Author Topic: Moxie Marlinspike  (Read 3367 times)

Askel

• Pencil Stache
Moxie Marlinspike
« on: January 11, 2022, 05:38:52 AM »
So this guy showed up on my radar again (because of an excellent review of web3, but that's not important here.)

He has some excellent mustachian writing including the The Worst and Career Advice.  And yeah, I know... the latter references the infamous stanford experiment which is problematic, but I think he still makes a good point there.   

Not to mention he's responsible for the greatest sailing movie ever made:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:40:44 AM by Askel »

Askel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Moxie Marlinspike
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:04:51 AM »
And can't forget The Money Machine

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »
I read the whole web3 review a couple of times - it was at the top of HN for a long time. I think it's going to have a pretty big impact on the cryptosphere. With luck, we will have an emperor's new clothes moment :-)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
Thanks for that.
Extra bonus for The Worst ending with a POS reference. That song is one of my favorites.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 08:08:00 PM »
I read the whole web3 review a couple of times - it was at the top of HN for a long time. I think it's going to have a pretty big impact on the cryptosphere. With luck, we will have an emperor's new clothes moment :-)

What did you think about this comment from the web3 review?

I think these market forces will likely continue, and in my mind the question of how long it continues is a question of whether the vast amounts of accumulated cryptocurrency are ultimately inside an engine or a leaky bucket. If the money flowing through NFTs ends up channeled back into crypto space, it could continue to accelerate forever (regardless of whether or not it’s just web2x2).

It sounds like Moxie is suggesting that crypto-currency could become a permanent fixture if enough people start using it for something that has no other solution (eg NFTs) because this application (NFTs in this case) will feed in a sufficiently steady stream of fiat based money to keep the crypto-currency alive indefinitely.

A depressing thought to end the day with...

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:58:11 AM »

It sounds like Moxie is suggesting that crypto-currency could become a permanent fixture if enough people start using it for something that has no other solution (eg NFTs) because this application (NFTs in this case) will feed in a sufficiently steady stream of fiat based money to keep the crypto-currency alive indefinitely.

A depressing thought to end the day with...

Yeah - it remains to be seen whether NFTs accelerate or wind up becoming like pet rocks.

Related: My 17 year old nephew stayed with us for a few days over the holidays and he was bursting with enthusiasm for NFTs and wouldn't stop talking about them. I read out parts of Moxie's article to him and none of it bothered him. He was fine with OpenSea becoming the central trading place :-) There are a lot of kids his age who may keep this alive unfortunately.