Author Topic: Why NFL player Ryan Broyles lives like he made $60,000 last year, and not $600K  (Read 3223 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Wow, except for the RichDadPoorDad shout-out, this guy really has his shit together. Even the "60,000" he supposedly spends includes 20% toward savings. Sensible parents, good mentors, spouse onside, math, awareness of the precariousness of his income... it's really come together well for him.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
It sounds like he has is act together because a lot of caring people took the time to share with him. I like the rich dad poor dad shout out. He will probably out-grow it at some point. However, it's a great starting point for many people.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Wow, he really sounds like he has his act together. Great for him that he is married to someone with her head on straight who supports living a rational lifestyle. I wish them the best.

Dartwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was actually just wondering about this the other day! So many athletes end up poor later in life because they spend everything they earn – I was wondering how many frugal* professional athletes exist.

*Living on $60,000/year is not exactly cutting corners for a middle-class lifestyle, but compared to a salary of $600,000... he's totally set when his career in football is over.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Obviously he's done a lot of reading about finances. Great story!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
I've very surprised he has car payments.  I suppose they could be at a super low rate, making it better to invest (we all know the debate as it has been hashed and rehashed here).  He seems like he's doing quite well, and shockingly well compared to most of his peers, but a few small tweaks, like buying used cars, seem like they would be very well aligned with his goals and outlook, and would help him make even more progress toward FIRE.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!