Author Topic: The Mustachian Weatherman and the power of FU money  (Read 4366 times)

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
The Mustachian Weatherman and the power of FU money
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »
Here is an article published today in Minneapolis about a popular local weatherman who up and quit his job last year so he could hang out with his family. I remember all the harsh internet comments about it last year, so it is great to get an update. While it mentions Dave Ramsey, he is certainly a Mustachian! The part I appreciate most is how he ended up getting a random job offer for a retirement planning firm due the publicity surrounding his situation…granted the retirement firm is most likely no Vanguard when it comes to its fee structure, it is still pretty badass.  Just a good story about the value of FU money.

http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-weatherman-forecasts-a-bright-future-after-dropping-out-of-the-rat-race/309564521/

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Mustachian Weatherman and the power of FU money
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
I like that one.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 05:17:39 PM »
I think it's a little funny that he's essentially saying "I'm kind of a big deal because I was a weatherman in Minneapolis". I get that not everyone makes it on TV. And that's probably in the top 50 media markets in the country. But he is just saying that it's going to be cold and snowy again in the winter.

I think retiring at 36 is far more of an accomplishment.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
Sounds like he wasn't FI, with only 5-6 years expenses. (After moving in with the in-laws).  That's a 16-20% WR, clearly not sustainable.

Still neat that he up and quit to spend more time with the family, and now helps others financially do the same. His spending and attitude towards money is definitely Mustachian.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:20:22 AM »
But he is just saying that it's going to be cold and snowy again in the winter.
Umm... no. The weather here gets really violent, given that we're far away from the mediating influence of the oceans. Things like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day_Blizzard tend to kill people. And there's still a lot of people living away from cities, where even a "normal" snowstorm can easily become deadly. San Diego it's not.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:33:01 AM »
Good story, it would be interesting to hear which job he enjoys more.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
Overwhelmingly positive comments in the Comments section, which is a rarity for these kinds of articles in my experience.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »
Sounds like he wasn't FI, with only 5-6 years expenses. (After moving in with the in-laws).  That's a 16-20% WR, clearly not sustainable.

I agree that this isn't really a story of being FIRE, but more about the value of FU money. I’m guessing if had actually found MMM instead of Dave Ramsey, this would be a story in the paper a couple years from now about him being FIRE instead of having enough money to “…live for five or six years with no income”.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »

I agree that this isn't really a story of being FIRE, but more about the value of FU money. I’m guessing if had actually found MMM instead of Dave Ramsey, this would be a story in the paper a couple years from now about him being FIRE instead of having enough money to “…live for five or six years with no income”.

Definitely.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »
I am surprised that this is written as a "success" story. This guy just screwed himself up. He quitted his job without first getting a job at the Sioux Falls station. His original intention was probably not getting unemployed.