Author Topic: Green tiny house  (Read 1978 times)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Green tiny house
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
When I was about to retire from the submarine force, one of the new nukes at my command was a lieutenant named Nathan Toothman.  He worked in the main building on Subase while my office was out on Ford Island.  We chatted a few times before I went on terminal leave, but we never worked together. 

Fast forward 13 years.

He got out of the Navy in 2004 but stayed in Hawaii.  (Because, surfing.)  He put his civil engineering degree to work in a couple of firms, and then began specializing in foundation design.  Last year we ran into each other at an investor's lunch and talked about his entrepreneurial startup Bear Engineering.

Now he's really elevated his designs:
http://www.elevatestructure.com/purchase-options

Enjoy their Kickstarter video of "a typical day in Hawaii nei", and the drone shots of the prototype.  (It's in an industrial yard near Kailua off Kapaa Quarry Road.)  The next round of funds goes toward a commercial version for small businesses in tiny parking lots and other refinements.  Best of all, a residential structure in Hawaii for under $60K is the cheapest I've seen in 25 years. 

I'm intrigued by the rental-property possibilities...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Green tiny house
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
Looks interesting. I guess you could link a few of them together for a more typical sized house. It feels like hurricane winds might topple it more easily.

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
Re: Green tiny house
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:32:22 AM »
Nate's a good dude!  Small world, didn't realize you guys worked together.  I'm also interested to see where this goes ...