Author Topic: Cricket World Cup 2019  (Read 12941 times)

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cricket World Cup 2019
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2019, 07:13:17 AM »
I wonder what the odds against SA are? I've found the betting oddmakers are usually better than most commentators.

Best UK odds I can see are 1/14 on SA to be knocked out at the group stage (i.e you put on a bet £14, you get £15 if they get knocked out.)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »
I wonder what the odds against SA are? I've found the betting oddmakers are usually better than most commentators.

Best UK odds I can see are 1/14 on SA to be knocked out at the group stage (i.e you put on a bet £14, you get £15 if they get knocked out.)

Yeah I've just checked one of the betting sites here and the odds they're offering on SA being knocked out at the group stage is $1.05, and $13 for reaching the semi finals.

Impressive recovery from the Aussies in the WI match, from 79-5 to 288 all out. I think they can defend that. I didn't think Coulter-Nile had that in him.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »
Impressive recovery from the Aussies in the WI match, from 79-5 to 288 all out. I think they can defend that. I didn't think Coulter-Nile had that in him.

Yes, I think the Aussies are definitely favourites now.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2019, 03:30:57 PM »
Close in the end, but we got the win.

The Windies look like they will definitely cause a few problems over the coming games. Good to see them finally get their act together.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
Bad umpiring in the Oz-WI game. Wonder what would have happened if Chris Gayle was not out. He is unbelievably entertaining!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
Aus v India should be interesting. After the ODI series in India not so long ago, it could go either way.

SA vs WI tomorrow also will be interesting. If SA lose that it could be it for them.

Geez there's a lot of batting firepower in the England team.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2019, 03:20:05 AM »
Aus v India should be interesting. After the ODI series in India not so long ago, it could go either way.
Yes, this feels like the biggest match so far. I'd guess around 99% of the crowd at the Oval supporting India.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »
I'd guess around 99% of the crowd at the Oval supporting India.

Looks like any India game anywhere around the world is a home game for India. Just showed the stand, there were a couple of green and "gold" in a sea of blue. That also extends to TV. Here in the US, every advertisement on Willow is an Indian ad.

Those crazy Indians who travel the world to watch cricket! I'm in that list of insane people. This would have been my second world cup, if I could go :-( The first one was in the WI (2007?) where India was eliminated. I remember the stadium had about 80% of Indians.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:58:23 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2019, 05:03:54 AM »
Good start for India with both the openers scoring 50.

Good fielding by Australia, but not super impressed with their bowling. Zampa was really bad....

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2019, 05:05:48 AM »
Good start for India with both the openers scoring 50.

Good fielding by Australia, but not super impressed with their bowling. Zampa was really bad....
Kept pitching them short. These blokes had no trouble sending those balls to the boundary.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2019, 05:18:58 AM »
I'd guess around 99% of the crowd at the Oval supporting India.

Looks like any India game anywhere around the world is a home game for India. Just showed the stand, there were a couple of green and "gold" in a sea of blue.
Those are probably people wearing a Chennai Super Kings shirt with Dhoni written on the back. Judging by people on the tube, it seems like mostly British Indians. And I think we've already seen that English fans will be supporting whoever is playing Australia in any case.

Stoinis is too slow for the short-pitched stuff to work. Starc is bowling very well, as always.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2019, 05:27:46 AM »
Those are probably people wearing a Chennai Super Kings shirt with Dhoni written on the back.
Lol

Judging by people on the tube, it seems like mostly British Indians. And I think we've already seen that English fans will be supporting whoever is playing Australia in any case.
Naah, all the ethnic clothing looks like they are Indians who have traveled for the game.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2019, 07:25:02 AM »
Textbook innings by India. Beautifully done!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
It will need something special from the Aussies to win this one now. Maxwell was getting the ball to turn, will be interesting to see if the Indian spinners can do the same.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2019, 08:04:27 AM »
It will need something special from the Aussies to win this one now. Maxwell was getting the ball to turn, will be interesting to see if the Indian spinners can do the same.

Yeah, should be world record chase if the Aussies win it.

I think the Indian spinners are superior. They should get the ball to spin. Like the SA game, the Indian spinners got much more turn than the SAffers.

I guess our Aussie Mustachians have gone to sleep. Working day tomorrow.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »
Australia giving this a very good go - need 115 from the last 10 overs, which does not look impossible. India still strong favourites, of course.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
Great game. India was definitely the superior side and they deserved to win.

They batted, bowled and fielded better than Australia.

The next great game will be the England/India game.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »

That one is 21 days away - plenty of games before then. I imagine India v Pakistan at Old Trafford and England v Australia will be good too.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2019, 02:11:10 AM »

Yeah, should be world record chase if the Aussies win it.

I think the Indian spinners are superior. They should get the ball to spin. Like the SA game, the Indian spinners got much more turn than the SAffers.

I guess our Aussie Mustachians have gone to sleep. Working day tomorrow.

Yes did go to sleep, no not a working day - it was actually a public holiday today.

Personally I was more disappointed in our Women's Football team losing to Italy in the World Cup match. We played absolutely horrible in the second half.

From what I heard Australia were never in it, but Steve Smith batted well again. I saw the last couple of overs bowled by Stoinis, he did ok.

Bit hypocritical of the Indian crowd booing when their whole game plan at home tests is to doctor the pitches so they resemble the great sandy dusty deserts of mongolia. That does more damage to the balls then any sandpaper might do   ;)

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2019, 03:04:59 AM »
Bit hypocritical of the Indian crowd booing
Warner was widely viewed as the epitome of arrogant, cheating, win-at-all-costs bad sportsmanship by many cricket fans in England anyway, so when the sandpaper stuff and the rest of it came out, it just confirmed what they already thought about him. People with drugs bans (e.g. Shane Warne) or match fixing/spot fixing bans haven't generated this level of contempt.  It's a shame that Smith is caught up in it. I assume Justin Langer's appeal for people not to boo them is a double bluff. I think Warner enjoys being the villain.

Weather forecast for SA v WI today is not good, at best it will be a reduced overs game.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2019, 05:18:24 AM »
Warner was widely viewed as the epitome of arrogant, cheating, win-at-all-costs bad sportsmanship by many cricket fans in England anyway, so when the sandpaper stuff and the rest of it came out, it just confirmed what they already thought about him. People with drugs bans (e.g. Shane Warne) or match fixing/spot fixing bans haven't generated this level of contempt.  It's a shame that Smith is caught up in it. I assume Justin Langer's appeal for people not to boo them is a double bluff. I think Warner enjoys being the villain.

+1.

I did not want to say anything but have to respond to slurs about India fans and India. Smith and Warner were booed during every game of the WC, so why pick on the India fans. Smith and Warner did not get booed in India during the IPL! What Smith and Warner did in SA involved the whole team and most probably the management. It was not one off! I used to love the Australian teams of yesteryear, but the attitude of the Aussie teams in the last 10 years, win at any cost and vicious sledging made them a team that I dislike intensely. This is probably why they are being booed.

@marty998, why just mention that they get booed but not mention that Virat Kohli (while batting) walked up the boundary to ask the audience to stop booing Smith (fielding at the boundary) but to clap for him. https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2019/06/10/virat-kohli-shows-absolute-class-asks-indian-fans-stop-booing-steve-smith. Very hypocritical of the Aussie fans to pick on the Indian fans for booing and not mentioning Kohli's classy gesture.

Bit hypocritical of the Indian crowd booing when their whole game plan at home tests is to doctor the pitches so they resemble the great sandy dusty deserts of mongolia. That does more damage to the balls then any sandpaper might do   ;)
Wait a minute. You mean to say the host country cannot make pitches the way that will suit their teams? News to me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:07:33 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2019, 06:25:31 AM »

That one is 21 days away - plenty of games before then. I imagine India v Pakistan at Old Trafford and England v Australia will be good too.

You are right. India play NZ next. The Pakistani game should be fun also. I also rarely watch non-India games, pretty hard to put aside  8 hours when you are not supporting either team.

What I meant to say is that the England game is the one I will wake up at 5AM to watch from the beginning. The others can wait till 6:30 so my beauty sleep is not disturbed;-)

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:45 AM »
Weather forecast for the next few days is not looking too good.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
When is summer going to start there?

South Africa will be hoping they get back out there, they desperately need the points.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »
When is summer going to start there?

South Africa will be hoping they get back out there, they desperately need the points.

We already had summer in May - I've got a suntan to prove it :-)

I reckon South Africa will be glad to get the point.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2019, 09:52:27 AM »
Best sign in the stands after the India-Australia game ended.

Chutney beats Vegemite.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »

+1.

I did not want to say anything but have to respond to slurs about India fans and India. Smith and Warner were booed during every game of the WC, so why pick on the India fans. Smith and Warner did not get booed in India during the IPL! What Smith and Warner did in SA involved the whole team and most probably the management. It was not one off! I used to love the Australian teams of yesteryear, but the attitude of the Aussie teams in the last 10 years, win at any cost and vicious sledging made them a team that I dislike intensely. This is probably why they are being booed.

@marty998, why just mention that they get booed but not mention that Virat Kohli (while batting) walked up the boundary to ask the audience to stop booing Smith (fielding at the boundary) but to clap for him. https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2019/06/10/virat-kohli-shows-absolute-class-asks-indian-fans-stop-booing-steve-smith. Very hypocritical of the Aussie fans to pick on the Indian fans for booing and not mentioning Kohli's classy gesture.

Wait a minute. You mean to say the host country cannot make pitches the way that will suit their teams? News to me.

What Kohli did was the right thing to do and he was trying to stop your crowd from causing embarrassment to India. Australian crowds love to boo as well but when a visiting villain scores a 100 or takes 5 wickets they'll still get a standing ovation. Even the England crowd and the Barmy Army will acknowledge, but rarely will an Indian crowd do the same.

Now, no country receives as many admonishments from the ICC as India when it comes to preparing pitches rated by match officials as "poor". When games get abandoned because of pitch doctoring, it goes well beyond "making pitches that suit the home team".

As to vicious sledging, should I not mention Harbajan Singh and the monkey slur against Andrew Symonds? That is just the one that got the headlines. Please don't fall into the trap of believing India are innocent saints at all times.

Sorry, but there's no higher ground here to stand on for either side.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:23:12 PM by marty998 »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »
What Kohli did was the right thing to do and he was trying to stop your crowd from causing embarrassment to India.
Fan's of every nationality in every Australian match in the WC have boo'ed Smith and Warner. Fans dislike the systemic cheating introduced by Smith/Warner. They were calling a cheat a cheater. Nothing embarrassing there!

Australian crowds love to boo as well but when a visiting villain scores a 100 or takes 5 wickets they'll still get a standing ovation.

I am sure that the majority of Australian(or any other nationality) fans are decent and will give a standing ovation to visiting players for great plays.  That being said,  the recent racist incidents by fans against non-white players are in Australia. For example the India Boxing day match in 2018. Here is an Australian site since you might not believe an Indian one. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-fans-ejected-from-mcg-after-racist-taunts-during-boxing-day-test-20181229-p50op6.html

Even the England crowd and the Barmy Army will acknowledge, but rarely will an Indian crowd do the same.
Any proof of this or is it one of your made up statistics like the one on pitches?

Now, no country receives as many admonishments from the ICC as India when it comes to preparing pitches rated by match officials as "poor". When games get abandoned because of pitch doctoring, it goes well beyond "making pitches that suit the home team".

I call BS on this. Are you pulling statistics out of thin air?

Here are the list of pitches and ratings they got from the ICC web site sorted from most recent to the oldest (October 2017).

https://www.icc-cricket.com/about/cricket/rules-and-regulations/pitch-ratings
There are at least 5 Australian venues with Average rating before you find the first Indian one with an Average. The Indian pitches got Good or Very Good (top two ratings) for the Australia trip.
Melbourne had a Poor rating for the Boxing test against England, but there are no Indian pitches with a Poor rating.

As to vicious sledging, should I not mention Harbajan Singh and the monkey slur against Andrew Symonds? That is just the one that got the headlines. Please don't fall into the trap of believing India are innocent saints at all times.
Sorry, Harbhajan did not call Symonds a monkey. Harbhajan barely speaks English, he was cursing Symonds out in Hindi. He said, "Maaki ch**t" which means "your mothers c**t". "Maaki" sounds like "monkey".  And BTW, calling anyone a monkey is not racist in India and would be a pathetic sledge by an Indian. It is commonly used to describe a mischevious child. But the phrase he used is fighting words in India, and I do not condone it. Players need to play and stop sledging!

My apologies to the other members on this thread. I did not wish to disrupt this thread with this acrimonious discussion. I did not start this, but I refuse to lie down and take slurs against India.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:30:48 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2019, 04:22:34 AM »
Weather forecast for the next few days is not looking too good.

How does the weather look like in Nottingham for Thursday?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2019, 04:43:08 AM »
I just saw this clip of Sheldon Cottrell catch. This is definitely the best catch of the tournament till now.

https://youtu.be/IcBCm6bsKKI

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2019, 04:54:51 AM »
Thundery showers but some play should be possible as it's not forecast to rain all day. Same for Australia v Pakistan at Taunton tomorrow - it will probably rain, but not the whole day. Some places close to Taunton are due to get a month's worth of rain in the next day or two. Quite a lot of severe weather warnings elsewhere in the country.

Don't think there will be any play for Sri Lanka v Bangladesh today.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »
I just saw this clip of Sheldon Cottrell catch. This is definitely the best catch of the tournament till now.

Until now? You think there'll be more?

There's been some good ones - the ICC have a nice little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfBhucdjvE

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2019, 05:31:50 AM »
Thundery showers but some play should be possible as it's not forecast to rain all day. Same for Australia v Pakistan at Taunton tomorrow - it will probably rain, but not the whole day. Some places close to Taunton are due to get a month's worth of rain in the next day or two. Quite a lot of severe weather warnings elsewhere in the country.

Don't think there will be any play for Sri Lanka v Bangladesh today.

Thanks. Hope there will atleast be curtailed play and the game is not washed out.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2019, 05:34:26 AM »

Until now? You think there'll be more?

I can hope, can't I ;-)
Seriously, I believe that this will be the best catch of the tournament.
There's been some good ones - the ICC have a nice little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfBhucdjvE

Thanks, that was a good one. I saw the DeKock one. Almost looks like he has springs on his feet!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2019, 06:06:01 AM »

Here are the list of pitches and ratings they got from the ICC web site sorted from most recent to the oldest (October 2017).

There are at least 5 Australian venues with Average rating before you find the first Indian one with an Average. The Indian pitches got Good or Very Good (top two ratings) for the Australia trip.
Melbourne had a Poor rating for the Boxing test against England, but there are no Indian pitches with a Poor rating.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/cricket/indian-cricket-and-its-history-with-poor-pitches-pune-not-an-anomaly/story-Vly6l06FWnHVU27aldeWHJ_amp.html

The Hindustan times disagrees with you. Bizarrely the example this article is written on is based on a match where the attempted pitch doctoring backfired spectacularly against the home side.

As for the charge of “systemic” cheating by the Australians, please provide your evidence of that. Smith, Warner and Bancroft were banned for one match by the ICC if I recall correctly, in line with guidelines. The Australian administration were the ones to ban them for a year (9 months in the case of Bancroft), for the attempted coverup. No other administration has taken action like that against their players in that regard before, most certainly not the Indians when Tendulkar was caught and denied ball tampering.

In respect of Harbijan, no one believes that. He knew exactly what he was saying.

You can believe your players are saints, but they’re not. And no one expects them to be. Sports people at the top always push the boundaries. It last partly why they are good enough to get there in the first place.

That’s all I’m going to say.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2019, 06:13:56 AM »
What's the forecast for tomorrow? The Aussies are playing then so I'd be keen to see some cricket :)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2019, 06:17:18 AM »
LOL on the washouts.
Genius idea to have the WC in the English Summer.
Hoping the chances of rain diminish as the tourney progresses, otherwise CWC2019 will be known as the Washout Cup.
Can't predict English weather, being maritime and all that.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »

https://m.hindustantimes.com/cricket/indian-cricket-and-its-history-with-poor-pitches-pune-not-an-anomaly/story-Vly6l06FWnHVU27aldeWHJ_amp.html

The Hindustan times disagrees with you. Bizarrely the example this article is written on is based on a match where the attempted pitch doctoring backfired spectacularly against the home side.

Agree, that was a poor pitch. 

But you have still not proved your statement Now, no country receives as many admonishments from the ICC as India when it comes to preparing pitches rated by match officials as "poor". Still call this as BS.

As for the charge of “systemic” cheating by the Australians, please provide your evidence of that. Smith, Warner and Bancroft were banned for one match by the ICC if I recall correctly, in line with guidelines. The Australian administration were the ones to ban them for a year (9 months in the case of Bancroft), for the attempted coverup. No other administration has taken action like that against their players in that regard before, most certainly not the Indians when Tendulkar was caught and denied ball tampering.
Video evidence is there everywhere. When the captain/vice-captain and member(s?) of the team are proven to cheat then it is systemic. Note, this was not a  case of lone-wolf cheating, but a whole bunch of guys with the senior-most members of the team leading the cheating. I am not going to bring up the DRS case since there is no video proof.

That’s all I’m going to say.

Look, I did not start this. Go back and read your statements when you are calmer and ask yourself if there was a need to make those comments!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2019, 08:38:27 AM »
Wed June 12: Aus vs Pak, Taunton. Forecast: Occasional Rain
Thurs June 13: Ind vs NZ, Nottingham. Forecast: Rain
Fri June 14: Eng vs WI, Southampton. Forecast: Sun and clouds, occasional rain showers
Sun June 16: Ind vs Pak, Manchester. Forecast:Sun and clouds, occasional rain showers

Hopefully forecasts are wrong... punters betting on washouts are geniuses.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2019, 02:38:58 AM »
Fri June 14: Eng vs WI, Southampton. Forecast: Sun and clouds, occasional rain showers
Sun June 16: Ind vs Pak, Manchester. Forecast:Sun and clouds, occasional rain showers

Organisers are getting a fair bit of flak for not scheduling any reserve days. It's a cliche, but every game counts, and a few washouts can mean the difference between finishing 4th or 5th.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2019, 02:42:02 AM »

Organisers are getting a fair bit of flak for not scheduling any reserve days. It's a cliche, but every game counts, and a few washouts can mean the difference between finishing 4th or 5th.
Didn't help us in the Champions Trophy.

Given how high profile the India v Pakistan match is, I suspect that the calls for reserve days would grow louder if it's called off due to rain.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2019, 02:53:47 AM »

Yep, and weather is always going to be a factor in a cricket tournament here. This is fairly unusual though. Last June, South East England had 2mm of rain (and May was also dry), some places have had 100mm in a day this year. (The Metro newspaper in London has the front page headline "Monsoon Britain" - two months of rain in two days. Another paper has "Apocalpyse Wow" - two months rain in a day and more to come.)

I don't think any of the matches lost so far would have been saved by having the game at the same ground on the next day, so it would need either the reserve days to be scheduled a week or two after the original date, or to be able to move games a couple of hundred miles away. At least the everyone play everyone else round robin format mitigates things somewhat - if they had gone for smaller groups, it would be possible for a team to have all of their games wiped out.

I believe there were 800 000 people applied for tickets for India v Pakistan.

Good news is that it's not raining in Taunton, although judging by tv pictures of the spectators, it's cold.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2019, 05:05:19 AM »
The Pakistani bowlers are looking threatening but haven't taken any wickets.

Scratch that. Well batted by Finch, he looked scratchy early.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »
The Pakistani bowlers are looking threatening but haven't taken any wickets.

Fielding has been pretty poor though. Amir & Wahab have looked good, but some of the other bowlers have been pretty wayward.

Finch & Warner pretty much won the game for Australia already. Unless something goes wrong in the last few overs, they should get 350ish and that will be a winning total.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2019, 09:16:57 AM »
Unless something goes wrong in the last few overs, they should get 350ish and that will be a winning total.

Well that worked well. If the commentator's curse is still in operation, can I just say that Pakistan have absolutely no chance of getting to 308 ;-)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »

Didn't help us in the Champions Trophy.

Given how high profile the India v Pakistan match is, I suspect that the calls for reserve days would grow louder if it's called off due to rain.
A washout on Sunday and no reserve day will mean the biggest cricket market in the world will be massively disappointed. BCCI has already made the ICC their bitch, now expect some spicy screwing...
Getting my masala popcorn.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
Didn't expect the Aussie tail to fail, but Pak had hopes until they lost Hafeez and Babar. They don't have a strong middle-order.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2019, 06:12:19 AM »
anyone else have the feeling that rain delays and washouts are ruining the mojo and momentum of the tournament?

calls for mandatory indoor stadia in "rain-blessed" countries?

or make reserve days mandatory, and minimum 2 matches per day?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2019, 06:20:03 AM »
anyone else have the feeling that rain delays and washouts are ruining the mojo and momentum of the tournament?

calls for mandatory indoor stadia in "rain-blessed" countries?

or make reserve days mandatory, and minimum 2 matches per day?

+1

I think the reserve days idea could be easier to implement.

Getting countries to build indoor stadia would make the bean counters unhappy.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2019, 06:32:19 AM »
Doesn't help that all the grounds are within a few hundred kilometres of each other. Persistent rain has a much greater impact.

Just get the footy boots out and play in the rain.

And yeah, putting a roof on cricket grounds isn't going to happen. Sure, Marvel Stadium here has a roof, but it's main use is for Aussie Rules footy and it just happens to host some Big Bash matches. Cricket crowds alone wouldn't justify the expense for other grounds.

Didn't they try seeding clouds during the Beijing Olympics so that the event wasn't overly affected by rain?

Or more seriously, if this is a once-off rain event, then there's not much that can be done.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:42:06 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!