Author Topic: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?  (Read 260988 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?
« Reply #1300 on: September 29, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
Gee if Minnesotans are so wonderful for braving the wilderness and the winters, he must REALLY love Canadians.  Mon pays c'est l'hiver and all that.      /s

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1301 on: September 29, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
Interesting.
The original question was if "You have good genes. A lot of it’s about the genes, isn’t it? Don’t you believe? The racehorse theory you think was so different? You have good genes in Minnesota." was blatant support for eugenics.

You quickly started referencing other snipped sections and then started leaving out the sections on genetics. Quite the redirection.

So again:
What is your interpretation of Trump's purpose in mentioning genetics and Racehorse theory?
Yes, very interesting.

I suppose if you ignore the part about genes and racehorse theory, you know, just completely fail to acknowledge that part of the speech even exists, then there's nothing it at all about genes and racehorse theory and thus no implied support for eugenics.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1302 on: September 29, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
Interesting.
The original question was if "You have good genes. A lot of it’s about the genes, isn’t it? Don’t you believe? The racehorse theory you think was so different? You have good genes in Minnesota." was blatant support for eugenics.

You quickly started referencing other snipped sections and then started leaving out the sections on genetics. Quite the redirection.

Yes, and the original answer included that quote, but also what came after it:
Like saying, "You have good genes. A lot of it’s about the genes, isn’t it? Don’t you believe? The racehorse theory you think was so different? You have good genes in Minnesota. [They didn’t have a lot of money. They didn’t have a lot of luxury, but they had grit, they had faith, and they had each other. That’s what you have now. You have each other.
They were miners and lumberjacks, fishermen and farmers, shipbuilders and shopkeepers.]"?

How is this not blatant support for eugenics?
I really have no idea where one could pull eugenics out of that....

A later post also included everything above, plus what came before it.  Hard to see how that is "redirection" - in what way do you see redirection?

So again:
What is your interpretation of Trump's purpose in mentioning genetics and Racehorse theory?

So again:
It's a stump speech, in which a presidential candidate sprinkles a few state-specific comments. Note that it's usually best if the candidate remembers the correct state name. ;)

One might read into it that he's saying "your ancestors didn't need government help so neither do you" - a typical Republican stance.  Seems quite a stretch to go from that to eugenics, but maybe your dog-whistle hearing is genetically superior. :)

In other words, there wasn't much "purpose" beyond the usual Republican appeal to self-sufficiency, etc.  It seems to bother you a lot, though, and if you think Trump is secretly plotting a eugenic campaign across America, that "racehorse theory" is a coded message for the troops to assemble, and this election is the last chance to stop it, well, I can understand why you would be upset.  As already mentioned, alternate realities....

If the words "racehorse theory" are in fact something that bother many people, then Trump wasn't smart to say them.  Had you not mentioned the background, I doubt many would have noticed.  Even the transcription that accompanies the audio says "resource theory" instead of "racehorse theory" but I think "racehorse" is what he said.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1303 on: September 29, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
A later post also included everything above, plus what came before it.  Hard to see how that is "redirection" - in what way do you see redirection?

Why say this? other than to redirect:

If you think "this state was pioneered by men and women who braved the wilderness and the winters to build a better life for themselves and for their families. They were tough and they were strong." is "blatant support for eugenics" then we are far apart on basic assumptions.

We all know that's not the quote the OP was referring to.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1304 on: September 29, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »

Let's take one post at a time, shall we?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1305 on: September 29, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »
If you think "this state was pioneered by men and women who braved the wilderness and the winters to build a better life for themselves and for their families. They were tough and they were strong." is "blatant support for eugenics" then we are far apart on basic assumptions.
And if you think a single mention of the phrase "racehorse theory" - in the given context - is "blatant support for eugenics" then we are far apart on basic assumptions.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1306 on: September 29, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »
And if you think a single mention of the phrase "racehorse theory" - in the given context - is "blatant support for eugenics" then we are far apart on basic assumptions.

I don't think that. In fact I haven't weighed in on the topic at hand.

I was just asking why you used that quote when we all know that's not the quote being referenced?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1307 on: September 29, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »

I was just asking why you used that quote when we all know that's not the quote being referenced?
Because I think that is the part that best summarizes what Trump was saying in this part of the speech: "your ancestors didn't need government help so neither do you" - a typical Republican stance.

How would you summarize this part of the speech?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1308 on: September 29, 2020, 10:10:16 PM »

Because I think that is the part that best summarizes what Trump was saying in this part of the speech: "your ancestors didn't need government help so neither do you" - a typical Republican stance.

--edited for redirection attempt--

But that's not the part the OP referenced, right?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1309 on: September 29, 2020, 10:17:06 PM »

How would you summarize this part of the speech?

But that's not the part the OP referenced, right?
Your turn to answer first.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1310 on: September 29, 2020, 10:36:08 PM »
I had to look up "racehorse theory" and google came up with this article from 2016 -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-president-superior-genes-pbs-documentary-eugenics-a7338821.html

Seems pretty clear to me.  Not just a single mention, not a mistake, not something that can be explained away.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1311 on: September 29, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »

No thanks, the question is clearly an attempt to redirect and change the subject. I'm not interested in that.

Ok, I should let this end because it's probably annoying anyone with an interest in an productive discussion, but I think it was pretty obvious to everyone else here that you used an innocuous quote and feigned confusion to make it look like OP was outraged by something innocent all the while knowing that the source of their claim was a different quote.

I just wanted to see how far you would go to deny it.

One more time in case you forgot what you said:

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1312 on: September 29, 2020, 11:34:32 PM »

No thanks, the question is clearly an attempt to redirect and change the subject. I'm not interested in that.

Ok, I should let this end because it's probably annoying anyone with an interest in an productive discussion, but I think it was pretty obvious to everyone else here that you used an innocuous quote and feigned confusion to make it look like OP was outraged by something innocent all the while knowing that the source of their claim was a different quote.

Yup, that's part of what I said in a post that also included the racehorse phrase.  Given that, as far as I know, Trump hasn't instituted any eugenics program for the USA, I couldn't care less if he thinks he has good genes - even really good genes, you know, the best genes.  So yes, unless someone can explain it better, being outraged over the totality of the section or even the two words alone seems quite the overreaction.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1313 on: September 30, 2020, 02:15:46 AM »

Yup, that's part of what I said in a post that also included the racehorse phrase.  Given that, as far as I know, Trump hasn't instituted any eugenics program for the USA, I couldn't care less if he thinks he has good genes - even really good genes, you know, the best genes.  So yes, unless someone can explain it better, being outraged over the totality of the section or even the two words alone seems quite the overreaction.
Well, the history of breeding humans in states like Minnesota is one thing and the history of breeding humans below the Mason Dixon is another, and I don't think you can talk about one approvingly without bringing with it the spectre of the other.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1314 on: September 30, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
Cool, so you're going with @the_gastropod 's category of  "yea, Trump says stupid shit. But he’s harmless.”
Sounds good, carry on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:36:29 AM by GreenToTheCore »

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #1315 on: September 30, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »
Cool, so you're going with @the_gastropod 's category of  "yea, Trump says stupid shit. But he’s harmless.”
Sounds good, carry on.

Trump is a special type of straight talker that doesn't mean what he says.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1316 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
straight talker = truth teller
doesn't mean what he says = liar

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1317 on: September 30, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »

Right, that's the joke.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1318 on: September 30, 2020, 10:09:46 AM »

Right, that's the joke.

Sorry.  It's increasingly hard in this day and age to tell sarcastic Trump denouncers apart from erstwhile Trump supporters.

:P

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1319 on: September 30, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
Indeed it's incredible his powers. Trump is different than a liar, he somehow distorts reality itself.

It's that he uses language not to convey facts at all, but to establish order, narrative, hierarchy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1320 on: October 01, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »
Here's yet another example of Republican voter suppression looks like, folks:

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered the removal of mail-in ballot drop-off locations across the state, limiting to just one drop-off point per county.

---

In Travis County, which holds the state’s capital of Austin, officials had opened four satellite locations for voters to hand-deliver their mail-in ballots. The county of 1.2 million people includes more than 800,000 registered voters, all within a county that’s more than 1,000 square miles.

Harris County, one of the largest counties in the US, has 12 satellite offices, covering the greater Houston area. The county covers more than 1,700 square miles, with more than 2.4 million registered voters.

(Source: The Independent: Texas governor to close mail-in ballot drop-off boxes, limiting one per county)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1321 on: October 01, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has ordered the removal of mail-in ballot drop-off locations across the state, limiting to just one drop-off point per county.

---

In Travis County, which holds the state’s capital of Austin, officials had opened four satellite locations for voters to hand-deliver their mail-in ballots. The county of 1.2 million people includes more than 800,000 registered voters, all within a county that’s more than 1,000 square miles.

Harris County, one of the largest counties in the US, has 12 satellite offices, covering the greater Houston area. The county covers more than 1,700 square miles, with more than 2.4 million registered voters.

(Source: The Independent: Texas governor to close mail-in ballot drop-off boxes, limiting one per county)

Yeah, sounds typical.  This state is such a joke in so many ways.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1322 on: October 01, 2020, 01:41:53 PM »

---

They are almost caricatures of themselves, in their hatred of democracy.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1323 on: October 01, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »

---

They are almost caricatures of themselves, in their hatred of democracy.

Everything's bigger in Texas.  Including hatred of democracy?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1324 on: October 02, 2020, 04:52:01 AM »
I have family in Texas (son's biological family lives there). Not a single one of them is a Trump supporter. Even the one who loves and collects guns. Our neighbors moved to Texas last year and same thing. Texas is indeed seeing a shift. Voter suppression may help them in the election, but it isn't helping their cause.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1325 on: October 02, 2020, 07:42:27 AM »
Republicans have such a lock on Texas that you really have to understand wings of the party to understand Texas politics. Abbott is considered a pro-business moderate. He's constantly in peril from a challenge from the Evangelicals and the ultra-conservatives. It's more likely that someone like the Lt. Gov ("I'd sacrifice myself so my grandchildren can have a strong economy") would unseat him than that a Democrat ever would.

This ballot box thing is a dirty, anti-democratic scandal, but the outraged democrats just cannot muster enough clout there to really respond.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1326 on: October 23, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
Indeed Gov. Abbott just proudly tweeted that a conservative group called him the "Most Conservative Governor". No fears from centrist voters there.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #1327 on: February 16, 2022, 09:41:34 PM »
Given that Hillary Clinton spied on a sitting US President, does anyone regret voting Democrat?

Serious question.  What she did was worse than Watergate.

I am interested to see if anybody is honest enough to admit it.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: February 17, 2022, 12:52:51 AM »
Given that Hillary Clinton spied on a sitting US President, does anyone regret voting Democrat?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/02/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-white-house-spying/amp
Wow.  The degree of infiltration made by the Trump bullshit is alarming, both in its reach and its extreme nuttiness.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1330 on: February 17, 2022, 03:46:24 AM »

Nope, I have no regrets. In addition to the article that Ozzie and Harriet posted, this seems like yet another attempt by Trump etc al. to distract from the ongoing criminal investigations into both his alleged tax and accounting fraud and his role in the attempted overthrow of the US govt. on Jan. 6, 2021 after tying up courts across the country with his entirely unfounded claims of election fraud.

I note that Trump is calling for execution here. He is also the source of the "worse than Watergate" quote. I remain grateful that I knew 6 years ago never to cast a ballot for Trump. I will never again vote Republican as long as it remains the party of Trump.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1331 on: February 17, 2022, 06:05:07 AM »
I spoke with many committed Republicans late in the day on Jan. 6 and on Jan. 7, 2021, and all of them regretted their Trump 2020 votes. Several said that they regretting their 2016 votes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1332 on: February 17, 2022, 07:08:16 AM »

Given that your claims are baseless and founded in partisan lies pushed by the Republican party to keep their supporters ignorant and angry, do you regret voting Republican?

Interested to hear your take on honesty regarding this matter.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1333 on: February 17, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »
I spoke with many committed Republicans late in the day on Jan. 6 and on Jan. 7, 2021, and all of them regretted their Trump 2020 votes. Several said that they regretting their 2016 votes.

they are all back on the train now BECAUSE HILLARY SPYZ!!!111!!!1!

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #1334 on: February 17, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »
“Given that your claims are baseless and founded in partisan lies pushed by the Republican party to keep their supporters ignorant and angry, do you regret voting Republican?“

You are saying the special counsel’s court filings are baseless?  Seriously?

By the way, citing Vanity Fair is about as ridiculous as citing The National Enquirer.

No, I don’t regret voting Republican.  And seeing how much worse off the US is under Biden I would like to think any rational person would regret voting for him.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1335 on: February 17, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »
“Given that your claims are baseless and founded in partisan lies pushed by the Republican party to keep their supporters ignorant and angry, do you regret voting Republican?“

By the way, citing Vanity Fair is about as ridiculous as citing The National Enquirer.

No, I don’t regret voting Republican.  And seeing how much worse off the US is under Biden I would like to think any rational person would regret voting for him.

Have you read the court filings? Can you cite where they say Hillary Clinton spied on Trump?

I think the suggestion was that your claims are baseless, not the special council's. It's no one's responsibility to research and refute your accusations until you've provided evidence to back them.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1336 on: February 17, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »

What about the special counsel's filings are worrying? Be specific, please, and quote from the filings.

This is what happens when one sees conservative outrage youtube/bitchute/parler videos and memes all the time.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1337 on: February 17, 2022, 11:36:49 AM »
Tell me more about why America is worse off with Biden. Anyone.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1338 on: February 17, 2022, 11:44:34 AM »

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/vanity-fair/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/national-enquirer/

Baseless false equivalencies hurt everyone.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #1339 on: February 17, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »

Inflation at a 40 year high, gasoline at multi-decade highs, natural gas (heating bills) up dramatically, violent crime up dramatically in major cities, a completely open southern border, Russia preparing to invade Ukraine.

Have you not noticed any of that?  Seriously?

Did I answer your question?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:55:08 PM by retiringearly »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1340 on: February 17, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »

No, I didn't say that the special counsel's court filings are baseless.

The claims that you made however ("Hillary Clinton spied on a sitting US President"), are baseless, partisan lies.  If you can provide quotes from the court filings that prove your statement, I'll be happy to withdraw my comment and apologize though.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1341 on: February 17, 2022, 02:06:39 PM »

Inflation at a 40 year high, gasoline at multi-decade highs, natural gas (heating bills) up dramatically, violent crime up dramatically in major cities, a completely open southern border, Russia preparing to invade Ukraine.

If only Biden had started building new semiconductor plants in 2017.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1342 on: February 17, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
@retiringearly

Have you read the court filings? Can you cite where they say Hillary Clinton spied on Trump?

What about the special counsel's filings are worrying? Be specific, please, and quote from the filings.

The claims that you made however ("Hillary Clinton spied on a sitting US President"), are baseless, partisan lies.  If you can provide quotes from the court filings that prove your statement, I'll be happy to withdraw my comment and apologize though.

?????

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #1343 on: February 17, 2022, 02:53:47 PM »
I'm not sure what 'gas at multi-decade highs' means, but if you mean that gas is higher in price now than it has been in decades I believe you are mistaken. I remember paying over $4/gal for gas in 2008, and oil spent some time at $140/barrel.  This chart shows that gas was higher in '08 and '11 through '14 than it is now.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/204740/retail-price-of-gasoline-in-the-united-states-since-1990/

Border patrol made more arrests at the border in the last fiscal than in any other recorded year.  So if 'most arrests ever' = 'completely open southern border,' I agree.

https://www.axios.com/border-patrol-migrant-arrest-biden-dhs-927fff54-7dfe-48d5-b14f-6dee57f17ec8.html

I'm not convinced Trump would have done much about Russia invading Ukraine.  Didn't he want to remove sanctions on Russia for its actions in Crimea?

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #1344 on: February 17, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »

What do semiconductor plants have to do with the price of gasoline?  And natural gas?  And inflation overall?  And our southern border being overrun by illegal immigants?  Please be specific.  Thanks!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1345 on: February 17, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
Quote from: retiringearly
Inflation at a 40 year high

True, but how does a president control/impact inflation?

gasoline at multi-decade highs

Poster above already debunked

natural gas (heating bills) up dramatically

Gonna need a source

violent crime up dramatically in major cities

Gonna need a source

a completely open southern border

Gonna need a source

Russia preparing to invade Ukraine.

Scary for sure, but I find it hard to believe Trump would be more effective in this situation.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1346 on: February 17, 2022, 03:20:53 PM »
I'm not sure what 'gas at multi-decade highs' means, but if you mean that gas is higher in price now than it has been in decades I believe you are mistaken. I remember paying over $4/gal for gas in 2008, and oil spent some time at $140/barrel.  This chart shows that gas was higher in '08 and '11 through '14 than it is now.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/204740/retail-price-of-gasoline-in-the-united-states-since-1990/

Border patrol made more arrests at the border in the last fiscal than in any other recorded year.  So if 'most arrests ever' = 'completely open southern border,' I agree.

https://www.axios.com/border-patrol-migrant-arrest-biden-dhs-927fff54-7dfe-48d5-b14f-6dee57f17ec8.html

I'm not convinced Trump would have done much about Russia invading Ukraine.  Didn't he want to remove sanctions on Russia for its actions in Crimea?

Further, inflation, petrol, and NG are at highs in the UK and Germany (and Canada!) too. Is Biden responsible for that?

(As an aside, petrol and NG are traded on world exchanges.)

Violent crime started increasing in 2020. This begs the question: Why didn't the former President do something about it then?

The problem with being in a (conservative) echo chamber is that it always looks grim. Every story is about Biden or the libs or trans people doing something bad for the country. The news stories are half-baked and come straight from the headlines -- no nuance is possible in this universe. Obama Biden is coming for your guns, Bible, and dog. When it doesn't happen, the pearl clutching will be forgotten and they'll move on to the next lib (but Soros will always be renting space in their heads).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1347 on: February 17, 2022, 03:31:39 PM »

What do semiconductor plants have to do with the price of gasoline?  And natural gas?  And inflation overall?  And our southern border being overrun by illegal immigants?  Please be specific.  Thanks!

I was too obscure.

Biden can't command TSMC to build semiconductor plants.

As he's not a Saudi Crown Prince, he doesn't have that much affect on gas or NG prices on the world market.

He can't insta-lower inflation in England, Canada, Germany, or in the US. It's also extremely unlikely that he caused worldwide inflation in the first place.

We are seeing increased violent crime, and it's a problem, but the former President didn't use his magic wand in 2020 to fix it either.

The border is not "completely open."

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #1348 on: February 17, 2022, 03:59:24 PM »

I was too obscure.

Biden can't command TSMC to build semiconductor plants.

As he's not a Saudi Crown Prince, he doesn't have that much affect on gas or NG prices on the world market.

He can't insta-lower inflation in England, Canada, Germany, or in the US. It's also extremely unlikely that he caused worldwide inflation in the first place.

We are seeing increased violent crime, and it's a problem, but the former President didn't use his magic wand in 2020 to fix it either.

The border is not "completely open."

You seem to have forgotten that Biden signed orders on his first day in office to kill oil & natural gas pipeline deals.  The USA was the largest oil producer in the world under Trump.  Sorry, that is a fact.  Sleepy Joe decided that was a bad thing.  And we are all paying the price for it.  The USA was THE largest provider of oil in the world under Trump.

The southern border is open.  And the best part?  When the illegal aliens cross the border the Federal government pays to fly them to other states.  Oh yes, that is happening.  (I hope I didn't offend you by using the legally correct term "illegal aliens").

And it is very interesting that violent crime is running rampant in cities that are under the control of woke district attorneys.  Take a look at LA, San Francisco, Chicago. New York, et al.    Why do you think that is? 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1349 on: February 17, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
And it is very interesting that violent crime is running rampant in cities that are under the control of woke district attorneys.

What does 'woke district attorney' mean?