Author Topic: Quora: What is it like to be discreetly wealthy?  (Read 9388 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Quora: What is it like to be discreetly wealthy?
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
This makes for good reading:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-be-discreetly-wealthy

Stealth wealth!

I dare say many of you could probably add to this thread :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Re: Quora: What is it like to be discreetly wealthy?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »
FWIW, it's not so much an article as many people commenting based upon their own experiences with the topic. I really enjoyed the variety of responses, but I agree - some are certainly more stealth than others!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
I never used the site before and thought the first posting was an 'article' and the rest was comments.  Now I get it - thanks!

Yeah, no problem at all! I can definitely see how it would read that way :)
I really enjoy Quora and the comments get upvoted based upon popularity. I spent at least an hour reading the comments and it really put me in a "millionaire next door" state of mind!

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »
I had the same issue with not understanding the website! Overall, it is a cool link. Thanks for sharing.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
I enjoyed that. I wonder how many of the contributions came from mustachians...

However. The guy who has $65M but cancelled a holiday because he didn't want to take unpaid leave after using up all his paid leave on illness worries me. I get that he still has a work ethic and enjoys working a normal job and living a normal life despite his wealth, but time spent relaxing with family is worth so much more than a few weeks of a middle class salary.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:43:50 PM »
I enjoyed that. I wonder how many of the contributions came from mustachians...

However. The guy who has $65M but cancelled a holiday because he didn't want to take unpaid leave after using up all his paid leave on illness worries me. I get that he still has a work ethic and enjoys working a normal job and living a normal life despite his wealth, but time spent relaxing with family is worth so much more than a few weeks of a middle class salary.

Yeah... #notamustachian

The variety of responses was interesting. I just really like how it put me into a stealth millionaire mindset. Most of the tv and blogs I consume put me in a "glittering rich" mindset. Although watching "The Handmaid's Tale" has been great for making me feel so wealthy and free!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »
I would never flash wealth for the simple reason that I don't want other people asking me for money. I drive a $1500 car on purpose (2003 Pontiac Vibe with 205K miles). I love showing it off to my tenants when I stop by the house for minor repairs. For social talk, I talk about feeding my kid and paying my student loans, which are both true.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »
Some of the comments reminded me of the old money blog (https://theoldmoneybook.com/).  It's a good read though the fetishism of New England prep goes a little far for me. 

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
We're certainly not rich (still in the low six figures), especially compared to those people, but definitely doing better than most. My wife the other day asked me what I thought other people would think of us if they knew how much money we had.

I don't actually know the answer to that question. I'd imagine some jealousy and possibly disbelief.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 04:12:41 AM »
That was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you liked it!

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
Quora often reminds me of MMM, incredibly smart people willing to share their advice and opinions.

Kuznec

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
We're certainly not rich (still in the low six figures), especially compared to those people, but definitely doing better than most. My wife the other day asked me what I thought other people would think of us if they knew how much money we had.

I don't actually know the answer to that question. I'd imagine some jealousy and possibly disbelief.

Smart people do not divide the rest of the people in terms of the amount of money they have.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
Quora often reminds me of MMM, incredibly smart people willing to share their advice and opinions.

Quora is a pretty amazing community.  I'm always impressed at the answers I find there. And the occasional "celebrity" who has given well thought out answers to relevant questions.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!