Author Topic: "Prosperity Gospel"  (Read 88801 times)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: "Prosperity Gospel"
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
Star fuel - I like that very much:)
We never really die, we just reorganize.  Don't fear the worm food. - Transformation - a lovely thought, so reassuring:) and becoming wormfood is a useful final occupation:) Nice to know the Universe never wastes anything.

Sol, you are like a breath of fresh air carried on the winds of change. We do live in exciting times, dna and atom splitting and outer space discoveries - it is downright awesome. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
the atoms that make up me continuously come and go already,

I prefer to think of this continuous exchange of matter between me and the universe as a profoundly literal connection between me and the cosmos, as we are one and part of each other, rather than as symbolic of my own lack of identity.

But whatever man, you do you.

Science is indeed awesome, but it explains the lack of meaning of our lives, not its presence.

You don't see anything remotely profound in being the integral component of a universe full of matter that has finally evolved enough to comprehend itself?  Since we are by definition born of and part of the universe, our understanding of these issues represents the universe's self-actualization.

Like maybe smoke a bowl or something and give it some thought, then get back to me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:49:08 PM by sol »

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: September 11, 2015, 05:16:23 AM »
You don't see anything remotely profound in being the integral component of a universe full of matter that has finally evolved enough to comprehend itself?

Profound, yes.  It's poetic and beautiful and awe-inspiring in its unfathomable complexity.  But it doesn't change the reason Kris offered above for the ultimate appeal of religious belief.  When we complete our final exchange of matter with the universe, we're vanished just the same.  To quote the words of a wise man on the matter (perhaps spoken during one of his glass-half-empty days):

The universe is devoid of meaning, a random stage upon which we play out our insignificant lives for a few fleeting moments before returning to the oblivion from whence we came.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #303 on: September 11, 2015, 06:52:03 AM »
We evolved out on the grasslands of Africa as awesome pattern matchers.  We looked at stuff, figured out how it worked largely by matching patterns (ooh look, the edible birds come to the water every night to drink . . . let's hide out here and club them), and survived because of it.  The best pattern matching dudes clubbed the most birds, grew up to be strongest, and scored more cavewomen with their paleolithic rock hard abs and hipster beards.  They figured out predators behaviour better and were able to survive longer to breed. 

Even applied wrong, pattern matching is better than not pattern matching in the natural world.  "Holy shit, is that a lion?  AAAHHHH!  Oh wait, it's a stump!" works much better than "Hey a stump.  Oh shit, it's a lion!  AAAHHHHH!"  There is an ingrained biological urge in people to pattern match, and it can't be turned off.  Interestingly, your brain appears to kick this on as an auto defense mechanism.  The less control you feel over your life, the more likely you are to see patterns that aren't actually there (http://www.rifters.com/real/articles/Science_LackingControlIncreasesIllusoryPatternPerception.pdf).

At it's core, religion is just pattern matching applied to random noise.    Your brain totally sees Jesus's face in that toasted English muffin.  Good things don't just happen because there was a 30% chance of that occurrence . . . it's a miracle of God.  The idea of a big dude controlling everything is innately comforting.  As humans there's always a dude controlling stuff.  You work for a boss, who has a boss, who reports to a boss, who is beholden to the laws of the country (another boss), etc.  You go for a walk in a park . . . there's a park ranger, there's a department of environment, there are regulations about pollution, there are zoning regulations that keep the park where they are, etc.  We like a story we already know . . . and religion allows you to keep reading the same story over and over in slightly different ways.

When people talk about the meaning that they get in life from religion . . . I get it!  It makes perfect sense to me, because of all of the above.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
inevitability of becoming worm food.

Not me.  I'm going to be star fuel.  And a double sided dildo.  And a redwood tree, and a puppy's nose, and an ocean wave, and a black hole.  My matter, indestructible, will be returned to the great universe from whence it came.  Which, yes, probably means worm food somewhere along the line, too.

Science is awesome, like literally awe inspiring.  Every atom in your body bigger than helium was formed inside of a long dead star that exploded across the vastness of space in a violent light show of cosmic proportions.  Every breath you take contains molecules that were once part of Hitler, and a T-rex, and a comet.  Long after you are dead and gone, the last human to ever live and die will contain literal physical parts of your body. 

We never really die, we just reorganize.  Don't fear the worm food.

The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Science is amazing. I'm going to spend my time studying it more once I RE.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #305 on: September 11, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
Is it just me or are we seeing the birth of a new religion right here in front of us ("the church of star matter and the reincarnated dildo" perhaps)?

I think you want your church to have a name that people will want to write checks payable to.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
Except that... I was NOT raised in a religious culture

I thought you were American . . . ?

. . . and according to your posts on another thread you were educated in a religious (Catholic) school.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
You don't see anything remotely profound in being the integral component of a universe full of matter that has finally evolved enough to comprehend itself?

Profound, yes.  It's poetic and beautiful and awe-inspiring in its unfathomable complexity.  But it doesn't change the reason Kris offered above for the ultimate appeal of religious belief.  When we complete our final exchange of matter with the universe, we're vanished just the same.  To quote the words of a wise man on the matter (perhaps spoken during one of his glass-half-empty days):

The universe is devoid of meaning, a random stage upon which we play out our insignificant lives for a few fleeting moments before returning to the oblivion from whence we came.

Here we come to the fundamental disconnect where I must be missing that certain cluster of neurons or whatever that makes the majority grope after religion. I understand our brains are wired for pattern recognition, and thus attributing causality to things for which there might be none. I understand we don't understand large numbers and thus don't grasp randomness. I understand the impulse to create stories about the universe. But I just don't get why it's so much more appealing than reality, as we currently can measure/grasp it/continue to grope toward it.

What does 'meaning' even mean? LOL? Why is reality so frightening? So we vanish back into our origins as atoms... WHY IS THIS SO UPSETTING TO SO MANY PEOPLE!?!?!?!?! I mean, yeah, it's mildly disturbing to have your consciousness vanish. Death kinda sucks (though I'd argue that depends on the conditions your life is being lived under) and I'd like to avoid it as long as possible. But I just don't understand why it's so terrifying to contemplate that billions of people will invent stories for which there is no actual evidence to come up with some supernatural 'meaning' for everything? Especially when most of them will STILL acknowledge that that supernatural something is essentially unknowable, so how do the supernatural stories help, exactly?

Is all of humanity groping around in a sea of loneliness and loveless, so much so that the idea of a personal deity/parent that loves and understands you (and all the deep matters that you don't understand), has the appeal of a tranquilizing drug?

I can definitely understand the evolution of the thought pattern, and I can see the benefits from a societal tribal standpoint...it's just this appeal on an individual emotional level to actually convince oneself that this is true....that seems like a cry of despair to me, more depressing than just contemplating our insignificance in the universe.

Eh, never mind my rhetorical rant.  I hate not understanding peoples' motivations; I just need to stop being interested. Stupid brain.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:36:27 AM by wenchsenior »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »

. . . and according to your posts on another thread you were educated in a religious (Catholic) school.

Wow! Now I'm wondering if you were only singling down this whole time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
It stuck out in my mind.

I'd have a lot of questions for someone who wasn't indoctrinated in religion early on but later came to recognize and follow one as the true path.  Virtually everyone I've ever encountered has been indoctrinated in religion early on though, sometimes subtly.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »

Here we come to the fundamental disconnect where I must be missing that certain cluster of neurons or whatever that makes the majority grope after religion. I understand our brains are wired for pattern recognition, and thus attributing causality to things for which there might be none. I understand we don't understand large numbers and thus don't grasp randomness. I understand the impulse to create stories about the universe. But I just don't get why it's so much more appealing than reality, as we currently can measure/grasp it/continue to grope toward it.

What does 'meaning' even mean? LOL? Why is reality so frightening? So we vanish back into our origins as atoms... WHY IS THIS SO UPSETTING TO SO MANY PEOPLE!?!?!?!?! I mean, yeah, it's mildly disturbing to have your consciousness vanish. Death kinda sucks (though I'd argue that depends on the conditions your life is being lived under) and I'd like to avoid it as long as possible. But I just don't understand why it's so terrifying to contemplate that billions of people will invent stories for which there is no actual evidence to come up with some supernatural 'meaning' for everything? Especially when most of them will STILL acknowledge that that supernatural something is essentially unknowable, so how do the supernatural stories help, exactly?

Is all of humanity groping around in a sea of loneliness and loveless, so much so that the idea of a personal deity/parent that loves and understands you (and all the deep matters that you don't understand), has the appeal of a tranquilizing drug?

I can definitely understand the evolution of the thought pattern, and I can see the benefits from a societal tribal standpoint...it's just this appeal on an individual emotional level to actually convince oneself that this is true....that seems like a cry of despair to me, more depressing than just contemplating our insignificance in the universe.

Eh, never mind my rhetorical rant.  I hate not understanding peoples' motivations; I just need to stop being interested. Stupid brain.
There is actually a cluster of neurons that supposedly make you more likely to be religious, it is the posterior superior parietal lobe.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »

Nope, I was not raised Catholic or any kind of Christian. Agnostic. And I went to public school my whole life. I'm not Catholic now, just non-denominational Christian (I don't agree/believe in the "extra" stuff in Catholicism). You won't find any posts from me that say otherwise, as they don't exist. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

Quote from: forummm
Wow! Now I'm wondering if you were only singling down this whole time.

LOL. Nope, still doubling. Singling is for pussies.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
Maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

Sol probably implanted him with false memories.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »

Nope, I was not raised Catholic or any kind of Christian. Agnostic. And I went to public school my whole life. I'm not Catholic now, just non-denominational Christian (I don't agree/believe in the "extra" stuff in Catholicism). You won't find any posts from me that say otherwise, as they don't exist. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else.

My mistake then.

Can I ask you what specifically appealed to you about the religious denomination that you chose, over the thousands of other denominations?  Why do you think that you're on the right path?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
Death kinda sucks

Why does death suck?  You were dead for approximately 13 billion years, did it suck for you then?

Death only sucks for the living who are left behind to mourn their loss, which is a transient and fleeting process.  The dead, like the unborn, don't mind at all.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
Why does death suck?  You were dead for approximately 13 billion years, did it suck for you then?

Death only sucks for the living who are left behind to mourn their loss, which is a transient and fleeting process.  The dead, like the unborn, don't mind at all.

To closely paraphrase the same sol who was speaking in the other thread I quoted from upthread, that really sounds like dangerous logic.  Death sucks because life doesn't and the cessation of life therefore does.  If you don't believe that to be true, what's to keep you from suiciding this afternoon?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
Death kinda sucks

Yeah, generally I agree. I am enjoying life, and would like it to continue as long as I am enjoying it. So death only really sucks in comparison to the things I currently enjoy.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »
If you don't believe that to be true, what's to keep you from suiciding this afternoon?

Stop making me argue with myself.  Apparently, I spend too much time here.

Death doesn't suck because death doesn't anything.  Life is awesome, almost always better than death, but death is a zero, not a negative value.  I personally have about 13 billion years of being dead, and not a single bad experience from any of it.  How about you?

A few posts back you again made me argue with myself about the universe being devoid of meaning.  That was unfairly taken out of context, a joke post directed at someone being unnecessarily dark about something unrelated.  In context, I think I made it clear that life does have meaning, which is why I posed that question about suiciding this afternoon if he disagreed.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
Stop making me argue with myself.

Just playing the foil to your current optimistic bent (or, I guess, using you to play your own foil).

As usual, I think we're really saying the same thing, but from where I sit, I'd say death definitely sucks in that it subtracts the (positive) value of life.  I think life has meaning too, and prefer to believe in the awesomeness of reality over the fairy tales of religion, but no amount of poetic waxing on our oneness with the universe will substitute religion's promise of an afterlife, if only it were true.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »
I'd say death definitely sucks in that it subtracts the (positive) value of life. 
You're such a moral relativist.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
I'm going to enjoy this life as long as it's available to me. Whenever death comes that will be fine. My molecules will enjoy being in the new bonds they form and existing in the universe for billions more years than any human could ever live as we know it. My uncountable numbers of electrons will continue to spin around madly without effort or tiring. Maybe parts of me will travel about the universe and visit other galaxies. Intergalactic travel is slow, but I'll have time.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »
I thought of a "best of both worlds" activity for sol, forummm and all you who crave being at one with the universe in a spray of previously-living matter: Cut off the extremity of your choice, fry it up and feed it to your cat. Now you can personally witness your own process of merging with all matter. For the truly badass, pick a new extremity every week! Now that's living the dream!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
I thought of a "best of both worlds" activity for sol, forummm and all you who crave being at one with the universe in a spray of previously-living matter: Cut off the extremity of your choice, fry it up and feed it to your cat. Now you can personally witness your own process of merging with all matter. For the truly badass, pick a new extremity every week! Now that's living the dream!

LMAO!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »
I'm actually doing a much less gruesome version of that already. Every time I breathe or take a dump or shed flakes of dead skin my elements are going out to combine with other forms of nature, and carry on their journey through the universe.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »

LMAO!

. . . I mean . . . I've heard of crash weight loss programs before, but this truly takes it to another level.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »
I'll try again, as it appears I didn't express myself well enough last time. Apparently I also waited way too long to reply!

I think that we're a good group of people here. We get along well. We are here because we have some shared ideals. Obviously we will not agree on everything. Obviously many here are introverts and much more on the "thinking" side of the Myers-Briggs scale than the "feeling".

What I'm saying is, like it or not, whatever the reason may be, the use of the term "magic" is having an effect that you don't intend and you certainly know it now because we've been talking about it for pages. I like the other poster's analogy of the Confederate flag and completely disagree with brooklyn's retort to it because there are other words you can use other than magic. Just take the long way. Be empathetic. Use your ample gifts of intelligence and vocabulary (I mean this seriously, you are very gifted people) to come up with a phrase that respects someone's beliefs without agreeing with them. Use more and better words. Magic is lazy and elementary. You have a much stronger vocabulary than that simple word. You really don't need it.

I don't think most people do this type of thing intentionally, although I'm sure some do (even in this thread, whether they be religious or not). I think it is either due to not realizing that certain words or phrases comport meanings that are unintended/unexpected by the user (magic, or like sol saying one thing is the truth, implying that the other is not), or it is due to trying to use logic to understand/advocate for a position instead of trying to understand the other person's feelings/emotions/etc.

*An aside on the last point: I do this, too. I'm high on the Thinking side of things. I often say I seek to understand and while I genuinely feel that way, I've learned that I'm trying to "understand" logically when I need to empathize emotionally.

*Another aside: I recognize that someone will always be offended and you may be right that magic is a perfectly acceptable word and the connotations that people are taking from it are unfounded. The etymology of the word (through French magique, all the way back to Latin and Greek) certainly agrees with you. I also recognize that atheists and agnostics are a minority in the US and encounter far more lazy, ignorant, non-empathetic, hateful, add another adjective BS than those who believe in god, God, gods, or some other system beyond observational science/logic/reason. I'm truly sorry that people do that. I don't think it excuses people from doing the same thing.

*To the poster who is a pagan, I am sorry I didn't see the previous post belittling your beliefs without realizing it. I think that it is very similar to the way religious people in the thread are taking statements from those who are not.

*Brevity is not my strong suit.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: September 12, 2015, 08:17:42 AM »
I'll try again, as it appears I didn't express myself well enough last time. Apparently I also waited way too long to reply!

I think that we're a good group of people here. We get along well. We are here because we have some shared ideals. Obviously we will not agree on everything. Obviously many here are introverts and much more on the "thinking" side of the Myers-Briggs scale than the "feeling".

What I'm saying is, like it or not, whatever the reason may be, the use of the term "magic" is having an effect that you don't intend and you certainly know it now because we've been talking about it for pages. I like the other poster's analogy of the Confederate flag and completely disagree with brooklyn's retort to it because there are other words you can use other than magic. Just take the long way. Be empathetic. Use your ample gifts of intelligence and vocabulary (I mean this seriously, you are very gifted people) to come up with a phrase that respects someone's beliefs without agreeing with them. Use more and better words. Magic is lazy and elementary. You have a much stronger vocabulary than that simple word. You really don't need it.

I don't think most people do this type of thing intentionally, although I'm sure some do (even in this thread, whether they be religious or not). I think it is either due to not realizing that certain words or phrases comport meanings that are unintended/unexpected by the user (magic, or like sol saying one thing is the truth, implying that the other is not), or it is due to trying to use logic to understand/advocate for a position instead of trying to understand the other person's feelings/emotions/etc.

*An aside on the last point: I do this, too. I'm high on the Thinking side of things. I often say I seek to understand and while I genuinely feel that way, I've learned that I'm trying to "understand" logically when I need to empathize emotionally.

*Another aside: I recognize that someone will always be offended and you may be right that magic is a perfectly acceptable word and the connotations that people are taking from it are unfounded. The etymology of the word (through French magique, all the way back to Latin and Greek) certainly agrees with you. I also recognize that atheists and agnostics are a minority in the US and encounter far more lazy, ignorant, non-empathetic, hateful, add another adjective BS than those who believe in god, God, gods, or some other system beyond observational science/logic/reason. I'm truly sorry that people do that. I don't think it excuses people from doing the same thing.

*To the poster who is a pagan, I am sorry I didn't see the previous post belittling your beliefs without realizing it. I think that it is very similar to the way religious people in the thread are taking statements from those who are not.

*Brevity is not my strong suit.
I think you also missed where I stated that and basically said get over it.  Because the real issue is when you start losing your job, get physically attacked etc. Both of which and more have been done to pagans (and atheists) by Christians.  You want people to be empathetic towards your group, police your group into stop being asses to other groups first.  You'd be surprised at how well that would help.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2015, 08:23:28 AM »
I like the other poster's analogy of the Confederate flag and completely disagree with brooklyn's retort to it because there are other words you can use other than magic.

I'll try not to belabor the point much longer, but the focus on the word "magic" is misplaced.  Religious belief has also been called "ludicrous" and "nonsense" in this thread; does anyone find those words less offensive?  It's not the labels being used to which people have been taking offense; it's the content of the message -- namely, that talking snakes and omnipotent gods, like alchemy and healthy cigarettes, are absurd.  Are we precluded from voicing that opinion because those who hold those beliefs find it offensive?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2015, 08:26:06 AM »

Or here's a fantastic idea: How about the religious people come up with a word that doesn't offend their sensibilities?

Is 'faith based' literally the only acceptable term for things that don't follow known natural laws and for which there is no objective evidence? I'm staying with 'supernatural' unless someone comes up with something more specific. And Gin (whose faith I have much more emotional sympathy with, since I am pretty sure I practice some similar rituals) will have to suffer through the abuse. Just like I have to constantly suffer through the majority in society unthinkingly calling me 'amoral' or whatever.

I think Gin and I are tough and can likely manage to get through the day with less than optimal terms being flung our way LOL.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »
Maybe just keep it simple.You could just call matters of a religious nature just that: Religious. Then, when speaking of events in the Bible that miraculous, use the word miracle. Everybody knows what your talking about and nobody is offended.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »
Maybe just keep it simple.You could just call matters of a religious nature just that: Religious. Then, when speaking of events in the Bible that miraculous, use the word miracle. Everybody knows what your talking about and nobody is offended.

The problem with this plan is that it's like calling a burgler a "home entry specialist."  Yes I agree it is a very clear and unambiguous descriptor, but it fails to highlight the deliberately negative connotation that "burglar" does.

You all keep talking about the use of the word magic as if the discomfort it causes people is accidental.  It's not accidental, at least not when I use it.  I'm deliberately trying to remind people that they believe in something that everyone else knows is false.  That they probably know is false, too, if they are honest with themselves.  No educated person living in America today seriously believes the entire Earth was flooded 6000 years ago, killing all life on the planet except what Noah put on boat.  Because that's stupid and everyone knows it.  It's easy to disprove ten different ways.  Why do we keep pretending we actually believe it?

More importantly, why do we have to keep pretending that it's okay for other people to believe it?  It's not.  It's not okay to base your important life decisions on horoscopes.  It's not okay to refuse medical care for your sick kid because Jehova said sickness doesn't exist.  It's not okay to decapitate a construction worker or rape a 12 year old girl because you believe the Koran.  It's not okay to discriminate against black people because Joseph Smith was a racist.  It's not okay to tell an alter boy that Jesus's love is to be found in your penis.  It's not okay to do bad things, and it's not okay to use your supposed belief in supernatural bullshit as a defense for the bad things you do.  We need to let it all go.

Not all of religion is magic.  There are good messages in there, and good people trying to do good things.  Those parts I'm fine with, even supportive of.  But there are also parts that are deliberately stupidly magical, in the sense that they are obvious falsehoods.  They are lies, or at best deliberate fictions design to make a point.  They are stories about things that never happened, and could never happen, so stop acting like you can't tell the difference between reality and fiction.  No one reads Harry Potter and seriously questions whether or not it's a true story, so why do they struggle with this question with the Bible? 

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
You want people to be empathetic towards your group, police your group into stop being asses to other groups first.  You'd be surprised at how well that would help.

No, I want people to be empathetic. Period. And while I'm not sure you know who my "group" is, I think everyone's group needs policing. People are often lazy, non-empathetic, or even cruel when dealing with those who don't look like them, share their beliefs, etc etc. I also do these things just like anyone else and it isn't excusable when I do it, either.

"Get over it" is fine to a certain extent, but that certainly isn't an empathetic stance. I think you can personally get over things while talking about broader issues. An example would be people who grow up poor, uneducated, etc - we should absolutely try to alleviate the conditions that they grew up in, but on a personal level the victimhood mentality isn't healthy.

I'll try not to belabor the point much longer, but the focus on the word "magic" is misplaced.  Religious belief has also been called "ludicrous" and "nonsense" in this thread; does anyone find those words less offensive?  It's not the labels being used to which people have been taking offense; it's the content of the message -- namely, that talking snakes and omnipotent gods, like alchemy and healthy cigarettes, are absurd.  Are we precluded from voicing that opinion because those who hold those beliefs find it offensive?

Brooklyn, I thought this went without saying so I didn't draw attention to it. Of course people calling other peoples' religious convictions absurd, ridiculous, etc is ill-advised, non-empathetic, unproductive, unhelpful, and even arrogant (assuming we're not talking about very hateful stuff like terrorism, racism, etc). This is why people like Dawkins get such a backlash, despite his incredible brilliance.

You are a smart cat, you can very easily disagree with someone's believes without comparing them to healthy cigarettes or calling them absurd. What does your verbal assault accomplish?

Or here's a fantastic idea: How about the religious people come up with a word that doesn't offend their sensibilities?

I'd reckon that you know how to do this, intuitively. Why not religious or spiritual? There are many other words that can be used in these discussions - theology, faith, theism, deism, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc.

And Gin (whose faith I have much more emotional sympathy with, since I am pretty sure I practice some similar rituals) will have to suffer through the abuse. Just like I have to constantly suffer through the majority in society unthinkingly calling me 'amoral' or whatever.

I think Gin and I are tough and can likely manage to get through the day with less than optimal terms being flung our way LOL.

You shouldn't have to suffer through it, because it is BS. I disagree with it with the same force that I'm having in this discussion. Sure, on a personal level (as mentioned above), it is helpful to suffer through it. That doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it and try to be better about how we treat each other.

The problem with this plan is that it's like calling a burgler a "home entry specialist."  Yes I agree it is a very clear and unambiguous descriptor, but it fails to highlight the deliberately negative connotation that "burglar" does.

You all keep talking about the use of the word magic as if the discomfort it causes people is accidental.  It's not accidental, at least not when I use it.  I'm deliberately trying to remind people that they believe in something that everyone else knows is false.  That they probably know is false, too, if they are honest with themselves.  No educated person living in America today seriously believes the entire Earth was flooded 6000 years ago, killing all life on the planet except what Noah put on boat.  Because that's stupid and everyone knows it.  It's easy to disprove ten different ways.  Why do we keep pretending we actually believe it?

More importantly, why do we have to keep pretending that it's okay for other people to believe it?  It's not.  It's not okay to base your important life decisions on horoscopes.  It's not okay to refuse medical care for your sick kid because Jehova said sickness doesn't exist.  It's not okay to decapitate a construction worker or rape a 12 year old girl because you believe the Koran.  It's not okay to discriminate against black people because Joseph Smith was a racist.  It's not okay to tell an alter boy that Jesus's love is to be found in your penis.  It's not okay to do bad things, and it's not okay to use your supposed belief in supernatural bullshit as a defense for the bad things you do.  We need to let it all go.

Not all of religion is magic.  There are good messages in there, and good people trying to do good things.  Those parts I'm fine with, even supportive of.  But there are also parts that are deliberately stupidly magical, in the sense that they are obvious falsehoods.  They are lies, or at best deliberate fictions design to make a point.  They are stories about things that never happened, and could never happen, so stop acting like you can't tell the difference between reality and fiction.  No one reads Harry Potter and seriously questions whether or not it's a true story, so why do they struggle with this question with the Bible?

sol, I'm honestly taken aback and a bit surprised. I thought there was a chance I was just misunderstanding you, but I now can't help but believe that there is some judgement in what you've been saying. I also obviously agree with you that people using beliefs to justify bad things is not OK and that those beliefs should be tossed into the dustbins of history (racism, terrorism, pedophilia, etc). However, you're accusing many believers of not being honest with themselves and that is pretty demonstrably false - there are a great many well-educated and honest believers. Furthermore, many people read the feeding of the thousands and other religious motifs as metaphorical, focusing on the message they convey. Shit, there was even a recent Hollywood film with a different take on the flood narrative. Not everyone takes everything literally.

I feel that your tone is incredibly unhelpful and belittling in this particular post: "stop acting like you can't tell the difference between reality and fiction," comparing Harry Potter to the Bible, "deliberately stupidly magical", etc. These are very broad brushes to paint over the vast majority of humanity that adheres to some form of spiritual or religious belief.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:08:48 PM by NICE! »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
No one reads Harry Potter and seriously questions whether or not it's a true story

My mom is conservative Christian. She forbids the Harry Potter books because they are of the devil. Filled with occultic themes and other Satanic-type stuff. People actually take this stuff seriously, and believe it has relevance to the Bible and the supernatural. Now those people are also crazy, but they literally do believe in magic--they just have other words for it.

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/OnlineDiscipleship/HarryPotterControversy/elliott_RichardAbanes.aspx
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/harrypotter.html

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2015, 05:56:05 PM »
sol, I'm honestly taken aback and a bit surprised. I thought there was a chance I was just misunderstanding you, but I now can't help but believe that there is some judgement in what you've been saying.

Yes, there is judgment.  Totally. 

My patience here is wearing thin.  I've been personally called all sorts of names in this thread, had my integrity and credibility and morality and even my rationality questioned, yet we're still talking about people who get their feelings hurt by the word "magic"?  No one else sees a double standard there? 

Look, religion is great.  But magic is bullshit.  If humanity is ever going to make any real progress, people are going to have to learn to separate the two from each other.  I'm not going to defend that opinion from people who claim the two are inevitably intertwined, because they are wrong.  There was no global flood.  It's a lie.  There was no man in a whale.  It's a lie.  There was no talking snake.  It's a lie.  And there was no man who rose from the dead.  It's a lie.  These things cannot and did not happen and I think everyone here knows it if they are honest with themselves.  Those things are all magical, and unrelated to the good parts of religion, which should be cherished and celebrated.

It wouldn't bother me so much if people wanted to believe in magic privately.  But Christianity in America is anything but private.  It guides national policy on scientific research.  It dictates what is and isn't shown on television or reported in the news.  Politicians are absolutely required to say they believe in magic, in order to get elected.  These things are offensive.  Way more offensive than anything one dude on the internet might write down, because they are honestly harming our nation and I'm just blathering.

I feel that your tone is incredibly unhelpful and belittling in this particular post

Okay.  I've been struggling to keep my tone under control for about the past week of this thread, and today I'm tired of it so let's just have ourselves a little rant, shall we?

People are offended when I say biblical miracles didn't happen?  I'm offended by the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades and 9/11, which did.  You don't like my comments about magic?  I don't like witch burnings.  You think religion is a force for good in the world?  Maybe, but it's also the driving force behind countless wars.  You question my morality if I don't believe in the Bible?  I question the morality of anyone who thinks the Bible should be a source for moral guidance when it condones slavery, stoning rape victims, and sex with minors.  You think atheists are too adamantly insistent about their beliefs?  I think suicide bombers take the cake on that one, too.  You think reason and logic lead to immoral behavior?  Religion has given us ethnic cleansing and the oppression of women and homosexuals and human sacrifice and the systematic rape (and subsequent centuries-long cover up) of Catholic children.  Take a long look in that mirror before you get up in my face on this issue.

So maybe you can understand why my empathy levels fluctuate.  I've been trying to be compassionate, to help people see the error of their ways, to respect a person's right to find their own path in life.  But it gets harder and harder when I get repeatedly attacked for trying to offer people the obvious truth.

Here's the obvious truth:  science works.  It's a method for finding the truth, and it has consistently moved us in that direction for centuries, correcting past mistakes.  It's the grandest and best thing humanity has ever come up with, the purest form of human achievement imaginable, a system for moving away from falsehood and seeking what is right and true and correct.  In less than 500 years it has taken us farther than religion did in the preceding 10,000.

If your beliefs are in conflict with science, they are wrong.  And I don't want to hear any complaints about how science is sometimes wrong too, because we wouldn't know science had ever been wrong if science wasn't a self-correcting mechanism for finding what is right.  Of course science makes mistakes, that's how the process for finding and correcting mistakes must necessarily work.  Magic has no such process; it is wrong to begin with and it stays that way forever.

Being religious is great.  Believing magic is dumb, and is just as deserving of being mocked and insulted as if you were a racist, or a homophobe, or doctor who promotes cigarettes.    I can only be nice to such people for so long, and today was apparently the end of my rope.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »
sol, I'm honestly taken aback and a bit surprised. I thought there was a chance I was just misunderstanding you, but I now can't help but believe that there is some judgement in what you've been saying.

Here's the obvious truth:  science works.  It's a method for finding the truth, and it has consistently moved us in that direction for centuries, correcting past mistakes.  It's the grandest and best thing humanity has ever come up with, the purest form of human achievement imaginable, a system for moving away from falsehood and seeking what is right and true and correct.  In less than 500 years it has taken us farther than religion did in the preceding 10,000.

If your beliefs are in conflict with science, they are wrong. And I don't want to hear any complaints about how science is sometimes wrong too, because we wouldn't know science had ever been wrong if science wasn't a self-correcting mechanism for finding what is right.  Of course science makes mistakes, that's how the process for finding and correcting mistakes must necessarily work.  Magic has no such process; it is wrong to begin with and it stays that way forever.

Yes. There is no middle ground on this one. You can believe in things that are demonstrably untrue, and it might make your personal life and emotional landscape better. But they are still not true. And nothing people come up with to soften the terminology will make them true.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
This thread is a classic example of why certain subjects should never be discussed on an internet forum. It's never productive. Everyone comes to the table with their own agenda, a desire to make it known that everyone else is wrong, and doing so while working with a communication format that simply does not work when dealing with controversy. Politics and religion on a forum: It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: September 12, 2015, 07:09:57 PM »
doing so while working with a communication format that simply does not work when dealing with controversy.

Ironically, we argue using a communication format that was wholly created by science, the very thing half of this thread is saying doesn't exist.

If any of you are uncertain about where you fall on the science vs religion spectrum, I suggest you trying giving each one of them up for a week just to see how it goes. 

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: September 12, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »
IMO, the reason that religious folks find the term magic offensive and get their backs up when it is used is because on some level, they know their beliefs don't hold up to scrutiny. 

I have a very Catholic sister who is an ESL teacher.  One year, she had a student from China who termed all religion as mythology.  She complained about it to me and couldn't believe anyone could group her (obviously correct) religion with that of the Greeks, Norse or Romans, which to her were obviously ridiculous.  I asked her to explain the difference and... crickets.  She is an intelligent woman, but had never seriously considered why her beliefs should demand respect, but those of the ancients should not.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: September 12, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Sol, ffs, can you not insult me cause you are pissy at the Christians.  Seriously.  Science does not have the answer for how some people's minds are able to use a sugar pill and be cured (though I'd love to figure it out) and what most people call placebos, we pagans call magic. I would be perfectly fine with science figure out all the things we call magic but please until we do, don't call it dumb.  Maybe we pagans (and some eastern practitioner) are right and bodies can be effected by others' energy and that energy can be used to heal.  Pagans (and eastern practitioners) used potions (called magic by the common person) to heal and we have later discovered that they have a chemical reason for acting in the way the practitioner proscribed (see white willow bark as an example).
I get why you are pissed but come on.  You came off way better before your rant.  It is not calling something magic or religious that you seemed mad at before but the actions of those who hid behind those terms as a shield for their bad acts.  If how I read that is true, focus on that please.   
That said, Nice, Christians who are whining because people are mean to them when their actions are just as bad, if not worse.  Christians in this country are the majority and do attack members of the minority, physically, fiscally and emotionally.  You don't get empathy from those groups when you then complain about them being "mean" or non-empathetic.  I'll be empathetic when I don't know friends who lost jobs for being pagan (because of Christian action) or for being gay or atheist.  I'll be empathetic when I don't know kids who were bullied on the playground and called devil worshiper and the school did nothing because he was atheist.   I'll be empathetic when you don't have to be a Christian to win elections in the majority of areas, where the accusation of being pagan is considered dirt on a political opponent.  I'll be empathetic when Christians don't attack at woman's home for being an open pagan. 
Tell me again why pagans, atheists etc should be so empathetic and understanding of how it feels when someone is being mean to you.  Again, I say get over it because Christians are getting better than they are giving out (in general).  You are complaining about less than I personally dealt with as child, as a pagan so seriously your issues, as adults, are so miniscule they don't even warrant empathy.  Fix the crap pagans and atheists get every fucking day, then come back.  Sol has a damn good point that he has personally be insulted multiple times in this thread (as have I), yet very few have gave a damn, where is your empathy.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #339 on: September 12, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
Science does not have the answer for how some people's minds are able to use a sugar pill and be cured (though I'd love to figure it out) and what most people call placebos, we pagans call magic. I would be perfectly fine with science figure out all the things we call magic but please until we do, don't call it dumb. 

Placebo isn't magic, it's psychology. So yeah, science does understand that.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2015, 07:49:07 PM »
Science does not have the answer for how some people's minds are able to use a sugar pill and be cured (though I'd love to figure it out) and what most people call placebos, we pagans call magic. I would be perfectly fine with science figure out all the things we call magic but please until we do, don't call it dumb. 

Actually we have do not. knowledge of how the placebo effect works, otherwise we would be able to tell you which people would be effected, and which would not and the biological pathway that allowed them to be.  Unless that data has come out and I missed it (which I doubt, it would likely be in a high impact journal) in which case I would like a citation.  There has been research into it (technically we now call most of the research neuroscience not biological psych), but no we don't 100% know how it works. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:51:55 PM by Gin1984 »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »

Actually we have do not. knowledge of how the placebo effect works, otherwise we would be able to tell you which people would be effected, and which would not and the biological pathway that allowed them to be.  Unless that data has come out and I missed it (which I doubt, it would likely be in a high impact journal) in which case I would like a citation.  There has been research into it (technically we now call most of the research neuroscience not biological psych), but no we don't 100% know how it works. 
We don't know 100% how almost anything works. But they have tested different ways of delivering placebos and the degree of believability that the fake thing is actually real plays a role in how much better the person reports being. The more painful or expensive or difficult something is (i.e. the more convincing that it's real), the better it seems to work.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
...Science does not have the answer for how some people's minds are able to use a sugar pill and be cured (though I'd love to figure it out) and what most people call placebos, we pagans call magic....

Science makes no claim to having all the answers. Science is a process for obtaining knowledge about the world. It is a process that takes time. Our models are always evolving and improving to take into account new information. Scientists do not generally believe that they have everything figured out. Instead, they are always looking to falsify their theories and iterate and improve their work. There are actually countless things that science does not understand.

However, to a scientist, these areas that aren't understood yet are viewed as subjects for further research, not as unknowable mystical phenomena. It is unclear to me what value it adds to label areas for future research as "magic". Even gravity is not well-understood on a theoretical level because of the basic inconsistency of general relativity with quantum mechanics, but I wouldn't say that magic attracts us to Earth and prevents us from floating off into space.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: September 12, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
This thread is a classic example of why certain subjects should never be discussed on an internet forum. It's never productive. Everyone comes to the table with their own agenda, a desire to make it known that everyone else is wrong, and doing so while working with a communication format that simply does not work when dealing with controversy. Politics and religion on a forum: It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.

I disagree, as evidenced by the counterexamples and considered opinions to the contrary in this old thread -- in particular, see this sage post from skyrefuge:

I see political arguments flare up on the MMM forums from time to time with people throwing out talking points from the right and left and at the end of the thread for the most part everyone feels how they did going into it.

As this thread is revealing, I believe the above viewpoint ("Internet arguments are pointless") is unnecessarily cynical and untrue.

First, the "bystanders" who are reading but not actively participating are almost surely learning something from one or both sides.

Second, while the active participants rarely show a change in viewpoint by the end of the thread, since their focus has shifted almost completely from "learning" to "winning the argument", the end of the thread is not the end of their brains. The active competition of the argument fades with time, but the ideas of the opposing party can still stay lodged in your brain somewhere. Then, when a related issue is encountered, in a new, non-adversarial setting, those ideas can rise to the fore, and result in a slight shift in thinking even if you aren't consciously aware that the shift was caused by that old argument you had with that libertard/rethuglican idiot. Rinse, repeat, and slowly but surely, minds can be changed.

People just need to be allowed a venue in which they can change their minds without feeling like that means they've "lost", and I think in most cases, a little time and distance from the initial argument can provide that venue.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: September 12, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »
Sol, ffs, can you not insult me cause you are pissy at the Christians. 

Sorry Gin, I was afraid you might take it that way.

I wasn't using the word magic to refer to your kind of magic, I was using it to refer to all things in all religions that are factually impossible. 

My wife read that post and had the same complaint, that people would be confused because I failed to make the distinction clear.  She understands that I support the community and humanitarian aspects of religion but have no patience for people who argue with reality, but she thought other people wouldn't see the distinction.

As an example, prayer doesn't work.  There have been several large scale double-blind studies from people of all faiths to test the impact of prayer, and without exception they all show it does not work.  Praying for your sick relative does not make them heal any faster.  Praying for lottery numbers does not make them come up more often.  Praying has no impact on the real world (but it does make people feel better).  Prayer is magic.  It's a scientifically disproven belief in supernatural forces that don't actually exist.  Persisting in believing in the healing power of prayer is like saying you believe in horoscopes or tea leaves.  It's dumb.

what most people call placebos, we pagans call magic.

If pagans call psychological effects magical because they happen inside of the brain, that's fine but it's not exactly common usage for the word magic.

Pagans (and eastern practitioners) used potions (called magic by the common person) to heal and we have later discovered that they have a chemical reason for acting in the way the practitioner proscribed (see white willow bark as an example).

When natural remedies work, which is pretty common, it is because there is a scientific reason for why they work.  It's not magic, it's the opposite of magic.  Magic would mean there is no reason.

Tim Minchin says "You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?  Medicine."

the accusation of being pagan is considered dirt on a political opponent.

Yea, atheists still have this problem too.  Like "pagan" it's common used by Christians as derogatory and insulting term, but like black people of past generations I'm working on reclaiming the word for my own ends.  If "atheist" means "this person does not believe in things that are not true" then I'm okay calling myself an atheist.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:13:07 PM by sol »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
Even gravity is not well-understood on a theoretical level because of the basic inconsistency of general relativity with quantum mechanics, but I wouldn't say that magic attracts us to Earth and prevents us from floating off into space.

Sometimes you slay me.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
...Science does not have the answer for how some people's minds are able to use a sugar pill and be cured (though I'd love to figure it out) and what most people call placebos, we pagans call magic....

Science makes no claim to having all the answers. Science is a process for obtaining knowledge about the world. It is a process that takes time. Our models are always evolving and improving to take into account new information. Scientists do not generally believe that they have everything figured out. Instead, they are always looking to falsify their theories and iterate and improve their work. There are actually countless things that science does not understand.

However, to a scientist, these areas that aren't understood yet are viewed as subjects for further research, not as unknowable mystical phenomena. It is unclear to me what value it adds to label areas for future research as "magic". Even gravity is not well-understood on a theoretical level because of the basic inconsistency of general relativity with quantum mechanics, but I wouldn't say that magic attracts us to Earth and prevents us from floating off into space.

Thanks, Cathy. The difficulty the majority of citizens have understanding what science is and what scientist do makes me crazy. I tried to offer a basic explanation early in the thread, but sometimes it's like explaining to a teflon wall. The ability to falsify the thing you are testing is the key, and it's what allows scientific knowledge to progress.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »

Thanks, Cathy. The difficulty the majority of citizens have understanding what science is and what scientist do makes me crazy. I tried to offer a basic explanation early in the thread, but sometimes it's like explaining to a teflon wall. The ability to falsify the thing you are testing is the key, and it's what allows scientific knowledge to progress.
I find both your and Cathy's respondes amusing because I am a research scientist who majored in psychology and have a master's in neuroscience.  Being religious does not make you a bad scientist, nor does it make me unaware of the advances in my own field.  In addition, saying we call it magic does not mean I won't investigate and try to find out answers.  It does mean that I am aware of both my religious beliefs and how science looks at something. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:59:58 PM by Gin1984 »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
sol,
Of course Christians feel like they are under attack.  Because they ARE.  Science and faith are in direct conflict with one another.  And faith is losing.  Christians are correct that their fundamental world views are being systemically undercut. Not by lubruhls, but by science itself.  50 years ago it was possible to be an (intellectually) honest Christian.  Today it is not.  And this causes them existential panic and dread.  And much gnashing of teeth, and possibly some rending of clothing.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »

I find both your and Cathy's respondes amusing because I am a research scientist who majored in psychology and have a master's in neuroscience.  Being religious does not make you a bad scientist, nor does it make me unaware of the advances in my own field.  In addition, saying we call it magic does not mean I won't investigate and try to find out answers.  It does mean that I am aware of both my religious beliefs and how science looks at something.

I never said and never would that being religious makes someone a bad scientist. (It might, but there are crappy scientists for plenty of other reasons besides that...thankfully, the process itself eventually weeds out the crap of the crappy scientists). I said the majority of people in the country don't seem to understand what the scientific method actually DOES, and therefore how we (as scientists) come to the conclusions we do. And various posters on this thread have amply demonstrated that confusion.