Author Topic: NFL Star Quits after Rookie Season  (Read 3221 times)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
NFL Star Quits after Rookie Season
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
Chris Borland was one of the top rookies for the 2014 NFL season for the 49ers.  Quit this year before his second season because he weighed the risks of brain injury against the money he was making, and decided it wasn't worth it.  I think he even has a direct quote in the interview that went something like "I don't want to end up trading my time for money".  He's terrifically well spoken. 

Basically, it looks like he got a 600k signing bonus, he made about the same in salary his rookie year, then decided to call it quits.  He has plans to go back to school for a sports science degree because the field intrigues him.  Well done young man.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
Re: NFL Star Quits after Rookie Season
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
Good for him. Now for the thousands of other players, including children, who are at higher risk because their brains are still developing.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »
Being a Niners fan.... this really ticked me off because he showed a ton of potential.  His decision of course, but man there isnt much worse than wasting a good pick on a guy who decides to throw in the towel after a season. Again, nothing against him or his decision just frustrating to fans

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:13:27 PM »
Pretty much all neuroscientists now agree that brain development continues until at least the mid 20's for most people. Some think it goes into the early 30's. There's clear imaging evidence that the pre-frontal cortex isn't done developing by the time a rookie hits the NFL.

Kudos to this guy for making a decision that I'm sure was difficult, and kudos to the 49ers for issuing their supportive statement about it.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »
Pretty much all neuroscientists now agree that brain development continues until at least the mid 20's for most people. Some think it goes into the early 30's.
I think I can point to several hundred million people who disprove that

There's clear imaging evidence that the pre-frontal cortex isn't done developing by the time a rookie hits the NFL.
Now that I can believe

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
Being a Niners fan.... this really ticked me off because he showed a ton of potential.  His decision of course, but man there isnt much worse than wasting a good pick on a guy who decides to throw in the towel after a season. Again, nothing against him or his decision just frustrating to fans

Being a Seahawks fan, I was okay with it.

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
Good for him!  If he was at all prudent with that money he's set for life with just a modicum of effort.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!