Author Topic: Because I'd feel weird and boastful announcing this to IRL friends...  (Read 11795 times)

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Because I'd feel weird and boastful announcing this to IRL friends...
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
Congrats. We paid off our house and it was a huge step forward on the path to financial independence.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 05:25:52 PM »
Congratulations, homeowner!!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
A belated congrats - just when rates are creeping higher, which is a win-win for sure!!

igetit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
That is just super!  Congratulations on achieving this milestone.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
We actually attempted the mortgage-burning party back in 2010 I think (we finished paying it off as a birthday present to me, jeez, what dorks). Initial responses from our friends IRL were... not good. We canceled that idea.

What I'm trying to say is, great job Kris! Enjoy it!

-W

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 05:44:48 AM »
Yeah, nice one!  I know it's possibly not the best investment, but we did it and sleep better for it. Peace of mind makes it worthwhile.

Enjoy...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »
We actually attempted the mortgage-burning party back in 2010 I think (we finished paying it off as a birthday present to me, jeez, what dorks). Initial responses from our friends IRL were... not good. We canceled that idea.

-W

Maybe host a BBQ/cookout and then spring it on them... Oh by the way we are announcing...

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »
Congrats. Achievement unlocked.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:50 AM »

-W

I don't want to derail, but surely other people here are as curious as I am about the sorta responses you received?

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »

-W

I don't want to derail, but surely other people here are as curious as I am about the sorta responses you received?
I'm curious too. I told a friend about a year after, when directly asked how much longer I had on my mortgage, that it was paid. The response was encouraging, IRL most people I know don't like mortgages.

I can't imagine too much poor response IRL, although I haven't told people because I was concerned about those not good responses. So...I guess I'm ignorant and curious.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »

-W

I'm curious too. I told a friend about a year after, when directly asked how much longer I had on my mortgage, that it was paid. The response was encouraging, IRL most people I know don't like mortgages.

I can't imagine too much poor response IRL, although I haven't told people because I was concerned about those not good responses. So...I guess I'm ignorant and curious.

If I had to guess, I'd say the reaction was jealousy, which expressed itself outward as hostility toward Waltworks and accusations that he was being a boastful a-hole to shove it in people's faces like that and expect them to come to a party whose sole purpose was to gloat.

Sigh.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
Well, I mean don't people have house-warming parties anymore? I thought they did.

Isn't that just a big "come check out our big new purchase!" party? It seems illogical that it's considered acceptable to celebrate incurring debt, but not acceptable to celebrate eliminating debt. I am not a big Dave Ramsey fan, but I like the idea of celebrating being mortgage-free.

And people have retirement parties? Isn't the message there "I worked my butt off for a long time, so come celebrate my accomplishments"? It sounds pretty damn close to a mortgage-burning party to me, thematically at least.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
Where is boarder42 when you need him?!

Totally kidding, that is amazing... congrats!!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »

-W

If I had to guess, I'd say the reaction was jealousy, which expressed itself outward as hostility toward Waltworks and accusations that he was being a boastful a-hole to shove it in people's faces like that and expect them to come to a party whose sole purpose was to gloat.

Sigh.

I had a good friend that sold assets to pay off his mortgage in 2009!  Bought a 400k house with the proceeds of stock sales.  He probably felt OK with the decision at the time we were discussing it, although I did mention that he was now sitting on a 400k illiquid asset.  I was in the market for a house, but was only going to put the 20% minimum down and keep what I had in the stock market.  I visited him recently - certainly doesn't look like a million+ dollar home :)

Reminds me of those employees during the 90's tech boom that sold shares to buy a fancy car, then laugh that they now have a half-million dollar Porsche.

To each their own, but I do hope you aren't 'overweighted' in illiquid assets / low yield bonds for your age.

Just saying all this so you don't assume everyone you talk to is financially illiterate or jealous, some folks may know what they are talking about and think a young person bypassing today's cheap borrowing / relatively generous equity + yield environment is short-sighted.  Maybe not 2009 crazy, in hindsight, but you never know.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »
Congrats! We just finished with my student loan and have been contemplating paying down the mortgage vs. investing our new surplus into the market. With rates creeping up (ours adjusts in 2020) and closing costs out of control (last time I checked they wanted over 4% of what we owe in closing costs) it might be the right decision. Cheers!

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »
Just saying all this so you don't assume everyone you talk to is financially illiterate or jealous, some folks may know what they are talking about and think a young person bypassing today's cheap borrowing / relatively generous equity + yield environment is short-sighted.  Maybe not 2009 crazy, in hindsight, but you never know.

If someone wouldn't come to the mortgage burning party because they are that concerned about the person's portfolio, that's a whole other level of crazy and probably not a friend.

Poor reaction to the idea of the party points towards ignorance more than fine-tuned financial knowledge.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Hey collectively (in this forum) we've seen some weird stuff over the past decade or so. Basically everything discussed in the "Anti-Mustachian Shame and Comedy" department.

No wonder that people might react badly to being invited to someones' mortgage burning party. Just doesn't fit in the same with housewarming parties or new car debt parties.

Opening debt is better than closing debt. Right? What do you mean you don't have any debt? That doesn't make sense!!!  ;)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2018, 06:42:38 AM »

-W

Sigh.

That's weird. My friends would be ecstatic for us if we had a mortgage burning party. But I guess my friends aren't typical. We have one set of close friends who made it their goal to have a paid-off house before they were 30, and we were there to celebrate with them when they succeeded. I have another close friend who lives in a bus that she paid $7K for and renovated. And another couple who are one track to retire by 40 (we discovered MMM independently and were thrilled to learn that we were both working to FIRE). My boss is also an MMM-reader and he's recommended it to all of my co-workers (most of them are reasonable with their money, but not necessarily frugal). Yeah, now that I think about, my friends aren't typical at all.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2018, 07:18:43 AM »

-W

Sigh.

That's weird. My friends would be ecstatic for us if we had a mortgage burning party. But I guess my friends aren't typical. We have one set of close friends who made it their goal to have a paid-off house before they were 30, and we were there to celebrate with them when they succeeded. I have another close friend who lives in a bus that she paid $7K for and renovated. And another couple who are one track to retire by 40 (we discovered MMM independently and were thrilled to learn that we were both working to FIRE). My boss is also an MMM-reader and he's recommended it to all of my co-workers (most of them are reasonable with their money, but not necessarily frugal). Yeah, now that I think about, my friends aren't typical at all.

Your boss is a fan of a blog promoting FIRE and recommends it to his employee's? I don't know what kind of business you're in, but they may not be around much longer.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »

-W

Sigh.

Your boss is a fan of a blog promoting FIRE and recommends it to his employee's? I don't know what kind of business you're in, but they may not be around much longer.

He owns a consulting firm that he started 14 years ago. Business isn't going anywhere. He could quit at any time, but he loves the business and he's really good at it. I'm 100% positive that I'm the only one in the office who is planning to retire in my 40s, but the reality is that MMM offers a sober look at finances, freedom, recognition of opportunities, and a level-headed approach to risk-taking. My boss doesn't want anyone at this job just because they need the paycheck. I respect him for that, and I hope this is the job that I retire from.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »

Sigh.
Very nice response. I will stick with my silence strategy. I can still host parties for other things I suppose, it makes me wonder wat the list of acceptable vs. non-acceptable would be.

Acceptable party reasons:
Wedding
Divorce
Housewarming
Getting Older
Baby showers
Friday's

Unacceptable
Paying off a mortgage (improving fiscal resilience)
Retiring Early (under 55?)

Any other unacceptable reasons? its seems like a short list.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »

At that point in time, my wife and I were graduate students/pseudo professional athletes (ok, with the benefit of hindsight: wannabe professional athletes). Our friends were mostly penniless graduate students and penniless mountain bike racers who lived in shared student-ghetto rental houses.

The idea of *having* a mortgage or owning a home was pretty foreign to the whole crowd. So yes, the initial reaction when we mentioned the mortgage-burning party was disbelief followed by jealousy. Now, nobody would have outright been a jerk about it or immediately terminated the friendship or anything. But it became clear to us pretty fast that it would harm our relationships with most of our friends to, so to speak, rub their faces in our financial success.

We now live around a ton of really rich people (or, at least, people who earn a ton of money - doctors, IT pros, etc) and it's still awkward because we're the couple that are both volunteering at school and coaching sports teams and out in the middle of the day mountain biking or skiing while all our neighbors are working 60 hours a week. Everyone around here assumes we're trustfunders but since we have basically zero nice possessions they also think maybe we're dirt poor.

I think if you really are financially literate and have FIRE as a goal/have achieved FIRE, you are always going to deal with some level of awkwardness when it comes to discussing money with your friends/family/neighbors. I mean, our neighbors who work their asses off and never see their kids have 3 BMWs in the garage. We ride our bikes and own one car worth maybe $1000 if you're extremely generous. Things get awkward fast when lifestyles and financial choices are that different, but for me it makes more sense to just not talk about money (this includes throwing a party involving paying off a mortgage) in situations where it will cause problems.

-W

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »

Sigh.
Very nice response. I will stick with my silence strategy. I can still host parties for other things I suppose, it makes me wonder wat the list of acceptable vs. non-acceptable would be.

Wedding
Divorce
Housewarming
Getting Older
Baby showers
Friday's

Unacceptable

I'm not sure that divorces should be a cause for celebration.  "I made a really bad decision and now have to break my oath.  Let's party?"

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »

Sigh.

Wedding
Divorce
Housewarming
Getting Older
Baby showers
Friday's

Unacceptable

I'm not sure that divorces should be a cause for celebration.  "I made a really bad decision and now have to break my oath.  Let's party?"

Yep. A divorce-party would be much more poorly received in my social group than a mortgage-burning party.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »

At that point in time, my wife and I were graduate students/pseudo professional athletes (ok, with the benefit of hindsight: wannabe professional athletes). Our friends were mostly penniless graduate students and penniless mountain bike racers who lived in shared student-ghetto rental houses.

The idea of *having* a mortgage or owning a home was pretty foreign to the whole crowd. So yes, the initial reaction when we mentioned the mortgage-burning party was disbelief followed by jealousy. Now, nobody would have outright been a jerk about it or immediately terminated the friendship or anything. But it became clear to us pretty fast that it would harm our relationships with most of our friends to, so to speak, rub their faces in our financial success.

We now live around a ton of really rich people (or, at least, people who earn a ton of money - doctors, IT pros, etc) and it's still awkward because we're the couple that are both volunteering at school and coaching sports teams and out in the middle of the day mountain biking or skiing while all our neighbors are working 60 hours a week. Everyone around here assumes we're trustfunders but since we have basically zero nice possessions they also think maybe we're dirt poor.

I think if you really are financially literate and have FIRE as a goal/have achieved FIRE, you are always going to deal with some level of awkwardness when it comes to discussing money with your friends/family/neighbors. I mean, our neighbors who work their asses off and never see their kids have 3 BMWs in the garage. We ride our bikes and own one car worth maybe $1000 if you're extremely generous. Things get awkward fast when lifestyles and financial choices are that different, but for me it makes more sense to just not talk about money (this includes throwing a party involving paying off a mortgage) in situations where it will cause problems.

-W

I definitely don't live among people like that. I get that it's a thing, but it's a thing that we consciously avoid. I don't want our children to grow up thinking that's normal.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »

Sigh.

Wedding
Divorce
Housewarming
Getting Older
Baby showers
Friday's

Unacceptable

Funny, isn't it - Weddings, Housewarmings, and Baby showers could also be taken as "being a boastful a-hole to shove it in people's faces like that and expect them to come to a party whose sole purpose was to gloat" to Singles / Renters / Childless people, but people don't tend to think this way because it would be a bit uncharitable and ridiculous. But finances seem to trigger this jealousy for some reason...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »

Sigh.

Wedding
Divorce
Housewarming
Getting Older
Baby showers
Friday's

Unacceptable

Funny, isn't it - Weddings, Housewarmings, and Baby showers could also be taken as "being a boastful a-hole to shove it in people's faces like that and expect them to come to a party whose sole purpose was to gloat" to Singles / Renters / Childless people, but people don't tend to think this way because it would be a bit uncharitable and ridiculous. But finances seem to trigger this jealousy for some reason...

Yup. And it's even okay to "celebrate" something like "buying" (read: signing a loan on) a new, expensive car or house. Just not paying them off.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
I definitely don't live among people like that. I get that it's a thing, but it's a thing that we consciously avoid. I don't want our children to grow up thinking that's normal.

That is a consequence of living in a ski/mountain town. You have your idle rich/actual trustfunders,  you have people who make big bucks and work a lot, and you have ski bums/dudes who bus tables to afford to ski 100 days a season.

Really, this is going to be the case basically anywhere I'd want to live. C'est la vie.

I don't think intelligent children with parents who care are going to be harmed by growing up around rich people, workaholics, or even ski bums.

-W

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »

That is a consequence of living in a ski/mountain town. You have your idle rich/actual trustfunders,  you have people who make big bucks and work a lot, and you have ski bums/dudes who bus tables to afford to ski 100 days a season.

Really, this is going to be the case basically anywhere I'd want to live. C'est la vie.

I don't think intelligent children with parents who care are going to be harmed by growing up around rich people, workaholics, or even ski bums.

-W

I mostly agree with you, but I know from experience that it can be tough for kids to ditch the influence of their peers, even if their behavior isn't modeled by the parents. My parents were well-educated and well-mannered, but I grew up surrounded by rednecks. It took until about my junior year of college to realize that I wasn't a redneck and had no interest in copying their lifestyles, beliefs, or mannerisms. But to your point: my parents' influence, and the influence of more diverse set of college peers, eventually won out.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
Yup. And it's even okay to "celebrate" something like "buying" (read: signing a loan on) a new, expensive car or house. Just not paying them off.

I would be cool with celebrating the move-in and the payoff, and any ongoing parties. Let's do this! Haha.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
You can tell us anything!

Congrats - not owing anything to anyone is a great feeling.

This is a very exciting moment for us, for sure. We haven't had a car payment for many years, but... wow. No mortgage, no debt whatsoever, is going to take some time to sink in.

Good for you!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »
I must say, I am currently sitting in our place, looking around as I watch a Christmas movie with Mr. Kris...

And I keep saying to myself, “This is ours. No one can take it from us.”

It’s quite a feeling. I am so happy to look around and know it is all mine.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:09:22 PM by Kris »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
I must say, I am currently sitting in our place, looking around as I watch a Christmas movie with Mr. Kris...

This is what cannot be quantified in the "to payoff or not to payoff" the mortgage debate.

Well done.

Edit to add: Whoops! just realised I posted in this thread 6 weeks ago :D  Nonetheless, sentiment still stands!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »

That sounds delicious and well earned.

And for most of us who pay our mortgages online, what would mortgage burning party look like anyhow? Setting our laptops on fire? Wasteful AND environmentally unfriendly!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2018, 11:05:52 PM »
Just keep paying your taxes!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »

That sounds delicious and well earned.

And for most of us who pay our mortgages online, what would mortgage burning party look like anyhow? Setting our laptops on fire? Wasteful AND environmentally unfriendly!

Print out a copy of the last bank statement?

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »

When you pay off the mortgage, you actually do get quite a bit of physical paperwork documenting the whole affair (much like the giant pile of crap you get at a closing when you buy a house). So there are plenty of pieces of ordinary paper you could burn, most of them are even provided with duplicates so you can still file them away.

-W

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Hey Kris, I know this is late, but I'd attend your mortgage burning party. Bring you a bottle of wine.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
Super late to the party, but just wanted to say congratulations on the steady and hard work of getting it done.
That's great, and I hope to join your club at some point in the next decade.