Author Topic: Beauty Costs for Women  (Read 15081 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Beauty Costs for Women
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
Did anyone see this article?  http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-high-price-of-beauty-4-women-reveal-their-annual-costs-1452198160

I may regret starting this thread, but have at it.  Thoughts?

ABC123

• Bristles
Re: Beauty Costs for Women
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
My "beauty" costs amount to:
-a $14 hair trim at the cheapo hair place a couple times a year
-makeup = mascara ($7 a tube, maybe 2 per year) and Burts Bees lip balm ($4 or so per tube, about once a year)
-shampoo (Yes to Carrots, $8 I only wash my hair twice a week so a bottle lasts about 6 months) with apple cider vinegar rinse (almost free)
-I have twice in my life gotten a pedicure (once was a gift, the other was with a my SIL and MIL on vacation)

Yup, that's pretty much it.  But then, I don't look anything like the women in the article.  They probably think all that money is worth it, as long as they don't have to look like a frumpy, pudgy, almost-middle-aged white woman.  LOL.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
When I was like ABC123 I spent about like her.  Now that the descriptor has changed to older and retired, my expenses are mascara (my eyelashes are so light that without it they are barely visible), good soap (honey-glycerin), shampoo and conditioner (I love the Down Under ones, and they are not expensive) and the occasional home hair colour.  My hair is fine in summer, with the sun, but in winter it gets drab.  I was cutting my own hair, but now that DD is not close enough to do a final check on the back, I may end up getting it cut occasionally.  Long straight hair is easy to cut in one way, but super straight hair also shows if the back is not tidy.

Re the article, it was New York, where everything is "more".  If I were an actress, I would be spending like that, my looks would be my job assets.  But the jewellery designer?

As a Science instructor (College and University) I was lucky in that no-one expected faculty to be fashionable.  Hard to be fashionable in a messy Biology lab, even with a lab coat on for protection.  We were still usually better dressed than the men.  ;-)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »
Am I the only person with the mentality of a 14 year old who got tripped up on the first paragraph, with the description of what Shen Beauty is?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Thank you for posting the article.  It was certainly eye-opening for me.  I guess if i were a NYC actress I would be spending a lot to look younger too.   

I wonder if articles like this get released into the media to get us (read "regular women") used to the idea of paying money for these services.  To normalize using Botox and filler.  I mean if I see these kinds of articles often enough the idea of using Botox + filler might become normal to me.  Then I would think I needed it and would be willing to spend on it.  I don't have any family or friends that use this stuff or go for expensive facials so the idea to do the same wouldn't come to me other than through the media.

Anyway, the only beauty spending I do is for colouring my hair.  My make-up costs $15/year.  I get a pedicure maybe twice in a summer.  Once for my birthday and then a second one for a special occasion. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
The article wouldn't open for me.

Mine really isn't more than my husband's "beauty" costs.
We use the same shampoo/conditioner (Suave) and the same soap (we like Dove, nice and moisturizing, even though it isn't the cheapest).  He uses some fancy pants hair gel (except it's like a semi-solid in a container- I don't know what it's called), I use inexpensive gel, the bottle lasts for years.   He gets his hair cut every month or every other month; I get mine cut every 2 years, so mine averages out to costing much less, even though it is $80 each time.

I don't own makeup.
I do like to do my nails though- so let's add $20 a year for new nail polishes. That might be a high estimate. I buy cheap polish...

None of that is me trying to be mustachian. It is just what I've always spent.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders this too.  Who has the time and energy for all this, let alone the money? 

And since I am reading  Wonder Women: Sex, Power, and the Quest for Perfection by Debora Spar (presently president of Bernard) I can't help but wonder how we have gone from strict gender roles in the 50's to feminism in the 70's (that wanted to free us from these strict roles), to these incredibly unrealistic expectations now.  We don't seem to have much more choice than we did then, it is just the expectations are so much higher.  Super educated, super jobs, super moms, super wives, super housekeepers, super burnouts.  Sort of along the lines that all the household machines didn't free us, they just set higher expectations.   

I wonder if articles like this get released into the media to get us (read "regular women") used to the idea of paying money for these services.  To normalize using Botox and filler.  I mean if I see these kinds of articles often enough the idea of using Botox + filler might become normal to me.  Then I would think I needed it and would be willing to spend on it.  I don't have any family or friends that use this stuff or go for expensive facials so the idea to do the same wouldn't come to me other than through the media.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders this too.  Who has the time and energy for all this, let alone the money? 

And since I am reading  Wonder Women: Sex, Power, and the Quest for Perfection by Debora Spar (presently president of Bernard) I can't help but wonder how we have gone from strict gender roles in the 50's to feminism in the 70's (that wanted to free us from these strict roles), to these incredibly unrealistic expectations now.  We don't seem to have much more choice than we did then, it is just the expectations are so much higher.  Super educated, super jobs, super moms, super wives, super housekeepers, super burnouts.  Sort of along the lines that all the household machines didn't free us, they just set higher expectations.   

Who has the time was what I was thinking, too.

The woman in the end said she loves her eyelash extensions because she has children and enjoys not having to take the time to put on mascara in the morning. *mind blown*

While I understand the concern about the expectations on women in today's society, there are plenty of women who are quite good at just not having those expectations for themselves (not in a "look how sloppy I am" way, in a "my values are different" way). I think that there is some truth that we haven't moved away from the oppression of the 1950's, but the oppression of the 1950's is just a different form of the societal oppression of the 1850's or 1250's. In other words, our society will always have ridiculous expectations for people (men and women). Maybe we'll never get away from that.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »
As more and more "beauty" aids are added, it makes me more curious what people really look like.  example: I'm the youngest person on my team at work and I am the only person with any real gray in their hair (I don't have much yet but still).   I found out that everyone else dyes theirs. 

People routinely wear spanx or control top panty hose to appear thinner or more toned.  With makeup and facials and hair treatments, lash and hair extensions, face lifts and other plastic surgery, etc....

Sometimes I wish for just a minute that everyone just looked how they really look so people could see through all the illusions and judge what they really look like against what others really look like.  Maybe it wouldn't matter but I think it might help to reset some of the crazy.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »
I remember when I was younger, when men made comments about women needing to shave/wear makeup, wear high heels, etc. I used to think "I wish men had to deal with this crap so they'd understand."

Then it became the thing for men to start shaving more than just their faces, and shaping their eyebrows, and are starting to get plastic surgery. Now I'm depressed about that - it's not the equality I was looking for.

I don't pay for services at all; I cut my own hair, dye it myself, never done a spa/mani/pedi/facial/etc.
Most products I've managed to get free from couponing (makeup, soap, shampoo), or bought tools without ongoing costs (epilator, electric razor). Stupid hair color, I buy it clearanced or with coupons but still have to pay $3-4 a box, but I mix about a third of it at a time so I can get 6 months out of it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »

Sometimes I wish for just a minute that everyone just looked how they really look so people could see through all the illusions and judge what they really look like against what others really look like.  Maybe it wouldn't matter but I think it might help to reset some of the crazy.

Why judge what you look like against other people at all? Judge against yourself. Are you happy with how you look? Fine then. Who cares what other people look like.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »

Who has the time was what I was thinking, too.

The woman in the end said she loves her eyelash extensions because she has children and enjoys not having to take the time to put on mascara in the morning. *mind blown*

While I understand the concern about the expectations on women in today's society, there are plenty of women who are quite good at just not having those expectations for themselves (not in a "look how sloppy I am" way, in a "my values are different" way). I think that there is some truth that we haven't moved away from the oppression of the 1950's, but the oppression of the 1950's is just a different form of the societal oppression of the 1850's or 1250's. In other words, our society will always have ridiculous expectations for people (men and women). Maybe we'll never get away from that.

I have friends who get up an extra hour to hour and a half earlier each day to do their hair/makeup ect. On top of regular hair/brow/facial appointments. Personally I like sleep too much to do this.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »
Some people care.  Others, there are expectations at work.  Seriously, one of the (minor) reasons I went into science was because the expectations are lower.  My sister wore an expensive suit and painful pumps to work every day, while I was wearing casual pants and walking shoes.  My working wardrobe cost a fraction of hers.  And she wasn't going overboard, it was the expected dress code for her.  Just as her husband was buying expensive shirts and suits and shoes - corporate world.

And really it is nothing new - fashion has always been with us.  The difference is that then you had the time to do this maintenance if you were upper class and had servants, now we do it all on our own.

Why judge what you look like against other people at all? Judge against yourself. Are you happy with how you look? Fine then. Who cares what other people look like.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »

Short answer: We are programmed from birth to judge ourselves against others in every aspect of our lives.  I believe some of that helps society function and some of it is just mental illness and abuse or not knowing any better, but regardless, it's a fact of life. 

I like the idea of everyone just being happy with how they look but I don't see it happening in my life time.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »

Right? Applying mascara is probably the shortest part of my (minimal) morning makeup routine. Definitely not worth $120/month to save 1 minute. Also, a lot of these "beauty" routines sound like pseudoscience snake oil. Energy healing? Ultratherapy? Please.

I'll admit, I spend more on hair care than I want...

Haircut: I pay $80 for a haircut about every 8-10 weeks... so $455/year. I have a short pixie cut that I don't think I could cut myself, and I LOVE my hair cut. It's been a part of my identity for several years now, and it's so easy to style in the morning (and I'm lazy).

Hair color: For the past few months, I've been paying to get my hair colored at $80 every 10 weeks... which would be $416/year. Last week, I went in for my last color and had the stylist dye my hair close to my natural color. Thus starts the grow-out process. I just can't justify spending that much money on hair color anymore; I value the cute pixie cut way more. And now I know that I can pull off platinum-Targaryen-blonde hair! ... but it's not worth the money.

If I needed to crack down more on my finances, I'd eliminate the hair care for sure. Grow my hair out and start cutting it myself or going to a training salon. But right now, I'm saving aggressively and happy with my progress. I think $455/year is worth feeling awesome about my hair. But almost doubling the cost for cut AND color? No :(

All of my other beauty expenses are minimal. I shave my legs maybe once a week and rarely wear makeup unless I feel like getting dolled up. I've never had a facial, and I don't know what a blowout is. Now if only I could convince my SO to be my DIY-at-home-masseuse :-P

I've found that the best way to feel better about yourself (and wear less makeup) is to look in the mirror less. Seriously. You don't see you unless you look in a mirror. If you look in the mirror (and fixate on your appearance) less, you stop caring about it so much.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 01:47:41 AM »
I'm with the conspiracy theorists on this one.

An old university friend of mine is apparently doing this sort of secret product placement / trend massaging stuff. He's in PR, but not your standard 'press release' or 'puff article' strategy.

You know how suddenly everyone is into sourdough bread? Or chia seeds?  Or botox? or whatever? He orchestrates those sorts of trends.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
I've found that the best way to feel better about yourself (and wear less makeup) is to look in the mirror less. Seriously. You don't see you unless you look in a mirror. If you look in the mirror (and fixate on your appearance) less, you stop caring about it so much.

This is so true. I spent a week at a riverside camp in South America last year, and there were mirrors in the bathrooms, but nowhere else. And small, not very high quality mirrors, with poor lighting. No one bothered with makeup, and it simply didn't matter. I didn't wear a lot of makeup anyway, but after that, I've cut back even more.

Also, although I'm not out there trying to attract men, there have been several times over the past years when I've received attention from men when I'm wearing no makeup, have my hair in a ponytail, etc. There's more to being attractive than what you've done to your face and hair.

Tomorrow is (I hope!) my last hair appointment. I decided this is the year I'm going to stop shelling out ridiculous money for my cut and color. (The decision was made when it was too late to politely cancel my appointment, so I'm sucking it up one last time. And I'll watch carefully to see what I can learn!) I mentioned this to my boyfriend, and he said his mom has been cutting her own hair since he was a kid. Her hair always looks great, and she's coming to visit next week, so I'm looking forward to picking up tips from her.

I love this about this website. It helps me keep finding ways to push the boundaries and improve life while also saving money. I am SO looking forward to not having to make 3 hours of small talk with my hair stylist!

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »
I used to see a chiropractor - sports specialist - on a monthly basis after I injured my knee.  Then I went to a physio and was given exercises -- in 5 visits I had fixed everything and learned all I needed to stop everything completely.
Free weekly yoga from work.

Massages are from a partner or old plastic thing mom gave me.

I have a few nail polishes, $2 each from the dollar store.
The makeup I have must be about 2-4 years old. The occasional eyeshadow or mascara. I only wear those for special occasions because it's fun.

I wash my face with a nice face wash I enjoy. $12, bought it a few months ago, still going. Natural lip balms and deodorants are about $20-30/year.
Again nice soap and shampoo is very cheap when you wash your hair twice a week and use it sparingly. I shave using plain soap.

Box hair dye once, maybe twice a year is $8-10.
One haircut a year at a fancy place is $50. I keep my hair long and get it cut when it gets hard to brush.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Like others in this thread, I am in the sciences, so I don't have expectations of having to look a certain way.  I wear cheap jeans from old navy usually with comfort shoes and t-shirts or sweaters.  I wear a lab coat when doing anything dirty. 

As far as my beauty regimen goes, for years I cut my medium length hair about three times per year at around $30-40 a pop, but I recently got a shorter style that I love that requires cuts every 8 weeks so now I am up to 6-7 cuts a year.   I am fortunate that I don't have any grey hair (yet) so I don't color.  I don't know if I would color even if I had greys.    I have lots of makeup from my more spendy days - enough to last me many years probably, and I would not replace 99% of it.  I put on some tinted moisturizer, eye shadow, blush and sheer tinted lip balm.  I use Suave shampoo and conditioner plus some texturizer in my hair and that's it.  My soap is cheap stuff from Trader joes and in the winter I use a few cans of their coconut body butter. 

So I likely spend more than most here, but it is pretty low maintenance for my social circle.  If I added it all up and itemized it monthly, I probably spend maybe $30-40 a month on average between haircuts and supplies. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
Just a comment here on old makeup - once it is open it picks up bacteria - mascara has about a 3-4 month "good" period.  I start a new one every 3 months even if there is lots left int eh old one, I don't want an eye infection.  If I had infection-prone skin I would change things like blush every 6 months.  I don't, and so far I am OK with skin products that are well over a year old, but YMMV.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
Just a comment here on old makeup - once it is open it picks up bacteria - mascara has about a 3-4 month "good" period.  I start a new one every 3 months even if there is lots left int eh old one, I don't want an eye infection.  If I had infection-prone skin I would change things like blush every 6 months.  I don't, and so far I am OK with skin products that are well over a year old, but YMMV.

Blush every 6 months?  Last year when I dumped all my makeup the blush I got rid of I had been using for 15 years...  I do try to remember to dump the mascara ever 2-3 years though, which I know is kinda risky.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
Yeah I can see getting rid of mascara and other liquid products after a year or so, but not the dry powders.  I have had the same blush for about 5 years. 

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
I got lucky in the genetics lottery (I don't mean I've got great looks), it's just that my skin and hair don't need much attention to look acceptable.  Then I got lucky in the husband lottery.  My darling let me know that he is red/green color blind.  That means when I wear makeup he sees various shades of grey on my face.  He prefers that I don't wear makeup.  I've been celebrating ever since.  I will don a touch of it on a rare occasion, like a Christmas party, but then I have to borrow some.

Then back when my husband and I started Financial Peace University in 2008 I elected to stop going to the nail salon and the hair salon.  I simply let my hair grow long, now I put it up.  My nails and cuticles just get trimmed regularly by me.  I confess I do like pedicures, but I've limited that to a couple times a year prior to vacations.  I amazes me that it's been 7 years since I've consistently paid for these things.  I'm perfectly happy with my appearance.   My hair is now down to my low back and I call it my "Dave Ramsey" hair. 

I'm thankful for MMM and the other financial bloggers that have helped us move on from our humble beginnings with FPU.

My beauty regimen includes bathing, showering, shampoo and conditioner (the cheap stuff), soap and some occasional hand or body lotion. 

I would say effectively I spend next to zero dollars on beauty products.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »
As I said above, it depends.  But once a product is open, it picks up bacteria, that is a given.  In dry things they won't grow much, but they are there.  I too am fine with blush that is old (as in, I have no idea when I bought it) but my skin is not prone to breakouts.  If it were I would probably ditch blush after 6-9 months - or if my skin started breaking out, everything in use would be gone.

Mascara goes close to my eyes and is liquid, so I follow the 3 month rule.

Really, except for things like mascara (how do I make my eyelashes grow longer and thicker and darker?) I think good skin and good blood circulation look a lot better than makeup.  The trick is to achieve them.

Yeah I can see getting rid of mascara and other liquid products after a year or so, but not the dry powders.  I have had the same blush for about 5 years.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
My beauty regimen includes bathing, showering, shampoo and conditioner (the cheap stuff), soap and some occasional hand or body lotion. 

I would say effectively I spend next to zero dollars on beauty products.

Me neither. Haircuts - free (my husband does it). Shampoo - $5 a year. Conditioner $8 a year. Bar soap $5 a year. Oil of Olay for face, Cerave or Cetaphil for hands (I have eczema), Lubriderm for body: $10. I buy lotion in bulk at Costco, so each package lasts a few years. Chapstick - $2 a year

So approximately $30 a year.

I just had to throw out a bunch of make-up that was a decade old. I used to try to throw on a little bit of eye shadow, lipstick, and powder/blush for special occasions like Christmas parties and such, but I gave that up. I'm happy with the way I look with a clean face and clean hair.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »
I have to walk a fine line on some of this stuff because of my profession--there's unfortunately a very strong relationship between my wearing a nice suit and pearls, and clients being willing to open their chequebooks for me.

That said, I'm with most of you: soap, cut my own hair, don't dye it and don't plan to. I own some foundation, but wear it maybe 20 days a year, just as a form of concealer (though I'll own that all of my favourite photos of myself seem to come from those 20 days).

I will say, one of the reasons I'm so set on early retirement is the knowledge that the professional expectations will only ratchet upwards as I dare to age. Salt-and-pepper on my male business partner? Experience and trustworthiness! On me? "She's really letting herself go ..."

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »
I guess for certain jobs, women still aren't allowed to age.

That's one of the reasons early retirement is so attractive to me.  I think many women get pushed to it whether they want to or not.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
I spend $30 on a cut and color every 2 mos.  I used to color it myself, then the shade I was using was coming out weird so I had my guy dye it.  He sold me the supplies I would need to do it myself. Now I've been dying my hair myself for probably 30 yrs, but since this stupid neuro deficit I'm experiencing, I could not figure out the instructions for the new dye.  I figure, I was paying $10 every 8 weeks for cuts and buying color on sale with a coupon for $3 pretty much with the same hairdresser for those 30 yrs, I saved a ton of money going to him for $10.  So I feel I can justify $30 every 8 weeks for now while I need help.  His color looks 10x better than mine ever did, too. 

I have enough makeup to last me years now that I can't work.  I always did coupons and sales to get make up cheap, except Bare Minerals foundation. 

I don't do manicures, as a nurse, it chipped too fast and I can do it at home.  My one regret- I bought one of those UV kits for gel polish off of Groupon when they were $100 and popular.  Now I see them for $25. And I rarely use it (but would if I was working).  I get pedicures maybe once a season, mostly to keep calluses at bay. 

I will be using Lever soap for the rest of my livelong days because I got a super deal on a ton of it, a huge box, for really cheap assuming the whole family would use it. You know what they say about assuming.  I will have enough to pass onto my hairs. That was a really good price sale gone way awry.  Lesson learned, ask family first. 

I use whatever volumizing shampoo/conditioner is on sale or CVS brand. I'm using hair product my mom gave me from her hairdresser that she didn't like.  It's very nice.  I use CVS brand version of Neutrogena moisturizer for oily skin with SPF.  I use a cream from my doc for acne and take a med for it.

I try to be as thrifty as possible and still look decent

oh, I also get lotions and lip balm from the site Bulk Apothecary. They have a lotion line to mimic Bath and Body Works.  Their plain lotion and lip balms are so amazingly cheap it's not even funny.  I give the bulk lip balms to friends.  Wait for a sale and score.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »
I guess for certain jobs, women still aren't allowed to age.

That's one of the reasons early retirement is so attractive to me.  I think many women get pushed to it whether they want to or not.
I'm laughing at this, because I told my students last week once I retire, I'm going to grow old man eyebrows, and they said I need to blog my progress and send them updates!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »
Then I got lucky in the husband lottery.  My darling let me know that he is red/green color blind.  That means when I wear makeup he sees various shades of grey on my face.  He prefers that I don't wear makeup. 

I love my red/green colorblind husband!  I rarely wore makeup to start with, but he actively dislikes it so much that I skip it for most "going out" occasions now, too. 

Combine that with blonde hair that my new white hairs seem to blend rather well into, and I feel like I've won the "low maintenance jackpot".  I grow my hair for 2-2.5 years, then get it cut and donate the ponytail.  I can't imagine the time spent at all of these various appointments! 

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »
I can't imagine the time spent at all of these various appointments!

Yes! Exactly! An hour for a trim, 3 hours for trim and highlights. And although my stylist was (still is, I assume!) a nice, fun person, small talk with anyone for that long gets old. Last time, she told me all about her New Year's Eve in a hotel on the beach in Hawaii, the 7 pairs of shoes she bought while there, and the suitcase she had to buy to haul all those shoes home in. :-o I don't think she knew what to say when I told her I spent NYE in the backyard by the fire pit with my bf and dog and a bottle of champagne. :-)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
My wife cuts her hair once or twice a year, it costs around $20-$30 a time. She wears makeup maybe a couple times a month when we have dinner or go nicer places.

I'm white and freckle and she's Hispanic with perfect toned skin, so that helps a lot.

Honestly, if I was going to look at a woman and judge her appearance, her hair and make up would be towards the bottom of the list. My very first thing is going to be whether or not she is fit. A woman that clearly eats well/exercises is 1000x higher on my list than one who blatantly doesn't take care of her body, regardless what her hair and make up look like.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
Comparing my "beauty" costs with my husband's...

Shower gel and shampoo is a wash (pun intended!) because we buy the same and share. He has to shave every day so buys razors and shaving cream. He also has his hair cut by a barber. I moisturise. So... His is more expensive!

People upthread have asked how women have time for all this crap. Part of the answer is that a lot of women do spend an hour every day getting ready, doing their hair and makeup. But the other part is that they don't do everything all the time. They have a wax and pedicure before their beach holiday but not in the dead of winter. Or have a facial before Christmas party season but not in high summer. I know lots of women who wear makeup every day but don't shave their legs all winter because they're in thick tights.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »
I didn't grow up in North America and it always amazes me what many men (and women) expect from other women.

When I was still living in Germany the only thing I shaved since my teens were my armpits. Legs only during the summer and that not even regularly.

Since moving over here I have gotten more conscious. Won't wear skirts unless legs are shaved. Stuff like that. Before MMM I got my nails done regularly - it made me feel good and is cheaper than a therapist. Now of course putting those $70 in my savings account makes me feel much better LOL.

So... since MMM struck me, my beauty expenses are down to about $10-15 a month:

2-3 haircuts a year - 25$ each
Shampoo - whatever is on sale, usually 2.00 - 2.49 a bottle (about 6 a year)
Shower Gel - I am too frugal for that! A good bar of soap does the job just fine. (5$)
Facecream - $40 from Benefit for the winter (I break out from other rich creams), $13 from Olay with sunblock built in for the summer
Body lotion - whatever is on sale. usually 1 big bottle of Nivea lotion per year. ($6)
Makeup - not wearing any, unless going out and then I use up what I have from the past years.
Shaving - disposable blades for Schick razors about 20-40$ a year

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 07:26:25 AM »
When I was still living in Germany the only thing I shaved since my teens were my armpits. Legs only during the summer and that not even regularly.

I love the German approach to body hair! That was one of the many things I enjoyed about living there. I find that I am one of the only women who is pretty lax about leg hair, even in the summer. It appears to me that most women quickly shave their legs every morning in the shower. My husband doesn't care at all, so I don't stress about it, even though I'm a little out of step with the culture in which I live.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »

I love the German approach to body hair! That was one of the many things I enjoyed about living there. I find that I am one of the only women who is pretty lax about leg hair, even in the summer. It appears to me that most women quickly shave their legs every morning in the shower. My husband doesn't care at all, so I don't stress about it, even though I'm a little out of step with the culture in which I live.

It was definitely a lot more relaxed and also cheaper! Luckily I am blonde, so legs can wait a few weeks until they are "due"... Then again.... maybe that's why I am still single LOL

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 07:50:42 AM »
Honestly, if I was going to look at a woman and judge her appearance

Here's an alternative: don't do that.

Every time I see an article on "48292905 beauty/dress things men don't like when women do them," I want to immediately commence doing all of those things, all of the time.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51:44 AM »
Have you seen that meme floating around facebook that goes something like:

If women everywhere decided they were comfortable with their body, how many industries would go under tomorrow?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »
I haven't contributed up to now.

I have a fair amount of disposable income. And despite not being very "girly", I found myself over the years beginning to engage in more and more expensive services. When I was young and broke, I cut my own hair. Then, when I needed to go on the job market, I invested in professional haircuts. Eventually, I decided to splurge on a professional pedicure because my feet were gross. It was heaven. So I started doing that once a month.

Eventually, I found myself as a well off forty-something doing monthly pedicures, semi-monthly manicures, monthly facials, hair tints, and even eyebrow waxes.

And then I found MMM. Quite honestly, these services were not breaking me, But reading MMM made me realize how far from my "roots" I had strayed.

Now? A haircut once every eight weeks. and that's all. 

It's strange how slippery these beauty services, and the draw to them, can be.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 09:06:23 PM »
I'll cop to spending a lot on this.  I've eliminated eyebrow threading (I was really bad at shaping mine, but after a couple years of waxing/threading, I can follow the shape for the most part) and cut back on haircut frequency and price.  But I spent close to $400 at Sephora last year...and that doesn't include shampoo/conditioner ($150 total for a liter of each from Aveda that last a little over a year--I have a lot of unmanageable hair and have never found anything else that works) and a couple other products, or haircuts.  Total was probably $900 or so?  Yikes.

Here's the estimated breakdown if I just bought what I "need":

Item   Cost   Lasts
shampoo   $63    1 year+
conditioner    $79    1 year+
styling cream/treatment   $39    6-9 months
hair cut      $60 (incl. tip)    4 months
body lotion    $19    6 months
C serum   $44    4 months
retinol serum   $65    4 months
sunscreen   $31    6 months
moisturizer   $10    4-6 months
salicylic acid   $6    2 months
lactic acid peel   $40   4-6 months

$0 so far this year, though, and I'm going to space out my haircuts more and try to wash my hair less (moving from every other day to every 3 days).  But I feel like the fancy skin care products (at-home peels, retinol, etc.) are worth it to me for how they make my skin look and feel.  The only makeup I bought last year was some tinted moisturizer and mascara when the airline lost my luggage on a work trip, and I don't anticipate buying more makeup this year.  It's basically all skin and hair care...My goal this year is to streamline my routine and only buy what I need.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 09:18:56 PM »
I'll cop to spending a lot on this.  I've eliminated eyebrow threading (I was really bad at shaping mine, but after a couple years of waxing/threading, I can follow the shape for the most part) and cut back on haircut frequency and price.  But I spent close to $400 at Sephora last year...and that doesn't include shampoo/conditioner ($150 total for a liter of each from Aveda that last a little over a year--I have a lot of unmanageable hair and have never found anything else that works) and a couple other products, or haircuts.  Total was probably $900 or so?  Yikes.

Here's the estimated breakdown if I just bought what I "need":

Item   Cost   Lasts
shampoo   $63    1 year+
conditioner    $79    1 year+
styling cream/treatment   $39    6-9 months
hair cut      $60 (incl. tip)    4 months
body lotion    $19    6 months
C serum   $44    4 months
retinol serum   $65    4 months
sunscreen   $31    6 months
moisturizer   $10    4-6 months
salicylic acid   $6    2 months
lactic acid peel   $40   4-6 months

$0 so far this year, though, and I'm going to space out my haircuts more and try to wash my hair less (moving from every other day to every 3 days).  But I feel like the fancy skin care products (at-home peels, retinol, etc.) are worth it to me for how they make my skin look and feel.  The only makeup I bought last year was some tinted moisturizer and mascara when the airline lost my luggage on a work trip, and I don't anticipate buying more makeup this year.  It's basically all skin and hair care...My goal this year is to streamline my routine and only buy what I need.

Honestly, I think a lot of skin care in particular is a great investment.  Unfairly and unfortunately, that's particularly true for women in professional roles.  Empirically women who are not "attractive" and who look over ~34 (I think that's the number I saw) are pretty screwed in the workplace.  It's utter bullshit, of course, but it is what it is.

I have to go over my spending, but I don't actually USE many beauty products.  In moments of insecurity, I compulsively buy and hoard them.

Daily, I use tinted moisturizer, chapstick, mascara, cleanser, and moisturizer.  I occasionally use masks and peels, which I imagine (if I just bought what I used) would cost ~$150 a year.  But the sticker price of all the beauty products in my apartment (if new) is probably well over 2K.  EEK.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 04:54:21 AM »
I keep mine low.

Because of an injury that flared up last January, I still can't raise my right arm (and hold it up) well enough to go back to cutting my own hair. This fall, I tried, and our department admin assistant stopped me in the hall, pulled me into her office, shut the door, and evened it up with her office scissors. I love that woman.

So I went to the local (to work) beauty school in December when it got so long it was bugging me again. For the $5 it cost, I may go back in a few weeks. So say six times a year. I have a hard time figuring out what to tip on a $5 cut, so I double it and hope that's okay. Annual cost: $60

Other than that, I keep a lipstick and mascara for major presentations and on-camera interviews. I should probably replace the mascara before the next one, but I'll buy whatever's cheapest, $2 or $3 because all I need is for my eyelashes to show up for an hour or so a few times a year. Makeup expenses run me under $5 annually, probably a lot under. annual cost : $5

I can't seem to get my eyebrows the way I want them by myself, so when I have one of those presentations, etc, I get them waxed at $7 and tip. About four times a year, so. $40-50 annually (assuming I have more events this year). I believe the beauty school does threading, which is otherwise unavailable here and which I very much prefer, so I'll investigate costs there. Annual cost: $50

I use Suave shampoo with conditioner in it already, and buy not more often than every four months, so let's assume 4 a year to be conservative. They run $3 each (the conditioner in stuff costs more than the $1 a bottle stuff). Annual cost: $12.

My weakness is pedicures. I go monthly in the summer and a couple of times over the winters, and I don't really want to change that. It comes from my "entertainment" money. I think I'll try the beauty school for this, too, but so far these cost $20 plus tip, so $24 each, about eight times a year (summer lasts six month here). Annual cost: $144

That's it. I've had the same hairbrush for years. I don't put anything in my hair other than the shampoo. Air dry when it's not freezing cold. It's gray, and I think one way women can work to change the social unacceptability of women aging is to age and continue to kick ass, so I'm trying that. I'm in a secure position, so I can be the change and still, you know, eat.

I cut my nails when they get too long to type comfortably. Oh, wait, I did buy a Flowery nail whitening pencil this year after some discussion on here; it cost me $3.95 I think and looks like it will last for many years since I never remember to use it. For the sake of simplicity, let's call it Annual cost: $4

Overall Annual cost, including the entertainment-budget pedicures: $275
Without the pedicures: $131
If I can also get my shoulder and neck healed enough to use my arm properly: $71

I think I can live with the worst-case scenario here, but I'm also looking forward to optimizing with beauty-school pedicures/possibly threading and a return to full mobility.

Edit: forgot shaving. I buy a $1 pack of pink disposable razors less that once a year, shave pits every week or so to keep down the hot flash sweats and shave legs two or three times each summer. One razor lasts several months before it gets too dull. I use my liquid Dr Bronners to shave with (dilute! Dilute! Dilute!), just like I use it for everything else. Shaving may add $.75 annually between razors and added soap usage, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:08:51 AM by Rural »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »
Apparently I'm still working on MMM when it comes to beauty.

Makeup - Even though I don't wear it every day, if I had to replace my entire makeup kit at one time it would cost $100.  After years of trying close to every product, I stumbled upon Tarte cosmetics and love them.  A tube of foundation will last me about a year and the the eyeshadow palette will last longer.  I make sure to clean my brushes after every use to reduce possible bacteria.  The only thing I buy more than once a year is mascara and tinted Burts Bees.  Annual cost (foundation, burts bees, mascara) $45

Haircuts - I probably get a professional cut once a year (maybe twice), most times I will trim it myself (pony tail method).  Annual Cost $30 +tip

Sauve Shampoo/Conditioner - Mr D and I use the same shampoo so I try to find something that works for me but isn't too flowery smelling.  I wash my hair twice a week and he washes it every day.  We go through 3-4 larger bottles a year and I try to stock up when they are on sale so $3/bottle.  Annual Cost   $12

Razors - I usually use the men's version of the disposable Venus razor which saves a bit.  I will get a 10 pack for $4-5. I might use 1 razor/week. For shave cream I use whatever cheap hair conditioner I can find usually whatever is $1 or less.  One bottle will last all year.  Annual Cost $21

Nails - My biggest weakness.  I get a gel manicure every 3 or 4 weeks.  During the winter I will get a pedi every other manicure, during the summer I will get a pedi every visit.  A Manicure costs $28+tip and a pedi is an additional $15.  Annual cost $400

Body lotion - Usually I'm gifted about 3 lotion sets at Christmas but this year I didn't receive any!  I'm not sure how much that is going to cost me yet.

Face Cleanser - My mom gave me a lot of Philosophy cleanser last year so I am still working my way through it all.  When it runs out, I will switch back to Cetaphil.

Total Annual Costs $508

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:27 AM »
I am a big fan of Paula Begoun (the Cosmetics Cop), who has been exposing rackets in this industry for decades.  Because she follows the research on anti aging skincare, and because I'm aging and want to keep my skin looking good, I have bought many of her products in the past, especially those that contain important ingredients, such as vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and ceramides.  A good AHA/BHA product is important for gentle exfoliating.

In the past 6 months, however, I have been studying her Beautypedia site - where she rates thousands of makeup and skincare products (including her own) - to search out cheaper substitutes of her products.  Ironic, I know.  Acne.org and Dollar Shave Club have top rated products for less than half of what Paula's Choice charges.  I spend about $75 a year on skincare serum, moisturizer, exfoliant and cleanser.

I will be 59 this year and get lots of compliments on my skin.

Makeup, probably about $40. Again, I check reviews on Paula's Choice Beautypedia site for makeup.  I'm a big fan of her "drugstore doubles" articles, in which she will compare two almost identical products - one from a dept store, and one from the drugstore.  Many times she'll point out they even have the same parent company, but one will be 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the other.  I use foundation, blush, concealer and colored lip gloss, always purchased from the grocery store.  I'm lucky that my eyelashes are dark and thick enough that I don't need mascara, which I hate to wear anyway.  Not a big fan of eyeshadow either.

Hair - I am 100% gray, but I dye my hair black, which is my natural color.  I'm a couponer, and am loving the $8/2 Clairol coupons out right now LOL.  With sales and q's, an $8 box costs me about $3, and I only need half for my roots.  Dying roots every 6 weeks, this costs about $15 a year.  Shampoo/conditioner is always bought on sale with coupons, and I'll stock up.  I never like to pay more than 75 cents for a bottle of Tresseme or Pantene.  Suave is practically free with sales and BOGO q's.  $5 a year for this.

Nails - For years I have gotten my nails (and eyebrows while I'm there) at a salon, for $47 every 6 weeks.  For 2016 I've given this up completely.  I got a fabulous deal on Revlon gel polish at Kroger with coupons and sale, where an $8 bottle of gel envy polish or matching topcoat cost $2.  Found a good rated 36 watt UV gel nail dryer on ebay for $17, and I'm excited about saving on what I always considered a major "necessary" expense.  Going on youtube, I found Tinkle razors are good for eyebrow shaping.  My 16 yr old daughter is a big help in this department.  Annual expense here went from $450 to estimated $25, once I allow for cost of dryer.  I'm finding I don't miss my nails as much as I thought I would.

P.S.  One of the most important things you can do for your skin is wear a well-formulated SUNSCREEN of at least 15 SPF, preferably 20 or more.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »
Huh. Well, in 2015 I spent $461 on haircuts and some hair accessories to keep my hair out of my face since I started growing it out. My boyfriend and I together spent $155 on toiletries, including shampoo, deodorant, soap, moisturizer, etc. And I probably spend a lot more than a lot of Mustachians, since I go to an expensive hair place because they do a nice job.

I don't think I've ever actually bought makeup (I've gotten some for free a few times). I've definitely never had my nails done. I had a facial once as part of a fundraiser-donation-thing several years ago, but didn't really enjoy it and have never had another one.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 07:06:07 AM »
Throwing this out there: the book The Hands-On Home, by Erica Strauss (who I believe is a member of this forum) has a lot of personal care 'recipes' that, so far, have rocked my world.

I have semi-difficult hair (prone to dandruff, dry at the ends and greasy at the scalp, super-straight but tangles like CRAZY in the winter and thus needing $$ conditionner, etc). I made one recipe of her shampoo (using only the ingredients I had on hand, so no vitamin e oil)... a month later, and I haven't needed conditionner a single time, my hair detangles with finger-combing, I wash it ever 3 days because it's no longer greasy at the scalp, and ZERO dandruff. Sometimes it gets a bit static-y, but a bit of coconut oil rubbed into the tips solves that stright up.

The face exfoliant (that's basically baking soda and coconut oil) makes my skin look amazing. The lip balm is working wonders, and tastes way better than Blistex.

I'm still buying deodorant (1/year) and basic make-up (a powder foundation, blush, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, lipstick... all of which last about 2 years, which is good because they are $), but I've started making the rest of our stuff, and it's meeting my needs way better than the more expensive store-bought verisons.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
I spend almost nothing here.  I've been cutting my own hair for about a year and a half (although I will probably splurge on a real cut at some point).  I wash my hair with various kitchen ingredients, although I did buy a bag of bentonite clay for something like $8. 

I've always hated manicures & pedicures so it's been years since I've let myself be dragged to one of those appointments.

After exploring a bit with natural deodorants, I gave up and switched to Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant.  It's not expensive.

I also recently switched to a double edged safety razor, which has already paid for itself in blade costs.  I'm pretty lax about shaving though, especially in the winter.  Tiny rebellions, right?

Makeup wise, I mostly keep it very light.  I have some old shadows, blush & lipsticks that I use only for fancy occasions.  I'm thinking about chucking the lipstick because it's usually rubbed off before I make it to the event.  I recently tried to make my own skin powder with corn starch & turmeric/cocoa powder but it didn't turn out great.  On a daily basis, I just use eye liner, and one pencil lasts months.  If I'm feeling fancy sometimes I'll darken my brows a bit as well.

I always wonder if appearance at work matters as much as people think, in non client-facing jobs.  I am lucky to be in a field where expectations are pretty low. 

Two questions: 

1. I have an old, cleaned mascara wand that I sometimes use to put a little castor oil on my eyelashes (I have dark lashes, and the little bit of sheen makes them stand out without getting "crunchy" like mascara can do).  Is this a bad idea though, bacteria-wise?

2. Also, any recommendations for tinted moisturizer?  And does this do anything to help blend in breakouts?  Since I switched to the IUD my formerly clear skin gets breakouts which I do pretty much nothing about to cover up, although that is coming more from a place of incompetency and confusion than frugality.  Concealer looks horrible whenever I try to use it and I think it's probably not great for the skin, overall?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:59 AM »

2. Also, any recommendations for tinted moisturizer?  And does this do anything to help blend in breakouts?  Since I switched to the IUD my formerly clear skin gets breakouts which I do pretty much nothing about to cover up, although that is coming more from a place of incompetency and confusion than frugality.  Concealer looks horrible whenever I try to use it and I think it's probably not great for the skin, overall?

I got an IUD and had to find Kiehl's BB cream (http://www.kiehls.com/bb-cream-actively-correcting-and-beautifying-with-spf-50-pa/3605970394455.html?utm_medium=cse_feed&utm_campaign=SKIN_CARE_CATEGORY_Women%27s_Routines_Anti-Wrinkle_Hydrating_with_Tinted_UV_Protection_Routine&utm_source=google&utm_content=BB_Cream_-_Actively_Correcting_and_Beautifying_with_SPF_50_PA+++&cm_mmc=cse_feed-_-SKIN_CARE_CATEGORY_Women%27s_Routines_Anti-Wrinkle_Hydrating_with_Tinted_UV_Protection_Routine-_-google-_-BB_Cream_-_Actively_Correcting_and_Beautifying_with_SPF_50_PA+++&LGWCODE=3605970394455;106703;6271&gclid=CMDV_aq0xcoCFQsjHwodChcDmQ).  It's sort of a heavy-feeling cream, but it's not heavy in the coverage department, if that makes sense. It's not cheap although Kiehls often has sales.  They are also easy to get  a sample out of.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »

I got an IUD and had to find Kiehl's BB cream (http://www.kiehls.com/bb-cream-actively-correcting-and-beautifying-with-spf-50-pa/3605970394455.html?utm_medium=cse_feed&utm_campaign=SKIN_CARE_CATEGORY_Women%27s_Routines_Anti-Wrinkle_Hydrating_with_Tinted_UV_Protection_Routine&utm_source=google&utm_content=BB_Cream_-_Actively_Correcting_and_Beautifying_with_SPF_50_PA+++&cm_mmc=cse_feed-_-SKIN_CARE_CATEGORY_Women%27s_Routines_Anti-Wrinkle_Hydrating_with_Tinted_UV_Protection_Routine-_-google-_-BB_Cream_-_Actively_Correcting_and_Beautifying_with_SPF_50_PA+++&LGWCODE=3605970394455;106703;6271&gclid=CMDV_aq0xcoCFQsjHwodChcDmQ).  It's sort of a heavy-feeling cream, but it's not heavy in the coverage department, if that makes sense. It's not cheap although Kiehls often has sales.  They are also easy to get  a sample out of.

Yikes, that is not cheap, but it may be worth it.  So this works to blend in breakouts??  I've never understood what BB cream is. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »

Yikes, that is not cheap, but it may be worth it.  So this works to blend in breakouts??  I've never understood what BB cream is.

I think beauty balms come from Korea and were originally developed to protect your skin after cosmetic peels and other procedures.  they're moisturizing, have serious sun protection, light to medium coverage, anti-aging components like vitamins A, C and E and often mica to smooth your complexion.  Sort of a jack of all trades that (says the hype) gradually improves your skin over time because of the SPF, moisturizers and anti-aging components.  If you splurge for one, I'd definitely look for one in an opaque tube.  Opaque to protect ingredients from light, and a tube to protect them from air and make sure you can cut it open and get the last few uses out.  It doesn't make sense to me to pay for expensive ingredients and then let them degrade in heat/sun/etc.

Drugstore brand wise, people love boots no. 7 tinted moisturizer, although I don't find it very effective. 

Paula's choice (mentioned above) has reviews of them here and actually doesn't love Kiehls, so your mileage may vary: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/best-makeup-products/Makeup/Tinted-Moisturizers/BB-Creams Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer (my actual favorite tinted moisturizer, which is a bit too rich for my blood these days) is rated first, it looks like.