Author Topic: Tynan post "Infinite Runway"  (Read 2223 times)

crimwell

• Stubble
Tynan post "Infinite Runway"
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Very mustachian-reminiscent post from productivity/digital nomad/philosophy blogger Tynan. The viewpoint is sort of like a cross between MMM and 4-Hour-Workweek (or Will Prowse), since it emphasizes "low-maintenance" (not passive) income, but it also goes into detail about the same concepts that MMM has emphasized that cutting recurring costs has a much greater effect much quicker.

http://tynan.com/runway

Runway is how many months you can live your current lifestyle based only on savings. If you spend $2000 per month and have $20,000 in the bank or other liquid assets, that's a 10 month runway. That's pretty good.
This sounds like a dream for people, but it's actually not that hard. Find a job that pays you $3000 per month. Live for $1000. In six months you have a full year of runway. Cut back on the job (or quit), and spend a year building some low-maintenance income. If you can get it to $1000 per month, you're done.

Actually I just read through the comments, which I hadn't before, and a commenter specifically mentions how mustachian the concept is.

Lordy

• Stubble
Re: Tynan post "Infinite Runway"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
I like Tynan's writing and this is another good article in his blog.

The basic formula is really simple: Reduce your living expenses to a minimum and find a way to finance this minimum without a 9-to-5 job. Once that's done, all options are open for you.

I find that Tynan fits very well into the MMM, 4HWW, Minimalist trifecta.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Tynan post "Infinite Runway"
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
I used to follow him pre-FIRE. Sounds like I should check in a little more often.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!