Author Topic: Can we talk about dogs?  (Read 18489 times)

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
Can we talk about dogs?
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
Yes, I know owning a pet is technically not Mustachian.  However, my personal values system means that if giving a shelter dog a good home results in some unnecessary spending, its worth it.

However, I'm not positive we would be a good home.  I just read "Cesar's Way" and am now reading "The Other End of the Leash."  I'm taking both books very seriously.  If we got a dog -- which would probably be a 1-3 year old GSD or GSD mix from a shelter -- we would definitely commit to walking it 1.5-2 hours a day and would take its training seriously.  Most of the reason I want a dog is so I can take it on walks and hikes and have the challenge of training and being the pack master. 

But, at the end of the day, we're still out of the house from 7am to 4pm most of the year (husband is a teacher, so he does have summers at home).  Even with a nice long walk in the morning that seems like a long time for a dog to be alone in the house (and potentially crated).  I may be able to telework one day a week, but still.

I know people will suggest hiring a dog walker, but while I'm comfortable buying dog food and paying for vet bills and even the occasional kennel stay, paying for a dog walker just seems too un-mustachian for me, at least at this point in our lives. 

So is that just too much time away from the home to be a good dog owner?  Growing up we did that to our Golden but....my family wasn't really great with her, in retrospect.  She was a nice dog but we were lazy and barely walked her. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Can we talk about dogs?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
If you're up to it you might look into getting two dogs so they can keep eachother company during the day as well.

This.

Dogs really want a pack.  Even if you're "the pack leader" -- they still want doggie companionship.  In my experience, 2 dogs are easier to keep than one.  I've had as many as 4 -- and that was too many for me to handle effectively in a city setting.  Wifey grew up in the country and had a huge pack of "volunteer walkups" (i.e.... someone dumped them and they moved in on their own.)

If you have a house/yard: a dog door makes a huge difference as well.  Even if you exercise them, they do enjoy outside time -- even in the gawd-awful hottest summers.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
Even if the sitation isn't ideal, a home with loving, caring doggie parents is MUCH MUCH better than them being cooped at a shelter...or the terrible result if they aren't adopted.  Especially if you are adopting an older dog, which are more difficult to place. 

I don't think it sounds unreasonable at all.  You seem like you will provide an excellent home for a dog!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:06 AM »
I think the only really "mustachian" thing is saving a huge chunk of your income. We all have things that we spend money on that aren't technically necessary (MMM talks about the luxury items in his life regularly.) I have a dog that I adopted from a rescue group in Anchorage. It's like any luxury item you want; ask yourself if it is really worth it (when it comes to dogs the answer for me is an emphatic "yes") and find a way to do it with minimal cost.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
Our adopted dog (a Beagle) is at home while we are at work.  She gets regular, lengthy walks in the morning and evening and is generally pretty happy.  When I'm at home sick she spends the entire day sleeping as well, so I don't feel too guilty.  The crucial thing with dogs is routine.  If you do the same thing every day, and get the dog used to time alone the dog will figure out what's going on and won't be upset.

Taking care of two dogs is significantly more work and expense than taking care of a single dog.  If you're up for it, that's cool . . . but know that you will spend more on vet bills, toys, dog food, time, and that the more dogs you get together in a group the harder it is to control the dogs.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
i have a german shepherd and a chiweenie and literally just got a pitbull mix puppy last friday (someone had thrown him out at the dump it was so sad) and they are alone 7-4 most days.  the big dog is in the house when we are home and the garage/yard when we are out.  we have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence and made the garage pretty swanky for him to go in and out.  the pit mix will join the big dog when old enough.  the chiweenie is so little that our modest house is like a whole world to him.

they all get walked daily with a long hike on saturdays.  they seem happy.  my MIL crates her dogs and they love it.

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:27:16 AM »
While we don't have a dog, a good friend of mine has done work with a group called Dogs on Deployment.  They match up military members who have been deployed (or just have a long assignment elsewhere) and have a dog with people who can watch the dog while the military member is deployed.  The dog owner (military) pays the cost of the dog, but the person who takes in the dog doesn't charge for the boarding. 

That might be a good fit for you.  It would enable you to have a dog for a few months, so you can decide if you want to make a longer commitment to your own dog, and it would eliminate many of the dog expenses.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »
Thanks for all the supportive responses!  Foster-to-Adopt does sound like a great opportunity, I should look into that.  Dogs on Deployment sounds like a great organization too but I would be worried about falling in love with a dog and having to return it.  I might run that by the husband too though, as it would be a good practice run of getting up super early to walk the dog in all kinds of weather. 

I like the idea of a doggy door, except our fence is on the shorter side - a bigger dog could jump it for sure, if it really wanted to.  That's fine if we let the dog out and kept an eye on it, but I think it precludes letting the dog run around all day while we're gone. 

We probably will wait until next summer, so that my husband can ease the transition.  I'm just really glad to know so many responsible dog owners have had happy dogs who stay at home all day!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »

I like the idea of a doggy door, except our fence is on the shorter side - a bigger dog could jump it for sure, if it really wanted to.  That's fine if we let the dog out and kept an eye on it, but I think it precludes letting the dog run around all day while we're gone. 

I think this is dog-specific, too.

I had a really large Irish setter that could have easily sailed over our 4 ft fence.  It wasn't in his nature.  He lived to 13 and never jumped it.

I've had friends/family that had dogs that climb 6ft+ wooden privacy fences to get out.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
This is going to depend a lot on the breed.  Some dogs are far more social than others, so for some this would be no problem and for others it will cause some issues. I am not familiar enough with GSDs to know what applies to them, but certainly some dogs are completely fine being alone for 8-10 hours.  Leaving him crated for that long is another thing and while again it would be okay for some dogs, that is going to take a much lower key, lower energy dog than just bot being home but allowing him the run of the house and yard.  Can you put a trellis up, or something to extend the fence? Or build a dog run of some kind attached to the house via doggy door?

You can also get things like puzzle toys (Kong, etc.) to keep the dog occupied and focused while you are away.  That can help mitigate leaving them home alone and bored.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
I volunteer each week at our local animal shelter, and we always encourage foster-to-adopt with our dogs. A lot of organizations require it, since it takes the pressure off trying to make a bad situation work. The organization will want it to work for both the dog and the new owners, and sometimes everything on paper looks perfect and an adoption turns out differently. So fostering is always the way to go, IMO.

Our dog has always stayed at home all day by herself, and even when I work from home, she still just sleeps the day away. Like others have said, this will vary depending on breed, age, and energy level. We just finished dog-sitting my MIL's 7 month old puppy, who is mostly house trained but not crate trained. We corralled her in the mudroom while we were at work, and she did fine. She tore up some newspaper waiting to be recycled, but she just slept for the most part.

When you start looking for a dog, don't rush the process! Certain issues are easier to train out of an animal than others. I always recommend mixed breeds because then you don't get hung up on trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. To me, temperament and dog social skills are the most important when looking for a dog to add to your life.

We have a lot of different dogs in our life, and informal dog-sitting is much easier with a relaxed, social dog. Our dog is NOT a relaxed, social dog although she is much more relaxed and social than she was 5 years ago when we inherited her from my parents. She grudgingly will live with other dogs when we or other family members travel, but so help her god if that puppy bumps her trying to play. She WILL voice her displeasure, and then sulk upstairs in her bed. But we've had up to four dogs at a time if my SIL and MIL are traveling, so it all works out in the end. Just sometimes with more snarling than you'd like. :)

And obvi, volunteering at your local animal shelter is a whole lotta fun. Sometimes after a long day of bullshit at work, it's nice to just play fetch with the dogs. They don't play office politics!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »
If you don't have room/money for another dog but don't want to leave the dog home alone all day, you could consider a cat?  (I know, allergies, some people don't like cats, etc.)  The reason I suggest this is because I have an older cocker spaniel, who is absolutely not a dog dog.  She'll sniff them in greeting and then ignore them.  We knew that if we got another dog she'd be seriously upset.  We got a cat as a companion instead, and that's working out well.  The dog gets possessive of us sometimes, but for the most part she views the cat as not as much of a threat to our affection for her and we frequently find them snuggled up together in a chair.  Having another animal around really calms down her separation anxiety/neuroses.  (I suspect that she's the product of a puppy mill, though I didn't realize that when I got her.)

As for the cat, I find that in many ways he's less work than the dog.  Costs are about comparable, but part of that is vet bills for an older dog and a young cat who likes to injure himself.  (He broke his femur last summer.)  It helps that we're friends with our vet, so I'm pretty sure he only charges us at cost.  :)

As for jumping in and getting an older dog right off the bat: this can be both good and bad.  My dog is 10 now and I've had her for most of her life.  Her age and size (about 25 lbs.) are great in that she doesn't require more space/walking time/entertainment than we can reasonably provide right now, but at the same time her personality is very set.  We've been able to teach her new tricks in the last few years, but not new behaviors.  And she gets more anxious with changes now than she did as a puppy/young dog.  1-3 years is probably a good adoption age, depending on the dog (always!) since they're young enough to shape a bit of their personality to suit you (sorta) and old enough to realize how good they've got it with you so they want to please.

That being said, my friend adopted a 7 year old basset hound who was the sweetest, most amenable dog you've ever met in your life.  If you do foster/adopt a dog that age, be sure to get them thoroughly checked out by a vet.  It turned out the hound had a tumor on her liver and died only a couple of months after being adopted.  I wondered if the people who had her before knew but "couldn't afford" the vet care and so dropped her off at the shelter without informing anyone?

Dee 72013

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
Could you get a dog around the time you are planning to take a week off work if you want a staycation... You would have nine days to bond with your new family member and set up a new routine. Maybe get a baby gate to keep him/her out of the places that are off limits.
Also make sure you have plenty of toys to keep them occupied. I switch out my dogs toys to give him a variety and he stays out of trouble that way.
Maybe dogs aren't mustachian but then again consider how they relax us and give us a sense of well being.
I think dogs are the best anti-depressant medicine on or off the market.
Mine keeps me honest in getting a daily walk, endorses a weekend cat nap, gets me outside in my backyard to get some fresh air while conveniently playing ball.. hmm.. just thought of also helping my motor skills.
A cheap alternative to a personal trainer.
Enjoy your new best friend!!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
I have a GSD who is now almost 9 months old.  When he was a pup, I would come over lunch to let him out.  I stopped doing this around 4 months old.  I'm on my way to earning IPO titles.  Still a work in progress, but we are getting there.

For anyone with a dog, I cannot recommend a crate enough.  If you introduce and use the right way, it solves many of the issues that dogs have (destructive chewing, separation anxiety, etc...)  Along with enough exercise and training.

I always get wary when people recommend two dogs as a "companion".  While dogs are packs animals, leaving two dogs alone together or just together all the time creates issues with training and "rank" I guess you could say.  Dumbed down, why would the dog listen to you when he can just play with his buddy anytime?  If you follow the advice of dog trainers, having two (or more) dogs, you should still crate separately and it essentially Triples the training time.  You have to train each dog individually and train when the dogs are together.

Sidenote: depending on the GSD you end up with, walking, even for 2 hrs a day, might not be enough.  GSD's need mental stimulation.  Obedience, Tracking, Agility, IPO/Schutzhund are all great ways to exercise a GSD mentally and physically.  So when thinking about the time required to own a GSD you need to prepare for more than just walking.  I do walk with my dog, though a majority of it is short, just heeling work.  Scent work is fun to do, especially when they get good at it.  A flirt Pole (think big cat toy) is good too.  That exercises their prey drive in a positive manner.

I consider my dog mustachian because I spend time training and hanging out with it rather than spending my money on something frivalous.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
Re: the cat suggestion.  I have a cat.   He's the worst.  Actually, he's a pretty awesome cat,  but I just....don't like cats.  I am not a cat person.  They are hardly a replacement for a dog  ;-)

Sidenote: depending on the GSD you end up with, walking, even for 2 hrs a day, might not be enough.  GSD's need mental stimulation.  Obedience, Tracking, Agility, IPO/Schutzhund are all great ways to exercise a GSD mentally and physically.  So when thinking about the time required to own a GSD you need to prepare for more than just walking.  I do walk with my dog, though a majority of it is short, just heeling work.  Scent work is fun to do, especially when they get good at it.  A flirt Pole (think big cat toy) is good too.  That exercises their prey drive in a positive manner.

I consider my dog mustachian because I spend time training and hanging out with it rather than spending my money on something frivalous.

Yeah I worry about this a little.  I  love GSDs because they are smart but of course they need lots of mental stimulation.  Do you think this sort of training work is something one could do on their own with the help of books? 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
Yeah I worry about this a little.  I  love GSDs because they are smart but of course they need lots of mental stimulation.  Do you think this sort of training work is something one could do on their own with the help of books?

Yes you can learn on your own.  Working with a trainer or a dog training club is a good way to go.  Like anything worth doing, it takes alot of time and discipline.  Good that you have started reading already, Ceasars Way has good insight to how dogs think and view the world.

A fun game that I play with my dog is as follows:
First train your dog on a scent (I use clove oil).  Once your dog knows the scent, get 5 identical plastic boxes and hide a scented object in one of the boxes.  If he correctly identifies the box the item is in, he gets a treat!  As he gets better you can spread the boxes out further and work on teaching him to inspect each one etc etc.  I've worked up to the 4 bases of a baseball field and the pitchers mound.  He will run up to each box until he finds it.  (My dog was picking the right box 95% by the time he was 5 months, I'm guessing the other 5% there was probably lingering scent from item being in there or he's just lazy :-P).

Most of the stuff I have done with my dog I learned by myself.  Youtube is a great resource.  Here is a list of the channels that I have found helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qnqaajTk6bfs3UZuue6IQ Good for training exercises
http://www.youtube.com/user/tab289 Another good training exercise channel, but the author has a GSD :)
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxiCRhUlWXGvgG2x1JMBj8w Only has 1 or 2 good videos for training, the rest are demo's of dogs hes trained.  Focus is with E-collar
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdxxOQ_Le6xh2_2gDXX2Ukw Same as above, has a few good training videos, the rest he is just showing how good of a trainer he is and why you should send him money (to train).  Focus is with E-collar and Prong collar.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4pnBzx4OMAhkgjHmVRV4PQ Interesting videos on the Sport of IPO/Schutzhund.  Not really any training videos, but fun to watch.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:04:05 AM by Cromacster »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »
Sidenote: depending on the GSD you end up with, walking, even for 2 hrs a day, might not be enough.

It's not just mental stimulation.  Walking at a human walking pace just isn't much exercise for a (medium to large - I don't know about toy breeds) dog.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Sidenote: depending on the GSD you end up with, walking, even for 2 hrs a day, might not be enough.

It's not just mental stimulation.  Walking at a human walking pace just isn't much exercise for a (medium to large - I don't know about toy breeds) dog.
i agree.  my dogs both like to run, even the toy one, he just can't run as far or as long as the gsd.  they chase each other around the yard a lot, the little one is more agile but the big one catches up on the straightaways.  since i am not a runner i do the leisure walks in the evenings with the gsd, my partner runs though and they run up to 10 miles at a time. 
we've never done any mental stimulation with the gsd, though after reading this thread i will be you tubing videos to start.  it sounds like he might like it. although i think mine might be a little slow, i still love him.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »

This isn't true for all large breeds.  There are plenty that don't need a 7mi/hr run.  But a GSD is not on the lazy side of larger dogs breeds. 

OP, it sounds like you could be a great home for a dog, but perhaps not GSD. 

If you want a lazy dog, do some research and find a breed that is perfectly fine with a couple somewhat short exercise sessions a day and is otherwise lazy.  There are plenty that meet that criteria.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »

If you want a lazy dog, do some research and find a breed that is perfectly fine with a couple somewhat short exercise sessions a day and is otherwise lazy.  There are plenty that meet that criteria.

Where did we get the idea I want a lazy dog??  The dog will have crate downtime during the work day, but I'm talking about 2 hours of walks on weekdays plus weekend hikes.  I want a dog that will be active with me.

As a sidenote, has anyone successfully biked with a dog on a leash running beside?  Seems terrifying to me, but I saw someone doing it the other day with some type of small dog. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
I've done with a black lab and some sort of whippet lab mix.  I haven't done it with my GSD, though he is still young.

There is a test that GSD's can take (or any dog for that matter), the AD (stands for something german).  Consist of a 12 mile bike ride with some obedience trials at the end.  As always, there probably some youtube training videos out there on best practices for this.

It's just like anything, with training and if you have the dogs impulse control in check, go for it.  Start slow.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
As a sidenote, has anyone successfully biked with a dog on a leash running beside?  Seems terrifying to me, but I saw someone doing it the other day with some type of small dog.
One of my neighbors does this with his fairly crazy 100lb+ doberman.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
Honestly, it sounds like you are able to offer a dog something far nicer than what they can get at the shelter, so I say go for it! 

As far as multiple dogs go, it is so dog-dependent.  We used to live in a house with 4 dogs (which was really too many...).  One dog had major separation anxiety if he was away from the other dogs, and having a pack definitely kept him calm.  Another one I think would really have preferred to have been an only (he had been originally an only and then the other 3 got added), and he would sometimes pick fights with the other dogs.  The other two dogs were pretty chill and I think they liked having the pack but they would have been fine solo as well.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
As a sidenote, has anyone successfully biked with a dog on a leash running beside? 

I have never biked with a dog on a leash, but I mountain bike with my two all the time.  The older one mostly stays alongside, or ahead* if it's single-track, the younger tends to run all over the place, checking back every few minutes.  Though oddly enough, when I've taken him along on horse rides, he stays glued to my stirrup.

*Being ahead is her laziness showing.  She'll run to get ahead, then slow to a gentle trot, knowing I can't pass her.

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »

Where did we get the idea I want a lazy dog??  The dog will have crate downtime during the work day, but I'm talking about 2 hours of walks on weekdays plus weekend hikes.  I want a dog that will be active with me.

There are quite a lot of dogs that will happily walk with you as much as you like, and then happily sleep all day while you are at work. You really don't need to look for a super high energy dog to get one that will hike or walk as long as you want to go. I have a husky mix who does exactly this. If you're not trail running or otherwise doing very exerting activities, most larger dogs can keep up with you pretty well. Keep in mind a four legged dog is more mechanically efficient than you are. :)  I also second the suggestion of an older dog, especially if you are hoping to move them out of the crate at some point.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 06:09:15 AM »

Where did we get the idea I want a lazy dog?? The dog will have crate downtime during the work day, but I'm talking about 2 hours of walks on weekdays plus weekend hikes.  I want a dog that will be active with me.

I don't think that you want a lazy dog, so much as you need a lazy dog.  There are different kids of lazy, but you need a dog that is going to be content to be locked up for 8+ hours a day.  Many breeds are going to deal well with that.  That's the flavor of lazy you need.  A greyhound might be perfect, and that's a dog most don't consider truly lazy.  But they thrive on a couple short bursts of exercise each day, and they are happy to be couch potatoes the rest of the time. 

My use of the term "lazy" was a simplification, and I'm sorry you objected to that word choice.  You need a dog that will be comfortable being lazy for 8 hours a day, but that will have the energy to keep up with you for an hour or two on either side of those 8 hours.  Is that better?

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
There are quite a lot of dogs that will happily walk with you as much as you like, and then happily sleep all day while you are at work.

True, just as there are plenty of humans who will happily spend their days on the couch.  My point was that neither dogs nor humans who do that are going to be healthy.

If you're not trail running or otherwise doing very exerting activities, most larger dogs can keep up with you pretty well.

Keep up?  Sorry, but a healthy dog can and will run a human into the ground - and then rest for a few minutes, and be ready for chasing tennis balls.

PS: I should add that that's if temperatures are cool enough to keep the dog from overheating.  Most breeds can't tolerate heat as well as humans.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:01:05 PM by Jamesqf »

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:37 AM »
PS: I should add that that's if temperatures are cool enough to keep the dog from overheating.  Most breeds can't tolerate heat as well as humans.

There is a theory that heat tolerance coupled with extreme endurance was one of the early evolutionary advantages of humans. In a hot savannah humans can outrun antelopes, obviously not because we can run faster but because antelope would eventually collapse from heat exhaustion. That has actually been proven and I remember correctly it took about 7 h for modern professional marathon runners. Might have been less for ancients because of better tracking.

Often the bigger brain is cited as the main advantage of early humans, but it's certainly not the only thing and it might not have been the first advantage. In addition to endurance and heat tolerance we also have one of the best colour 3D visions in animal kingdom.

Sorry for off-topic :)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 04:01:45 AM »
Love my doggies, Leo and Licorice.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »
There is a theory that heat tolerance coupled with extreme endurance was one of the early evolutionary advantages of humans.

Sure, and the same is true (if not more so) for wolves.  The difference is that they were a high-latitude species rather than a tropical one, and so did not have the need to evolve human's extreme cooling system.  But they've evolved other mechanisms that put them near the top of animal endurance lists: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/what-makes-iditarod-dogs-perfect-endurance-athletes

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »

I don't think that you want a lazy dog, so much as you need a lazy dog.  There are different kids of lazy, but you need a dog that is going to be content to be locked up for 8+ hours a day.  Many breeds are going to deal well with that.  That's the flavor of lazy you need.  A greyhound might be perfect, and that's a dog most don't consider truly lazy.  But they thrive on a couple short bursts of exercise each day, and they are happy to be couch potatoes the rest of the time. 

My use of the term "lazy" was a simplification, and I'm sorry you objected to that word choice.  You need a dog that will be comfortable being lazy for 8 hours a day, but that will have the energy to keep up with you for an hour or two on either side of those 8 hours.  Is that better?

All right, maybe I need a dog that's a little bit lazy. 

Ozstache, your dogs are beautiful.  If anyone else wants to turn this into a thread of dog pictures be my guest  :) 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
My GSD :).  Pic from the first day I got him and one about 8 months old.

update: Added picture of bed comparison.  First day and 6 months I think.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:10:05 AM by Cromacster »

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »
Happy to oblige...

Maggie (9 yr old husky/border collie mix)

Photo 1 - in the rain with her coat (hates the coat but keeps off much of the wet dog smell!)
Photo 2 - sitting on a table in the snow (loves the snow and also loves sitting on tables)
Photo 3 - in the car waiting to get out so she can go run in the park

Give an older dog a chance!

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
My GSD :).  Pic from the first day I got him and one about 8 months old.

tiny puppy squee!! I love the giant bed in the background, clearly for him to grow into.. :)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
Ok, dog pictures!  Here are the two medium-sized dogs, and one of the big dog.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I like the big dog  :)

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
I have to chime in and say DON'T GET A WORKING DOG IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE GONE AT LEAST 8 HOURS A DAY! Seriously, people, don't do this.  I know waaay too many people who have gotten German Shepherds or Miniature Australian Shepherds or retrievers of various types who were then "surprised" by how much work they were. Like, you really expected a working dog to lay on the couch? They've then had to re-home or put the dogs into doggy daycare. :( You may love the breed, but that doesn't mean it's the best for your lifestyle. Do a dog breed questionnaire like this one to get an idea of the facets of owning a dog: http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

It will be important to find the right dog from the breed for your lifestyle. My parents and sister both have long-haired dachshunds. Sister's dog is lazy as the day is long, happily stays in his kennel while she is at work (7am-4pm), rarely plays with toys and never plays fetch, and is fine with a short walk every day. Parents' dog is a retriever in a dachshund's body, very intelligent and needs a lot of stimulation, wants to play fetch, hide & go seek, sometimes goes on 2 walks in a day, etc. but my dad has his own business from home so she's a great companion for him and forces him out of his La-Z-Boy. She also refuses to go on a walk with only one person, so my parents joke that the dog is good for their marriage. :)

Lastly, I think smaller dogs are more mustachian than large dogs. They eat less (bonus: smaller poops to pick up), they generally live longer, can be fine with smaller living spaces, etc.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Re: Can we talk about dogs?
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »
I have to chime in and say DON'T GET A WORKING DOG IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE GONE AT LEAST 8 HOURS A DAY!

That's not the case.

I know waaay too many people who have gotten German Shepherds or Miniature Australian Shepherds or retrievers of various types who were then "surprised" by how much work they were. Like, you really expected a working dog to lay on the couch?

That's the case. 

A working dog is fine if in its crate for 8+ hrs a day (And yes, I strongly advocate crate training).  Most people who train multiple dogs will tell you that when they aren't training or working the dog they are probably crated (for many hours).

Problems arise, as you say, when people are surprised at how much work they have to put in.  I have a GSD who is crated for roughly 9 hrs a day.  He's fine with it.  He's fine because we train for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, plus another walk or some "brain" games for him.  And he isn't an exception, my dog was bred for police/military work.  But yes, if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort of training and exercise, don't get a working dog.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Re: Can we talk about dogs?
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
I have to chime in and say DON'T GET A WORKING DOG IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE GONE AT LEAST 8 HOURS A DAY!

That's not the case.

I know waaay too many people who have gotten German Shepherds or Miniature Australian Shepherds or retrievers of various types who were then "surprised" by how much work they were. Like, you really expected a working dog to lay on the couch?

That's the case. 

A working dog is fine if in its crate for 8+ hrs a day (And yes, I strongly advocate crate training).  Most people who train multiple dogs will tell you that when they aren't training or working the dog they are probably crated (for many hours).

Problems arise, as you say, when people are surprised at how much work they have to put in.  I have a GSD who is crated for roughly 9 hrs a day.  He's fine with it.  He's fine because we train for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, plus another walk or some "brain" games for him.  And he isn't an exception, my dog was bred for police/military work.  But yes, if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort of training and exercise, don't get a working dog.

Okay, I stand corrected; it's definitely fine for dogs to be crated (my sister's dog is in his crate 7am-4pm and seems fine with it, for example), but in general, I don't think it's an excellent plan to get a dog whose temperament and needs are a mis-match with your own lifestyle and temperament.

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »
I've had retired greyhounds for a few years now, and I have to say: I don't know how I'd ever get any other dog again! Shedding and mess are minimal, they come to you already crate-trained and most even know how to walk politely on-leash.  The track dogs are bred for athleticism, so they don't have the sorts of genetic issues that other "pedigree" dogs may be prone to.  They are active when they see us being active, and if we watch a movie, they say "Excellent! Time for another nap!" 

http://blog.cloudstar.com/2013/06/18/ask-the-experts-greyhound-adoption/

mrpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »
Do "regular" greyhounds have the same temperment as Italian greyhounds? Because we've (me and my small dog) have met a few of those on walks and they seem like spazzy little bastards.

lcg377

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
They sleep for about 80% of the day, so I would say they are decidedly "unspazzy." lol

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »
I have two rescue dogs, a Springer Spaniel (Charles, 9 yrs old) and a German Shepard (Ava, about 11 yrs old).  I fenced off a small-ish part of my yard, immediately off the garage and installed a doggie door in the people-door of the garage.  During the day while I'm at work, they hang out in the garage or go out in their yard if they want.  The Springer was climbing the 4' fence so I installed Coyote rollers along the top to stop him from climbing.  During the summer, I have a window A/ C unit that I run on the hottest days.  There's also a fan that blows right down on their doggie beds for days that are borderline warm/ hot.  For the winter, their dog beds go into dog houses.  It doesn't get too cold here so that's sufficient.

Everybody is happy and it's easy.  One nice thing about getting an adult rescue dog is that you can assess their personalities/ activity level pretty accurately. Their puppy stage has worn off and they've settled into who they are as a dog.  I've found it's easier to match up with an adult dog rather than a puppy.  Plus, it feels especially good to get an older dog whose options for adoption are much more limited.  My Ava is an amazing dog -- one of the best I've had in a lifetime of dogs -- and I got her when she was 9.   LOVE her.  The Springer is a classic Springer and let's just say that I won't have a Springer again (just not my cup o' tea)!

HappyHoya

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
If you're going to be gone so much of the day, your priority in adopting a dog should be finding a dog who would be content with your lifestyle. You may not be able to get the specific breed you want, and you need to be more open minded about age. Even though you are willing to/want to go on long walks and take training seriously, it's difficult to make up for a whole day of being gone.

That said, there are plenty of dogs who can both be active and would be happy with your schedule. I had an older bichon, traditionally thought of as an indoor lap dog, who was perfect for me when I was single and gone during the day from about 8-5. We would go on a 2/2.5 mile hike in the morning (he was 9 years old at the time, and yes, he loved this- most dogs are more active than people and they don't limit themselves the way we do), and then, according to my housemates, he would be passed out on the couch until about 20 minutes before I got home, at which point we would go on a longer hike (4-5 miles). Currently, I have a dog we rescued at about 3 years old. Due to medical issues, she's very mellow, although definitely more energetic than we first thought. Luckily, my husband and I share the responsibility of taking care of her, so it's easier to stagger our work scheduled so she's not alone as long. We also employ an occasional dog walker and have a kind neighbor who also helps out.

I highly suggest you stay open minded and make your #1 priority in selecting a dog that the dog would be happy with your lifestyle. You really ought to let go of your breed and age preferences. There are lots of older dogs who not only need homes, but are often easier to have for working people. Our current dog was completely housebroken when we got her, and only had one accident ever (she was post-op, very heavily medicated, so I don't blame her). No need to take vacation time to train the puppy or anything like that. I've had dogs all my life. With each of my dogs, our best years together were 8-13/14ish (they've all lived to 15+, with good health until the last couple months). I do sometimes wish I knew what my dog looked like as a puppy, but that's mostly a curiosity issue. I don't think I would love her any more if I knew her longer, or if I had total control over her upbringing. I promise that once you get a dog, it will be a unique family member, and you won't think as much about things like breed, age, or where they came from.

perthcyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • perthcyclist blog
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »
So we live in a two bedroom villa and have two permanent resident dogs, one greyhound and one mastiff x staffordshire x whatever else he is. I also foster ex-racing greyhounds whilst they wait for the right home to come along. My dogs are now past middle age and are no trouble at all.

They do fine with a 30 minute stroll around the block daily. My greyhound has never needed more than this, even when she was 2 years old when I first adopted her. She would need to be acclimated to more exercise. My mastiff x staffy was much more active when he was younger but it all started to change once he got past 5.

Out of my foster greyhounds, I would have had the perfect dog for you - Zelda was up for 10k rough hikes, was 4, and was perfect in the house during my periods at work. She was very happy as an only dog, so didn't need a friend and didn't play nice with cats.

My commute time is about an hour and I work an 8 hr day so I'm away 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week. They are totally fine with it. I have a webcam set up and they sleep the majority of the day. They are inside dogs so they aren't exposed to the weather (extreme heat is the major issue but we are getting increasingly more intense storms as well). They have no problems holding on 9 hrs for their toilet break. They can both hold on significantly longer if they need to, or in the greyhound's case if they don't want to go outside because it is too wet or hot.

For most dogs, it is not true that exercise is the be all and end all for them. Training is just as important, and so is being included in the pack and the packs' activities.

Don't let 'feeling sorry for a dog that is going to be killed' influence your decisions. You will not make the right decision. The worst thing you can do for a dog is feel sorry for it.

I am studying a lot of dog training and behaviour type stuff and plan to become a trainer in my semi-retirement stage. Not many like Ceasar Milan's way of doing things. If you want to read some good dog trainer books then start with Patricia McConnell.

If you want to know more about my dogs/foster greyhounds then my dog blog is http://jetsagenda.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:50:33 PM by perthcyclist »

perthcyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • perthcyclist blog
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
Do "regular" greyhounds have the same temperment as Italian greyhounds? Because we've (me and my small dog) have met a few of those on walks and they seem like spazzy little bastards.

Real Greyhounds are for the most part totally opposite to italian greyhounds and not actually genetically related at all

Attached: photo of me walking my two dogs and foster greyhound Zelda :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:47:46 PM by perthcyclist »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
Have you made your decision whether or not you want a dog?

We just adopted our first family dog a few months ago. He is a small 11lb mini poodle that was rescued from a hoarder's home. I had never considered poodles before the rescue suggested him....but now I am in love with the breed. Athletic and energetic, yet content to lay around the rest of the time.

He;s the perfect fit for our family. While I try to give him at least a 30 min walk daily, we've been lazy and he gets it about every other day now. He is in a bit higher spirits on days he doesn't walk, at which point, we play tag around the house. He sleeps all the time, but just completed a 10k hike with my DD and I last Sunday.

He is crate trained and stays in his crate from 9-3 daily. I quit feeling bad about that when I saw the effects of the kids being home with him all summer. The poor dog was wiped out and grumpy because with all their noise and chaos, he never was able to nap more than 10-20 mins at a time. He's been much happier since they have gone back to school and he gets his uninterrupted naptime again.

While he costs a lot, I absolutely love being a dog mommy and relish taking care of him. One note about the beauty of small dogs - he is wonderfully portable. Since we travel constantly, he travels easily right along with us and .

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Oh, we're definitely getting a dog.  The question is just what kind and when.  I'm making DH read the books I read on dogs, and when he finishes we'll start getting serious about it.  It'll be a big dog (but not so big it has a shortened lifespan/I can't help up the stairs), but beyond that I'm starting to loosen my breed restrictions. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
It's good that you are doing your research before diving in. Good luck - dogs are awesome and well worth the money if you are a dog person :)