Author Topic: Advice on privacy hedges?  (Read 4931 times)

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
Advice on privacy hedges?
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
I'm looking to run a line of privacy hedges along NW side of the property. I'm in zone 5/6.  Something fast growing is ideal.. I'd like them to be about 5+ feet tall. Any suggestions?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Advice on privacy hedges?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »
Buckthorn creates a nice hedge and grows insanely fast.  Its also a PITA to remove or get through.  In fact if done properly its almost more effective than a fence can be in terms of securing your property.  Though there is the "invasive" species and the female's berries kills birds and other animals....

I don't know any other hedge plant by name.  Sorry.

Numbers Man

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
Cottoneaster pronounced  (co tanny aster). They will need to be trimmed annually. A faster grower would be a privet which grows very high and needs to be trimmed annually.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »
Cottoneaster pronounced  (co tanny aster). They will need to be trimmed annually. A faster grower would be a privet which grows very high and needs to be trimmed annually.

Yes! I had those at my old house and was looking for the name of them. Thank you!

edit to add, looks like I had the Peking Cotoneaster as it gets about 6-8ft tall and I did have to trim them annually. Great hedge though.
http://www.thetreefarm.com/cotoneaster-peking

Privet golden vicary might work too along with Burning Bush.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:38:04 PM by Mr.Macinstache »

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
What about holly? Does anyone here have experience with it? I like the fact it's pretty year round, but there are a zillion different kinds of holly and many of them don't look as dense as I would want. A nice dense holly seems perfect...

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
The link I posted above is a great reference...search holly on there. Make sure you get the right one for your hardiness zone.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »
Privet.

I spend a lot of time volunteering with our Parks Foundation to remove invasive Privet (ligustrum), Nandina, Photinia and Chinaberry from our parks and wildlands.

Please don't make the situation worse by planting these. 

And please remove any you have on your property.  They spread very easily and are very destructive to native habitats.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
Privet.

I spend a lot of time volunteering with our Parks Foundation to remove invasive Privet (ligustrum), Nandina, Photinia and Chinaberry from our parks and wildlands.

And please remove any you have on your property.  They spread very easily and are very destructive to native habitats.

I just bought 7 golden vicary privets. I wouldn't worry too much though. I live in a subdivision and these will divide to grass lots. The only thing they can invade is the concrete street and my fence.

Good hedges make good neighbors.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
Privet.

I just bought 7 golden vicary privets. I wouldn't worry too much though. I live in a subdivision and these will divide to grass lots. The only thing they can invade is the concrete street and my fence.

Good hedges make good neighbors.

Birds
Street drainage systems leading to waterways

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »
If I'm lucky they'll invade the lot next to mine.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
While I was planting the last hedge along the property line, the neighbor walks out and says, "If you didn't want my kids in your yards, you could have just said so, instead of planting all those."  **Awkward silence ensues**

I'm thinking to myself.... it aint just the kids, lady!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Emerald thuja is supposed to be good. We bought three, and we're in zone 7 (not too far off from you). They do not seem to be growing as fast as I thought they would. I may need to fertilize them. If you google them, you'll see they can grow quite thick and they stay green all year.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
Nursery said not to fertilize them now...just compost/peat moss and water... fertilize in the spring otherwise you'll burn them up.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!