Author Topic: Mustachianism I saw today that made me smile  (Read 6962 times)

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
Mustachianism I saw today that made me smile
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »
This is similar to the Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition, but maybe a little different.

I was thinking that occasionally, I see something in real life that just makes me smile as someone shows a little bit of their mustache in a way that surprises me. By this, I mean, not just someone that works with you bringing their lunch in, for example, but something a little more out of the ordinary... something you wouldn't expect that catches you off guard but brings a little bit of happiness.

I don't generally notice the cars people drive, but today I pulled into work and noticed that one of the higher level directors at my work was driving more of a beater car than I was - a Camry that looked to be mid 90's at a glance. It made me smile to see someone in that position who didn't care about any prestige to be gained from the car he was driving.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachianism I saw today that made me smile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
Yesterday after an event I walked out to the parking lot with three very accomplished professionals who all live in the same neighborhood about five miles away.  I would guess their combined salaries are north of $500k.

Turns out they had carpooled to the event in an elderly Mazda Protege.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:51:58 PM »
The weather where I live is insane, but in my area, there are a ton of cyclists no matter how cold or how abysmal outside.

Granted, I think that has more to do with living in a poorer area and people not having many options.

JLE1990

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
I do want to point at that safety should be considered when driving cars. I know accidents do not happen all the time but I think for safety people should purchase a vehicle at least newer than 2005. There are very affordable models out there from that year that are still reliable and you are much more likely to be injured in a car from the early 90s than mid 00's.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2018/05/11/newer-cars-much-safer-than-older-ones-nhtsa-says/#4e7e510f2104

Not that we should all buy new cars every year for the new safety features they put on, to get people to buy new cars ever year. But a car built in 1984 is almost twice as likely to be in a fatal crash than the same accident with a 2012+ model.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
A lot of our VP levels and higher get seduced into fancy German luxury cars. There is one VP who is relatively young, probably his late 40's, that I heard is retiring soon. He drives a a fourth generation Subaru Outback. Even if it's one of the last model years for that body style, it's at least 5 years old and could be over a decade old at this point. I'm glad to see he's getting out while he is still young enough to enjoy his free time. A lot of his peers are going to be working until they can't anymore to fund their extravagant lifestyles.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 05:49:52 AM »
I was travelling for work a couple of weeks ago and was chatting with one of our Directors, comparing cars. Mine is 13 years old, almost 100,000 miles. His has over 200,000! It was fun to congratulate each other on the milestones.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »
This didn't happen today, but I thought about it today and about how my perspective had changed.

In my first job, a lady retired, either at 50 or just a bit before. It was interesting thinking about how my perspective changed. She was an office worker - in accounting, so a good job but nothing crazy. At the time, my thoughts were more on the side of how she was could accomplish it. Now, thinking back, I smile because she seemed so excited about having the freedom that retirement would provide.