Author Topic: Cricket World Cup 2015  (Read 12541 times)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Cricket World Cup 2015
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
Who else here has been keeping up with the Cricket World Cup?

Anyone? :)

(total cricket nerd here) :D

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Cricket World Cup 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 11:06:35 PM »
I have, and I am SURE Marty998 has too!

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:53:40 PM »
Me!!!!!!!!!!
Black caps looking awesome!!!!!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 12:19:23 AM »
Currently listening to the Australia v Scotland match, the Aussies should win this pretty easily.

India seem to be struggling a bit at the moment in the match with Zimbabwe, which is a surprise considering how well they've gone this tournament.

Yeah, the Blackcaps have done really well, they're a force to be reckoned with.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 01:15:34 AM »
Currently listening to the Australia v Scotland match, the Aussies should win this pretty easily.

I saw a news report where they quoted a tweet to the effect that maybe Scotland should call themselves 'North England'!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 01:18:36 AM »
Maybe we should be calling ourselves West New Zealand

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:11:43 AM »

Well played!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 02:49:03 AM »
Not a lot of cricket at the moment...looks like a washout in Hobart.

C9 have put on Shrek 2 to keep us all occupied.

Aussies will be playing SAF at this rate in the quarters. I remember that match long long ago with Lance Klusener needing 9 off the last over. 4, 4, and then the ultimate calamity with Alan Donald and a truly chaotic run-out.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 03:22:41 AM »
Spoke too soon, Warner and Faulkner hit 40 off 2 overs to finish things off pretty quick just now.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 08:03:34 AM »
Spoke too soon, Warner and Faulkner hit 40 off 2 overs to finish things off pretty quick just now.

Nice stuff :)

The next two matches will be interesting as they ultimately decide the finals. The West Indies vs the UAE should be an easy win for the Windies (especially if Gayle fires with the bat), provided the weather holds.

What about the Pakistan v Ireland game though? Pakistan should be able to win, but Ireland did beat them in 2007.

lise

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »

<3

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
Like this you mean??

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 12:00:27 AM »
http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/match/cwc-2015/42

Interesting from an Aussie perspective as we'll essentially be playing the winner in the quarter finals. The loser will most likely get knocked out (unless they can remain in front of the Windies in NRR).

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 03:21:46 AM »
Like this you mean??
A bit more equitable than that - remember when there were East and West Pakistan - before the east became Bangladesh - sort of like that.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »
So the quarter finals are the following:

Sri Lanka v South Africa, Sydney, 18th of March
India v Bangladesh, Melbourne, 19th of March
Australia v Pakistan, Adelaide, 20th of March
New Zealand v West Indies, Wellington, 21st of March

What's everyone tipping?

South Africa and Sri Lanka is going to be a battle of the batsmen. Can Sangakkara make it five centuries in a row? Can de Villiers make a heap of runs in no time? Will South Africa continue their World Cup tradition and fail in the knockout games?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »
So the quarter finals are the following:

Sri Lanka v South Africa, Sydney, 18th of March
India v Bangladesh, Melbourne, 19th of March
Australia v Pakistan, Adelaide, 20th of March
New Zealand v West Indies, Wellington, 21st of March

What's everyone tipping?

South Africa and Sri Lanka is going to be a battle of the batsmen. Can Sangakkara make it five centuries in a row? Can de Villiers make a heap of runs in no time? Will South Africa continue their World Cup tradition and fail in the knockout games?

Here are my picks ...

India will win against Bangladesh (With a name like Cowboy&Indian,  you expect me to pick Bangladesh? Go India).

New Zealand will beat West Indies. New Zealand is on a roll and WI just made it into the quarters by the skin of their teeth.

South Africa are famous as chokers, so I think Sri Lanka will win. Also, de Villiers seems to be the only South African playing ...

I don't know whom to pick for Australia vs Pakistan. It is home turf for Australia, but Pakistan seems to be on a roll lately. Also, this Australian team is nowhere as good as the guys from the Ponting/Gilchirst era. But as an Indian, I have to pick Australia.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:07:45 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »

Here are my picks ...

India will win against Bangladesh (With a name like Cowboy&Indian,  you expect me to pick Bangladesh? Go India).

New Zealand will beat West Indies. New Zealand is on a roll and WI just made it into the quarters by the skin of their teeth.

South Africa are famous as chokers, so I think Sri Lanka will win. Also, de Villiers seems to be the only South African playing ...

I don't know whom to pick for Australia vs Pakistan. It is home turf for Australia, but Pakistan seems to be on a roll lately. Also, this Australian team is nowhere as good as the guys from the Ponting/Gilchirst era. But as an Indian, I have to pick Australia.

I agree on India v Bangladesh, Bangladesh have done well (including a rather close match v NZ), but India should win that.

The Blackcaps should beat the West Indies, although who knows if Chris Gayle fires up, he's already scored a double century this WC.

I'm not sure about the SA vs Sri Lanka match. Probably Sri Lanka, but they're carrying a few injuries, so maybe South Africa will actually win a WC final :)

Unsurprisingly, as an Aussie, I think Australia have a pretty good chance at that match. Pakistan have only scored above 300 once in this World Cup (against UAE), and losing Irfan will hurt them with the ball, especially at Adelaide. Australia have better batting depth (especially when you consider Haddin is at 8 and Johnson (at 9) can bat) and Starc has been bowling brilliantly. Although if Pakistan gets a few early wickets, Australia could struggle to post a score. I'm not sure how some of the mid order bats (ie: Maxwell) would go if it's 40/3 after 10. If Pakistan win though, an India v Pakistan semi final would be HUGE.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 04:50:24 AM »

I'm not sure about the SA vs Sri Lanka match. Probably Sri Lanka, but they're carrying a few injuries, so maybe South Africa will actually win a WC final :)

Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to collapse today?

Hopefully we see a contest soon. Apart from the Aus/NZ game, and England being dumped by Bangladesh I can't think of anything worth remembering from this tournament (maybe Southee's 7 against England too).

Pakistan's top bowler has gone home with a fractured pelvis (god knows how you do that playing cricket). Aussies will hit them into the top tiers at Adelaide.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 06:32:44 AM »
The Blackcaps should beat the West Indies, although who knows if Chris Gayle fires up, he's already scored a double century this WC.

Unsurprisingly, as an Aussie, I think Australia have a pretty good chance at that match. Pakistan have only scored above 300 once in this World Cup (against UAE), and losing Irfan will hurt them with the ball, especially at Adelaide. Australia have better batting depth (especially when you consider Haddin is at 8 and Johnson (at 9) can bat) and Starc has been bowling brilliantly. Although if Pakistan gets a few early wickets, Australia could struggle to post a score. I'm not sure how some of the mid order bats (ie: Maxwell) would go if it's 40/3 after 10. If Pakistan win though, an India v Pakistan semi final would be HUGE.
I think the Blackcaps will dominate WI. In the last match, they were not ready to run for singles, but preferred boundaries etc., so I have my doubts about the fitness of the whole team.It is so sad seeing WI, the most dominant team in the world when I was a kid (Richards and their pace bowlers), come down to this level.

De Villiers has an interview on espncricinfo.com and says "We will not choke this time". Tells me that SA has choking on their mind.

I think an Australia/India semi would be great. Seeing the sea of  blue t-shirts in the stands in one of the games (I think they said 80% were Indian fans), I wonder who will have home field advantage ?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »
South Africans are not chokers!

Decisive win by SA.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 04:23:21 AM »

Decisive win by SA.

Great effort by South Africa (and India yesterday too).

I'm currently listening to the Australia v Pakistan match, and it was pretty tight for a while, but a couple of dropped catches by the Pakistanis and good batting by Watson, Smith and Maxwell seem to be tipping this one towards the Aussies.

Wahab Riaz is bowling brilliantly though! 150km/h bouncers would be outright scary to face.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »

I'm currently listening to the Australia v Pakistan match, and it was pretty tight for a while, but a couple of dropped catches by the Pakistanis and good batting by Watson, Smith and Maxwell seem to be tipping this one towards the Aussies.

Wahab Riaz is bowling brilliantly though! 150km/h bouncers would be outright scary to face.

Looks like one semi is Australia/India. Looking forward to it!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »

Looks like one semi is Australia/India. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, so am I, should ne a good match.

I think the next one will be New Zealand v South Africa. That innings by Martin Guptill...holy shit.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 02:15:40 AM »
NZ vs India for the final?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »
NZ vs India for the final?

Naah, I think it will New Zealand and W. New Zealand ;-)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
I think we'll see. If De Villiers stays in it could be SA going through.

As far as Australia v India goes, I'm leaning Australia as India have been struggling against Australia here, they couldn't beat a drum through the Tests and Tri-Series earlier in the summer.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »
India and Australia have completely different ground conditions, so we usually win here and lose there. South Africa are looking pretty good. If we have an India vs South Africa final the motels and airlines will really be rubbing their hands!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »
Here we go. Revised D/L target of 298 off 43 overs for NZ to win!

McCullum and Guptill to do it easy

rpr

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:14 AM »
McCullum's bat's been blazing through these early overs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rpr

Cricket World Cup 2015
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:22 AM »
What a match! The best of the WC so far. Amazing. The Black Caps squeeze past SA.

From Cricinfo commentary
11pm Finally a beauty at the World Cup. Such raw emption after such a great show of skill, audacity, humanly mistakes
What a finish. Elliott has shown nerves of steel. South Africans are on the ground. Morkel, who gave it his all with the ball. Du Plessis, who weathered the storm with the bat, and ran every ball down in the field. They are weeping. Even Steyn. What emotion. Jubilation for New Zealand. Fireworks in the air. Tears at the ground. Sport at its best. Two immensely likeable teams. They have left it all on the field of play. Elliott you beauty. Came into the side at the last moment. Has held his nerve to win it for them. The ghost of 1992 lays exorcised in front of 45000 people. Fireworks in the rest of Auckland too
Steyn to Elliott, SIX, no he doesn't. He hits this over long-on for six. Lets out an almighty roar. All 45000 roar with him. Steyn has bowled length. Why length at this time? Surely you would expect a yorker or a bouncer. Elliott - South African by birth - goes deep into the crease, and lofts this over wide long-in for surely the most important hit he has ever hit in his life. Why would you bowl length, Dale? 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:05:15 AM by rpr »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 04:20:29 AM »
Yes, I was on the edge of my seat. it was so close!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 04:51:35 AM »
I have no fingernails left.

Holy shit what a match. Memories of 1999 all over again. SAF just can't hold it together.

All together now....1, 2, 3....CHOKE!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 05:04:26 AM »
I have no fingernails left.

Holy shit what a match. Memories of 1999 all over again. SAF just can't hold it together.

All together now....1, 2, 3....CHOKE!

A bit harsh! They fought really well throughout the whole match, I reckon.

Yeah that game was amazing, so close! I was glued to the radio listening to it :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 05:09:03 AM »
Radio? It was on GEM on channel 90....

Yeah, bit harsh. But they still choked....dropped catches, missed run-outs, bad field placings, bowlers getting tonked at inopportune times.... plenty of chances to win it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
Radio? It was on GEM on channel 90....

Yeah, bit harsh. But they still choked....dropped catches, missed run-outs, bad field placings, bowlers getting tonked at inopportune times.... plenty of chances to win it.

I'd need a telly to get GEM :)

That missed opportunity in the second last over cost them I reckon.

rpr

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 02:22:29 AM »
Is there hope for India after the huge 328 posted by the Aussies?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:18 AM »
Kohli out. Gotta get a couple more then yeah, no hope.

rpr

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 03:11:52 AM »
Rohit gone.  I don't think they'll even get to 200.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 03:35:01 AM »
raining wickets....Raina gonski.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 03:49:35 AM »
They are consistently not making enough runs.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 04:05:18 AM »
The Indian side need Dhoni and Rahane to get a big partnership going. I believe Jadeja and Ashwin can bat, but they'd struggle to get another 180 runs.

Great knock by Smith (and Finch too). I'd love to see Johnson get another couple of wickets :)

Go Aussies!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 05:10:00 AM »
Take it away Bill Lawry...

"Gooooone! Got him! Can you believe it! Dhoni takes a suicidal run and is brilliantly run out. India in all sorts now, its 231 for 7."

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »
All over! Bring on the Kiwis.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 05:30:37 AM »
Well the SA NZ match was good.

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »
Yes, especially the last over, cos right until that point, I though SA had it sorted.
It was a very tense last half hour.
There will be a lot of haggard looking people at work on Monday, game doesn't start here til four in the afternoon.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
Looking forward to the match, Go Aussies! :)

(although buying a ticket was probably unmustachian)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
Looking forward to the match, Go Aussies! :)

(although buying a ticket was probably unmustachian)
MMM doesn't do queues - can't barrack for a team - probably doesn't even know about the world cup - possibly never played cricket - look at what he misses!

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »
Got him! 1 for 1, first over. Game on.

kiwibeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • getting there......
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:58 PM »
45-3.
I can't watch, I'm going to the beach.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 11:18:06 PM »
Got him! 1 for 1, first over. Game on.

Starc'a bowling is aomething else. Looking good for the Aussies so far :)