Author Topic: Best men's watches?  (Read 40157 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Re: Best men's watches?
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2013, 11:55:43 PM »
(My opinion is) the larger point of all this is to question your assumptions and critically analyze your decisions.  We are here on this forum to help each other with that.

Anytime anyone asks if they should buy something here (and I realize that's not exactly what you asked, and that you've been taking this all with good humor), I don't do you any good if I just say "Sure, sounds fine to me."  I try to challenge the assumptions you've made and the conclusions you've reached.

If, after all of the feedback, you still believe it's the right move, then you can walk away knowing that you decision has faced scrutiny.  It's not a guarantee that you are taking the right action, but it helps.  That's what I look for here, anyway.

Back on topic, I know many of the people over at watchuseek, and it is the best place on the internet for advice on watches.

This: "(My opinion is) the larger point of all this is to question your assumptions and critically analyze your decisions.  We are here on this forum to help each other with that. "

Watchmaker, total agreement. That's what keeps brining me back! I want to make sure I'm being a conscious consumer.

And for the record - watchuseek is an incredible place! Wow! Everyone was so darn nice even though I'm such a newb to the world of watches! They even helped me bring down the price while maintaining style ;) Love those people!!!!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2013, 02:24:44 AM »
We all have the things that bring us pleasure, and we pay for them when we can't get them for free. Isn't it ok to be Mustachian and budget for things? Get out of debt, and then spend your money where you want while maintaining a very high savings rate?

+1 million. YES.

This is why I found Hybrid's comment a little harsh, and I've wanted to post something like libraryjoy said above, but I just couldn't articulate it.

I'm saving 75% of my income and have no debt. So do I deserve facepunches for all non-essential spending, even though I consider it carefully, budget for it and still meet my savings rate? Are the commenters who are saying libraryjoy is an idiot for buying her BF/fiance a $250 watch, saying that they never, ever spend on anything that is non-essential? In which case I assume that everyone is living on $7k a year, ERE style, and will be retired within five years...

Personally, I think that if you're not in debt, you're saving a high percentage of your income and you're spending mindfully on things that actually matter to you (whether that's crossfit, travel, or yes, watches, makes no difference) then you're good. Your decision about how much to spend on non-essentials depends on how long you're happy to work for. You can spend a little more and work longer, or spend less and work for a shorter period of your life. As long as you're meeting the conditions of saving a high percentage of your income, not carrying debt and making sure that your spending is in line with your values, I would consider that Mustachian.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:30:45 AM by HappierAtHome »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »
2) Does Mustachianism = extreme frugality forever? It's an honest question. I think I'm confused about what it really means to subscribe to the mustachian way of life. And hey - maybe it's not for me! Maybe I've confused it with some less extreme way of living. But in my mind, it was always a way to maximize your happiness and be efficient with your money and way of living. There are so many things in life that I could technically live without - but, is that how I want to live? Heck, no. MMM himself describes his current house as bigger than he needs. MMM drinks alcohol (I almost never do). We all have the things that bring us pleasure, and we pay for them when we can't get them for free. Isn't it ok to be Mustachian and budget for things? Get out of debt, and then spend your money where you want while maintaining a very high savings rate?
No, I think you've got the spirit of the thing just about right. An awful lot of people have chosen this hill to die on, though. Peculiar.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2013, 06:44:31 AM »
Wellllllll, story has changed a little, or I'm missing something.  Before, OP commented that she was not out of debt.  Now purchase is happening when she is out of debt and has the cash for it.

I still offer the cautionary tale about overdoing it on "special occasions", and if I recall OP has admitted to a history of overdoing it on special occasions before, which gives me pause.  Perhaps I am overreacting.  Or perhaps I've simply picked up on a pattern I've seen before.  Like I said, I'm from a family that has pulled out the "special occasion" card more than once to justify what was ultimately a waste of money.  Again, at the end of the day it's a tool toy that is less useful than a prepaid cell phone.  For a couple starting out, boy, I'd really rather have that cash in my emergency fund instead.  One day they may want to put a downpayment on a house.  An extra $250-500 will sure come in handy then.

To each their own and I'll drop it now, I've made my case. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2013, 07:08:38 AM »
Hybrid, I agree with you. I'd rather put $50 in the bank than spend $50 on just about anything, and those $50 decisions can cumulate in a good or bad way very quickly. I think it was extremely appropriate for you/other commenters to say hey, have you really thought about this? I think it's good to challenge assumptions, especially because in this case the OP lowered her budget as a result. Good outcome!

But given that she's out of debt... I just suspect that we're all spending money on SOMETHING we want rather than need, even though that is illogical from a purely financial point of view... And if buying presents is libraryjoy's kind of crack, I think that's no better or worse than it being wine, travel or those ugly-ass ballerina figurines people seem to love. What's up with those things? Seems like they'd be a pain to dust.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »
Well I'll admit something.  I like watches.  I collect them.

I have 3.  What?  You don't have to have a lot of something to collect it.

But I've spent a fair amount of time on watch forums and the like here and there.

First, understand appreciation of watches is done for a variety of reasons.  I tend to like Japanese automatic movements for whatever reason.

That said, my favorite watch is my Casio Tough Solar Mudman.  It weighs nothing, it's super comfortable, it's big enough (I do have a big manly wrist XD), and I've had it for years now.

It's quite fancy, I honestly don't need half of its capabilities but no digital watch exists that seems to match my exact needs perfectly so I expect surplus features.

The cheaper G Shocks from Casio are probably the height of a watch that's actually functional, to be honest.

I have one watch that's from a weird little run from a government surplus with a Miyota movement.  It's a super simple pilot's style face.  I love how gloriously simple and analog it is.  It has no date, no chrono, just one knob.  Rugged as all get out too, but admittedly a very silly purchase.

The watch I wear to the office the most is a Seiko Orange Monster.  Admittedly it's silly to not be a diver and wear a diver's watch, but the things that make it a good diver's watch also make it a good regular all purpose watch.  This one is about the style, function, design, etc. and it's considered a classic men's watch, and every watch enthusiast seems to have at least one.

I'm not sure how long I've had it but they're known for their longevity, there's people who got theirs in the 1970s still wearing them.  The way they're styled isn't for everyone but it's timeless.

That said it's not really a very dressy watch, I don't wear it to important meetings.

None of these are horrifically expensive, but they're not cheap either.  They're all much nicer than you actually need for everyday functionality but the analogs should outlast their next owner, or possibly next two owners if you get them maintained once every 2 decades.

I do kind of want one more watch eventually, a socially acceptable "dress watch", and I think my Miyota watch with the right strap would work, but I'm in no hurry.  Honestly I'm pretty happy with these.  I might not get another one.  But I most recommend the Seiko Orange Monster (or Black Monster if you don't like orange) or a Casio G Shock if you like tough watches or those with interesting designs.  I'm not really an expert on the pretty watches, I like the functional ones, though I like the Orange Monster's styling personally.

You just sort of either get it or you don't with watches and I accept it's indulgent but reading about the movements and how they work and the history of the companies and the different kinds of movements and complications is a fun little pastime.  It's funny to me I take as much pleasure in my small relatively inexpensive collection as some do in their large very expensive collections.

And I'll confess I don't wear one every day either because I'm surrounded constantly by clocks all day, but I used to wear one of these all the time.

When I'm out and about or otherwise at large I tend to wear one though.

Herr Handlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Novice Mustachian Getting Less Novice Everyday
    • Becoming Mustachian: One Family's Journey Toward Early Retirement
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
I think there's three main camps.

This conversation would never be complete without a discussion of the Wheaton Eco-Scale better summed up by Jacob than I in http://earlyretirementextreme.com/how-i-live-on-7000-per-year.html

The Wheaton Eco-scale explains this in a brilliant way. Consider people living at different budgets, e.g. $100k, $80k, $60k, $50k, $40k, $30k $20k, $15k, $10k, $7.5k, $5k, $2.5, $1k, and $0k. Now, what Wheaton observes is that people who spend one or two levels below you are inspiring to you in terms of budget reductions. People who spend three levels below you are slightly nutty and people who spend four or more levels below your level are crazy or downright extreme. This holds no matter where you are. If you spend 60k, then 50k and 40k is inspiring, 30k is nutty and 20k is crazy. If you spend 30k, then 20k and 15k is inspiring, 10k is nutty, and 7.5k is crazy. Conversely, people who spend a couple of levels above you are considered prodigal and wasteful

If this ever turns into a forum where a thread about planning to drop $1,000 on a watch (while still, technically, being on fire with debt) does not elicit a facepunch I will stop reading. I've made horribly wasteful decisions this year including a trip to Hawaii that could have been more frugal and some extravagant food stuffs. I should get punched in the face for this stuff. I've also managed a year to date 70%+ savings rate and have a positive net-worth.

It does seem a good opportunity to discuss your mustachian aspirations with your husband to be. Explaining why it isn't in either of your interests to spend extravagant sums on jewelry (a ring or a watch) might be the start of getting him in your mustachian camp. It took me a bit of time to get Frau Handlebar committed but she is now committed with gusto. She was pretty frugal coming in though. When we got married (pre-mustache) we opted out of the complete and utter nonsense that is the diamond engagement ring. We made a concession to society though and acquired a ring with a similar looking silicon-carbide crystal for significantly lower cost. My wedding band was $70, although it currently rests under the serene blue waters of Kiholo Bay on the island of Hawaii.

And, for what it is worth, my watch of choice is the Casio F91W. Introduced in 1991 the F91W is widely available throughout the world with prices that are in the range of $7.50 to $15. Great watch.

polleradam

« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:10 AM »
You should check out Fossil brand as they've got some great collection of men's watches!