Author Topic: Do I really need Whiskey Stones?  (Read 9725 times)

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
Do I really need Whiskey Stones?
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
I hear that no matter what I drink there are certain times that I wouldn't want to add ice. I get that. They say adding ice waters down the drink and changes the flavor. But, for me, it makes it smoother.

Did anyone used whiskey stones? Is there a need to give it try or just keep doing what I am doing?

SpeedReader

• Stubble
Re: Do I really need Whiskey Stones?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Nope, you really don't.  I bought some for DH one year as a Christmas gift.  Even after being in the freezer for days he said they just weren't cold enough.  Never used them again.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
I've received a couple sets as gifts and just don't use them. Any sort of whisky I'm drinking is going to be neat and I don't want it cold because that mutes the flavors. I tried using them in a cocktail that needed cooling, but they got a bit sticky and then I had to clean them. Ice is easier and colder.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
No. They're a cute gimmick, but they don't stay all that cold. Consider storing your alcohol in the freezer and it will be as cold as you want it to be.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
I've received a couple sets as gifts and just don't use them. Any sort of whisky I'm drinking is going to be neat and I don't want it cold because that mutes the flavors. I tried using them in a cocktail that needed cooling, but they got a bit sticky and then I had to clean them. Ice is easier and colder.
No. They're a cute gimmick, but they don't stay all that cold. Consider storing your alcohol in the freezer and it will be as cold as you want it to be.
Nope, you really don't.  I bought some for DH one year as a Christmas gift.  Even after being in the freezer for days he said they just weren't cold enough.  Never used them again.

Thanks for all the input. It probably wouldn't be a Mustachian move to pay $$$ for a few rocks anyway. :-)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »
I like a bit of ice in my whiskey usually.  As it melts it can really help flavor bloom. Now the copper dome that makes perfect spheres out of pure ice are pretty cool, and a fun mix of the concepts.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »
I like a bit of ice in my whiskey usually.  As it melts it can really help flavor bloom. Now the copper dome that makes perfect spheres out of pure ice are pretty cool, and a fun mix of the concepts.

A few cubes is all I need. I think I will stick with it. Why mess with the good thing right? :-)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 08:19:21 PM »
So - I don't like whiskey, so I can't weigh in on if ice/water is good or not.

But how are whiskey stones different than finding some clean rocks of appropriate size and sticking them in your freezer?

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:53 AM »
No. If you like the whiskey with ice, I would just stick to that. I've used stones before just because they were there, but I prefer neat or with ice.

You'll probably get them as a gift anyways.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 05:26:52 AM »
Got a set years ago, used them a few times but I have to admit liking the flavor better with one ice cube. Ice does smooth the taste down as it melts a bit.  As someone else said the stones dont seem to make the drink as cold.

Just checked and all the whiskey stones on Amazon are very well reviewed; I guess cutting granite into 3/4 inch cubes is not that hard.  Might get interested latter on to go read some reviews maybe we all are missing something. 

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 06:53:21 AM »
No. If you like the whiskey with ice, I would just stick to that. I've used stones before just because they were there, but I prefer neat or with ice.

You'll probably get them as a gift anyways.

I think there are plenty of us who prefer neat or with ice. So we shouldn't mess with the good thing.

I have been telling everyone not to get any gifts for us. Hopefully, I won't get any. We need to downsize and get rid of most our stuff if not all before FI. But there is a few years for that. :-)

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
Got a set years ago, used them a few times but I have to admit liking the flavor better with one ice cube. Ice does smooth the taste down as it melts a bit.  As someone else said the stones dont seem to make the drink as cold.

Just checked and all the whiskey stones on Amazon are very well reviewed; I guess cutting granite into 3/4 inch cubes is not that hard.  Might get interested latter on to go read some reviews maybe we all are missing something.

You got it - one or two cubes. May be one of my friends have them. I can try theirs. Until then, neat or with a cube of ice.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »
So - I don't like whiskey, so I can't weigh in on if ice/water is good or not.

But how are whiskey stones different than finding some clean rocks of appropriate size and sticking them in your freezer?

I think I am going to stick with ice for now. I don't want to pick up rocks from the side of the roads. :-)
May be someone else would try it and let us know. Any takers?

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
Put some grapes in the freezer and then in the whiskey. They will cool it down without melting.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 08:03:40 AM »
I bought them as a gift for my BF a few years ago, he used them a little while and decided he did not like them. Like others who posted he wants that one icecube. He also said the stones changed the taste of the whiskey. They are currently taking up space in my freezer.

Later on I got him (for free at a whiskey tasting) a mold that makes giant ice cubes, he loved that. The booze is cold, and there is minimal ice melt.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »

A few cubes is all I need. I think I will stick with it. Why mess with the good thing right? :-)
Right? Find just the right amount of ice, and enjoy!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
Put some grapes in the freezer and then in the whiskey. They will cool it down without melting.

When I  was growing up I had a relative who had some little plastic spheres filled with water- they would freeze solid to be placed in drinks, but not "melt". They were in ugly 90s colors, but they probably work as well or better than expensive whiskey stones, as they would absorb more heat energy per unit volume.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »
why does it have to be stones? why not a 1" stainless steel nut or some other dense ice cube sized object?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 09:36:29 AM »
why does it have to be stones? why not a 1" stainless steel nut or some other dense ice cube sized object?

amazon does have some metal versions.

heat capacity per gram is listed here
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-capacity-d_391.html
someone just needs to multiply those numbers by density to find the best heat absorption material per cubic inch.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »
My wife has a set of stainless steel whiskey stones. She pretty much never uses them...

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »

someone just needs to multiply those numbers by density to find the best heat absorption material per cubic inch.

lead?

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »

lead?

Mercury freezes if cold enough.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

lead?

Lead poisoning!!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »

lead?

Thankfully the job killing regulations prohibiting lead and mercury based whisky stones will soon be eliminated and we as a nation can climb out of this horrible economic mess we are in.  /sarcasm.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »

lead?

Thankfully the job killing regulations prohibiting lead and mercury based whisky stones will soon be eliminated and we as a nation can climb out of this horrible economic mess we are in.  /sarcasm.

We'll be taxing foreign whiskey stones as well.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »

lead?

We'll be taxing foreign whiskey Mexican tequila stones as well.

FTFY :-)

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »

lead?

Millions of people die every day with side effects possibly, partially indicative of lead and/or mercury poisoning!
This can be counteracted with hourly doses of organic red wine.
Let's make American grapes again!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »

^This.

If you're going to spend money on a whiskey-chilling solution, make it a mold for larger-than-standard ice cubes. Otherwise, your regularly-scheduled ice is fine.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »

lead?

Millions of people die every day with side effects possibly, partially indicative of lead and/or mercury poisoning!
This can be counteracted with hourly doses of organic red wine.
Let's make American grapes again!

That is awesome.
First, American grapes are already great. Secondly, wife and I have been making them great by consuming considerable amount of red wine. ;-)
We probably should be better Mustachians by cutting the consumption but, eh, we come to this world once. :-)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »

When I  was growing up I had a relative who had some little plastic spheres filled with water- they would freeze solid to be placed in drinks, but not "melt". They were in ugly 90s colors, but they probably work as well or better than expensive whiskey stones, as they would absorb more heat energy per unit volume.

I forgot about these until just now. I had some as a kid, they were brightly colored fish. That would be awesome in whiskey.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
I have yet to find a use for Whiskey Stones, as most have noted they never provide enough cooling to be noticeable.

In addition most scotch and bourbon you just don't drink chilled. You add a small amount of water to bring out the flavor and then you drink it at room temperature.

The only time I would generally want chilled whiskey is in a bourbon cocktail like a Manhattan. And in that case all of these drinks are stirred for a set time to chill them and then served without ice to avoid further dilution, while still being plenty cold to enjoy. You chill the glass to keep it cool longer.

Whiskey on the rocks is for cheap spirits or someone who doesn't like whiskey.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 06:50:06 PM »
I have yet to find a use for Whiskey Stones, as most have noted they never provide enough cooling to be noticeable.

In addition most scotch and bourbon you just don't drink chilled. You add a small amount of water to bring out the flavor and then you drink it at room temperature.

The only time I would generally want chilled whiskey is in a bourbon cocktail like a Manhattan. And in that case all of these drinks are stirred for a set time to chill them and then served without ice to avoid further dilution, while still being plenty cold to enjoy. You chill the glass to keep it cool longer.

I prefer it chilled, and with ice. Perhaps the truly expensive stuff is noticeably better warm, but I'm too frugal to explore this deeply.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
I love whiskey and hate watering it down so ice is out.  However, the chilling effect ice has does mute the flavour ever so slightly and sometimes, depending on the particular drink, that makes it taste better.

I'm also a massive Star Trek fan so my wife got me some Borg whiskey cubes.  I love them and find them the perfect solution.  Hollow steel cubes that have some sort of liquid in them.  I assume it's similar to that liquid you find in those plastic freezer blocks.  Whatever it is, these things come out of the freezer almost cold enough to burn your fingers and definitely chill the whiskey just as much as ice would.

Are they necessary or better than ice though?  Not if you enjoy ice in your whiskey.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »
Wow so much hate for the whiskey stones.  I have a set...They cost like ten dollars...And I use them all the time for whiskey and vodka.  Literally all I have to do is stick them in the freezer and then use them.  Afterwards I give them a quick rinse under the faucet and then stick them back in the freezer.  It ain't rocket science and they're basically free, so why not just give them a try and see if you like them?  I love a glass of Laphroaig and a nice cigar along with my stones. 

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
Why would you pay good $ for whiskey that taste good, the chill it so that you can't taste it?? Drink whiskey at room temperature.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
Lead poisoning!!

It's moderately difficult to get lead hot enough to become bioavailable.  I can't say I'd try it, but my general opinion is that lead whiskey stones, while annoying, probably wouldn't be be toxic.

Yup.  And "Ice Beer" is for people who won't pay enough for good beer.

Why would you pay good $ for whiskey that taste good, the chill it so that you can't taste it?? Drink whiskey at room temperature.

*sips his glass*  Yup.  Can't say I've felt the need to chill it.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
Probably because one persons definition of good and taste are different to another persons definitions.

Mostly I prefer whiskey neat but there are some whiskeys I find I like the taste of more when chilled.  Doesn't matter to me if someone else considers those whiskeys good or bad nor does it matter to me how they choose to drink it.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 10:43:04 PM »
Whiskey stones are interesting! Of course you don't need them. They only provide the convenience of a colder drink longer, while they don't do anything to change the quality of the drink, which is a benefit and a drawback.

Whiskey stones are usually soapstone, which is not going to allow whiskey through them or dissolve into it. They're non-porous and hold cold decently.

Putting either a splash of water or ice in your drink will always make it smoother for two reasons. One, it lowers the proof. Two, it makes it colder, and you taste that bite less when it's colder because your tongue is numb, and because alcohol has a very low boiling point compared to water (it will rise quickly if it's warm, affecting the aroma and flavor).

If you want to learn to appreciate whiskey, it's worth appreciating at more than one temperature. It is true that YOU can generally taste more when your tongue is warm, but it's not true that the whiskey expresses the same way. Different expressions come out at different temperatures, and the bite changes as well, but ice/water will always open up some of the whiskey's flavor, and many whiskey makers recommend seeing how theirs develop with a single cube. I always try it neat first to see what they put in the bottle, then will often see how water affects it.

Whiskey stones are most useful if you want whiskey cold like it's on the rocks but you don't want to drink a glass of barley water.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:01 AM »
Because it tastes better chilled?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:50 AM »
It tastes LESS chilled. If you don't like the taste why are you drinking it in the first place?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 04:21:14 AM »
It tastes LESS chilled. If you don't like the taste why are you drinking it in the first place?
Mmm... may depend upon the whiskey? But most of the stuff I drink is just perfectly yummy with a few half-melted cubes of ice. Just so much better all around. It's so amazing, for all the reasons mentioned above:

If you want to learn to appreciate whiskey, it's worth appreciating at more than one temperature. It is true that YOU can generally taste more when your tongue is warm, but it's not true that the whiskey expresses the same way. Different expressions come out at different temperatures, and the bite changes as well, but ice/water will always open up some of the whiskey's flavor, and many whiskey makers recommend seeing how theirs develop with a single cube. I always try it neat first to see what they put in the bottle, then will often see how water affects it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »
Last weekend I retested my stones (snicker...) with some good scotch; I could hardly tell the difference with them in vs room temperature neat.  I did not 100% nerd out and take temperature readings or attempt a blind taste test. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
How good was the Scotch?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »
Yes!  You need mine that someone clearly regifted and are now hogging up a shelf in my freezer. I don't drink whiskey and will never use these. Please let me know how I can share mine with you because you NEED them! 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
How good was the Scotch?

Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year Scotch - bit of a splurge for me, the bottom of the bottle tasted as good at the top :-).  In Virginia we only have state owned liquor stores so the variety at the higher end can be limited - you can special order but I have never looked into that.  Side note: Va will not get legal pot until there are corporate suppliers the state can work with because the state will want to control the pot market too and they wont want to deal with some mom/pop artisanal supplier.  We will only get the johnny walker/stolichnaya of pot. 

@blueHouse - I was thinking what the heck do I do with these useless stones?  Not worth selling - who would want used chunks of granite?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
@blueHouse - I was thinking what the heck do I do with these useless stones?  Not worth selling - who would want used chunks of granite?

You're right.  When I get home tonight, I'm going to dig a hole in my garden and bury them.  They came from the ground, and they're going back in.  And when I'm dead and gone and someone digs up my garden, they'll wonder what the hell they are and how they got there! 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »

You're right.  When I get home tonight, I'm going to dig a hole in my garden and bury them.  They came from the ground, and they're going back in.  And when I'm dead and gone and someone digs up my garden, they'll wonder what the hell they are and how they got there!

Almost as good would be to mail the stones a few at a time within prepaid envelopes back to your favorite junk mail sender with a polite note to remove you from the mailing list.  These senders have to pay the postage on what you send them and manually deal with these odd contents.

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
Science time. Nearly all of the cooling action from ice comes from the phase change (from solid to liquid). Converting one gram of ice to liquid sucks 333 Joules out of it's surrounding whiskey (cooling it). The heat capacity of soapstone is only a measly 1 Joule per gram per degree. That means throwing in a gram of cold soapstone only sucks 1 Joule of energy out of it's surrounding whiskey for each degree C it raises. (so a total of maybe 25 Joules per gram total as it raises in temperature from 0C to room temperature). That's less than 10% the cooling power of 1 gram of ice as it converts to water (not even counting the additional cooling you get as the cold water then warms up)

So all arguments about taste, watering down, etc are pretty inconsequential. The fact of the matter is that whiskey stones have practically no ability to actually do what it's supposed to do: Cool your whiskey (unless you just pour a teeny amount of whiskey over large whiskey stones), they are a marketing gimmick, the type of thing MMM hates.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »

Almost as good would be to mail the stones a few at a time within prepaid envelopes back to your favorite junk mail sender with a polite note to remove you from the mailing list.  These senders have to pay the postage on what you send them and manually deal with these odd contents.
Cubicle mates are wondering why I just snorted!  Thanks for the chuckle!

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
Science time. Nearly all of the cooling action from ice comes from the phase change (from solid to liquid). Converting one gram of ice to liquid sucks 333 Joules out of it's surrounding whiskey (cooling it). The heat capacity of soapstone is only a measly 1 Joule per gram per degree. That means throwing in a gram of cold soapstone only sucks 1 Joule of energy out of it's surrounding whiskey for each degree C it raises. (so a total of maybe 25 Joules per gram total as it raises in temperature from 0C to room temperature). That's less than 10% the cooling power of 1 gram of ice as it converts to water (not even counting the additional cooling you get as the cold water then warms up)

So all arguments about taste, watering down, etc are pretty inconsequential. The fact of the matter is that whiskey stones have practically no ability to actually do what it's supposed to do: Cool your whiskey (unless you just pour a teeny amount of whiskey over large whiskey stones), they are a marketing gimmick, the type of thing MMM hates.

Eh. If you're trying to cool a hot coffee or something with whiskey stones, yes, that's quite silly. If you're pouring four fingers of warm Canadian Club over three small whiskey stones, that's also silly. If you are trying to extend the chill of a chilled drink for 15 minutes without diluting it because that's how you like it, it's not utter madness.

Getting into that many details is not something MMM is behind either, but I wouldn't call it a silly marketing gimmick. Business in whiskey stones isn't exactly the new Ipod. Just don't buy them because you think whiskey experts do. More whiskey guys use 1 cube, or none and/or a few drops of water.