Author Topic: Biden's policies debated ( formerly known as Biden outrage of the day )  (Read 319588 times)

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
Cavalier authoritarianism.  Not a good look.  Probably not written by Biden though, to be fair.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Cavalier authoritarianism.  Not a good look.  Probably not written by Biden though, to be fair.

Thank God the people who refuse to get vaccinated or wear a mask weren’t the ones being asked to make sacrifices for the war effort in WWII.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:

"Get vaccinated or wear a mask until you do"

I'm in full support of this approach, and giving people a binary option when we've had just one until recently (including under DJT) seems an improvement in personal freedom.

My biggest worry now is that a non-trivial number of people are going to lie about being vaccinated and go maskless in crowded spaces.  Granted the people it would put most at risk are other lying maskless individuals, but their despicable behavior is going to prolong the pandemic and put the immunocompromised (which includes two of my family members) at unnecessary risk.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache

Thank God the people who refuse to get vaccinated or wear a mask weren’t the ones being asked to make sacrifices for the war effort in WWII.
LOL a laughable comparison

JLee

• Walrus Stache

What’s next, is the government going to tell me I can’t walk on the interstate!? How DARE they make rules for the common good!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache

What’s next, is the government going to tell me I can’t walk on the interstate!? How DARE they make rules for the common good!
Gotta break a few eggs, amirite?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache

That's not a fair comparison. What was the penalty for draft dodging in WWII? What was the penalty for not wearing a mask?

Rules that aren't enforced aren't really rules in any practical sense. In Italy and the UK police were on the streets enforcing COVID lockdown rules. In the US of A state police agencies were issuing press releases talking about how they wouldn't be enforcing anything but the most egregious violations.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

That's not a fair comparison. What was the penalty for draft dodging in WWII? What was the penalty for not wearing a mask?

Rules that aren't enforced aren't really rules in any practical sense. In Italy and the UK police were on the streets enforcing COVID lockdown rules. In the US of A state police agencies were issuing press releases talking about how they wouldn't be enforcing anything but the most egregious violations.

This comparison made me look up the numbers.  Covid has killed more Americans than WW2 (586,000 - 407,316) and in a shorter period of time.  Which is kinda shocking.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Thoughts about Biden's continued support of Israel?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/05/17/israel-palestine-violence-fuels-tensions-among-democrats-washington/5125303001/

It sucks ass. Seriously sucks ass. But that is the US for you. Unwavering support for the apartheid state.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/05/17/israel-palestine-violence-fuels-tensions-among-democrats-washington/5125303001/

It sucks ass. Seriously sucks ass. But that is the US for you. Unwavering support for the apartheid state.

Apartheid states gotta stick together.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Biden's following standard US policy . . . ignore Israel's actions and blame the Palestinians for fighting back.

But it's getting really hard to swallow the arguments about 'terrorism' when Israel has killed ten times the number of civilians in this conflict so far.

Remember that this was a conflict triggered when the Israeli military raided the Al-Asqa mosque (one of the holiest sites of the Muslim religion) immediately before Ramadan, cut the power to the speakers used for the call to worship, and then kicked out the Muslims because the Israeli president was giving a speech nearby and Israeli officials were worried that the prayers might be too loud.  This in combination with the constant/continued theft of Palestinian lands by Jewish 'settlers' who (usually with support from the Israeli government) beat and terrorize Palestinians to force them out of land they've held for generations.  Followed by hundreds of Israelis marching through Jerusalem shouting 'death to Palestinians', and the Israeli military occupying force disrupting Ramadan by again raiding Al Asqa with rubber bullets and stun grenades because they were worried that people might throw stones at them.

So the Palestinians start shooting rockets at Israel - because they're evil terrorists I guess.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
It is difficult to sympathise with any state that takes aggressive measures for its own interests. Imperialism - whether by Israel or by the US - is not to be condoned. Imperialist policies are how you end up with chickens coming home to roost.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
But it's getting really hard to swallow the arguments about 'terrorism' when Israel has killed ten times the number of civilians in this conflict so far.
So the Palestinians start shooting rockets at Israel - because they're evil terrorists I guess.

Hamas is a terrorist organization. But as you pointed out Israel has killed more civilians. It's a little bit as if I pulled a pistol in public and started shooting so the police carpet bombed my neighborhood and then claimed that they did nothing wrong.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:47:05 PM by PDXTabs »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy

I don't see this the same way. I think Biden ['s Twitter account] is simply pointing out the logical implication of the CDC's policy announcement. The CDC has no actual power; they're merely stating what they think institutions should adopt as their policy. And Biden ['s Twitter account] isn't threatening anyone with state-mandated consequences; they're just pointing out how a person would behave if they follow the CDC's guidelines.

I suppose one could get tortuous around the "rule" word choice, but any informed person knows they're not personally going to face federal legal consequences based on mask wearing.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache

I don't see this the same way. I think Biden ['s Twitter account] is simply pointing out the logical implication of the CDC's policy announcement. The CDC has no actual power; they're merely stating what they think institutions should adopt as their policy. And Biden ['s Twitter account] isn't threatening anyone with state-mandated consequences; they're just pointing out how a person would behave if they follow the CDC's guidelines.

I suppose one could get tortuous around the "rule" word choice, but any informed person knows they're not personally going to face federal legal consequences based on mask wearing.

Yes and no. The Governors of OR and WA just copy and paste CDC guidelines into executive order.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy

Yes and no. The Governors of OR and WA just copy and paste CDC guidelines into executive order.

I live in Washington state. Not seeing any response to the CDC's mask guidance here. https://www.governor.wa.gov/office-governor/official-actions/executive-orders

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache

I thought different punctuation might have been better for that message. But even then, it's still not accurate. I'm not sure what the CDC says but over here you are not deemed to be fully vaccinated until two weeks after your final shot. It's not sensible to get rid of your mask on the way out of the vaccination centre. 

The rule is now simple: Get Vaccinated. Or wear a mask until you do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

Hamas is a terrorist organization. But as you pointed out Israel has killed more civilians. It's a little bit as if I pulled a pistol in public and started shooting so the police carpet bombed my neighborhood and then claimed that they did nothing wrong.

Israel is pretty clearly a terrorist organization.  The Israelis have been using unlawful violence and intimidation against Palestinian civilians for more than half a century now.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

Agree. It's a rare high-ranked U.S. politician that will make even the slightest attempt in policy (or even language) to pull back from support of Israel. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache

Israel is pretty clearly a terrorist organization.  The Israelis have been using unlawful violence and intimidation against Palestinian civilians for more than half a century now.

You won't get any disagreement out of me.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache

I live in Washington state. Not seeing any response to the CDC's mask guidance here. https://www.governor.wa.gov/office-governor/official-actions/executive-orders

I too have noticed that they are very slow at uploading them. Here's the press conference from five days ago.

EDITed to add - or maybe he didn't even need to sign another one because one from last year just says "follow CDC guidelines."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:31:47 AM by PDXTabs »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
I wondered when this topic would start and I always assumed that the first issue would be kids in cages.  In one of the "Should I have a political litmus test for family/friends/contractors" topics, someone mentioned that they couldn't talk to republicans because Trump put kids in cages.  When I mentioned that the cages were built and originally used by Obama, it became that they couldn't be friends with republicans because of the number of kids in cages.  Now that Biden has crushed that record number of kids due to his policies, I just want to say lp.org is your place for the libertarian party.

What's the official Libertarian Party policy on border crossing?

Traditionally many libertarians have argued that since crossing a border harms no-one (and state boundaries are arbitrary and enforced with violence), there should be completely open borders - in accordance with the non-aggression principal.
I have not heard that “traditional argument” and while I will not doubt your word, I will argue against it being a good libertarian POV.

Defending the national borders is the  single most important role of the Feds in libertarian view.

I suppose you could and will argue that undocumented workers/illegal entrants do no real harm that is necessary to defend us from, but I disagree.

Edited to add: mea culpa, i am wrong in that apparently the official Libertarian Party platform is to oppose border control.

Well. I now fancy myself a better Libertarian than those guys.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:16:38 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
I am not keen on President Biden’s  support of a practice that lets law enforcement break into someone’s  home warentless and take their guns.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that law enforcement cannot legally enter homes without a warrant even in cases where doing so may benefit the public interest, striking down the suggestion from law enforcement and the Biden administration that doing so under a “community caretaking” exception would be justified.

https://time.com/6048974/supreme-court-police-warrants-caniglia-strom/

I cannot be surprised at Daddy Joe’s tender hearted wish to save us feom ourselves but I admit to,being surprised that even the lefty members of the Supreme Court found this to be a step too far.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:18:40 AM by iris lily »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
I cannot be surprised at Daddy Joe’s tender hearted wish to save us feom ourselves but I admit to,being surprised that even the lefty members of the Supreme Court found this to be a step too far.

Due process is a real thing in the USA. It's actually what caused most of the Trump executive orders to get thrown out AFAIK. Which is to say that a lot of Trump's misguided policies were not thrown out for being flatly illegal, but for being implemented "wrong" with respect to public comment and due process.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache

Due process is a real thing in the USA. It's actually what caused most of the Trump executive orders to get thrown out AFAIK. Which is to say that a lot of Trump's misguided policies were not thrown out for being flatly illegal, but for being implemented "wrong" with respect to public comment and due process.

thank you for bringing  this thread back to what it is really about, the evil machinations of Donald Trump.

We all know there are no serious concerns about  Joe Biden so why pretend a thread?

But that said yes, due process is critically important and isnt it great that principle prevailed in this Supreme Court case!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

You won't get any disagreement out of me.

Nor me. Apartheid is apartheid.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Israel is pretty clearly a terrorist organization.

Along those lines, I highly recommend watching The Hit Parade and would remind everyone that Benjamin Netanyahu was one of the Sayeret Matkal commandos that raided Sabena Flight 571. He's a special forces hardened hawk.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache

Ah, you're one of those people. Why don't you say what you really mean?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

I'm pretty sure that I did.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache

And don't forget--WWII was mostly about American casualties.  Which is why it's the same as COVID.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
Tell us all what you think should be done to terrorists. Since you just said all Israelis are terrorists, tell us what you think should happen to all those people living in Israel.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy

I too have noticed that they are very slow at uploading them. Here's the press conference from five days ago.

EDITed to add - or maybe he didn't even need to sign another one because one from last year just says "follow CDC guidelines."

There's a difference between "executive order" and "something the governor said." The governor of Washington did not "copy and paste" any CDC guidance into an executive order. Words mean things.

Anyway I am not the intended audience for this thread so I will bow out.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy

I thought different punctuation might have been better for that message. But even then, it's still not accurate. I'm not sure what the CDC says but over here you are not deemed to be fully vaccinated until two weeks after your final shot. It's not sensible to get rid of your mask on the way out of the vaccination centre. 

The rule is now simple: Get Vaccinated. Or wear a mask until you do.

I really do not get the outrage about this tweet. It's a tweet. It's 280 characters. It seems unreasonable to expect the president's Twitter feed to reiterate that the vaccine takes two weeks to take effect in every single tweet about the vaccine. I don't think most people are getting their news from the president's Twitter feed.

Anyway, as I said in my last post, I am not the intended audience for this thread so I will bow out.

former player

• Walrus Stache
Tell us all what you think should be done to terrorists. Since you just said all Israelis are terrorists, tell us what you think should happen to all those people living in Israel.
He didn'd say all Israelis are terrorists, he said Israel is a terrorist organisation.  Very different.

A terrorist organisation uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.  Seems to fit the bill to me, given that the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories is contrary to international law.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
To the extent that Israel displays terrorist traits, so does the U.S.

Any country that tries to throw its weight around and be imperialist needs to watch out for the chickens coming home to roost.

former player

• Walrus Stache
To the extent that Israel displays terrorist traits, so does the U.S.

Any country that tries to throw its weight around and be imperialist needs to watch out for the chickens coming home to roost.
Agreed.

(I think this might be a first.)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
while the number of kids in Biden Cages may have decreased, It's decreasing from a high Biden created with his own feckless policy, and the overall level is still elevated.

Not to mention transferring the kids into places unknown and detention-centers-by-another-name isn't solving the problem, just moving it so it's harder to track and hold him accountable; not to mention that the border situation as a whole has fallen apart since Biden took office.

So while the number may have gone down, the situation is a mess and Biden is not effectively addressing it. But you wouldn't be deliberately obfuscating the Biden border crisis with one cherry picked statistic, would you?

Yes it seems the Biden admin is playing a shell game and "hiding" the kids in another tent next to the now empty tent the kids just came from. Linked to Dem rep from TX explaining just that.

https://youtu.be/bUgZhm0G_Fc

All this tells me is politicians and people in general are hypocrites - shocking!! /s

It's 100% this, I have a family member who was pulled out of their 6 figure professional Fed role and over the past month or so has been flown to multiple locations to babysit these children at non CPB non-cage (more like barracks) facilities.  On top of that govt is footing costs for air, hotels, cars, $65/day per diem, and overtime.   All to hide the problem that nobody in the administration wanted to talk about.

former player

• Walrus Stache
while the number of kids in Biden Cages may have decreased, It's decreasing from a high Biden created with his own feckless policy, and the overall level is still elevated.

Not to mention transferring the kids into places unknown and detention-centers-by-another-name isn't solving the problem, just moving it so it's harder to track and hold him accountable; not to mention that the border situation as a whole has fallen apart since Biden took office.

So while the number may have gone down, the situation is a mess and Biden is not effectively addressing it. But you wouldn't be deliberately obfuscating the Biden border crisis with one cherry picked statistic, would you?

Yes it seems the Biden admin is playing a shell game and "hiding" the kids in another tent next to the now empty tent the kids just came from. Linked to Dem rep from TX explaining just that.

All this tells me is politicians and people in general are hypocrites - shocking!! /s

It's 100% this, I have a family member who was pulled out of their 6 figure professional Fed role and over the past month or so has been flown to multiple locations to babysit these children at non CPB non-cage (more like barracks) facilities.  On top of that govt is footing costs for air, hotels, cars, $65/day per diem, and overtime.   All to hide the problem that nobody in the administration wanted to talk about.
What's your alternative?  It takes time to put in place a rational decently funded administrative system whether for immigration or anything else.  It also takes time to put in place policies to help people stay in place without starving because of climate change.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Biden Outrage of the day
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2021, 06:41:57 AM »
Would Pfizer have developed their vaccine with the government billion dollar guarantee? If not, then your argument is moot. Money is money.

Now lives are also lives, and are more important than money (whether American, Indian, or Brazilian), thus my agreement with the Biden choice to waive the patents.

So how far do we want to take this?  Certainly when companies have invested enough money and research into auto driving cars, the technology will save lives.  If lives are more important than money then will we invalidate Tesla's patent on any auto driving technology and reassure ourselves that we are doing a good decision because Tesla is worth $600B and will "be fine"?

I could pick any number of industries and companies who are quite well off and whose products could potentially save lives if provided cheaply to everyone.  If all your company has essentially is the IP it has invested in, then taking that IP is sort of nationalizing the company.

I would argue that tesla wouldn't exist without the massive government subsidies/loans it received early on or from the massive tax credit revenue it currently receives....only reason it makes money.

But with regard to the vaccine, it's the stupidest thing I have ever heard and 100% jeopardizes investment in innovation and R&D.   Not to mention its a complex process to manufacture these vaccines and any new facility would take 2 years to get up and running.....just stupid when they can have the existing companies (which have facilities or relationships through the globe) make more.

Also, the IP issue really isn't about the vaccine itself it's about the mRNA technology that has far reaching prospects and has been in the making for more than 2 decades....covid was the first real opportunity to have success and be commercially viable....that has likely accelerated potential other applications.   That cannot be given away.

Again the stupidest thing I have ever heard.   Might as well be Russia or China of that happens.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache

What's your alternative?  It takes time to put in place a rational decently funded administrative system whether for immigration or anything else.  It also takes time to put in place policies to help people stay in place without starving because of climate change.

It's a self inflicted wound that didn't need to happen so there shouldn't have been a need to put a system in place.   But we have an organization already that is well equipped to mobilize large resources of temporary nature for housing, food, medical, etc.....the military (active or national guard) that we are already paying for could have handled this effectively just like they did with vaccine rollout.   And the children could have been better cared for in a centralized location. 

Regardless, the shell game was purely political bc it was not a good look.   

Tyler durden

• Bristles

It's a self inflicted wound that didn't need to happen so there shouldn't have been a need to put a system in place.   But we have an organization already that is well equipped to mobilize large resources of temporary nature for housing, food, medical, etc.....the military (active or national guard) that we are already paying for could have handled this effectively just like they did with vaccine rollout.   And the children could have been better cared for in a centralized location. 

Regardless, the shell game was purely political bc it was not a good look.

Self inflicted indeed. There was that whole remain in Mexico policy that seemed to be helping a great deal, which Biden shut down day 1, because reasons.

Biden is embracing the Anti trump role to much. Dude, we get it your not trump, thats why your in the whitehouse. But some policies work, even if orange man implemented them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
He didn'd say all Israelis are terrorists, he said Israel is a terrorist organisation.  Very different.

A terrorist organisation uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.  Seems to fit the bill to me, given that the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories is contrary to international law.

Yes, this is generally the thrust of what I was getting at.

In news coverage I regularly see talk about Hamas being a terrorist organization . . . because it targets Israeli civilians.  This does happen, and I don't want to minimize the hurt that this causes.  But Israel has also been indiscriminately executing civilians throughout this conflict.  I don't buy the 'oopsies, we have accidentally killed fifty odd children so far but we really meant to kill the bad Hamas guys' from Israel any more than I buy the 'oopsies, we accidentally killed a couple civilians by wildly firing rockets into Tel Aviv, but we really meant to kill those Israelis who are oppressing us' from Hamas.  They're both bullshit.  But it's distressing to see only one sides terrorism being acknowledged.  Especially when the other side is responsible for so much greater civilian death.

I don't believe that all Israelis are terrorists, just as I don't believe that all Palestinians are terrorists.  But the ones who are causing the deaths of civilians in order to advance their political aims certainly are.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
So what action should Biden take? This thread is about Biden policies after all, so let's stay on topic. When ISIS was declared terrorist, that gave authorization to wipe out their command and control structure and military assets. You just declared the entire nation of Israel terrorist. Will you support Biden wiping out the government and military of Israel since you've declared it to be a terrorist organization?

former player

• Walrus Stache
So what action should Biden take? This thread is about Biden policies after all, so let's stay on topic. When ISIS was declared terrorist, that gave authorization to wipe out their command and control structure and military assets. You just declared the entire nation of Israel terrorist. Will you support Biden wiping out the government and military of Israel since you've declared it to be a terrorist organization?
He should require it to comply with the law, of course.  He could start by stopping funding it untl it does.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
He should require it to comply with the law, of course.  He could start by stopping funding it untl it does.

Agreed.

At the very least Biden should refuse to provide military aid (3.8 billion annually, last I checked) or to fulfill military contracts with Israel until Israel stops their oppression of the Palestinians.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
I am not keen on President Biden’s  support of a practice that lets law enforcement break into someone’s  home warentless and take their guns.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that law enforcement cannot legally enter homes without a warrant even in cases where doing so may benefit the public interest, striking down the suggestion from law enforcement and the Biden administration that doing so under a “community caretaking” exception would be justified.

https://time.com/6048974/supreme-court-police-warrants-caniglia-strom/

Huh? Thats strange, it's generally lefties that are against overreaching power of the state, while "conserviates" love it. 

If you find that sentence strange, then I point you to one thing: It mostly depends on where the thing is aimed at. Since "the state" is mostly right wing in most countries, lefts are generally at the pointed end of the stick.

At the very least Biden should refuse to provide military aid (3.8 billion annually, last I checked) or to fulfill military contracts with Israel until Israel stops their oppression of the Palestinians.

Won't happen though. Israel is (not without reasons) of the opinion that this will just lead to their annihilation.

As long as there is only one leader (and there will always be one, on both sides) that waits for a good chance to win a war, the fighting will not end.

Creating Isreal was the worst decision the UN ever made. You can't make an injustice from 2000 years ago going away by making the same injustice to the descendents of the perpetrators from ancient times.

There are 3 ways to solve this conflict: A) everyone wants to male happy peace (hahaha!) B) Israel becoming several times stronger as it already is, capable of conquering the whole arabian area (which they likely will do in that case) or C) by Israel being annihilated (which is prevented by mostly USA, but also Germany and other states).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:09:56 AM by LennStar »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
There's a difference between "executive order" and "something the governor said." The governor of Washington did not "copy and paste" any CDC guidance into an executive order. Words mean things.

Anyway I am not the intended audience for this thread so I will bow out.

The WA State Secretary of Health is claiming that WA Executive Order 20-05 gives her the right to issue this order, which is the copy/paste of the recommendations from Biden's CDC. So I guess you are technically correct, it was the Secretary of Health, not the Governor that did the copy/paste.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:48:01 AM by PDXTabs »

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
Which law? Nations all get to make their own laws and every nation regularly just plays by whatever rules they want. The US deploys military assets whenever they want regardless of laws. France is legendary for protecting French citizens from international extradition even for crimes as heinous as child rape. Japan holds people in jails that are straight out of WWII torture camps after farse trials that yield 99.9% conviction rates. Every country makes it up as they go along, there is no world government that actually has the legal authority to force every nation to do the same thing.

As for Biden: Biden keeps to 'quiet diplomacy' as calls for Israel-Hamas cease-fire ramp up. This is how you do diplomacy. You don't call all the Jews terrorists. You don't call for the annihilation of the country. Quiet, peace-targeted diplomacy. This is quite honestly the opposite of a Biden outrage. Biden's doing the mature and sensible thing here right now. Maybe I'm in the wrong thread to be praising the president, but I think it bears mentioning.