Author Topic: Couple retired to travel the world in 30s  (Read 8681 times)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
Couple retired to travel the world in 30s
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Couple retired to travel the world in 30s
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »
Junior doesn't look too happy in that picture. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:36:15 AM »
Jeremy and Winnie are awesome.

So inspiring.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:46:38 AM »
I guess this article got hung up in the editing process because GCC Jr. was born last spring, not three months ago.

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
not hard to do when you have a combined annual salary of 135k
wish i had that much coming in id be done in 2-3 years lol

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »

Go earn that then.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »

Quit wishing and make it happen.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »
Uh-oh, the story made it to the Daily Fail Mail.  The comments are ... well, it's the DM, don't say you weren't warned:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3466836/The-couple-retired-30s-world-too.html#comments

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 01:25:29 AM »
Jeremy and Winnie are awesome.

So inspiring.

They are indeed.

Mrs MajorFacepunch saw a very similar article in the Daily Mail yesterday and read it to me. Reinforces everything we've talked about for the past few years.

kfire20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
Great story... One of Jeremy's pearls of wisdom I just read (one of his comments):

"Earn as much as you can, live on very little, and invest the difference and wait"

... perfect

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
Awesome!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »
Just read the comments and they were painful to read after while. Many said the child needs to be in school-the child is only 1, etc.  It is ridiculous how jealous and judgmental people can be.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 03:29:18 PM »

Go earn that then.  :)

I know some people are indeed struggling with low incomes, but I do not get this idea where a married couple earning 135K is somehow elite and unachievable.

That's like two teachers (with some experience) or two accountants or two cops.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
I know some people are indeed struggling with low incomes, but I do not get this idea where a married couple earning 135K is somehow elite and unachievable.

Depends on the area--the wife and I, both teachers w/ 7-8 years experience and Master's Degrees, got up to 44k each, 88k combined, in Nevada.  My brother-in-law, a sheriff, hit that 135k by himself, in California.  So it's hard to generalize that much.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »

Depends on the area--the wife and I, both teachers w/ 7-8 years experience and Master's Degrees, got up to 44k each, 88k combined, in Nevada.  My brother-in-law, a sheriff, hit that 135k by himself, in California.  So it's hard to generalize that much.

Wow sounds like Nevada doesn't pay teachers very well! Teacher friends of mine started at 40K in Ohio and it's not uncommon for one with 10 years to make 60+.

Jeremy

• Stubble
  • We retired in our 30's and are full time travelers
    • Go Curry Cracker!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
I guess this article got hung up in the editing process because GCC Jr. was born last spring, not three months ago.

Over the past week a ton of articles popped up all over the globe (Australia, NZ, UK, Spain, Belgium, HK, Malaysia,...)
Since we didn't talk with a single reporter, I think that is pretty cool because I really like my zero hour work week.
But it looks like the fact checkers work similar hours.

By far my favorite thing to come of this is a video montage created by an HK site. It's in Cantonese, but you don't need to understand it to realize just how awesome the video is, especially the animations of us downsizing, me riding a bike, and the money tree.
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realtime/international/20160229/54808634

We post all of the happy pics on Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/gocurrycookie/
(except the pic with the clown. He definitely does not like clowns.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 12:57:09 AM »
By far my favorite thing to come of this is a video montage created by an HK site. It's in Cantonese, but you don't need to understand it to realize just how awesome the video is, especially the animations of us downsizing, me riding a bike, and the money tree.

Haha, that was awesome!  The high five when selling the car, and the shaking the money tree was my favorite part.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »

Over the past week a ton of articles popped up all over the globe (Australia, NZ, UK, Spain, Belgium, HK, Malaysia,...)
Since we didn't talk with a single reporter, I think that is pretty cool because I really like my zero hour work week.
But it looks like the fact checkers work similar hours.

We post all of the happy pics on Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/gocurrycookie/
(except the pic with the clown. He definitely does not like clowns.)

The comments it generated on the Daily Fail were awesome!! Exactly what's needed to validate what you did and are doing (not that you need any validation).

Keep blogging - I'm enjoying it..thx

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
Jeremy's blog is one of my favourites. I never expected him to look like that though, kind of like when they make a movie out of a book and the picture in your head is all wrong.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »

Go Curry Cracker The Game - Alternative Grand Theft Auto

Thats great, love it

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 02:42:29 AM »

Wow sounds like Nevada doesn't pay teachers very well! Teacher friends of mine started at 40K in Ohio and it's not uncommon for one with 10 years to make 60+.

I was selected for a phone interview at the Community College in Toledo, OH in 2011. Before they scheduled the phone interview, they wanted to let me know that the starting salary was 35K. It didn't matter if you had a Ph.D. or M.A. or years of experience. Everyone started at 35K. I didn't do the interview.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
They have the Go Curry Cracker blog if you want more details.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!