Author Topic: Frugal Habits of the Super Rich  (Read 5488 times)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
Frugal Habits of the Super Rich
« on: May 25, 2016, 04:43:33 AM »
This is one great big bite of Mustachian philosophy in one small "infographic." It would make a good refrigerator poster of inspiration for those just starting on the path, or an educational poster in a high school.

http://matadornetwork.com/life/infographic-11-frugal-habits-super-rich/

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
Re: Frugal Habits of the Super Rich
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:39:18 AM »
Honestly, my reaction to a lot of these is meh:

Beyonce can beautify herself with gifted products because she is rich and powerful. Its not like an average person can just adopt that habit unless they forgo beauty products (which is a viable option, but not really the same).

The Ikea guy tells people off for their paper wasting? Then he takes salt and pepper from his own store? He doesn't really sound like someone I want to emulate. There is a difference between frugal and cheap and that guy crossed over.

Maybe bacon lard and vodka is acceptable party fare in Russia, I don't know. Is this the equivalent of pizza and beer in the US? 

Ryo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
Maybe bacon lard and vodka is acceptable party fare in Russia, I don't know. Is this the equivalent of pizza and beer in the US? 

Not exactly like pizza, but yes, a common (and tasty) treat often had while drinking with friends.   

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:42:06 PM »

I expect they  meant salo, which is cured pork belly fat. I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely just liked it more than caviar; it's a much loved food there (much like bacon is here). Hearty, country food, but not like bottom of the barrel "eat crap, guests" kind of thing.

I guess if trying to think of American analogs, it's like serving chips & dip instead of Pinteresty fancy hors d'oeuvres. Back to basics.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »
Didn't Steve jobs lease a new luxury sports car every few months just to avoid tickets by having no license plates?

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:27:36 AM »
It seems that the examples given by wealthy people are causing some controversy, but I still think the advice is sound. What if we provide our own examples?

11 Frugal Habits of the Super Rich
  • 1.   Live below your means
  • 2.   Choose a modest home
  • 3.   Forget about class [as in status symbols, not education]
  • 4.   Be on the lookout for freebies
  • 5.   Eat frugally
  • 6.   Cut down on your shoes
  • 7.   Have 2 jobs, save one salary
  • 8.   Stick to a grocery list
  • 9.   Try living on almost nothing
  • 10. Only buy what you need
  • 11. Keep your parties simple

Example for #6: I know a man who claims to own only 2 sets of footwear. Teva sandals for summer and hiking boots for winter. He is retired so he doesn't have to worry about any dress codes for work, but several female friends claimed that it would be more difficult for a woman to get by with so few shoes. I think I could do it after retirement for day to day living, but would need something fancier when attending weddings/funerals/opera performances/etc. So maybe 3 pairs? I also have specific footwear for sports (ski boots, water shoes for paddle sports, trail runners, etc) but I would count those as part of my health and fitness budget.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:31:40 AM by Parizade »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »
I only ever own about 6 pairs of s hoes and all sorts of occasions can be covered by that. I wear them until they wear out. I never understood when some women love shoes.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »
Foot problems have had me in a pair of orthopedic shoes for a few months.  It's likely I'll be stuck wearing these type for the rest of my life.  So yes, it's quite possible for a women to get down to one pair.
I am on the hunt for sandals with the same degree of support.  Once I find them, I'll have 2 pairs of shoes.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
Foot problems have had me in a pair of orthopedic shoes for a few months.  It's likely I'll be stuck wearing these type for the rest of my life.  So yes, it's quite possible for a women to get down to one pair.
I am on the hunt for sandals with the same degree of support.  Once I find them, I'll have 2 pairs of shoes.

You need to check out one of my favorite shoe stores kite, Footsmart.  They cater to us "tenderfoots"
http://www.footsmart.com/?cm_mmc=googbr-_-Brand-_-s-_-footsmart&srccode=SendNow5&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1cS6BRDvhtKL89em1oIBEiQAtZO5x_nb75rp56g7pd31dZmUCrxp_r_aejbBHzlVjZntk6EaApGn8P8HAQ&kwid=92762845x6908174676x125244276

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 12:04:50 AM »
Bacon lard and vodka.  That's living the dream...