Author Topic: Dolly Parton - secret mustachian?  (Read 3592 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Dolly Parton - secret mustachian?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:06:35 AM »
I became a huge Dolly Parton fan after reading Joshua Kennon's article about her.

WELL worth a read, especially if you know nothing about her (I didn't):
http://www.joshuakennon.com/dolly-parton/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:49:39 AM »
Wow. That was an amazing article. I feel like I'm just had one of those moments when your whole worldview shifts a little bit. I first became a big fan when I read about her totally ordinary and non-famey relationship with her husband, but I had no idea about what an astute businesswoman she was even at the beginning of her career. Thanks so much for posting that link!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »
My pleasure.  Glad you liked it.  :)

(Joshua has lots of other amazing content, FWIW; well worth delving into his archives, IMO.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
Good article. Maybe it's better known in the States, but people in the UK are often surprised to find out abot the extreme poverty she grew up in, as one of twelve children, the kind of childhood that no-one in north america or western europe really has any more. Or that's she funding a huge project promoting childhood literacy in addition to all the conservation and HIV/AIDS charity funding she provides. She's often treated slightly as a joke figure here, which is totally at odds with reality.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
I LOVE Dolly Parton! I saw how her Imagination Library put books in the hands of children, back when I was living in the Bronx.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »
I became a huge Dolly Parton fan after reading Joshua Kennon's article about her.

Agreed. 

I knew a little about her career and some of the charitable work but was blown away by her life story after reading Mr. Kennon's case study.

Seriously, everyone go read it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
Dolly Parton is pretty incredible. I've always admired her.

I think she would get a lot more respect for all that she does if it wasn't for the plastic surgery...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Dolly Parton is pretty incredible. I've always admired her.

I think she would get a lot more respect for all that she does if it wasn't for the plastic surgery...

Eh, funnily enough that doesn't bother me much. I generally don't like plastic surgery, and I generally don't like what you might describe as her "look" (skintight clothes, lots of makeup, very low cut tops...) but somehow on her it kind of works. I think it's both because she's so upfront about it and because she hasn't fallen prey to so many behaviours of "stardom" that often come alone with that look. She wears very revealing clothes but you don't see her photographed falling out of clubs every weekend. That look normally signals particular ways of acting, but she doesn't do any of them, so turns out I'm actually not that bothered about women wearing that "look" after all. I mean, I wouldn't wear it myself, but it does seem to make her happy and she respects herself, so who am I to bother her about it? :)

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

Thanks for the link.

The best article I have read in the past year.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
Draft Dolly for Governor of Tennessee now!

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

This Tennessean would vote for her!  I like Dolly a lot. She has done a lot for the state.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
It's no secret; she's the real deal (in this and a lot of other things).

There was a gigantic "anonymous"donation to rebuild Gatlinburg after the wildfire this fall - anonymous my foot. :)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 03:45:11 AM »

Dolly for President!

I Googled and apparently she's worth $500m. I'd love to know what's in her will. A bit like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, I'm quite looking forward to seeing where it all goes when they die (in more detail than just "to charity") as I'm sure they'll make some good decisions and they might make some controversial ones. But I'm interested too to know if there will be any conditions on the money - like not spending the capital, for example. And whether Dolly might leave the royalties from specific songs to people or organisations. Must be nice for a charity to think you're being funded by 'I Will Always Love You' or '9 to 5'!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »

This Tennessean would vote for her!  I like Dolly a lot. She has done a lot for the state.

Then write to her!  Or get a petition going.

This seems to be her address
http://www.dollyon-line.com/site/contact.shtml

I don't live in TN so I couldn't do it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
She is an awesome lady.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
Yes she is! I think she'd be a great governor. Or president of the USA. I'd at least feel like she was telling the truth.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!