Author Topic: Any mushtacian ophthalmologists for a Q/A?  (Read 1486 times)

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
Any mushtacian ophthalmologists for a Q/A?
« on: September 01, 2020, 04:39:50 PM »
So bottom line up front, many may feel this post contains new age nonsense, I agree, and would have felt that way too, but looking to see if there is a reasonable answer to what I experienced. For several years now my sight has been declining, I had lasik over 10 yrs ago and knew to expect that decline for my far-distance as I aged. Recently it had gotten to the point where anything past 20-50 ft away was quite blurry; I was getting scared to drive and was debating between a lasik correction or glasses. I then got pink eye, and started immediately putting silver water into both eyes since I don't have a regular doctor chosen to go to, I thought I could buy a day or 2 to allow me to choose a PCM. Day 1 pink eye 50% gone, didn't notice my distance vision getting better. Day 2, pink eye 70% gone, noticed distance vision was actually clear again, but would come and go. Kept on with the silver water days 3-4, pink eye undetectable and distance vision was clear again. Day 5 I forgot to use the drops, pink eye still gone distance vision started to blur again. Days 6-7 used the drops every day and vision is sharp. Now I am only using sporadically (days 8-10) when my vision seems to blur. So now finally the question, if there are any ophthalmologists out there in the community, is there an infection that I could have had (for the long-term that my eyes started to blur) that maybe my body couldn't kick that the antifungal/antibacterial/antiviral silver water could have corrected? I'm thrilled to be able to see again, but perplexed as to what could have caused the long-term eye issues that I had been having. The decline had started about 6 years ago, yes 6, I had attributed some of it to eye strain as I work at a computer for the majority of my day, but again it hadn't got to the point I was worried until this crazy year.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any mushtacian ophthalmologists for a Q/A?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:12:24 PM »
I’m not an ophthalmologist or any other type of doctor for that matter, but it sounds to me like this is a dry eye issue. I’ve had LASIK as well (including a touch-up in one eye seven years later) and I don’t always feel like my eyes are dry, but when my vision diminishes I add a few moisturizing drops (Systane in the one-time use vials) and I’m able to see clearly again.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
Thank you @iluvzbeach, I would have thought that but even using my regular eye drops never helped. When I got lasik back in '04 I did take longer to heal than normal and my eye doc told me to use Genteal gel at night and tears during the day until I healed. I still get halos at night from oncoming lights so I don't do much night driving. I don't use the gel much anymore, but I do still often use the tears since the blurring started and it has never really helped. Maybe the Systane is better, I've never tried that brand. I might have to give it a try.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 03:23:19 PM »
First off, how young are you? Are you at the golden age when cataract could become a problem? Are you of a childbearing age if female?

There could be thousands of reasons. Are there any other symptoms you noticed? Does it feel like you have sand in your eyes? Do you see floaters, halos around lights? Is your vision blurrier in the morning, evening? During driving? Do you live in a dry climate? Have you tried using preservative free tears? What else? What meds do you take? Any changes in your meds especially 6 years ago? Any procedures you had done 6 years ago? Delivered a baby, maybe? Have you moved around that time? Do you smoke? What was your prescription before the LASIK? Were you very nearsighted before, and could be at a risk for retinal detachment?

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 09:29:05 PM »
Well I guess I'm still of a childbearing age (early 40s). No sandy grit feel in my eyes, I've had halos at night for years after Lasik (roughly 16 yrs ago). No floaters, I got Systane and started trying that and it is more hydrating than the Genteal. I live in a very moderate climate (not dry). I take no medications, save the occasional aspirin. No babies, and no moving, lol.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:39:54 AM »
I'm not a doctor but I have used colloidal silver too for pink eye. Thought you might want a BTDT story for comparison.

I used to get it a lot when the kiddo was younger and for some reason they will give antibiotic drops prescriptions to kids without an office visit (due to how easily it spreads) but insist on one for adults. At the time my doctor was by my work so there was no way I was going to drive 2 hours round trip with pink eye when I had something lying around that might work.

Anyway, I am a bit near sighted but no lasik. I have found it really effective for pink eye and have never gone back to the doctor again for antibiotic drops as I find silver works just as well or better. I wouldn't say it improved my vision though. I have noticed some times my vision will get slightly better though but for me it doesn't seem to correlate to the drops.