Around the Internet > Mustachianism Around the Web

If You're So Successful, Why Are You Still Working 70 Hours A Week?

(1/2) > >>

Mrs. Fire Lane:
https://hbr.org/2018/02/if-youre-so-successful-why-are-you-still-working-70-hours-a-week?

FIREby35:
Thanks for sharing!

maizefolk:
I'm going to quote one particular paragraph that I recognized a little too much of myself in. Thanks for posting this!

--- Quote ---A professional’s insecurity is rooted in the inherent intangibility of knowledge work. How do you convince your client that you know something worthwhile and justify the high fees you charge? The insecurity caused by this intangibility is exacerbated by the rigorous “up or out” promotion system perpetuated by elite professional organizations, which turns your colleagues into your competitors. How do you convince your boss that you’re worth more than your closest colleague? There is no chance for a professional to rest on their laurels — or even to rest.

--- End quote ---

FIREby35:
I know that battling back that insecurity is what allowed me to leave a big law firm. And then, once I had my own firm rolling, the idea that I could have a team of people working and only work 30-40 hours personally and have "everything be ok" was a big mental hurdle. If I wasn't working 60-70 hours like I did for the first 5 years it took me to build my practice I felt a nagging insecurity that "I wasn't doing enough" and "it could all end tomorrow!"

I have worked hard to get past that, but it is definitely an ongoing battle. So, I'm with you Maizeman, sometimes it was hitting very close to home!

canuckiwi:
Having worked for a megacorp professional organisation, this article rings true.  Unlike trades or healthcare work where your competence and skills are visible and easy to asess, knowledge work is all just typing into a computer and sending emails. Thus the easiest way to show your worth to the organisation (and get a promotion) is to work long hours.

It also means that the company doesn't know what to do with employees who don't work long hours. Often the company would rather fire you than take the time to figure out what the best professional advancement path would be.

Highly paid, insecure, senior executives could be what drives the luxury car/ watch/ house market?  Maybe well paid, insecure, worker purchases are what keeps the economy running?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version