Poll

How much caffeine do you consume daily?

500+ mg (multiple cups of coffee, chocolate and energy drinks)
38 (19.5%)
300mg (about 2 16 oz energy drinks depending on brand)
49 (25.1%)
150mg (average size coffee)
62 (31.8%)
50mg or less (small glass of tea)
46 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Author Topic: Caffeine addiction  (Read 17005 times)

euphoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Caffeine addiction
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
Following this thread because I've recently realized I have a caffeine problem.  There was recently a news report about a teen who had died from issues related to less caffeine than I drink per day, and it kind of shook me.

Typically I drink: one triple espresso shot with almond milk in the morning, one 5 hour energy poured into a can of sparkling water, and another triple shot later in the day, or 1/2 of an energy drink... just to keep myself going.  If I try to taper off, I feel HORRIBLE.  I've come to the conclusion that I'll need 3-5 days off in a row in order to lay in bed if I go cold turkey.  I've done it before (never lasted more than a month), and had pretty notable repercussions at work, headaches, and even dizziness/nausea stuff.

I wasn't even permitted to drink soda as a child, yet somehow at about 25 years old (I'm 33 now), I discovered that drinking a Red Bull (then eventually coffee) helped me increase my production at work... which actually got me plenty of raises and advancement at that time... but now it's just a drag, and isn't helping me get ahead anymore. 
      Yet I have two jobs, two side-hustles, I go to school full-time, and I play on a sports team... Hoping following this thread will give me some ideas for how to ween myself off while still managing my responsibilities!

All I can say is good luck. I started this thread over a month ago and I have still not quit. I make it past the first day of extreme headaches and day 2 is just a really sleepy/depressed feeling and by day 3 I'm back on the caffeine. Im going to try slowly tapering like I've been reading on a bunch of articles. My biggest problem is that in order to workout i NEED caffeine, its definitely mental but without it i don't feel like doing anything. So basically I'm forcing myself to quit the gym until I'm done with caffeine since thats honestly the only time i consume it in pre workout formula.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
My earlier post I mentioned I went to white tea for a while as a way to step down from coffee.  Well it worked, I'm off tea (and all caffeine) for about 6 weeks now.  Addiction is a funny thing.  After the first couple of weeks there's no physical cravings, but the brain still gives you emotional cravings like "oh, a cup of coffee would just be so nice right now", or "I've been good, I deserve a little treat, how about a nice espresso", and shit like that.  I noticed the same patterns when I stopped drinking alcohol. 

euphoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »
bump

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Any updates from anyone on battling the caffeine addiction?

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »
I've been caffeine-free for about 2 weeks now. It took me about 2 months of a very slow wean of 1/4 cup of coffee every 4 days. I don't think I really had any caffeine-withdrawal headaches.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:42 PM »
I have an espresso before any 3+ hour bike ride.  That's it.  Daily use of the drug limits it's effectiveness as a performance enhancer and increases your dependence.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
I was always one of those who could drink caffeine and it seemed to have very little effect on me. Drink a 20oz Red Bull and then go to sleep for the night kind of stuff. Suddenly, about 6 months ago, I started getting bouts of anxiety for no apparent reason. Traced it back to caffeine and now I drink it very little. It's funny how our bodies change.

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2018, 02:28:54 AM »
Whats up MMM Family!

This is my very first post and its going to be about something 90% of Americans consume daily.

I've recently had an epiphany that involves caffeine. I wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone has experienced some of the things that i have been through with this drug (yes, DRUG)

One day a few months back i had a lightbulb moment. I was researching things about loss of motivation, Anxiety, bad mood, low energy etc. I came across an article/studies about caffeine. IT ALL MADE SENSE.

For 3 years now i have been taking pre-workout supplements and consuming drinks like coffee that contain lots of caffeine pretty much daily. As i look back and see where my social anxiety and depression symptoms started occurring it was when i began to consume caffeine in high doses. I strongly encourage you guys to do your research on what caffeine does to your central nervous system overtime. Caffeine puts your body in a fight/flight stage releasing cortisol and adrenaline. This should only happen when we're in danger.

Its now been a few months and i can't tell you how much research I've done on the subject. I've tried to quit several times but can't make it past the headaches/withdrawal symptoms. I think I've made it almost 7 days before giving in.
The hardest part about this whole process is being self employed and losing motivation. I have to run my business and if i don't consume caffeine i literally want to do nothing but sleep all day.

Waking up to this has been insane. Realizing that people aren't lined up at starbucks for the antioxidants coffee contains but for the caffeine. haha

Was wondering if anyone here has gone through anything similar and has successfully given up caffeine? I know i sound like an addict but its the truth. I'm addicted to caffeine :/

Welcome. :)

I've considered moderating my caffeine intake, but never tried too hard. I don't think it's ever been much of a problem for me. Sometimes I'm away for a week or so and go without coffee, and don't seem to experience any withdrawal symptoms.

If you're an instant coffee kind of guy, I was wondering if you've considered weaning yourself off by mixing up regular and decaffeinated coffee? Something like 90% regular and 10% decaffeinated to start with, then 80% - 20%, 70% - 30%, etc.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2018, 04:56:34 AM »
I have an espresso before any 3+ hour bike ride.  That's it.  Daily use of the drug limits it's effectiveness as a performance enhancer and increases your dependence.

I would like to get myself to that point. It's sort of spiraled out of control for me. Been a cup a day coffee drinker for about a decade. Not really any issues with that. Then I added in the occasional pre-workout which were nice for long workout sessions. Now everyday is coffee and pre-workout (regardless of weather I workout or not). I have tons of energy but often times the crash sucks. And I've been struggling to get a good nights sleep. My goal is to cut out the pre-workout. I make my own so it will be easier to start tapering off the ingredients.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:02 AM »
I'm like a chocoholic. Only for coffee. It's necessary for my daily transformation from a Purple Minion into an actual human being.

Is there not a common term for coffee addict? We have alcoholic, crackhead, workaholic, chocoholic, tweaker, chain smoker; coffeeholic doesn't have the right ring to it. Is there are word specific to caffeine or coffee?

I only drink about a cup/day but if I notice I'm starting to drink more I cut back for a few days. Even though I only have a small amount I notice increased cravings as soon as I start drinking more. Recently I bought a really small coffee mug (at Goodwill) to limit how much I pour. I enjoy it more this way too since the best part of a cup of coffee is the first few sips. The last gulp of cold coffee is taken because it's... there.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 07:04:17 AM »
I'm like a chocoholic. Only for coffee. It's necessary for my daily transformation from a Purple Minion into an actual human being.

Is there not a common term for coffee addict? We have alcoholic, crackhead, workaholic, chocoholic, tweaker, chain smoker; coffeeholic doesn't have the right ring to it. Is there are word specific to caffeine or coffee?

I only drink about a cup/day but if I notice I'm starting to drink more I cut back for a few days. Even though I only have a small amount I notice increased cravings as soon as I start drinking more. Recently I bought a really small coffee mug (at Goodwill) to limit how much I pour. I enjoy it more this way too since the best part of a cup of coffee is the first few sips. The last gulp of cold coffee is taken because it's... there.

That's a good point. I can actually only stomach about 1 cup in the morning. Once the coffee starts to get lukewarm/cold I don't really want it anymore.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »
Nice to see this thread pop up.

For most of my life, I've actually been mostly caffeine-free. I didn't like coffee, didn't like coke and mostly drank rooibos tea. My reaction to caffein was usually super strong as I hadn't built any tolerance at all.

However, I've started to appreciate the flavour of coffee much more throughout the years and lately I feel like I drink it too much. I now have fancy Vietnamese coffee at home that's just too good not to drink (and way stronger than espresso or Americano). I don't care about the caffeine - I just want my delicious flavor but I can't get this coffee cafeine free :(

This morning I woke up with a headache and I'm pretty sure it's something to do with my increased coffee consumption of the last weeks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2018, 07:35:28 AM »

I would like to get myself to that point. It's sort of spiraled out of control for me. Been a cup a day coffee drinker for about a decade. Not really any issues with that. Then I added in the occasional pre-workout which were nice for long workout sessions. Now everyday is coffee and pre-workout (regardless of weather I workout or not). I have tons of energy but often times the crash sucks. And I've been struggling to get a good nights sleep. My goal is to cut out the pre-workout. I make my own so it will be easier to start tapering off the ingredients.

The good thing about caffeine addiction is that you'll only have withdrawal symptoms for two weeks if you go off it cold turkey.  First three days are very rough, (headache, nausea, lethargy, irritability) and it steadily tapers off until you're free.  I kicked a 12 cups a day habit at the end of university . . . it was eye opening how rough that felt.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2018, 07:44:10 AM »
I drink about 1-1.5 mugs of drip coffee (no sugar/cream) every morning. I genuinely enjoy the scent and flavor and the morning ritual. I rarely drink caffeinated beverages at other times of the day, but when I do they don’t seem to have negative effects. Because I do enjoy coffee itself, I sometimes make a cup of decaf (the organic line at Kroger is the best I’ve found) for a treat in the afternoon. I don’t think I’ve ever tried an energy drink.

Am I addicted? Maybe a slight dependency. I had to give up coffee, as well as many other things, for a short period last winter for health reasons. I had an annoying but not intolerable headache for the first 2 days and was fine after that. No idea if it was the loss of coffee (I still drank tea) or something else.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
Am I addicted? Maybe a slight dependency. I had to give up single malt whiskey, as well as many other things, for a short period last winter for health reasons. I had an annoying but not intolerable headache for the first 2 days and was fine after that. No idea if it was the loss of booze (I still drank beer) or something else.

:P

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
Am I addicted? Maybe a slight dependency. I had to give up single malt whiskey, as well as many other things, for a short period last winter for health reasons. I had an annoying but not intolerable headache for the first 2 days and was fine after that. No idea if it was the loss of booze (I still drank beer) or something else.

Ah, apparently I have to provide ALL information. Fine, the transition was from 2-3 cups of strong black coffee (~300–600 mg caffeine) to one cup of green tea (~30–50 mg caffeine, 90% decrease). Feel free to make fun if it provides entertainment.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:37:11 AM by OtherJen »

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
I've been drinking coffee for 40 years with no bad affects.
However last year, after hearing my brother at age of 40 died of stomach cancer, my doctor wanted to do a ???? (can't remember word) where he put a camera down to my stomach and looked around.
All he said is that he noticed irritation and that I would not have to do that again. I guess stomach cancer can run in families and by now it would have shown up.
So I decided I better eliminate caffeine. Decaff coffee doesn't taste right to me so I used 1/3 regular coffee and 2/3 decaf in the am and if I have some in the pm, use decaf.

I guess I'm not addicted because I've felt no difference in cutting out, or cutting down on caffeine

A few months before this doctor did the scope, he did a colonoscopy on me. So, I was checked going in and coming out!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:54:16 AM by TheWifeHalf »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »
Starting to ween back my pre-workout drink. Only put in half the caffeine as usual (100mg vs 200mg). We'll see how that goes for a bit and go from there. Good news is I have a 2 week long backpacking trip coming up with the Boy Scouts. I'll be forced to only handle a cup of black coffee in the morning. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
I limit my caffeine but not too much.  I drink one mug of milky espresso in the morning and then either a small cappuccino or cup of black Earl Grey tea late morning and that's it.  I used to drink tea also in the afternoon but had sleep issues so cut that out. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »

Ah, apparently I have to provide ALL information. Fine, the transition was from 2-3 cups of strong black coffee (~300–600 mg caffeine) to one cup of green tea (~30–50 mg caffeine, 90% decrease). Feel free to make fun if it provides entertainment.

I'm just teasing.  You did say that you gave it up, but were still drinking it . . . which kinda made me giggle and think of an alcoholic I knew in university.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »
I admit it, I'm a junkie. I buy 10-packs of Monster energy drink and have them sitting on my desk because I'm barely functional without drinking multiple a day. It's very anti-mustachian because those drinks are crazy expensive.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2018, 05:51:58 PM »

I'm just teasing.  You did say that you gave it up, but were still drinking it . . . which kinda made me giggle and think of an alcoholic I knew in university.

I never intended to give up caffeine altogether. I had to give up coffee specifically (acidity, indigestibility, GI pain), and the green tea was an attempt to reduce the effects since I also had to give up ibuprofen. It was a happy surprise to find that I wasn't hugely dependent on large amounts of caffeine.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
Wow, I had always thought caffeine addiction was hyperbole. I didn't realize it was actually a thing. My coffee consumption varies seasonally from about 1 liter per work day in the winter to about half a liter in the summer, from the free supply at work. But on weekends I drink at most a glass of tea per day, and often no caffeine at all. Similar on holidays. But I have never noticed any physiological effects, except that I don't sleep well if I drink coffee within 10 hours or tea within 3 hours of bed time. Zero headaches or withdrawal signs. Basically no meaningful difference. I guess I am lucky.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2018, 02:45:06 PM »
I guess I'm like OtherJen.  I usually drink (2) cups of drip each morning.  Sometimes one.  Often with creamer.  Never any sugar.

I like the taste of (most) coffee, but I'm not sure the caffeine does much of anything for me.  I'll pass entirely on certain roasts/types.  It absolutely has to taste good.

If I miss a cup, its meh...  I would have enjoyed savoring it, but I don't crash.  I never get headaches or some longing to consume another caffeinated beverage.

I have tried decafe coffee, but it tastes funny to me...chemically funny.  Its just not worth it as it would be un-enjoyable to drink.

I drink a soda twice a week.  I choose decaf diet.  I don't taste a difference with sodas so I just pick the decafe version.

I feel I'm not addicted to caffeine...but I do think I'm addicted to enjoying a good flavored beverage...

Unfortunately that carries over to beer.  I love so many different flavors of beer.  Wish they had fewer calories...lite beers don't have flavor though...so they are kind of pointless for me to consume as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:50:11 PM by Slee_stack »

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
Currently, I have a cup of coffee in the morning and some iced tea later in the day and on the weekends I might have 2 cups of coffee in the morning. 

When I was younger, I didn't drink coffee much at all.  I only started drinking coffee daily when I moved to Portugal in my early 30s.  Then I got up to 5 or 6 espressos a day because we had an espresso machine at work and the Portuguese take a lot of breaks, and they would always come and get you to join them.  I didn't think much about it until I moved back to the US and had headaches from hell for the first weeks I was home.  I didn't even know that caffeine headaches were a thing until someone else mentioned it, then it all made sense.  So that's when I started drinking coffee every morning, but I usually stop after 1 cup. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
Green tea and Oolong tea are my go-to beverages in the afternoon now. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
I can quit any time I want. Really.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
Green tea and Oolong tea are my go-to beverages in the afternoon now.
Wulong cha shi henhaode he.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2018, 12:12:15 AM »
I like coffee. It's been my main form of fluid intake for decades. If that myth about every cup of coffee making you pee out two cups of water is true, I've been dust for 30 years. I've managed to make myself feel unwell from too much caffeine a few times over the years, but day to day my intake could vary hugely without any obvious problems.

Last year I was having a stressful time at work and started getting palpitations. Or phantom palpitations - I felt as if my heart was racing but the rate would be normal when I checked it. I decided I wasn't anxious until I was decaffeinated and anxious, and switched to decaffeinated coffee, non-caffeine teas and carbonated water. Dammit, it worked!

Going abroad has been the hardest thing. It hurts to see my husband sipping a lovely little cup of coffee in a Spanish restaurant while I'm presented with a cup of hot water, a sachet of decaf granules, and a vicious glare.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2018, 02:27:41 AM »
I am Swedish, not drinking coffee is not really an option. "Everyone" drinks coffee. I know people who will drink 10 cups or more a day and 3-5 is probably standard. De-caf is laughed about, it is something for people who are desperate or perhaps ill, no one drinks de-caf voluntarily. I have had to cut down due to stomach problems and today I am down to 1-2 cups and 2-4 cups of black tea and I feel almost like I don't drink coffee at all really. I love drinking good coffee, thus one of my worst spending habits which I am doing a pretty good job at breaking right now but the idea that I would never drink coffee feels like someone would tell me that I may never, for no real reason, have cucumber. Sure, I would be able to survive but why would I want to do something that crazy when there is no reason for it?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:03 AM »
I am Swedish, not drinking coffee is not really an option. "Everyone" drinks coffee. I know people who will drink 10 cups or more a day and 3-5 is probably standard. De-caf is laughed about, it is something for people who are desperate or perhaps ill, no one drinks de-caf voluntarily. I have had to cut down due to stomach problems and today I am down to 1-2 cups and 2-4 cups of black tea and I feel almost like I don't drink coffee at all really. I love drinking good coffee, thus one of my worst spending habits which I am doing a pretty good job at breaking right now but the idea that I would never drink coffee feels like someone would tell me that I may never, for no real reason, have cucumber. Sure, I would be able to survive but why would I want to do something that crazy when there is no reason for it?

I went to Sweden a few years ago and, at the time, I was on doctor's orders not to drink caffeine due to a serious heart issue.  Anyway, here in Italy, I happily drink decaf espresso all the time and sometimes decaf cappuccino and no one bats an eye.  Decaf here is just as delicious as the regular coffee  and lots of Italians drink it.  In Sweden, I asked for decaf and people actually laughed at me and one guy in a coffee bar told me I was "too American".  It seemed strange as surely there must be Swedes who have heart issues too and have to cut out caffeine.  And it was nothing to do with being American - it was Italian cardiologist who told me stop ingesting caffeine. 

Since coffee is such a big part of the social scene in Sweden (just like here in Italy) it seems that they should have alternatives.  I ended up just drinking juice all the time but it would have been nice to drink something hot since it was winter.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »

I limit my caffeine to when I really want the pick-me-up.  I try to maintain a baseline of drinking decaf so that the regular coffee gives me more of a jolt when I really need it.  I don't want to become dependent on it every day from morning on - I would just get used to it, and it would not be as effective.  So I use it selectively.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »

I went to Sweden a few years ago and, at the time, I was on doctor's orders not to drink caffeine due to a serious heart issue.  Anyway, here in Italy, I happily drink decaf espresso all the time and sometimes decaf cappuccino and no one bats an eye.  Decaf here is just as delicious as the regular coffee  and lots of Italians drink it.  In Sweden, I asked for decaf and people actually laughed at me and one guy in a coffee bar told me I was "too American".  It seemed strange as surely there must be Swedes who have heart issues too and have to cut out caffeine.  And it was nothing to do with being American - it was Italian cardiologist who told me stop ingesting caffeine. 

Since coffee is such a big part of the social scene in Sweden (just like here in Italy) it seems that they should have alternatives.  I ended up just drinking juice all the time but it would have been nice to drink something hot since it was winter.

No, not really, I don't think that any doctor would tell people to stop drinking coffee, cut down yes but probably not stop completely. Many countries tell you to stop drinking coffee while pregnant, here it is maximum three cups a day. De caf just isn't a thing, if you don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine you get a smoothie or orange juice or so. I was even advised when going for a job interview to never decline coffee because apparently some bosses will not hire "tea drinkers" and I assume that choosing nothing is even worse.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »

No, not really, I don't think that any doctor would tell people to stop drinking coffee, cut down yes but probably not stop completely. Many countries tell you to stop drinking coffee while pregnant, here it is maximum three cups a day. De caf just isn't a thing, if you don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine you get a smoothie or orange juice or so. I was even advised when going for a job interview to never decline coffee because apparently some bosses will not hire "tea drinkers" and I assume that choosing nothing is even worse.

I'm really surprised by this.  I guess I need to find a Swedish cardiologist and ask him/her if she would recommend giving up caffeine in my situation or not.  Italy is a coffee culture par excellence and if an Italian cardiologist and heart surgeon recommended giving up caffeine then I assume that anyone would do that.  Here in Italy caffeine and wine are both fine during pregnancy in moderate amounts.  But salad is a big no-no. 

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »

I'm really surprised by this.  I guess I need to find a Swedish cardiologist and ask him/her if she would recommend giving up caffeine in my situation or not.  Italy is a coffee culture par excellence and if an Italian cardiologist and heart surgeon recommended giving up caffeine then I assume that anyone would do that.  Here in Italy caffeine and wine are both fine during pregnancy in moderate amounts.  But salad is a big no-no.

I know that there was no talk about not drinking coffee after my dad had a heart attack at least. Less fat, less meat, more vegetables and more exercise (adapted to his injury at first of course) but not anything about coffee. My dad did not drink very much though, 1-2 small cups a day so that might be why. I have honestly never heard of anyone who has been told to never have coffee for anything really, but I got told to cut down for my stomach problems, the doctor didn't even say how much I should cut down I could have been a 10 cup a day person who might have said that it doesn't help because I would only get down to 7-8 cups. In my case I was able to cut down enough to see improvement so that was great.

You can eat salad here when pregnant but not drink wine at all. Some even warn about the fact that wine is still present in sauces and such if you add it late in the cooking process.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2018, 02:58:51 PM »
There’s no option for 0 caffeine, but I don’t drink any except on rare occasions.  Maybe once or twice a year if I’m really jet lagged and in Italy where the coffee is delicious, and whatever you get from chocolate sometimes.  It makes me jittery and I try really hard to get 8 hours of sleep a night.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
eliha - I don't think most cardiologists would suggest cutting out caffeine after a heart attack but I could be wrong.

My husband recently gave up caffeine and he sleeps much better now.  Maybe I should do the same but living in Italy the coffee is so delicious.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »
Try decaf.  You still get the great taste of coffee but avoid the caffeine when you don't need it.

Also, I avoid drinking regular coffee 8 hours before bedtime - that seems to be the safe spot for me.  I've had issues when I've drank it later in the afternoon.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2018, 04:01:53 PM »
We've been cutting down our caffeine, and here is the event that precipitated it:

DH woke at 5:45 with such a horrible pain in his chest that he thought he was dying (heart attack).  He demanded I take him to the ER.  After morphine, all the tests and scans, etc. they came back and said that his problem was...constipation due to caffeine.  I said, what?  Yep, his intestines were packed.  I said, but you go every day and many times a day. 

Dr. said that his high caffeine intake caused the recently eaten stuff to be processed through (mostly) while the rest built up and hardened....Dr's orders to cut out caffeine. 

DH went from 6+ cups a day to 2 and we are working our way to elimination or at least limiting it to 1 cup a day. 
That's probably why I've had a headache for two weeks straight...and I usually never have headaches. 

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
I admit it, I'm a junkie. I buy 10-packs of Monster energy drink and have them sitting on my desk because I'm barely functional without drinking multiple a day. It's very anti-mustachian because those drinks are crazy expensive.

I recently quit energy drinks, best thing I ever did. Have you considered that the energy drinks have made you less functional overall by depriving you of sleep? When I quit, my sleep improved. Used to HATE getting out of bed, now I make breakfast for my family.

I replaced it with spice tea (think chai latte without milk) and had zero ill affects. Still drink coffee, but no more energy drinks. The tea was mainly a health experiment and I'm not sure had anything to do with the ease of quitting.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2018, 10:23:24 PM »

I recently quit energy drinks, best thing I ever did. Have you considered that the energy drinks have made you less functional overall by depriving you of sleep? When I quit, my sleep improved. Used to HATE getting out of bed, now I make breakfast for my family.

I replaced it with spice tea (think chai latte without milk) and had zero ill affects. Still drink coffee, but no more energy drinks. The tea was mainly a health experiment and I'm not sure had anything to do with the ease of quitting.

If you haven’t tried them, Stash Tea makes a delicious caffeine-free chai rooibos (Spice Dragon) and a good chai green tea if you like a bit of caffeine.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »

If you haven’t tried them, Stash Tea makes a delicious caffeine-free chai rooibos (Spice Dragon) and a good chai green tea if you like a bit of caffeine.

Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice is also a good caffeine-free option, but I also drink a lot of chai black tea without milk.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2018, 02:34:19 AM »
Thanks for the recs. If anyone's interested in how I do it-right now I have a ton of spices from Indian food experiments that I'm using. Conveniently Indian food spices make great tea! Cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, star anise. Also ginger and turmeric when good stock shows up at the market.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2018, 05:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the recs. If anyone's interested in how I do it-right now I have a ton of spices from Indian food experiments that I'm using. Conveniently Indian food spices make great tea! Cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, star anise. Also ginger and turmeric when good stock shows up at the market.

Oh, yum. I’m far enough from any markets with spices that it is cheaper to buy the premade versions, but that sounds great.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
I quit about a month ago.  Tapered for a week, then suffered for about three days.  It was survivable.

Like any other drug, the potency wears off with long term use and that makes withdrawal even harder.  I would have tapered for longer if I had been starting at a higher daily dose.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
I voted for 300mg though I think that's an upper limit for me...on average I expect I'm around the 150 range, but on an average day, around 200-250. I frequently have a cup (12-16oz) in the morning, and I might have a tea or something later in the afternoon/evening. I grew up drinking tea several times a day (including at bedtime!) and it doesn't seem to affect me the way coffee does. On bad days (too little or bad quality sleep, snoozy weather, etc) I might have a second coffee in early afternoon (12-3) but if I make this a habit I have found I get twitchy, anxious, GI upset, and withdrawal headaches :/ Best way to avoid those symptoms, in my experience, is to (a) taper off and (b) have green tea! (I don't know why. Might be the small hit of caffeine plus good amount of water is good treatment for the withdrawal.)

As long as I stick to 1 coffee/day, though, I've been pretty okay. However, my bf has read and shared that our bodies get conditioned to caffeine and get lazy producing the neurotransmitters that wake us up ('cause they don't get used, 'cause we have caffeine in those spots!)...I may have felt this happening so I got myself some decaf for the mornings where I want the flavor of coffee but not necessarily the caffeine. But anxiety/headaches didn't contribute to that choice.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
Wow nice. I started doing this a few months ago, but I never knew star anise was an ingredient. We have loads of that stuff laying around.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!