Author Topic: Radical Personal Finance Podcast  (Read 37492 times)

schimt

• Bristles
Radical Personal Finance Podcast
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
If anyone is looking for a new finance podcast, available on his website below or iTunes and all the regular podcast apps.
http://radicalpersonalfinance.com/

A year ago, he released 10 podcasts with a few good interviews, such as the mad fientist, paula with afford anything and JL Collins.

Yesterday he re-released his 10 trial podcasts and gave a new into, and recently leaving his career as a financial planner, he intends to release podcasts full time moving forward.

He has a frugal outlook on his personal life, but is open minded and just looking to provide quality finance information and education. His mission is to provide enough content over time for someone to have the ability to take the CFP test and pass with just the info he is providing on the show, but not for that purpose specifically.

Anyways, i enjoyed his first 10 from a year ago and have been waiting for him to get back to this project and i think some of you may also enjoy it if you like finance podcasts.

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Radical Personal Finance Podcast
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
I've listened to a couple of these over the last week and I'll be continuing to listen. Good interview with Jakob ERE (loooooooong but interesting enough to hold my attention all the way through).

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »
The program I use to listen to podcasts downloads them via RSS - I can't seem to find an RSS link for this one though :(

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »
I just listened to that short 10 minute one he posted and loved it -- but does he post a new podcast every day???  I already follow too many podcasts and have trouble keeping up with the twice weekly ones, every day is nuts! 

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
I've listened to a couple of these over the last week and I'll be continuing to listen. Good interview with Jakob ERE (loooooooong but interesting enough to hold my attention all the way through).

Yes, that is my only complaint, is how long his podcasts are. There is a bunch of repetative comments that he makes, cut out that fluff and get more direct to the point, it would shorten them a fair amount and be perfect. And yes that was an evtremely long one, but i split it up and listened while drive and cleaning around the house.

I just listened to that short 10 minute one he posted and loved it -- but does he post a new podcast every day???  I already follow too many podcasts and have trouble keeping up with the twice weekly ones, every day is nuts! 

Yes his goal is to produce daily during the weekdays. He suggests subscribing to his page for email updates with the shows and then just listen to the ones that interest you. Because it will be a lot, and he doesn't produce short shows.

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »
I've listened to a bunch more and I enjoy them, but really I do wish he'd reduce the frequency. Once a week is good, especially if they are always going to be long. As somebody above also wrote, I already struggle to keep up with my podcasts and this guy really isn't helping! I'm not sure where he got the idea that daily podcasts are a GOOD idea but really they just make me listen to less of them!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
Just ran across this podcast from another thread (where he interviewed Jacob from ERE, and was asking about discussion topics here).  Looks like the host of the podcast is a MMM forum reader.  Would be neat to learn a little more about him.  7years, hope you see this and add some more info about your podcast!

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 06:06:20 AM »
Thanks @arebelspy! I'd be happy to add some more information.

I saw this thread a while ago but decided just to watch it so I could get the unfiltered feedback from listeners instead of perhaps anyone modifying their feedback because I'm here watching.

Also, I've pulled back from posting around here partly because of being super busy and partly because I don't want to hijack MMM's forum and use it as "free advertising." I love it when listeners mention my show because of the value it brings but I try to be really respectful of other people's internet property and not use it to pimp my stuff.

My story is that I've been a mustachian for a long time. And, mustachians are the perfect fit for my kind of content.

I became a professional financial planner because I loved working with people and helping them get rich, stay rich, and enjoy every day. I had a wonderful practice doing that but I was always annoyed by two things:

1-There's not much financial media that caters to people like me (and all of you) who think a different way. ERE and MMM are not new--they're following the principles laid down by the greats of the past (Robinson/Dominguez, Dacycyzn, Thorea, Stoics, etc.)--but they are doing a wonderful job of making it clear and relevant and inspiring in a modern age. But there's nothing on the radio or TV that doesn't cater to mainstream thought.

2-The biggest problem with working as a financial planner is that it seems that most clients weren't clear on the many, huge opportunities available to them! The challenge is that many people don't know what their goals actually are. That's the primary reason that planners get lumped together as "not getting it." Many of the clients we work for simply don't know what they want beyond the standard, mainstream approach that's preached from every financial magazine and media outlet.

I can't listen to any of the mainstream financial radio shows without being frustrated and I find it hard to listen to some of the financial podcasts/blogs because some hosts are well-meaning and sincere but are ignorant of some of the more advanced, highly technical aspects of the science of financial planning. (That's why, for example, we have endless arguments about paying off mortgages versus buying stocks and Traditional IRAs vs Roth IRAs.)

So, I decided I'd like to contribute and see if I could provide some value to people!

My show has four major goals:
1. Provide a replacement for mainstream daily, financial talk radio. That's why I've chosen the format I chose. Dave Ramsey broadcasts 5 days per week for three hours. If you cut out commercials, it winds up being about 1:45 to 1:50 of content. Clark Howard broadcasts 2 hours every day--probably about 1:15 of content. Although most financial podcasts are weekly, I think there's a market for those who listen to daily financial shows. Personally, I used to consume about 30 to 40 hours of audio per week, so I'm trying to provide content for those who have the time. I target about an hour of content but try to cut the show off when I feel the topic is done but I'm not worried about going longer if the topic needs it. That's the advantage of podcasting over radio. Radio is an awful format for trying to communicate complex information.

2. Teach people how to think like financial planners. I despise the dogma that exists in financial commentary. I used to be very dogmatic and I've learned the hard way not to be that way. I think the primary value that I can provide is to teach people how to think like a financial planner so they can find better ways to achieve their goals in their own unique way. MMM/ERE is a great path but there are many ways to achieve financial goals.

3. Highlight people doing awesome, unique things with money as a source of information and inspiration. There are so many interesting people in the world living interesting lives and I love to learn about them. I think many of our issues are not money issues but rather not being in the right lifestyle fit to begin with.

4. Teach the science of financial planning in a systematic way that's accessible for a layperson. I'm not aware of any online resource for someone to learn the science of financial planning in a systematic, unbiased way. Many people are interested in the content but there's simply not a resource where they can learn without taking the formal classes. That's why there are so many forum arguments among well-intentioned participants. I'm trying to take all the boring classes I've taken over the years and translate them into interesting content that will take someone from zero knowledge of financial planning through masters' degree level over time.

It's been way, way more challenging to do than I thought it would be. But, I'm learning a ton and getting better and better every day.

I believe very much in the ready, fire, aim approach and that's what I'm doing. I started and I'm learning and improving every day.

I've had amazing feedback from many, many people and I'm committed to doing a minimum of 1,000 shows. Hopefully many more after that, but I'm committed to 1,000 shows.

I'm working hard to tighten things up and develop new skills. I'm working hard to stay very focused and targeted, not to ramble, and to use exactly the perfect amount of time for a show--as long as it needs to be to effectively communicate and not a minute longer.

I've never been a broadcaster or had any training in broadcasting so I've got a steep learning curve!

Because this show is in addition to my other business pursuits and I have a staff size of me, I'm not able to take the time to go through and edit it carefully every day or add some of the fancier things I'd like to do. I have to do it in one take to get it out. But, I'm getting better!

I'm also learning how to take complex technical content and translate it into an audio format. I think that's a huge benefit of the show and I want to do a good job with it!

So, there's a long-winded answer for you. (shocking, I know! :) I thank you all for your helpful feedback! It's so exciting to see people learning and appreciating what I'm doing.

If you have show topics or guest suggestions for me, let me know. I'd be happy to work them in!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
Appreciate the insight, 7years!

I just found the podcast yesterday and am halfway through the JLF ERE episode, but I'm looking forward to checking out others.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 06:03:02 AM »
I hope you enjoy! We've got a wide variety of excellent content for your listening pleasure! :)

My motto is we discuss technical tax planning and blatant tax evasion, van dwelling and how to build a real estate empire, entrepreneurship and living on the dole, principles of investment and principles of money laundering!

Let me know if there's a topic you want me to cover. If I don't know anything about it I'll go find someone who does!

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:30:09 AM »
I came back to this thread because I just listened to (part of, so far) the podcasting conference edition where you seem to reference my question above, where I asked where you got the idea that daily podcasts are a good idea. Then I figured you must have read the thread and now I find that you've posted here, which is great and much appreciated.

I've listened to a lot of your podcasts since my comments above, and I still find it way too much, despite your reasoning. It actually annoys me, which is maybe a bit strong but it's true. I WANT to hear what you have to say and I LIKE your podcasts, but I work full time and I also have other podcasts I want to listen to and I want to spend time with my family sometimes too...

So OK too bad for me, because it's your podcast, and of course I can pick and choose which ones I listen to but in short, I feel that you expect an awful lot from your listeners if they want to hear what you have to say! I don't know who listens to 3 hours of Dave Ramsey a day but I really can't imagine that they are people with jobs and families.

Keep up the podcasts anyway because as I said I do really enjoy them and get a lot out of them even though I'm in the UK

FreeBy45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »
I really enjoyed the podcast about making $1M on a minimum wage salary. I convinced my non- mustachian sister to listen to it and she was very inspired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
I don't know who listens to 3 hours of Dave Ramsey a day

This is a good point.  Live radio is a different medium, so people tune in sometime during the show, and then tune out (likely when they get to their destination, as they were probably driving).

A podcast one typically downloads and listens to the entire thing.  Therefore it could be shorter but still have more listened to in terms of total time.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:11 AM »
I have one small stupid suggestion, 7Years:  you probably don't need to announce that you are pausing when you want to run and get a resource, correct?  You could just do it and we'd never know?  This obviously doesn't really matter but was just something I thought of when listening to a recent podcast.

I agree that an advantage of podcasting is that you are not stuck to hard time limits, but if I had to choose I'd actually prefer that you cut down on the length of each episode rather than the number.  Posting every day is a lot but it makes sense since you are often just covering a specific topic on each podcast - but I always hesitate before committing to listen to something more than an hour long. 

I do really like what you are trying to do here, especially the podcasts about people living alternative lifestyles. 

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Episode 54 has been my favorite. I also enjoyed #43. I don't know about other people but what I enjoy the most, personally, is the interviews with people who are FI or on their way. I liked 54 because John was very humble. He did not try to claim he has some kind of special sauce. Great work Josh.

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
7 years, I have listened to several shows so far, and have found them very interesting. I agree that the interviews are probably my favorites. I think you ask great questions of your guests and the conversations have a nice natural flow, like I'm just eavesdropping on two friends. It doesn't bother me at all that you are producing so much content. I guess some people feel obligated to "keep up" with a podcast once they start listening, but I just listen when I feel like it, pausing and coming back later for some of the longer ones. Knowing that I won't run out of episodes to listen to for a long time actually keeps me more interested. Some podcasters leave you waiting so long between episodes that you end up forgetting about them.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
I came back to this thread because I just listened to (part of, so far) the podcasting conference edition where you seem to reference my question above, where I asked where you got the idea that daily podcasts are a good idea. Then I figured you must have read the thread and now I find that you've posted here, which is great and much appreciated.

Yes, I read this thread and got emails and comments and reviews and face-to-face feedback all saying the same thing! Many, many voices so far...

I WANT to hear what you have to say and I LIKE your podcasts, but I work full time and I also have other podcasts I want to listen to and I want to spend time with my family sometimes too...

It's really quite simple...I just want you to drop all the other podcasts and listen to mine! ;)

I don't know who listens to 3 hours of Dave Ramsey a day but I really can't imagine that they are people with jobs and families.

I actually used to listen to 3 hours of Dave Ramsey a day...probably did for a year or two then I moved on because it was repetitive.  I've probably modeled my show the most on one of my other favorite shows which is http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ He's on about episode 1400 and I've probably listened to 1100 of his shows over the last 3 or 4 years. His is about an hour a day, five days a week. As far as format, it's the show I've enjoyed listening to the most consistently.

It's quite popular within its niche...I like listening because it's always fresh and new and interesting. He has a knack for finding great guests and teaching me something new all the time.

I'm hoping I can learn to create a similar listening experience for the audience, giving them one show they can come back to day after day and always find something interesting, thought provoking, educational, entertaining, and challenging. That way, they can subscribe to one feed instead of dozens and dozens of feed.

My suggestion to you is to borrow my trick. I listen to audio on 2x speed or higher...if you look at it that way, I have a 30 minute show!

On a serious note, I do thank you for listening and I do appreciate the feedback. I'm not offended if you simply pick and choose what sounds interesting. Sign up for the email list and you'll get the show notes every day...if it doesn't sound fun to you just skip it!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »
I really enjoyed the podcast about making $1M on a minimum wage salary. I convinced my non- mustachian sister to listen to it and she was very inspired.

That makes my day! I worked hard on that show...ultimately, I wished it were better, clearer, more concise, etc. but I couldn't spend any more time tweaking or I never would have recorded it. I hope it's an inspiration to many people!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
This is a good point.  Live radio is a different medium, so people tune in sometime during the show, and then tune out.

Another challenge is that really, my show could be distributed on 3 or 4 different feeds. There could be an interview feed, a CFP-curriculum feed, a financial Q&A feed and an "opinion/politics/etc." feed.

In many ways they are all (or at least the first three) distinct. But I'm hoping people cross over.

The formal financial planning education shows are the least popular. But those are the ones I'm personally most excited about because if I feel like people had more of the formal education, they would understand more of the various controversies that exist and see through a lot of the crap advice.

Maybe someday I should set up different feeds for those who want the weekly format!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »
I have one small stupid suggestion, 7Years:  you probably don't need to announce that you are pausing when you want to run and get a resource, correct?  You could just do it and we'd never know? 

Yes, I actually do pause some times without mentioning it to take a sip of water or collect my thoughts. What's tough is to pause and then pick up the thought seamlessly if it's than a few seconds. I've made that mistake and had to start again...some of the rambling has also been because of that.

For my own sanity, I find it easier to announce I'm going to pause so that the listener can understand if the thought seems disconnected.

I agree that an advantage of podcasting is that you are not stuck to hard time limits, but if I had to choose I'd actually prefer that you cut down on the length of each episode rather than the number. 

I'm working hard on developing my skill and cutting that down. It's been pretty challenging. I really want each show to be exactly the right length. Not short to fit into some arbitrary time  limit but no longer than is necessary to convey the topic.

Also, with the interviews, I want a really good, juicy interview to be full and complete, regardless of length. But if an interview is dragging, I want to cut it off.

I'm learning! And I appreciate your feedback.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
Episode 54 has been my favorite. I also enjoyed #43. I don't know about other people but what I enjoy the most, personally, is the interviews with people who are FI or on their way. I liked 54 because John was very humble. He did not try to claim he has some kind of special sauce. Great work Josh.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try to interview a lot of investment people from diverse backgrounds. I can't stand the CNBC crowd but I find it really interesting to talk to portfolio managers and because of the industry rules, it's challenging to find open conversations between experts that you can eavesdrop on. I'm hoping to change that.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
It doesn't bother me at all that you are producing so much content. I guess some people feel obligated to "keep up" with a podcast once they start listening, but I just listen when I feel like it, pausing and coming back later for some of the longer ones. Knowing that I won't run out of episodes to listen to for a long time actually keeps me more interested. Some podcasters leave you waiting so long between episodes that you end up forgetting about them.

Thank you for the compliment. I do what you do. I think of things like blogs/podcasts/twitter/facebook/etc. like a large river rushing by. When I want some water, I just pop over for a dip and I do that as much as I want. But I don't try to drink the whole river. That's the only way I keep my sanity!

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
A bit of a thread bump because this show deserves it.

I still find the content quantity a bit overwhelming and I'm forced to keep skipping shows I would actually quite like to hear, but I'm really enjoying the podcast and definitely learning from it. I find it a bit hard to quantify exactly what I'm learning through each podcast but I feel I'm getting a more rounded perspective and making a lot of existing ideas more concrete.

I also enjoy the interviews, but also appreciate the more technical shows. I'm not US-based so I have to try and convert some of the advice but a lot is still relevant. I just ignore Roth IRA conversion ladders and such things :)

I would like to hear more interviews with people who are already FI, and see what they do with their time. I'm less interested in entrepreneurship, although I do agree that your focus on it is important, it's just not really my thing. I would like to hear a few lazy people who have interesting hobbies, travel etc. as that's more what I'm hoping to head for.

Keep it up the effort you put into all this content is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:12:25 PM by ozzage »

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »
Thanks so much for the thread bump! That's the kind of thing I can't ethically do myself...but I'm happy to have you do it! :)

I'm glad you're getting a more rounded perspective. The entire goal of my show is to bring you something thought-provoking every day. Some days it's a new idea, new strategy, new story or just a deeper analysis.

My hope is that by being exposed to a wide variety of information you'll be challenged to clearly define what you think is right for you and be able to defend it.

I actually don't have a specific agenda or philosophy that I'm trying to promote. I have my own viewpoints but they're quite out-of-the-mainstream and I'm not trying to specifically promote them.

Do you know of any lazy people you can suggest for me to interview? I actually find it hard to find lazy people who have achieved any level of financial success because usually they're still working a job they don't like and aren't being promoted because they're lazy!

Most of the people who've enjoyed financial success are driven in some way and seem to continue that after financial independence.

Let me know if you have some people you'd like me to interview.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Do you know of any lazy people you can suggest for me to interview? I actually find it hard to find lazy people who have achieved any level of financial success because usually they're still working a job they don't like and aren't being promoted because they're lazy!

There are some out there.  I'm the laziest person I know!  And I feel like I've achieved at least a basic level of financial success.

That's why I'm so driven towards FI - so I won't have to work!  FI is, among other things, the lazy man's way to sit around all day.

Most of the people who've enjoyed financial success are driven in some way and seem to continue that after financial independence.

Nope.  :)

There's a lot of us around, too.  If you search the forums you'll find threads about lazy methods to cook, bike, etc.

Heck, a poll from a year ago had 60% of forum Mustachians self-identifying as lazy:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/poll-are-you-lazy/

Here's a thread about people who say they just want to do nothing (and people debating what that really means, or offering suggestions for alternatives):
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/is-it-okay-if-your-true-personality-type-means-you-want-to-do-nothing/

Lots of people in either of those two threads you could contact to interview if you want to talk to lazy people.  ;)

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
@7years - I have listened to a few of your podcasts and really enjoy them.  Because they are a bit long I haven't gotten around to listen to more but I don't feel like they are too long.  The content that you present is seems just right for the length of each podcast.

Coincidentally I listened to your "Should I Pursue a Financial Planning Designation Just for My Own Knowledge?" just after I registered for a CFP course.  Initially it was primarily for personal knowledge and I do well in a classroom setting.  I agree that if you just want guidance on specific areas of financial planning then the course is overkill.  But I really like to get down to the nitty gritty as well as the behavioral/qualitative/subjective aspects of financial planning which my lecturer(s) are very good at discussing because they have been in the business for a while.

Keep up the great work.  I really enjoy the podcast format of how you deliver your content vs the traditional blog format, gives my eyes a break from the monitor!  I look forward to going trough your archives.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »
There are some out there. 

I'll give you your point--you have data that I didn't have when responding. It certainly seems that a majority of MMMers self identify as "lazy." But I think I found only two people in that whole thread who were actually lazy! The one that most seemed to qualify wasn't even writing (too much work)...it was "Spartana's" husband who doesn't bother to piddle around in ER forums and just hangs out all day.

Much like the issue with the meaning of "retirement," I think we have a grammar problem. We need more precise words.

For example, I can't stand the idea of spending effort to maintain a pretty green, manicured lawn. Seems totally stupid to me. I'd rather sit and read a book. But I'm likely to sit and read a book that really challenges me instead of always reading a fluffy novel. I really enjoy a nice fluffy novel sometimes, but I don't self identify as a "lazy" reader, so I wouldn't do too much of that.

Hmmm...maybe I'll coin some new words!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
Coincidentally I listened to your "Should I Pursue a Financial Planning Designation Just for My Own Knowledge?" just after I registered for a CFP course.  Initially it was primarily for personal knowledge and I do well in a classroom setting.  I agree that if you just want guidance on specific areas of financial planning then the course is overkill.  But I really like to get down to the nitty gritty as well as the behavioral/qualitative/subjective aspects of financial planning which my lecturer(s) are very good at discussing because they have been in the business for a while.

I'll be interested to hear your experience doing it that way. I can see a place for it, but most people would be bored out of their mind reading the necessary textbooks. I'd usually just point them in the direction of the meatier "normal" books.

I warn you though that you're doomed to be able to consume most financial literature after your CFP...you'll see the other side of every issue and will forever be doomed to playing devil's advocate!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
Much like the issue with the meaning of "retirement," I think we have a grammar problem. We need more precise words.

Certainly there's gradients of it, and likely a lot of conflation with the word procrastinator.

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 03:27:03 AM »
Hey mate, just because I can't pass up the opportunity to communicate directly with one of my regular podcast voices - thanks for the shows! I don't listen to all of them, as an Australian anything to do with American taxation/retirement is almost entirely irrelevant, but they're well-labeled so I'm able to pick and choose, as you obviously intend.

I'd like to give you some feedback, and I say this as a big fan hoping for more, better shows in the future - you have got to get your rambling under control. Your show would benefit massively from a bit of reflective editing. It's maddening sometimes how often you repeat things, apologise and second guess yourself. Sometimes I literally vocalise at you in my car - 'Get on with it!' I truly think if you did less, shorter episodes, with more time spent editing, you will be increasing the appeal of your podcast to a specifically podcast-consuming audience (as opposed to a radio audience).

Anyway, keep the content coming dude because it's awesome and you're doing a great thing - and your hard work is obvious.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:47 AM »
^^ On the other side of the fence - I don't mind the "rambling".  That could be because it gives me the opportunity to let the information sink in.  I'd find it harder to listen to if the information 'density' (so to speak) was increased but the length relatively unchanged.

I'll give you your point--you have data that I didn't have when responding. It certainly seems that a majority of MMMers self identify as "lazy." But I think I found only two people in that whole thread who were actually lazy! The one that most seemed to qualify wasn't even writing (too much work)...it was "Spartana's" husband who doesn't bother to piddle around in ER forums and just hangs out all day.

For example, I can't stand the idea of spending effort to maintain a pretty green, manicured lawn. Seems totally stupid to me. I'd rather sit and read a book. But I'm likely to sit and read a book that really challenges me instead of always reading a fluffy novel. I really enjoy a nice fluffy novel sometimes, but I don't self identify as a "lazy" reader, so I wouldn't do too much of that.

Hmmm...maybe I'll coin some new words!

A bit late, but there's the people with The Idler - they love their leisure and appear to be quite successful at it, too.

I'm sort of lazy - I find it difficult to put a sustained effort towards anything, so I'm compensating for my lack of dedication with investments.  I just want to give myself the opportunity to 'stand and stare', you know?

niatpac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • McCarthy Financial Planning
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »
I have been enojying the podcasts.  As a CPA and a closet wannabe CFP, I really enjoy the perspective and the breadth of information that is covered.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
an interview with arebelspy on the show! looking forward to it after work!

http://radicalpersonalfinance.com/78/

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 05:39:49 AM »
Hey mate, just because I can't pass up the opportunity to communicate directly with one of my regular podcast voices - thanks for the shows! I don't listen to all of them, as an Australian anything to do with American taxation/retirement is almost entirely irrelevant, but they're well-labeled so I'm able to pick and choose, as you obviously intend.

I'd like to give you some feedback, and I say this as a big fan hoping for more, better shows in the future - you have got to get your rambling under control. Your show would benefit massively from a bit of reflective editing. It's maddening sometimes how often you repeat things, apologise and second guess yourself. Sometimes I literally vocalise at you in my car - 'Get on with it!' I truly think if you did less, shorter episodes, with more time spent editing, you will be increasing the appeal of your podcast to a specifically podcast-consuming audience (as opposed to a radio audience).

Anyway, keep the content coming dude because it's awesome and you're doing a great thing - and your hard work is obvious.

By the way, thank you BattleP for the excellent comment and feedback. I really appreciate it!

You make an excellent point about the distinction in audience...I hear you loud and clear. Working hard to make it better and I appreciate the comments!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »
I just listened to the show and loved it! It was great to hear from Arebelspy and also wonderful to discover this show. One thing that really struck me was when Arebelspy talked about people fearing being woken up at 3am by a tenant and going on to say that this hadn't happened to him yet. This was one of my concerns as well. After hearing him talk about it, I realized I'm often woken at 2am or 3am but it isn't by a tenant. It is because of a server issue. So why is one a cause for worry and the other just a risk of working as a sys admin? I still don't think I want to own rentals, but it was great hearing the other side.

Also I'm pleased to have discovered this show. It's nice to have a podcast done by someone with a really good voice for audio. (And the information seems quite good as well. But I'm a sucker for a good voice.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »

One thing that really struck me was when Arebelspy talked about people fearing being woken up at 3am by a tenant and going on to say that this hadn't happened to him yet. This was one of my concerns as well. After hearing him talk about it, I realized I'm often woken at 2am or 3am but it isn't by a tenant. It is because of a server issue. So why is one a cause for worry and the other just a risk of working as a sys admin?

Hah, that's funny. :D

Also I'm pleased to have discovered this show. It's nice to have a podcast done by someone with a really good voice for audio. (And the information seems quite good as well. But I'm a sucker for a good voice.)

Right!?  I had listened to many of the back issues of the podcast, but I only listen to podcasts on 2x speed, so voices are all warped.

Then when he first called and said hello, I was taken aback. What a deep and sultry voice. Rather distracting to his interviewees, if you ask me.  :P

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
I like the podcasts and have no problem with the time or? and AREBELSPY/ Joe as said so often in other formats be it a singer, radio whatever your voice is not what I expected, I cant even say what i was expecting.

7year as Joe here at MMM , keep up the good work! its appreciated by more folks than I am sure you guys can even imagine!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
What a deep and sultry voice. Rather distracting to his interviewees, if you ask me.  :P

:D I'll keep that in mind. Perhaps I can be a bit rude or caustic to keep interviewees from being too distracted.

Spartana

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »

But I think I found only two people in that whole thread who were actually lazy! The one that most seemed to qualify wasn't even writing (too much work)...it was "Spartana's" husband who doesn't bother to piddle around in ER forums and just hangs 
Umm...you talkin' about me? I haven't had a husband in at least a decade and he wasn't lazy (unlike lazy me :-)!) as he was king of the workaholics (but a frugal minimalist mustachian guy) and the most physically active person I have ever met in my life with a million interesting and exciting things in his life, so maybe there is another Spartana on these boards. Must...seek...out...and...destroy....

OK so it wasn't me and my non-existent hubby but I am probably what some would call "lazy" in the same way that Arebelspy described lazy. FI/RE'd basically so I could play sports and do lots of fun activities and then sit around eating ice cream, watch some TV and read...this forum and listen to podcasts to recuperate. Now THAT's living!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:33:16 AM by Spartana »

Spartana

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
BTW - Just listened to a few more of the podcasts and really enjoyed them. Being a busy/lazy FI/RE person I can't listen to them all in full in one sitting but can go back later and listen when I have the time.  Agree with the others who said they enjoy the stories about people who have attained FI and ER already and those who live somewhat off beat ways to make that happen.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »
I just discovered this podcast, and it looks great! I really love the depth and breadth of all the various topics. I often find myself getting frustrated with "standard" financial advice for the normals, because so many of the underlying assumptions simply don't apply to Mustachians. For example, I recently found myself recharacterizing my IRA from Roth to traditional after reading The Mad Fientist and having the lightbulb moment of: If I'm socking away 50+% of my current income and I plan on further cutting expenses in retirement, I will NEVER be in a higher tax bracket when retired, so why the heck am I doing a Roth?! The conventional wisdom that one "needs" to replace one's entire income during retirement is just plain wrong for Mustachians.

I do have a friendly comment as a relatively new listener, though. The podcast feed in iTunes only goes back 50 episodes, and the daily updates push older episodes off the feed rather quickly. I know you can download back episodes off the website, but those mp3s are treated as music files rather than as podcasts, which means I can't mainline them at 2x speed, which is how I usually listen to podcasts. Is it possible to bump up the number of episodes in the feed? The Freakonomics feed goes back 150 episodes, Listen Money Matters goes to 206, and Planet Money all the way to 301! I really want to check out some of the stuff prior to August, but the thought of having to go through it all at 1x playback is giving me heart palpitations, LOL.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 05:46:29 AM »
I just discovered this podcast, and it looks great! I really love the depth and breadth of all the various topics. I often find myself getting frustrated with "standard" financial advice for the normals, because so many of the underlying assumptions simply don't apply to Mustachians. For example, I recently found myself recharacterizing my IRA from Roth to traditional after reading The Mad Fientist and having the lightbulb moment of: If I'm socking away 50+% of my current income and I plan on further cutting expenses in retirement, I will NEVER be in a higher tax bracket when retired, so why the heck am I doing a Roth?! The conventional wisdom that one "needs" to replace one's entire income during retirement is just plain wrong for Mustachians.

I do have a friendly comment as a relatively new listener, though. The podcast feed in iTunes only goes back 50 episodes, and the daily updates push older episodes off the feed rather quickly. I know you can download back episodes off the website, but those mp3s are treated as music files rather than as podcasts, which means I can't mainline them at 2x speed, which is how I usually listen to podcasts. Is it possible to bump up the number of episodes in the feed? The Freakonomics feed goes back 150 episodes, Listen Money Matters goes to 206, and Planet Money all the way to 301! I really want to check out some of the stuff prior to August, but the thought of having to go through it all at 1x playback is giving me heart palpitations, LOL.

+1  I found this podcast a few weeks ago, and can't get back to the beginning in iTunes!  And I've downloaded files off a different podcast's website that ended up in my music area instead of podcast area, and it wreaks havoc.  But every few days I have to be sure to go back and download a few more in the 40-50 range on iTunes so they don't disappear before I get to them. (I have a 3 mbps internet; only download 4 or 5 hours worth of content at a time or my laptop will shut down before it's done downloading).

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
7Years, I recently found your podcast thanks to this thread.

I'm in the thick of a long, slow grind toward eradicating a mortgage-worth of law school loans.  It's hard and sometimes it really gets me down.  I find myself coming back to this blog/ forum and your podcasts for the reinforcement I need to keep going.   One particularly hard morning, about a week ago, I listened to three shows in a row and it helped me remember that I can do this.

I loved the show on cultivating inexpensive hobbies (mountain biking v. motorcycles).

So.... Thanks and please keep 'em coming.

bdoubleu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
This is exactly what I have been looking for in a podcast!  I typically listen to Dave Ramsey, simply for the constant motivation (or reinforcement??).  I don't follow most of what he says, but perhaps I like the subliminal background noise, which seems to keep me on track mentally. 

What a spectacular upgrade - appreciate the length and frequency of new podcasts, keep it up!!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
The conventional wisdom that one "needs" to replace one's entire income during retirement is just plain wrong for Mustachians.

Conventional wisdom makes good soundbites and magazine articles, but it doesn't often serve your specific interests!

The podcast feed in iTunes only goes back 50 episodes, and the daily updates push older episodes off the feed rather quickly.

Thanks. I plan to update this as I'm able...I need to change the way the feed is delivered. Right now, I'm delivering the feed through Feedburner and there's a cap of how many episodes it will deliver.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
Thanks to all of you for the excellent comments. I appreciate the kind words and feedback. You keep listening, enjoying, and giving feedback and I'll keep bringing the show! I appreciate each of you for listening.

The Resilent Dame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
I just wanted to put another plug in to this podcast.

My very un-mustaschian 150 mile per day commute is made much more tolerable with this podcast. Somehow you seem to have a great lack of dogma, yet strong opinions, and you express them very well. I started my career as a young financial planner in a bank who quit because I felt like a fraud because of my lack of experience, so I do like your background in that because I relate well.

The variety of guests are great. Over the last couple of years I've become a podcastaholic because of my commute, and I think this one is my all-time favorite. Keep up the great work!

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 05:27:47 AM »
Thanks so much Dame! That means a lot. I think a lot about people like you when doing the show. My goal is to keep the show topics varied enough that it's the kind of thing you'll want to hear every day.

You keep listening and I'll keep doing them! :)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
Hey 7years I heard you on the MoneyPlanSOS podcast-I liked all of your points about one time being a Dave Ramsey fan but now having a greater perspective.  I was also a big fan (am still a somewhat fan) but I certainly wasn't as enthusiastic as you!  And now I take bits and pieces of his advice and use it in my life, just like I do any other source of information.  Just wanted to say that I heard you over there, and it was a good discussion :)

Scooter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »
7years, another fan here. Thanks for what you do.