Author Topic: Good article about saving money on Lifehacker  (Read 3967 times)

wepner

• Stubble
Good article about saving money on Lifehacker
« on: December 17, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »
http://lifehacker.com/achieving-financial-success-without-extreme-frugality-o-1790145402

Nothing groundbreaking here but the 3 things I really liked were

1. Spend time DOING hobbies as opposed to accumulating things for a hobby. They suggest blocking out time to read, game, run etc. so then you won't feel the need to buy stuff to prove to yourself your hobby is reading, gaming, running by buying stuff

2. Cut back on stuff you don't care about. It seems obvious but I do think people have a tendency of cutting back on the stuff they like a lot when they try to save money. I think people trying to lose weight do the same thing with food they love as well.

3. Think about your job as an opportunity and try your best.

What do you guys think?

Moustachienne

• Bristles
Re: Good article about saving money on Lifehacker
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:24:13 PM »
Clear, common sense article plus the usual mix of commenters.  Some who get it and others who don't ... and want to be mad about it. Sheesh.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 11:38:47 PM »
Good article for the masses. Some people will get it others done.

I really like the idea of doing hobbies

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »
Really great article. A lot of financial advice seems basic, the problem is execution. The article does a good job sharing actionable strategies, like the hobby ideas. It's so true, I have 3 book shelves FILLED with books I don't even read! I picked em up a few at a time, even for a buck or two or three, that adds up!

Setting aside blocks of time DOING stuff also let's one's mind wander places besides internet articles full of ideas for crap you don't need. I find idle time reading articles, although educational, to be very unfulfilling-I always want to read just one more.

Comments section is typical, though I'm surprised so many people who supposedly want to optimize their life are so willing to shoot ideas in the article down.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »
Trent Hamm can write some solid, basic personal finance stuff.  Good PF101 for beginners, even if most Mustachians move past that point.

I have a lot more respect for him than most PF bloggers who sell out (and who never really got it in the first place).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.