Author Topic: 2020 POTUS Candidates  (Read 369409 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2020 POTUS Candidates
« Reply #2700 on: March 18, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »
I hope Biden chooses Stacey Abrams because she is an articulate African American that will help to increase the African American turnout in Milwaukee, Detroit, and Philadelphia.
I just hope that also she is vetted well to make sure there's nothing in the campaign that could be used against them.
Stacey is also a graduate of Yale Law school, and has been working on increasing voter turnout in Georgia, which I think is a better background than being a tough on crime prosecutor.

1st bolded item: wtf?

2nd bolded item: who cares. We have gotta stop clinging to narrow pedigrees like Ivy League education, as proof of qualification (this is why Democrats lost everything)

Stick with her record, which you mentioned at the end. And please for the love of God never ever say “articulate African American” to anyone.

Can you elaborate?

https://www.theroot.com/he-s-so-articulate-what-that-really-means-1790874985

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2701 on: March 18, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »
I think there is some residual concern over a comment made by then-Senator Biden about Obama in 2007.

See here for one news report:

https://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/

The quote from that article is "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2702 on: March 18, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »
Whomever Biden picks would likely inherit the presidency. So on one hand I find that kind of exciting.

On the other hand I feel Biden did it to try to "outprogressive" Bernie. And that's a battle he will always lose and always look foolish while losing.

Eh, we're discussing it here, and I'm sure it's on thedonald, but no one else cares. Nary a peep on CNN or 538 or Foxnews. It's much ado about nothing.

There are a lot of important topics that are not discussed in the corporate media.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2703 on: March 18, 2020, 05:29:51 PM »
I hope Biden chooses Stacey Abrams because she is an articulate African American that will help to increase the African American turnout in Milwaukee, Detroit, and Philadelphia.
I just hope that also she is vetted well to make sure there's nothing in the campaign that could be used against them.
Stacey is also a graduate of Yale Law school, and has been working on increasing voter turnout in Georgia, which I think is a better background than being a tough on crime prosecutor.

I'm not a fan.  I would prefer Klobuchar or Harris, who both stood on the debate stage with Biden.  Remember, Harris was that little girl on the bus.  Klobuchar would help in the midwest.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2704 on: March 19, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »
Biden already has the AA vote.  Harris or Abrams don't make much sense...consolidate a big, important voting bloc that you...already have?

Tammy Baldwin makes the most sense.  Pretty liberal - to counter Biden's "centrist" critics.  VP noms don't normally move the needle nationally, but can help at a state level and WI would be huge.

But, Biden isn't going to be running for a 2nd term.  And I don't see Baldwin getting big national enthusiasm as the top of the ticket nominee in 2024.  Maybe Warren, but she's 70 already.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gretchen Whitmer either, though she'll face similar centrist critiques.  Klobuchar, to me, is just not very exciting.

So, I don't know really.  Baldwin makes the most sense for winning 2020.  If Biden sees himself as a bridge from Trump to a younger Pres. nominee in '24, then Harris or Abrams, though there'd be huge reservations about Abrams having not ever been elected statewide.

I guess my list would be, in no order: Warren, Harris, Klobuchar, Baldwin, Duckworth, Yates, Abrams, Sinema, Whitmer, Rice, and let's not forget...he left open the possibility of nominating a Republican lol

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2705 on: March 19, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
Biden already has the AA vote.  Harris or Abrams don't make much sense...consolidate a big, important voting bloc that you...already have?

Tammy Baldwin makes the most sense.  Pretty liberal - to counter Biden's "centrist" critics.  VP noms don't normally move the needle nationally, but can help at a state level and WI would be huge.

But, Biden isn't going to be running for a 2nd term.  And I don't see Baldwin getting big national enthusiasm as the top of the ticket nominee in 2024.  Maybe Warren, but she's 70 already.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gretchen Whitmer either, though she'll face similar centrist critiques.  Klobuchar, to me, is just not very exciting.

So, I don't know really.  Baldwin makes the most sense for winning 2020.  If Biden sees himself as a bridge from Trump to a younger Pres. nominee in '24, then Harris or Abrams, though there'd be huge reservations about Abrams having not ever been elected statewide.

I guess my list would be, in no order: Warren, Harris, Klobuchar, Baldwin, Duckworth, Yates, Abrams, Sinema, Whitmer, Rice, and let's not forget...he left open the possibility of nominating a Republican lol

Absolutely NOT Baldwin.  It would be insane to open up the only Dem-held senate seat in a swing state when control of the Senate is so tenuous. Also, I want someone there to counteract that moron Ron Johnson. 

Harris would be fine with me, personally, but doesn't make any sense politically. Dems already will win CA and Biden has the AA vote locked down.  Abrams MIGHT help turnout in some of the southern swing states.  But what Biden simply has to get is the whiter Midwestern swing states.  My gut says someone like Whitmer is what the ticket needs.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2706 on: March 19, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »

2nd bolded item: who cares. We have gotta stop clinging to narrow pedigrees like Ivy League education, as proof of qualification (this is why Democrats lost everything)

Stick with her record, which you mentioned at the end. And please for the love of God never ever say “articulate African American” to anyone.

Can you elaborate?

Yeah, the phrase has baggage to quite a few people for good reasons.

But sometimes it just has the literal meaning with no subtext. Like in a post advocating for Ms. Abrams as a VP candidate to help balance out a ticket with one of the least articulate politicians out there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:30:56 AM by Samuel »

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2707 on: March 19, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »

Can you elaborate?

But sometimes it just has the literal meaning with no subtext. Like in a post advocating for Ms. Abrams as a VP candidate to help balance out a ticket with one of the least articulate politicians out there.

Sure, and I am comfortable assuming that DavidAnnArbor had no ill intent in his post, but the fact remains that the words we use have context and baggage and we should (IMO) be mindful of the power of words in general. Reusing dog whistling rhetoric, even when no malice is meant by the user, supports and confirms the power of that language and continues to reinforce the weaponized use of the language by others who most certainly do intend to inflict harm.

We have a rich language with so many beautiful options for conveying our meaning, and we all spend time crafting our messages in a variety of settings. Consider this an opportunity to provide the context of the chosen words for those who might not be  aware.

As a poster here once said, "If my OBGYN tells me they need to examine my breasts, that's fine, if they told me they need to check out my titties, that's something else entirely."

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #2708 on: March 19, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »

Biden has the AA vote, but not necessarily the AA voter turnout.  HUGE difference.  He'll have to figure out the coalition he needs to show up to give him the best shot at victory.  AA voters/progressives/disenfranchised Republicans/suburban women/people with Trump fatigue - some combination.  Harris checks a lot of boxes without putting a Senate seat at risk.  She may also help turn out the Detroit/Milwaukee/Philly AA vote that likely cost Hillary the presidency. She also has extensive family in India (her mother was born in India IIRC) but her Indian heritage tends to be downplayed.  Not sure if that would also be a factor.  I wouldn't go with Abrams over Harris and I wouldn't go with Baldwin over Klobuchar.*  Klobuchar could help reinstate the "blue wall."  Warren may be able to bring in disgruntled Bernie voters and possibly younger voters.  Warren wouldn't necessarily help in any swing states though.  We'll know soon enough.  If I were a betting person my money would be on Harris.       

*I'm not making it a March Madness-style bracket competition of VP candidates

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #2709 on: March 19, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »

Can you elaborate?

Well that was a pretty clumsy way of saying it. Most people would say “she’s articulate, an African-American”.... Not, “an articulate African-American”.As if African-American requires a qualifier to describe what type of African-American she is. As in, she is the acceptable type of African-American.

Whether it was meant in that way or not, doesn’t matter. Most people are not aware of their prejudice, that’s what makes them so harmful and pervasive. Language contains codes, often through phrasing. As Psychstache pointed out, There are different ways to say things, but which way someone says something, can often times give you an insight to what thought provoked that particular phrasing.

And for people for whom those biases are against, the ability to decode the meaning behind the statement, is almost instinctual. There are times I have done and said things that I didn’t realize may have been offensive until someone brought it to my attention. Or even worse, realized that certain things I’ve done or said, came from a prejudice deep within.  It doesn’t feel good to be called out, and at those times I may have initially felt defensive or in denial, but ultimately trying to imagine another prospective, can enrichen your understanding and empathy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:20:57 PM by Lmoot »

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #2710 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »

Biden has the AA vote, but not necessarily the AA voter turnout.  HUGE difference.  He'll have to figure out the coalition he needs to show up to give him the best shot at victory.  AA voters/progressives/disenfranchised Republicans/suburban women/people with Trump fatigue - some combination.  Harris checks a lot of boxes without putting a Senate seat at risk.  She may also help turn out the Detroit/Milwaukee/Philly AA vote that likely cost Hillary the presidency. She also has extensive family in India (her mother was born in India IIRC) but her Indian heritage tends to be downplayed.  Not sure if that would also be a factor.  I wouldn't go with Abrams over Harris and I wouldn't go with Baldwin over Klobuchar.*  Klobuchar could help reinstate the "blue wall."  Warren may be able to bring in disgruntled Bernie voters and possibly younger voters.  Warren wouldn't necessarily help in any swing states though.  We'll know soon enough.  If I were a betting person my money would be on Harris.       

*I'm not making it a March Madness-style bracket competition of VP candidates

Harris comes with baggage for the African-American community. Abrams is well respected and doesn’t seem to come with baggage. Biden consistently outperformed Harris when it came to polls of black voters. How on earth could she then add to the numbers of African-American turn out? The math doesn’t play out. 

Anecdotally, much of the black media that I’ve seen, and black folk that I’ve heard from, in their minds they associate Harris with black suppression and incarceration, and associate Abrams with black liberation and rights activist with her work in fighting for voters’ rights.

I’ll be completely honest. It’s mostly non-black people I’ve heard say that Harris would be great representation for black people, and would be a motivator for black people to vote. So that kind of makes me think that it’s more so non-black people want black people to want Harris, because that’s who they would want if they had to choose.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:34:46 PM by Lmoot »

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #2711 on: March 19, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
Harris comes with baggage for the African-American community. Abrams is well respected and doesn’t seem to come with baggage. Biden consistently outperformed Harris when it came to polls of black voters. How on earth could she then add to the numbers of African-American turn out? The math doesn’t play out.

Big difference between who you realistically believe can win the presidency (Biden) and being motivated to actually show up and vote.  Hillary had overwhelming AA support in the primaries.  She did not get high AA voter turnout.  It likely cost her the presidency.  I don't pretend that my family is representative of all black families, but Harris is more known commodity and has been on the national stage for some time.  My fam voted for Biden in the primaries even though they liked other candidates (Harris and to a lesser extent Warren).  They didn't believe they had the luxury of voting for anyone other than Biden.  They find Harris to be more "politician-y" in a good way whereas they see Abrams as more of a community activist.  There could be a significant generational split on that though.  The younger members of my family are not likely to vote at all.  The members of my family who will vote are going to vote for Biden no matter who is on the ticket (within reason).  I would be more inclined to vote for a Biden/Harris ticket than a Biden/Abrams ticket, but I'll vote for Biden over Trump period...unless Mitt Romney runs as a 3rd party candidate. 

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #2712 on: March 19, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »
I personally see Abrams as more of a DNC Chair than VP. In fact, I think I would easier see Kamala as Attorney General (and I bet it's the position she'd rather have). Warren would want to be the fed chair.

I personally find absolutely nothing appealing about Klobuchar. So maybe that would put her at the top of the list. She's vanilla, and doesn't really upset too many people and will basically mold her position to Biden's. However, this was also Hillary's strategy with Kaine.

The tough part about selecting a woman is that there aren't very many women in politics with 10+ years of experience who also aren't over 70. No matter who Biden picks will almost have to be in office <10 years. And many of them come from swing states that risk flipping upon vacancy. It is truly a small field.

My personal preference would be Nina Turner or Rep. Pressley.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2713 on: March 19, 2020, 07:23:00 PM »
Gabbard is out.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2714 on: March 19, 2020, 08:03:48 PM »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2715 on: March 24, 2020, 08:59:34 PM »
Looking at the 538 predictor thing, it's possible that Delaware may be the state to put Biden over the 1,991 number.  I think that would be nice.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2716 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:26 AM »
Has anyone watched Joe's interviews the last few days?  The man has lost it.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2717 on: March 25, 2020, 07:29:32 AM »

The debates with Trump will be pure gold.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2718 on: March 25, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »

He’s blissfully boring and not crazy. I love it.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2719 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:12 AM »

The debates with Trump will be pure gold.
If it weren't a presidential race, maybe.  I think the big winner this fall will be "disappointment".

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2720 on: March 25, 2020, 10:10:33 AM »

He’s blissfully boring and not crazy. I love it.

I didn't realize losing trains of thought and blanking out during interviews = boring

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2721 on: March 25, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1242574463201357831

A thread of just 5 TV moments in the last few days.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2722 on: March 25, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
This is what happens when you have decided to have two senile old white men compete to lead a country.

I know there are lots of anecdotes about how sharp Aunt Penuia is at 80 . . . but realistically, someone of that age is most likely not mentally (let alone physically) fit for the job.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2723 on: March 25, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »
This is what happens when you have decided to have two senile old white men compete to lead a country.

I know there are lots of anecdotes about how sharp Aunt Penuia is at 80 . . . but realistically, someone of that age is most likely not mentally (let alone physically) fit for the job.

Very true.

But since this is what we have set ourselves up for, I would much rather have the old white dude with experience and the ability to pick and retain talented experts to work for him, than the incompetent narcissist who drives away or fires anyone who isn’t a bleating sycophant.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2724 on: March 25, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »

Very true.

But since this is what we have set ourselves up for, I would much rather have the old white dude with experience and the ability to pick and retain talented experts to work for him, than the incompetent narcissist who drives away or fires anyone who isn’t a bleating sycophant.

Boggles my mind that anyone could come to a different conclusion.  Every time someone criticizes Biden's acuity I'm like, "Have you heard of this guy Trump?" His sentences literally don't make sense.  They are just words, like, "I'm terrific" "I couldn't be more amazing" "Democrats are terrible" strung together with other random words tossed in.  Sometimes nouns where there are supposed to be verbs, sometimes articles where there should be nouns.  It's only through his tone of voice and those few descriptive words (Dems/terrible, I'm perfect) that you get the gist of what he's saying, but there's no substance to it. 

I can't believe people think *he* has more mental acuity than Biden does!  Like, I'm not a huge fan of Biden, and I'd really love to be able to vote for a non-septuagenarian in November.  But literally Trump is one of the few humans on this planet that compares poorly to Biden's mental acuity and skills at delivering information from his mouth-hole.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:49:59 AM by sui generis »

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #2725 on: March 25, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »

Very true.

Boggles my mind that anyone could come to a different conclusion.  Every time someone criticizes Biden's acuity I'm like, "Have you heard of this guy Trump?" His sentences literally don't make sense.  They are just words, like, "I'm terrific" "I couldn't be more amazing" "Democrats are terrible" strung together with other random words tossed in.  Sometimes nouns where there are supposed to be verbs, sometimes articles where there should be nouns.  It's only through his tone of voice and those few descriptive words (Dems/terrible, I'm perfect) that you get the gist of what he's saying, but there's no substance to it. 

I can't believe people think *he* has more mental acuity than Biden does!  Like, I'm not a huge fan of Biden, and I'd really love to be able to vote for a non-septuagenarian in November.  But literally Trump is one of the few humans on this planet that compares poorly to Biden's mental acuity and skills at delivering information from his mouth-hole.

100% agree, but the GOP of today are masters of negative politics and are very adept at creating these narratives. Notice that even on this board, which leans left, many are already starting with the "Biden is OK, but I wonder about his mental state" trash. I can see a year from now these same people saying how they despise Trump, but just couldn't vote for someone with dementia.

There's a bigger picture that some people refuse to see....Except GOP voters.  They can see the big picture, and that big picture looks like 6-7 SC judges, 60% of the judiciary being ultra conservative and abortion rights being stripped away.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2726 on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »

Very true.

Wow almost like we should have picked one of the other 25 candidates running for the Democratic nomination.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2727 on: March 25, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »

Very true.

Wow almost like we should have picked one of the other 25 candidates running for the Democratic nomination.

Well . . . I mean . . . the runner up was also an 80 year old white dude . . .

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2728 on: March 25, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »

Very true.

Well . . . I mean . . . the runner up was also an 80 year old white dude . . .

people really love their old white men!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2729 on: March 25, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »

Very true.

100% agree, but the GOP of today are masters of negative politics and are very adept at creating these narratives. Notice that even on this board, which leans left, many are already starting with the "Biden is OK, but I wonder about his mental state" trash. I can see a year from now these same people saying how they despise Trump, but just couldn't vote for someone with dementia.

There's a bigger picture that some people refuse to see....Except GOP voters.  They can see the big picture, and that big picture looks like 6-7 SC judges, 60% of the judiciary being ultra conservative and abortion rights being stripped away.

+1

Also, while many of us are educated and articulate on here, the average white working class voter who lacks a college degree is not going to be parsing over Biden's communication style or capacity. They are going to be more in tune with the way they feel about his tone of voice and folksy friendly grandpa like demeanor.
The large majority of US voters don't have a college degree. I asked Alexa just now and she said only 40% of Americans have a 2 year college degree or more.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #2730 on: March 25, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
Some of the smartest and most astute people I know, do not have a college education. It’s this kind of elitism that puts a bad impression in peoples minds, in regards to both the educated and Democrats, who  like to present themselves as the party of the intellectuals.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2731 on: March 25, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »
Some of the smartest and most astute people I know, do not have a college education.

Agreed.

But at the same time, all of the stupidest people I know do not have a college education.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2732 on: March 25, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
I just don't think this is about college education and I actually think it's condescending to think people without a college education don't know or care about sentences that make sense and being able to understand information being communicated when someone else speaks.

I started learning about nouns and verbs in what? Second grade? And it was far before that that I could tell something was missing if someone said something without a verb in it, for example, even if I didn't know what a verb was. This is not college material.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2733 on: March 25, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
I just don't think this is about college education and I actually think it's condescending to think people without a college education don't know or care about sentences that make sense and being able to understand information being communicated when someone else speaks.

I started learning about nouns and verbs in what? Second grade? And it was far before that that I could tell something was missing if someone said something without a verb in it, for example, even if I didn't know what a verb was. This is not college material.

Agreed.

I find it's a pretty good indicator to ask someone what proportion of people have a bachelor's degree. Correct answer in the USA is about one in three. The people with really negative views of those without a college education also tend to dramatically over-estimate the proportion of americans who have such a degree, often because they/we tend to live in a bubble surrounded by mostly other college educated people.

"Think of your five best friends. The odds of them all being college graduates if you took a random sample of all americans would be about one third of one percent. The odds of four or more of them being college graduates would be only about 4%."

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2734 on: March 25, 2020, 08:08:43 PM »
Some of the smartest and most astute people I know, do not have a college education. It’s this kind of elitism that puts a bad impression in peoples minds, in regards to both the educated and Democrats, who  like to present themselves as the party of the intellectuals.

I didn't say they weren't smart. You're making assumptions about what I said.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2735 on: March 25, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »

But in fact 2016 was an experiment on whether voters without as much education cared about whether a politician could form grammatically correct sentences and ideas. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:21:52 PM by DavidAnnArbor »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2736 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:31 PM »

But in fact 2016 was an experiment on whether voters without as much education cared about whether a politician could form grammatically correct sentences and ideas. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

Wait, you're drawing that conclusion from that article?  That they were voting based on grammatically correct sentences and ideas?  There are a million reasons why more educated people voted for Clinton and less educated voted for Trump and I'd bet "can form grammatically complete sentences" isn't in the top 10 (of a serious list anyway).  Certainly, that article doesn't disaggregate all the possible reasons to isolate the contribution people's desires to hear grammatically correct sentences made.

Sure, it's clear that less-educated voters don't like things that are associated with being highly educated generally.  As I said above, having completed the second grade is not what I'd call "highly educated".  I still think plenty of people without a college education speak in grammatically correct sentences and that they prefer to hear grammatically correct sentences when they are at work, or trying to get the cable company to come out to fix their cable, or asking someone at the store whether they have any TP in stock.  But Trump supporters don't mind it from Trump because they are now defiantly fans of ungrammatical speaking.  Not because they were first fans of it and then Trump came along.  It's because they like to pwn the libs and so being a fan of something that even they wouldn't otherwise prefer (in a double-blind study, let's say) is fine, so long as it really pisses off the opposition.  In other words, the correlation, in my estimation, goes the other way.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2737 on: March 26, 2020, 05:51:58 AM »

Wait, you're drawing that conclusion from that article?  That they were voting based on grammatically correct sentences and ideas?  There are a million reasons why more educated people voted for Clinton and less educated voted for Trump and I'd bet "can form grammatically complete sentences" isn't in the top 10 (of a serious list anyway).

That's my original point, "the average white working class voter who lacks a college degree is not going to be parsing over Biden's communication style or capacity."

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2738 on: March 27, 2020, 03:51:37 AM »
Sexual assault allegation against Biden beyond the "uncomfortable hugging" stuff. Is this enough to derail his nomination? Thoughts...?

https://newsone.com/3917043/tara-reade-joe-biden-sexual-assault-accuser-breaks-silence/

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2739 on: March 27, 2020, 04:44:51 AM »
My thoughts are that I'm wishing Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobechar hadn't withdrawn from the race (and that Bernie Sanders had).

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2740 on: March 27, 2020, 05:40:38 AM »
My thoughts are that I'm wishing Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobechar hadn't withdrawn from the race (and that Bernie Sanders had).

To that point, any chance of an "un-withdrawing"?

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2741 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:52 AM »

Absolutely, Buttigieg and Klobechar have only suspended their campaigns. Of course, for that to happen something would probably have to happen to Biden. 

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2742 on: March 27, 2020, 06:31:21 AM »

Absolutely, Buttigieg and Klobechar have only suspended their campaigns. Of course, for that to happen something would probably have to happen to Biden.

But, and I really don't mean this to be snarky, but aren't the Democrats supposed to be all about believe the accuser at all times. Shouldn't this be an immediate disqualification for Biden. I'm not unbiased on this. I'd rather have Pete than Biden. I'd really, though, rather not have Bernie, so worst case for me is for it to get towards the end, more to come out, and Biden to get pushed out leaving Bernie as the front runner.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2743 on: March 27, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »
If more accusations from other women come forward I definitely think it could doom Biden's primary bid.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2744 on: March 27, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
If more accusations from other women come forward I definitely think it could doom Biden's primary bid.

Oh, FFS

We are in a DESPERATE situation with the current administration, led by someone who has committed and continues to commit multiple heinous acts.

I DO NOT CARE what Biden did or didn’t do xx years ago.

Plus, based on the link posted above: not a reputable major news source, a questionable accuser with vague accusations, and ALMOST THIRTY YEARS AGO.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:50:32 AM by OzzieandHarriet »

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2745 on: March 27, 2020, 10:45:43 AM »

Oh, FFS

We are in a DESPERATE situation with the current administration, led by someone who has committed and continues to commit multiple heinous acts.

See, I was wondering if this would come out. I'm hoping other liberals will come out and condemn this mindset or it's going to shine a whole new light of hypocrisy on the Kavanough hearings (a big deal to me because it marked a turning point in my political mindset seeing how conservatives I knew handled the situation).

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2746 on: March 27, 2020, 10:49:54 AM »
Sexual assault allegation against Biden beyond the "uncomfortable hugging" stuff. Is this enough to derail his nomination? Thoughts...?

https://newsone.com/3917043/tara-reade-joe-biden-sexual-assault-accuser-breaks-silence/

Well then, it's official...  He did it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2747 on: March 27, 2020, 10:51:47 AM »

You should.  This should be investigated and he should be held accountable if wrongdoing occurred.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2748 on: March 27, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »

Oh, FFS

See, I was wondering if this would come out. I'm hoping other liberals will come out and condemn this mindset or it's going to shine a whole new light of hypocrisy on the Kavanough hearings (a big deal to me because it marked a turning point in my political mindset seeing how conservatives I knew handled the situation).

What are you looking for?

If he did this, is it wrong? Yes.
Is it concerning? Yes.
Should it be investigated? Yes.

Currently, though, we have a President that has admitted to sexual assault vs a candidate that is accused of sexual assault.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2749 on: March 27, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
This Biden accusation is being pushed heavily by the Bernie people.

Still thinking of leaving the country when I can.