Author Topic: Obnoxiously good with money  (Read 28999 times)

englyn

• Bristles
Obnoxiously good with money
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »
Found this over at A Practical Wedding today and it's too good not to share.

To make matters worse, my husband is really, really good with the money. Like, obnoxiously good.

The guy has an Excel file with twenty-three tabs tracking everything from cash flow to family gifts to frequent flyer miles. There are sub-dashboards and a master dashboard that helps him visually track progress against savings and investment goals. His ducks aren’t just in a row—they are marching lockstep and doing complicated military parade maneuvers.

(emphasis mine)
BWAHAHAHAHA those ducks! brilliant.

http://apracticalwedding.com/2015/03/slayed-secret-money-shame-rescued-debt/
(No, I'm not planning a wedding any more, but I stick around the website anyway for its sage life and relationship advice.)

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
Re: Obnoxiously good with money
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
That is funny.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Wonder if he's a mustachian??

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
Seems like he is, whether he is or isn't!  If you know what I mean.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
That's awesome, if he can avoid being too neurotic/type A.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
Wish I could have a blank copy of that excel file...

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
Meh. I keep it all in my head.  When see a fancy spreadsheet all I can think about is all the time that went into it that could have been used to do something productive, or at least fun, I say as I type away on an internet forum! I guess some people really do enjoy it, as it fills their need for control.   

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »

Ok everyone, raise your hand if this was your first thought as well.  *raises hand*

*raises hand*

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »

Ok everyone, raise your hand if this was your first thought as well.  *raises hand*

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

I now feel the need to create a dashboard!

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
This dude sounds like we'd get along just fine. My dashboard is attached. I'm sure some things about it are idiosyncratic, but it works well for me. It's evolved over the years.

I just counted my spreadsheet, I've got 20 tabs. Not sure what his other 3 are.  :)

*Edit* I finally took the time to update my spreadsheet and add a bunch of metrics that I've been individually tracking. New one is attached!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:49:27 AM by IndyPendent »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

Yeah, my curiosity was immediately piqued. I use Personal Capital, but it has its shortcomings. I've felt the urge to start tracking expenses with a spreadsheet again after I started doing a small amount of manufactured spending to earn points in preparation for an upcoming trip to Europe. It's made my PC homepage a mess, and there's no good way to correct it.

xenon5

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

Yeah, my curiosity was immediately piqued. I use Personal Capital, but it has its shortcomings. I've felt the urge to start tracking expenses with a spreadsheet again after I started doing a small amount of manufactured spending to earn points in preparation for an upcoming trip to Europe. It's made my PC homepage a mess, and there's no good way to correct it.

The biggest shortfall with Personal Capital is that they don't save data from closed accounts!  I had a 30k loan that I paid off in months.  Then when the bank closed the account, all my transaction data disappeared from PC - no more tracking from my real starting point.  Just a boring flat line :(

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

The biggest shortfall with Personal Capital is that they don't save data from closed accounts!  I had a 30k loan that I paid off in months.  Then when the bank closed the account, all my transaction data disappeared from PC - no more tracking from my real starting point.  Just a boring flat line :(

That's been an issue as well. I closed a credit card last year and lost all of my data. Annoying. I also closed a checking account this year, but it's one I hadn't been using much. Ok, that's it. I'm definitely going to start tracking on a spreadsheet again :)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

Hand raised.

capitalguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:59:57 AM »
This dude sounds like we'd get along just fine. My dashboard is attached. I'm sure some things about it are idiosyncratic, but it works well for me. It's evolved over the years.

I just counted my spreadsheet, I've got 20 tabs. Not sure what his other 3 are.  :)

*Edit* I finally took the time to update my spreadsheet and add a bunch of metrics that I've been individually tracking. New one is attached!

Nice dashboard!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »

Nice dashboard!

Ooooh that's awesome!! I would love to see constant updates on my savings rates. I like that you have the net and gross, too.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
Thanks! If I get enough interest I'll take the time to scrub the personal data, write some instructions, and give it out to folks on the forums. There is a thread around here somewhere that is for uploading your budget spreadsheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
Thanks! If I get enough interest I'll take the time to scrub the personal data, write some instructions, and give it out to folks on the forums. There is a thread around here somewhere that is for uploading your budget spreadsheets.

Neat!  I'd love a copy too.

Here's the threads, to save you some time searching:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/share-your-financial-spreadsheets!/
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/anybody-feel-like-sharing-their-%27badass%27-spreadsheet/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »
*raises hand*

LOL I just counted & only have 15 tabs on mine.  I really appreciated the visual of ducks marching lock-step, military parade style.

#FuckTheMaytagMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »
*raises hand*

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
Meh. I keep it all in my head.  When see a fancy spreadsheet all I can think about is all the time that went into it that could have been used to do something productive, or at least fun, I say as I type away on an internet forum! I guess some people really do enjoy it, as it fills their need for control.   
I spent most of my time at work making spreadsheets because it allows me to look productive and keeps my spreadsheet making skills sharp. And there is something strangely satisfying about building something from scratch out of a great many individual components which all work together to make it function. I don't think they'd allow me to take up watch repair or rebuild engines at my desk so spreadsheets will have to do.

Linette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
@independent

I'll be standing in line for your spreadsheet.  =o)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »
Lol, my spreadsheet is only 18 pages.  I feel so inadequate now.  Obviously what I need is to make a dashboard and a page to track my frequent flyer miles (although SW already does that second part for me . . . hmmm.)

Your dashboard graphic with the needle that looks like the old fear-vs-greed-o-meter on the CNN money stock market today page is cool.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
This dude sounds like we'd get along just fine. My dashboard is attached < ... with awesome speedometer chart thing> ...

So cool.  Thanks for showing your dashboard.  I now have a FI-O-Meter :)

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
Thanks everyone! I haven't forgotten about this, It's just been on the back burner a bit. I WILL be creating a blank one with instructions.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »
Thanks everyone! I haven't forgotten about this, It's just been on the back burner a bit. I WILL be creating a blank one with instructions.

You're awesome for your willingness to share the badassery that you've created. No rush. We'll be thrilled whenever you have time for it.

Mr. McGibblets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »
Love me a good dashboard. I'm a Business Intelligence Developer so I can appreciate the effort you put in!

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 03:23:24 PM »
Following. That dashboard is beautiful.

Also A Practical Wedding is an awesome site. I'm planning an elopement + immediate family, and it's really helpful.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
Well, thanks to all for the gentle-yet-swift kick in the pants. I've created version 1.0 of the blank dashboard:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/one-sheet-to-rule-them-all/

I'd love for your feedback and for you to share your experiences in the thread above. Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:23:09 PM by IndyPendent »

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 09:05:56 PM »
Eek! IndyPendant, you've just turned my Friday night into a party. Can't wait to get started.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 05:56:14 AM »
Eek! IndyPendant, you've just turned my Friday night into a party. Can't wait to get started.

lol, happy to make a fellow geek's night. Be sure to post any questions or comments in the thread I linked above. Enjoy!

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »
You all that like excel sheets + visualization should check out Microsoft Power BI -

www.powerbi.com

I think it's an open beta right now so it's free. You just upload / link up your excel data and it can do a lot of reports. It fills a neat niche for me, graphs that need to look better than core excel but aren't complicated enough to require custom code in R or something.