Author Topic: Quebec engineering student lives in his van  (Read 1936 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Quebec engineering student lives in his van
« on: March 13, 2017, 05:52:02 AM »
...and has for three years:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1021894/fourgonnette-appartement-philippe-naud-universite-laval

(note:article in French)

Pretty badass.... Quebec City is cold in the winter. But it looks well-insulated, and he says he can keep it at 20 degrees C overnight.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Re: Quebec engineering student lives in his van
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
I was just talking about it with my BF, and we aren't convinced it was that good an investment. If you think about it, he shelled 10,000$ for this, he has to pay his license and registration, + insurance.

Whereas a student room here in Québec City can run about 300$ a month everything included. If he doesn't need a car as a mode of transportation (most people don't here), even if he also pays 100$ a month for the bus, it would take a few years of living in a student room before he comes out to the cost of his van.

In a city like San Francisco or New York, where rentals are super expensive, I can understand that this makes sense. But I don't think that in Québec City it's the best move. Although, more power to him for finding alternative living situations if it makes him happy!

kelvin

• Stubble
Re: Quebec engineering student lives in his van
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:58 AM »
It says he lives in it for "several months a year". He might be travelling for work/co-op and living in the van during the semesters, which means he doesn't want a one-year lease. Subletting is possible, but problematic - roommates moving in or out, roommates getting significant others or bringing pets into student housing is always an issue. I moved frequently during my student years, usually for roommate reasons. If I could've afforded an apartment of my own, it would have made things simpler. A van like this is a great compromise.

Having a vehicle also opens up job opportunities once he graduates.