Author Topic: Martin Yan of "Yan Can Cook"  (Read 3208 times)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Martin Yan of "Yan Can Cook"
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:12:18 PM »
A post on the DIY food thread mentioning Martin Yan made me think "What has he been up to recently?"  I loved watching his cooking show, "Yan Can Cook," when I was growing up.  He always seemed such a personable man on the show, and this was confirmed when I got to see him in person when he put on a demonstration at a local grocery store.

Anyway, looking him up, I ran into this article from 2004:
Frugal Gourmet / Why Martin Yan is proud of the holes in his socks
He has always been careful with money, and he is doing what he loves.  I think he fits.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Martin Yan of "Yan Can Cook"
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:49:22 AM »
Martin Yan sounds like a great guy. Thanks for sharing.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
Awww... we love him even more, now.  I love the last line. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
I enjoyed his show on PBS (is it still airing there?) and I liked this story. The best part is that he's doing exactly what he wants and isn't shy about turning away money-making opportunities if it's not something he wants to do.

The younger forum members might not fully appreciate what a big deal it was that he was already making $18/hour teaching cooking classes early in his career -- that was more than eight times the minimum wage in the 1970s! Good for him for having foresight to save some of that.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
I am not sure his show is still airing.  Wikipedia, IMDB, PBS.org, and his website all seem to have out-of-date or undated information.  He has made thousands of episodes, though!  That man has drive!

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
A fun read, particularly since I lived in the Bay Area during his early years...I can remember seeing him "perform" at a housewares convention once.

If you are looking for an entertaining "foodie" movie involving Asian cooking, check out this 1994 release:  Eat Drink Man Women (Ang Lee, before he got big)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111797/?ref_=nv_sr_4

I think of Yan when I watch it!

As an aside, I have a favorite Chinese restaurant that is in its second generation of ownership.  The parents lived in Chinatown in Chicago, but built their restaurant 40 miles north.  An old client asked me if I had ever been there in the 1970's and described how the parents would get all of the restaurant staff from Hong Kong, who would come to America to earn money as long as they were allowed to stay.  The wait staff would arrive in a van every day, wearing bow ties and long black aprons, just as they did in Hong Kong.  The grand mother would sit on the back stoop cleaning veggies during the mid afternoon lull while all of the waiters would play basketball.  Just made me love the place that much more, but now the daughter who took it over has trouble finding staff who will show up reliably.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:02:53 PM by Capsu78 »

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »
An enjoyable article.  Thank you.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
His most recent series was "Martin Yan's Taste of Vietnam" (26 episodes, 2014)

Checkout his website at yancancook.com[/b]]yancancook.com