Author Topic: Fantasy Football Forum  (Read 4639 times)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
Fantasy Football Forum
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
I am sure there are other Mustachians here who play Fantasy Football. This is not a forum to argue about whether Fantasy Football is or is not Mustachian but a forum to discuss your rosters, if you have questions on who to start/sit, etc or just brag about how awesome your team is.

Also food for thought, maybe next year we can even attempt a Mustachian Fantasy Football League!

thebeachbum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fantasy Football Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
I find fantasy football to be extremely Mustachian it provides me with 17 weeks of entertainment, and countless hours of research for little to no money. I don't pay for cable to watch the games, but with ESPN's fantasy cast you can keep up with all the games for free. It has kept friends from college close, and in touch over the year, through smack talking and such. I love fantasy football, and on a $/Hour entertainment scale its pretty cheap if not free.

Rob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
I would be in for a Mustachian league. The only problem is that I find it to be much more entertaining when there are prizes, which is not very Mustachian. :(

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
Nothing like yelling at your phone and/or tv every Monday, Thursday, and Sunday. I love fantasy football so very much :) (not joking, it is awesome)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
You would think I would learn my lesson and play in points leagues, but no.  Instead, I always play head-to-head and invariably end up scoring a ton of points (usually the most or close) but somehow always manage to bring out the best in my opponents who score more against me than anyone else.  So I wind up winning a few weeks but not enough to make the playoffs.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »
We could still put a league together for this year...

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
My QB and RBs this year were RG3 and Ryan Mathews (injured)and Adrian Peterson (suspended). One of my WRs is Wes Welker (suspended first two weeks). I am 1-2, and it's going to be a long year.   

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
I play in two leagues, one money, one free.  I'm 2-1 in the money league (thank you, Peyton Manning) and 0-3 in the free league (FUCK YOU TOM BRADY).  I've been playing for about ten years and for the most part it's fun, except when there's a guy who thinks that because I'm a woman I couldn't possibly know anything about football.  I played That Guy last week and demolished him.  Very satisfying.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:05:09 PM by MandalayVA »

OptimizeOptimism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »
I've only been playing the last couple of years but I have been immensely entertained so far. Got my boyfriend in on it this year and so far we've discovered that we absolutely cannot watch Cardinals games together; he has Floyd and I have Fitz... it gets ugly. lol

I'm a little upset this year because I guess the majority of my league decided that they wanted to do a $50 buyin with cash prizes. Now, not that I can't afford it... I just don't "get" the gambling aspect. Just not my deal. So basically my contribution just goes toward my "entertainment" budget because it's something I have fun doing with my friends. But I am thinking about rebelling and establishing my own (once again free) league next year.

Maybe I'm just upset because I'm not getting any of that money back, specifically because:

(FUCK YOU TOM BRADY).

Yea...

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
My QB and RBs this year were RG3 and Ryan Mathews (injured)and Adrian Peterson (suspended). One of my WRs is Wes Welker (suspended first two weeks). I am 1-2, and it's going to be a long year.

Holy shit?!?!?!?! Moment of silence for your team...

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
Ok, folks, I did it.  I have set up a fantasy league for us.  It is points based, not head-to-head, and of course is free and just for fun, and will have an autopick draft when we are set.  Need a minimum of 3 more teams, maximum of 9.  It's on Yahoo, so if you have an ID there you're already ahead of the game!  I hope we can get enough before this weekend's games!

https://yho.com/nfl?l=1515513&k=a0b118357f1b7039

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
Ok, folks, I did it.  I have set up a fantasy league for us.  It is points based, not head-to-head, and of course is free and just for fun, and will have an autopick draft when we are set.  Need a minimum of 3 more teams, maximum of 9.  It's on Yahoo, so if you have an ID there you're already ahead of the game!  I hope we can get enough before this weekend's games!

https://yho.com/nfl?l=1515513&k=a0b118357f1b7039

Anyone else? We need at least 2 more.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
Woo hoo, finally some replies. Anyways my team is currently 0-3. Other than Nick Foles the rest of my team has done squat. Matt Forte has done nothing, Andre Johnson has done nothing, Jordy Nelson has only had 1 good game, Seahawks Def blows so far, Frank Gore did squat last week....

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
I play in two leagues, one money, one free.  I'm 2-1 in the money league (thank you, Peyton Manning) and 0-3 in the free league (FUCK YOU TOM BRADY).  I've been playing for about ten years and for the most part it's fun, except when there's a guy who thinks that because I'm a woman I couldn't possibly know anything about football.  I played That Guy last week and demolished him.  Very satisfying.

Ha ha, we must meet for lunch soon and exchange notes....

I managed to draft Cutler so losing RG3 wasn't a season-ender, but somehow I knew the AP pick was going to backfire on me. We play in a 14 team league, so the chances of carrying a deep bench are slim.

I think this is the year age finally catches up to Brady. That, and a lack of quality WRs....

Quantum Warrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
(first time poster here)

I love fantasy football, and there is a lot of Mustachian values involved in the more strategic hardcore, elite fantasy football players. We pick value and consistency over risky boom-or-bust players. We understand how "hype" creates a fake value on players, that others will buy into, but we will not and thus we will be more successful. When it comes to trading, we are extremely sneaky and know when to sell high on over-hyped players.

As for me, I am elite in fantasy football, although new to Mustachianism. My fantasy team, in my money league (12-team ESPN standard league) is:
QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Montee Ball, Andre Ellington, Steven Jackson, Matt Asiata, CJ Anderson (handcuff for Montee) and Alfred Blue (handcuff for Foster owner, has trade value)
WR: Dez Bryant, Keenan Allen, Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders
TE: Martellus Bennet (value pick, one of my last picks in the draft, but 3rd best TE in the league)
D/ST: Bengals
K: Graham (Saints)

I am undefeated, and the people in my league are imploding because they do not understand value, they buy into stupid hype, and coincidentally they are very anti-Mustachian in their behaviors