Author Topic: Climbing Everest..lines?!  (Read 3810 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Climbing Everest..lines?!
« on: May 28, 2019, 06:53:47 AM »
I avoid the grocery store at peak hours so I don't have to wait in line.  I will skip a resturaunt if the parking lot is crowded.  All the while there are mother fuckers dying while waiting in line to get to the top of Mt Everest.

I've heard stories about how littered the base camps are.  I've listen to podcasts with rescue workers on Mt Everest who go out and save people.  I didn't realize it was so crowded that its nut's to butt's all the way up.  It just sounds awful.  It's almost a sketch out of family guy.  One of the most remote places on earth and there are people waiting in a line.

Humans are definitly a wierd breed.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
Re: Climbing Everest..lines?!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
If ever there was a metaphor for too damn many people on the planet, this is it. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »
If ever there was a metaphor for too damn many people on the planet, this is it.

This was my exact reaction, too.

FFS.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »

I'm not sure it's a metaphor for too many people on the planet - I think it's a gross reflection of too many MoFos with too much money and not enough 'fulfillment' in their daily lives.  It's an offshoot of unbridled affluence and comfort.  As i recall, an attempt at Everest typically costs $50k-100k and over a month of travel and waiting at base camp.  Per trip. A single attempt uses an insane amount of resources, particularly if live in the west (e.g. US, Europe).  It's about the least mustachian activity one can do.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 07:44:33 AM »

and over tourism.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 07:47:14 AM »
I don't entirely get the appeal of climbing Everest at this point in time.  Like, I get the appeal when nobody had ever climbed it and you wanted to be the first dude who sherpas would carry to the top.  I get the appeal when only one or two people had ever climbed it.  But now that 4000 people have made the summit and the climbing is a giant commercial thing . . . I don't really understand the motivation.  Is it just for the selfies and facebook posts?

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 07:48:27 AM »

I'm not sure it's a metaphor for too many people on the planet - I think it's a gross reflection of too many MoFos with too much money and not enough 'fulfillment' in their daily lives.  It's an offshoot of unbridled affluence and comfort.  As i recall, an attempt at Everest typically costs $50k-100k and over a month of travel and waiting at base camp.  Per trip. A single attempt uses an insane amount of resources, particularly if live in the west (e.g. US, Europe).  It's about the least mustachian activity one can do.

yes, yes and yes.  If you need to climb Everest to be "interesting" you are already losing because there is something missing in your every day life.  I feel this way for most people who travel for leisure now as well. 

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:58:04 AM »
I don't entirely get the appeal of climbing Everest at this point in time.  Like, I get the appeal when nobody had ever climbed it and you wanted to be the first dude who sherpas would carry to the top.  I get the appeal when only one or two people had ever climbed it.  But now that 4000 people have made the summit and the climbing is a giant commercial thing . . . I don't really understand the motivation.  Is it just for the selfies and facebook posts?

I don't get it either. I do a lot of playing outside, but on the much cheaper end of the spectrum. I'm so bored of trails, walking up a mountain then back down. I don't know what the appeal of Everest is anymore when so many have summited it. It's amazing how 'remote' of an area you can find if you go a mile further than most people go into the mountains, or just a bit off a trail and find your own route.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »

I'm with you.  There's plenty of great adventure to be had in my own state and country where I won't see another person for miles.  Not as prestigous as Everest, but I did hike the tallest point in MN, a towering 2300 ft above sea level, and I didn't run into anyone on the trail.

I'm not sure it's just for the vanity of it, but I'm sure it plays a big part for why some people do it.  The commercial side is what allows it to be so popular.  If you had to show up and try to arrange all of the logistics from the locals (like Hillary had to do to some extent) there would be a lot less people.  The commercial side allows for someone to essential fly in, have all their gear and food handled, then they just have to hike (Not to say this part is easy).  Along with the fact that the locals depend on this tourism, it will lead to overcrowding as we are seeing.

Maybe we're at peak Everest.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »

Maybe we're at peak Everest.

I see what you did there.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »
I think it's the same idiocy that has so many people falling off the Grand Canyon this year, and other places, as they all look for the perfect selfie. Social media has really done a number on some people's brains to the point where they've lost all sense. It's this, "I have to do this super hard/awesome thing and post it for people to see in order to validate my self worth." Sad, really.

There was an article this morning on NPR about how the national parks are being inundated with the Insta-crowd. These people don't even care about the views or the park itself, they're just there for the selfie to check it off their list, get the likes, and move on. https://www.npr.org/2019/05/28/726658317/instagramming-crowds-pack-national-parks

The same thing is happening on Everest, just on a deadlier scale.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »
I used to read a lot of mountaineering books 20 years ago. Even then there were complaints about the mountain being too crowded and experienced mountaineers spending more time doing rescues than summit attempts.

But the photo that was recently tweeted of the summit queue, I just don't know why anyone would want to do that. It's a longer line than a ride at Disney World.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »
I used to read a lot of mountaineering books 20 years ago. Even then there were complaints about the mountain being too crowded and experienced mountaineers spending more time doing rescues than summit attempts.

But the photo that was recently tweeted of the summit queue, I just don't know why anyone would want to do that. It's a longer line than a ride at Disney World.

IIRC Krakauer's Into Thin Air came out over 20 years ago, and he spent quite a bit of the book describing how choked climbing routes and sub-par climbers were partially to blame for the 15 people who died that season (1996), plus the accumulation of trash.  As I understand it, since then the number of people who have attempted to summit has grown exponentially, and more people have attempted it in the last decade than in the previous nine (when Mallory & Co first made serious expeditions to summit).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
I'm not sure how much of it is the "selfie" crowd (a lot of people who have died this year in their 50s and 60s).

But .. adrenaline junkies.  I just don't get the adrenaline junkie thing - not my thing.  I don't like heights, I'm not gonna jump out of a plane or go bungee jumping.  Just...no.

So with more people on the earth I think Everest just seems more accessible to all those adrenaline junkie adventurer types.

I mean...I like IG and I've been following the Pacific Crest Trail for about 2 years now.  The sheer increase in numbers of the number of thru-hikers in the last 10 years is staggering.  And it's great that people like to go outdoors and all, but think about the effects on the trail of thousands of people hiking, climbing, etc.  Makes you think, really.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
It's funny how overtourism works.  Places like Mt. Everest can't handle the crowds.  Meanwhile you can hike 3 miles from the road in THE most visited US National Park (Smokies), and nearly have the trail to yourself.  As more people have more time and resources to travel everybody is still trying to pack themselves into just a few specific spots.  Machu Picchu is being physically damaged by the crowds even though Peru is covered in Pre-Columbian ruins that are almost never visited by non-locals. 

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
IIRC Krakauer's Into Thin Air came out over 20 years ago, and he spent quite a bit of the book describing how choked climbing routes and sub-par climbers were partially to blame for the 15 people who died that season (1996), plus the accumulation of trash.  As I understand it, since then the number of people who have attempted to summit has grown exponentially, and more people have attempted it in the last decade than in the previous nine (when Mallory & Co first made serious expeditions to summit).

I read "Into Thin Air" and "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev when they came out.  Boukreev was portrayed as a villian by Krakauer, so there was some score settling.   For his part, Boukreev saved several climbers almost single-handedly.   

There was a combination of mistakes, but in addition to what you mentioned Krakauer indicated that the guide companies felt financial pressure to get their clients to the top.   That lead to poor decision making and taking unnecessary risks. 

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
Uhhhh, because even if one person in a million wants to climb everest then with current population that's like 7000 ppl a year.  And given the window to summit can sometimes be only a couple days a year due to the jet stream.... Even a mustachian can do that math. And if you can't understand the drive of someone to summit the tallest place on the planet then it's over your head. Want to help with the overcrowding problem?   Quit pooping out so many kids. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
Uhhhh, because even if one person in a million wants to climb everest then with current population that's like 7000 ppl a year.  And given the window to summit can sometimes be only a couple days a year due to the jet stream.... Even a mustachian can do that math. And if you can't understand the drive of someone to summit the tallest place on the planet then it's over your head. Want to help with the overcrowding problem?   Quit pooping out so many kids.

I used to understand the drive of Everest. (And man, I guess it's been well more than 20 years on the mountaineering obsession, since it was pre Into Thin Air). But my understanding of the "lines" described in that book we're NOTHING like the lines shown in photographs today.

If you want a mountaineering achievement, climb K2.
Everest seems to be nothing more than a tourist destination for the uber-rich.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 06:47:57 AM »

I get it.  Somewhere in me I have the drive to sail around the world.  So I learned to sail, spent a few weeks living on a boat in the carribbean.  Now I sail regularly in the summer.  Still a ways off before I make the jump, but would I do it if I had to sail single file in a line across an ocean?  No.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 07:48:13 AM »

Is it true that there is a concrete sidewalk to the top now? /s

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 08:08:54 AM »

Is it true that there is a concrete sidewalk to the top now? /s

Makes it easier for the sherpas to carry all your stuff.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »
Climbing Everest entails a massive financial, physical and logistical sacrifice. I don't think I'd be blaming people for wanting to experience one of the literal extreme on Earth. There are thrill seekers out there and see of them happen to be rich. So be it. It's not something I would criticise others for, unless they're grossly unprepared, in which case the mountain will unfortunately do the criticising all by itself.

I really don't see the need to focus on a niche extreme hobby that, in the grand scheme of things, does little harm and in fact sustains an entire region's economy.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
I really don't see the need to focus on a niche extreme hobby that, in the grand scheme of things, does little harm and in fact sustains an entire region's economy.

Our focus on it now, is because it is not as niche as it once was, and its popularity is leading to fatal consequences.

I'm fine with people climbing Everest, my opinion is that it's not as cool as it once was because of how much it's been climbed.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 11:54:06 AM »
World Populace Actually Fine With Rich People Dying On Mount Everest

Once again, The Onion gets it right on the nose.

Where's the sympathy? These people spent tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to do a personally dangerous and environmentally hazardous thing, to get bragging rights. The bragging rights exist BECAUSE people die in the attempt. While any death is a tragedy, people dying in this endeavor is a feature, not a bug. 

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
Fixed ropes, sherpas, oxygen tanks, waiting in line to summit, leaving garbage all over the mountain...seems ridiculous. From what I've read, Everest isn't a particularly interesting/technical ascent, a couple of tricky spots but mostly just a long boring slog to the top and a lot of logistics. How many of these folks are only doing it for bragging rights, to belong to an elite group, something to put on their corporate bio and/or to weave into every conversation?

IMO Nepal should require climbers to get permits and to summit X number of other major Nepalese peaks before becoming eligible for an Everest permit. Would spread the demand around and ensure that only those with enough experience attempt Everest. Too many people with too little experience on the mountain.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:29:29 PM by FINate »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »

Where's the sympathy? These people spent tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars to do a personally dangerous and environmentally hazardous thing, to get bragging rights. The bragging rights exist BECAUSE people die in the attempt. While any death is a tragedy, people dying in this endeavor is a feature, not a bug.

Maybe they could install an escalator that takes you to the top, but randomly shoot some of the people riding the escalator then?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
Climbing Everest entails a massive financial, physical and logistical sacrifice. I don't think I'd be blaming people for wanting to experience one of the literal extreme on Earth. There are thrill seekers out there and see of them happen to be rich. So be it. It's not something I would criticise others for, unless they're grossly unprepared, in which case the mountain will unfortunately do the criticising all by itself.

I think it would be awesome to say you've been to the highest point on earth.  If I met someone I would love to talk to them about the experience.  The crowd aspect of it makes it entirely uninteresting to me.  Outside of the fact that I am not in physical condition to even attempt.

plus there are other routes up via China/Tibet that are much less crowded. Part of the problem is that Nepal issues to many permits. If they go back to issuing a fewer number like previously there will be less people who can climb via that route. But there is big money in permits (approx $11k/climber) and all the other income that is generated by climbers to the local economy.

Interesting.  I didn't realize there are other pathways up.  Does China not issue as many permits?  Or is the route just not as popular?  I've heard it can be a hassle just to get in Tibet.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 01:29:16 PM »

Maybe they could install an escalator that takes you to the top, but randomly shoot some of the people riding the escalator then?

I'm sure the same has been said about people who ride their bikes for fun (except substitute 'cars' for 'escalator'). What those people don't understand is that fulfilling experiences oftentimes involve hardship and risk.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »

I'm sure the same has been said about people who ride their bikes for fun (except substitute 'cars' for 'escalator'). What those people don't understand is that fulfilling experiences oftentimes involve hardship and risk.

If you're proposing that we randomly shoot people for driving cars . . . I'm on board!  Finally a climate change initiative that can unite both the environmentalists and the gun-totin' southern US.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »

If you're proposing that we randomly shoot people for driving cars . . . I'm on board!  Finally a climate change initiative that can unite both the environmentalists and the gun-totin' southern US.

Perhaps hardship in the form of appropriately high taxes, and as for risk, it's already there but unseen, so we just need to label cars with mangled bodies like they do on cigarette packs sold in some countries.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
IMO Nepal should require climbers to get permits and to summit X number of other major Nepalese peaks before becoming eligible for an Everest permit. Would spread the demand around and ensure that only those with enough experience attempt Everest. Too many people with too little experience on the mountain.

Apparently China already requires you to summit another >8000m peak before doing Everest.  It seems like a good idea to me. 

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/why-china-and-nepal-are-battling-over-mt-everest/

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 11:02:46 AM »
Couple videos of the traffic jams and a good write up here: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/new-video-shows-climbers-crushed-against-ice-trail-to-reach-summit/news-story/c23731b7f4e762f4ccd086e47dd63e6a

Seems pretty terrible to stand around knowing your body is dying from oxygen deprivation, but holy crap the view!

The article also mentioned a contributing factor I hadn't heard elsewhere, that weather forecasting technology has also greatly improved over the last couple decades, reducing the guesswork involved in when to make an attempt at the summit which compresses the crowds even more into a few prime days.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »

I'd like to propose we randomly shoot people who drive giant power boats back and forth on the lake all weekend.   There's a good climate change initiative...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »

I'd like to propose we randomly shoot people who drive giant power boats back and forth on the lake all weekend.   There's a good climate change initiative...

And jet skiers. Excellent.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:07:16 PM by wenchsenior »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
I avoid the grocery store at peak hours so I don't have to wait in line.  I will skip a resturaunt if the parking lot is crowded.  All the while there are mother fuckers dying while waiting in line to get to the top of Mt Everest.

I've heard stories about how littered the base camps are.  I've listen to podcasts with rescue workers on Mt Everest who go out and save people.  I didn't realize it was so crowded that its nut's to butt's all the way up.  It just sounds awful.  It's almost a sketch out of family guy.  One of the most remote places on earth and there are people waiting in a line.

Humans are definitly a wierd breed.

I heard that there are so many climbers that want to scale Everest that cut-rate guiding services are available.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:14:03 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 08:06:22 PM »

That's funny!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
I find it sad.