Author Topic: Economics of Consent  (Read 2502 times)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
Economics of Consent
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:45 PM »
"To be a free woman, you have to be a financially independent woman."
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/10/harvey-weinstein-and-the-economics-of-consent/543618/

Most of the article isn't about that particularly (but a good read), but either way it's an interesting reminder of being financially self sufficient

Guesl982374

• Bristles
Re: Economics of Consent
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
I argue over this very point with some of the women in my life. They all claim that now that society has had this 'watershed' moment, this kind of thing won't happen in the future. While I agree that there might be fewer incidents, I disagree that it won't happen again on this scale because of the massive power imbalance this article discusses. I am 110% agreement that everyone who abused others is in the wrong, I just disagree that the future will hold something different. You will still have young, beautiful, and desperate woman with no power needing the approval of power people/men to become successful. The temptation to abuse that power is too great for it not to happen again. I agree with CanuckExpat, all the more reason people need to have FU money on their side.

'Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely'

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
And in highly related news:

To be a free woman, you have to be a financially independent woman 100% able to control when/why/whether you have children.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »

To be a free woman, you have to be a financially independent woman 100% able to control when/why/whether you have children.

Absolutely.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »

Absolutely.

Yes

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »

Absolutely.

Heck yes!

Yes