Author Topic: Beauty Costs for Women  (Read 15118 times)

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Beauty Costs for Women
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »
Thank you!  I just did some research and found that the Environmental Working Group actually sort of recommends BB creams, which came as a surprise, although they rate the Kiehls low because of Oxybenzone.  I'm going to search around and pick one today.  Hopefully this will end my bad skin problems!! 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
Thank you!  I just did some research and found that the Environmental Working Group actually sort of recommends BB creams, which came as a surprise, although they rate the Kiehls low because of Oxybenzone.  I'm going to search around and pick one today.  Hopefully this will end my bad skin problems!!

Offtopic, but looked at your blog.  Is that a surly cross check?  I thinkit must be the same size as mine because only the little ones have that angle to the top bar.  Fun!

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
My beauty costs aren't too bad.

Hair: I have very long and thick hair so I get decent shampoo and conditioner. I buy a bottle of shampoo and conditioner every 3 months at $4 a piece. I get a professional hair cut once a year (($20) and then cut my own hair the rest of the year. Annual cost: $52

Face: I'm lucky to have a mother and mother-in-law who treat me to all of their expensive lotions that they didn't care for, so I don't spend any money on face lotion or wrinkle cream. I spend maybe $40 total a year on all my make-up (I have everything: foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer, eye-shadow, eye-liner, and mascara) but I only do a  full face of make-up maybe once a week. I spend about $3 every 6 weeks on a facial cleanser.  Annual cost: $66

Manicure/Pedicure: I treat myself to mani/pedi for my birthday and Christmas every year. Annual cost: $120

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 06:54:03 AM »

Offtopic, but looked at your blog.  Is that a surly cross check?  I thinkit must be the same size as mine because only the little ones have that angle to the top bar.  Fun!

It is!  It's a 42,  I think.  Surly sizes are bonkers, I usually ride a WSD 48.  Love that bike though!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 11:35:12 AM »
I am a big fan of Paula Begoun (the Cosmetics Cop), who has been exposing rackets in this industry for decades.  Because she follows the research on anti aging skincare, and because I'm aging and want to keep my skin looking good, I have bought many of her products in the past, especially those that contain important ingredients, such as vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and ceramides.  A good AHA/BHA product is important for gentle exfoliating.

In the past 6 months, however, I have been studying her Beautypedia site - where she rates thousands of makeup and skincare products (including her own) - to search out cheaper substitutes of her products.  Ironic, I know.  Acne.org and Dollar Shave Club have top rated products for less than half of what Paula's Choice charges.  I spend about $75 a year on skincare serum, moisturizer, exfoliant and cleanser.

Thanks for the tip! I just checked and found a few of her books at the library. The Beautypedia section of her site is quite interesting.

You're very welcome.  There's also a "Learn" section on her website where you can put in skincare concerns and be educated on causes and treatments.  I still remember her first book from the 90's, btw, "Blue Eye Shadow Ought to Be Illegal"!