service rep, and described the experience to her. I was shocked when she replied that she was allergic to garlic. She said if she'd experienced what I was, she'd have to avoid the area completely. Who knew? Fortunately, she lived in New Jersey, so skirting Gilroy was unlikely to ever be an issue.

Story the second: I used to eat at a restaurant called The Stinking Rose in SF. They offered Garlic Ice Cream. I always joked that it was porbably just vanilla, because once you'd eaten a full garlic-laden meal your palate wouldn't know the difference. I finally ordered it and had my theory thoroughly disproved. Who knew? FYI, not gonna recommend it, just sayin'.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »

Sounds like a great plan. I similarly had to make some of my famous "Spicy Coleslaw" for a party of ~50 people. I made one tray of 'mild' slaw and the rest 'spicy' so that anyone who didnt want the heat didnt have to have it.

Ohh you know you can't just drop a recipe name like Famous Spicy Coleslaw and not have someone ask fro the recipe! I love coleslaw in all it's varied forms, I love garlic. I hope you'll share with us!

My FIL falls into the "hates it category" but has learned to be okay with it, the family tried to adapt by leaving cloves whole so they could be fished out before serving. Inevitably, one is missed and it ends up in his dish every.single.time.

There is a garlic restaurant here, and a couple of garlic festivals (Nothing like Gilroy, I'd love to go one day!) The only garlic preparation I have not liked is "Garlic Chip Cookies"  which was your average chocolate chip cookie recipes with chunks of freeze dried garlic in it.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »
Though I like garlic a lot myself, there are people who don't, especially if they were raised as "meat and potatoes" kind of people. There are also expectations around Thanksgiving meals conforming to specific norms. I'd have one vegetable dish that didn't have it.

But I'd like to be friends with you and be invited over for dinner a lot.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
I like it raw on pasta, you can really taste the tangy goodness that way.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »
I like it but I try not to eat too much of it.  two close relatives of mine love it and order enormous amounts of it on their food.  At least one of the two stinks the next day.  And I mean stinks.  Not reeks of garlic.  No.  She stinks some ungodly and unwholesome smell that cannot be described with words.  A stench that cannot be described as emanating from food, but rather from a corpse that has rotted in the ground for at least 4 days.   The odor doesn't not come from her breath, it just oozes out of her pores. 

Because I am a close family member, I must assume that my body would break down garlic the same way, so I avoid it on weekdays and never eat so much that I could foul up an area with my stink. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
Wow, as of this writing:
30 Votes (68.2%) for "I love it and eat it whenever I can" (which I picked)
14 Votes (31.8%) for "I like it" (which my wife would say).

ZERO for everything else (Meh, Avoid, and Yuck).

100% like.  I'm shocked no one (at least who've voted) dislikes garlic.

And now we know that we don't have any vampires in our midst.

But seriously, garlic is a wonder-food. Imagine how sad pesto would be without it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »
Besides being tasty, it's good for your immune system too.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
Looks like we got one spoiler vote in our thread after all ;-)  How can someone be indifferent to garlic?  It is the best!!!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
I like it but I try not to eat too much of it.  two close relatives of mine love it and order enormous amounts of it on their food.  At least one of the two stinks the next day.  And I mean stinks.  Not reeks of garlic.  No.  She stinks some ungodly and unwholesome smell that cannot be described with words.  A stench that cannot be described as emanating from food, but rather from a corpse that has rotted in the ground for at least 4 days.   The odor doesn't not come from her breath, it just oozes out of her pores. 

Because I am a close family member, I must assume that my body would break down garlic the same way, so I avoid it on weekdays and never eat so much that I could foul up an area with my stink.

Hahahaha, this post is hilarious! I am eating enormous amounts of garlic tonight and hope I don't stink like a corpse that has rotted in the ground for 4 days! LOL!  I actually put off making this pasta dish and eating garlic bread yesterday due to going to the dentist today. However, we got a terrible ice storm and I cancelled it today. Oh well, will reek of the stench of death tomorrow!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 11:17:21 AM »
Garlic is pretty tasty in the right dishes. I chop it up in bulk & freeze it in a thin layer in a freezer bag, so anytime I'm cooking it's really easy to grab a chunk of diced garlic & toss it in the pan.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
I love garlic.  I’ve been going easier on it lately though because I seem to have developed a sensitivity to it in my older age...I ate two heads of roasted garlic one night a few months back and had a very, very uncomfortable night with massive diarrhea and nausea.  :-(

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
Garlic is supposedly an anti-inflammatory.  I have chronic prostatitis so I take a garlic pill every morning.   Can't say that it's helped  much tho.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
I love garlic.  I’ve been going easier on it lately though because I seem to have developed a sensitivity to it in my older age...I ate two heads of roasted garlic one night a few months back and had a very, very uncomfortable night with massive diarrhea and nausea.  :-(

Ever tried black garlic? It's super slow roasted which breaks down the allicin (probably what causes stomach issues?) and turns the cloves into soft, chewy, sweet garlic candy. Not sure how this may effect the health benefits but you're going for flavor I would recommend it. It can be expensive but you can make it in a cheap rice cooker if you have the patience to wait 3 weeks.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
I love cooked garlic when you cut off the top a bit and then bake them in the oven with olive oil. I have clay cooker and when they come out they are all smooshy and you just squeeze the paste out over bread! It is to die for!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »
I was surprised when I first watched my mother cook with it that it takes so little to get the job done.  She had this little tool specifically for smashing and cutting a tiny wedge of it for a recipe.  That being the case, why do we see whole garlics strung together hanging up in kitchens?  It seems like it would take weeks or months to consume that many.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
there are some people out there who are allergic to garlic, so I wouldn't put it into everything. I myself love garlic but it's nice to have some different flavor profiles in the dishes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 06:39:54 PM »
there are some people out there who are allergic to garlic, so I wouldn't put it into everything. I myself love garlic but it's nice to have some different flavor profiles in the dishes.

This is what I was going to say. Some people have allergies, some people get major GI distress (seen a lot with IBS/SIBO).

That being said... for me, garlic = life. Love it.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
I'm one of the two people who voted "Try to Avoid It"

I like it, but it gives me terrible acid reflux, so I can't eat it.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a hit!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:53:38 PM by Eric »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »

This is what I was going to say. Some people have allergies, some people get major GI distress (seen a lot with IBS/SIBO).

That being said... for me, garlic = life. Love it.

Yup, I am one of those people. I have an intolerance to alliums. It is NOT because I "just need to learn to like it". The taste is delicious! But my body tries to digest it and just can't and the gastro-intestinal consequences are unpleasant.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 12:15:18 AM »
Yum. Many dishes are not complete without it.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:04 AM »
I was surprised when I first watched my mother cook with it that it takes so little to get the job done.  She had this little tool specifically for smashing and cutting a tiny wedge of it for a recipe.  That being the case, why do we see whole garlics strung together hanging up in kitchens?  It seems like it would take weeks or months to consume that many.

It's for the vampires silly!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 07:19:53 AM »

Hanging can be part of the curing process for garlic: https://www.gardenbetty.com/a-guide-to-curing-and-storing-garlic/ So even now when people buy store bought garlic, this is a pretty common traditional approach for storage. Very common with gardeners still though. As for the quantity: well, obviously if you're growing your own, the crop comes out of the garden just once per year, so if you grew enough for the year, you start out with a lot. Even if not though, I buy the costco size bags of garlic (4 lbs, it's a lot of garlic), and my husband and I go through that in somewhere between 3-6 months, depending on what we've been cooking. Just the two of us. It sounds like your mom and I might cook with different amounts, haha. Unless by "tiny wedge" you mean a single clove, I guess. Even then, I do 2-3 cloves of garlic in most things. And a big tray of roast veggies? 2 cloves in that, and we make roast veggies nearly every day through fall and winter.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »
My girlfriend who says she likes garlic says I put way too much garlic in recipes that call for it. I love it that way though :\

soopy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

Indian food - Garlic, Cardamom, Clove, Pepper, Cumin, Cinnamon, Coriander, Nutmeg, Tumeric, Saffron, Onion

etc.

Garlic is actively shunned by 50% of Indians, onions by about 20%.  The daily spice rack of most Indians doesn't have Cinnamon or Saffron. It's too expensive to be eaten by the common man. Nutmeg is most commonly used on infants. Cloves aren't really eaten and rather chewed.  You've left out cayenne which is the main ingredient in every meal/spice mix.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
My parents' neighbor found some really really small garlic bulbs that produce an even smaller clove(almost resembles a white/pinto beans) around the train tracks by their homes.

He brought some of those to my mom's last years and they were intense in flavor. My Mom asked him where he got them from and he replied he found them by the train tracks and left it at that. I tried them, and they were like no garlic I've tasted before.

I meant to ask him to show me where he got them but completely forgot about it until now lol. I gotta find out. Maybe start planting them at home.

There are several varieties of wild garlic.  They can be intense.  I had them growing in the yard of a house I bought once.  They are very hardy, will spread and take over your lawn, if you care about those things.  It was a bit much mowing the lawn.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
Mmmm, garlic. We live in an area with a large Middle Eastern population, and the Lebanese restaurants tend to serve shawarma with toum, an absolutely addictive garlic paste.

Husband just heat-canned a batch of pickled garlic. I can’t wait to try it (it smelled amazing while he was prepping).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 04:51:10 AM »
Recipe calls for 2 cloves?  Fuck it we’ll do it live.  At least a head.

- also a Costco garlic buyer

But has anyone bought the GINGER from Costco?  That’s insane and I also like ginger

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 06:07:45 AM »

But has anyone bought the GINGER from Costco?  That’s insane and I also like ginger

Meaning too large a quantity?  You can store ginger root in the freezer and simply grate off the amount you need.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »

Meaning too large a quantity?  You can store ginger root in the freezer and simply grate off the amount you need.

Its too much but also not particularly cheap.  So overall not worth the hassle of freezing.  I want to say it’s like 5lb... it’s quite a large box

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 06:51:28 AM »
That's a lot of ginger.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »

etc.

Garlic is actively shunned by 50% of Indians, onions by about 20%.  The daily spice rack of most Indians doesn't have Cinnamon or Saffron. It's too expensive to be eaten by the common man. Nutmeg is most commonly used on infants. Cloves aren't really eaten and rather chewed.  You've left out cayenne which is the main ingredient in every meal/spice mix.

YMMV.

I live in a place where about 30 - 40% of the people are Indian/Pakistani.  I've had the good fortune to sample a fair amount of cuisine, and just listed what seem to be pretty common ingredients.  You did pique my interest though, so I checked out a few websites and it seems that northern Indian typically uses garlic, and southern Indian Ayurvedic based vegetarian cuisine tends to shun it.  Maybe the people around here are predominantly from northern India?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
That's a lot of ginger.

Well I was wrong it was only about 2lb at $3.50/lb.  I remember thinking at the time it was a similar price to my local grocery but now I’m not so sure.  Still, a good sized root will last me a very long time

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!