Author Topic: Billfold Response to Business Insider Arebelspy Article  (Read 11245 times)

theglidd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Billfold Response to Business Insider Arebelspy Article
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
https://thebillfold.com/there-is-no-magic-formula-for-financial-independence-1f7bf4872f37#.pce7gei0y

Pretty interesting read based on the Business Insider article about arebelspy. I image this is what the comments would say if they had them on the original Business Insider post.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Billfold Response to Business Insider Arebelspy Article
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:45:26 AM »
I don't understand why there's so much anger there? Aren't they close to saying the same thing? Try to live a fulfilling life within your means, save money, and make your own path?

So what if they flipped houses? Is that not work? What the crap is the problem here?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:55:33 AM »
Wooooow sounds like the writer is personally offended by someone else's success. Especially that they *dared* to use their savings to buy rentals?! Shock horror.

It links to ARS's blog, so hopefully they'll get some traffic from the people who think gee, that actually does sound like a good life! etc.

yodella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
I really love a lot of the stuff I read on The Billfold and stop by their site at least once a day, but has anyone else noticed how they are almost openly hostile to both early retirement and minimalism? Much of their beef has to do with the "privilege" of those working toward FIRE and/or embracing minimalism. I am all for opposing viewpoints and lively discussion, but it feels like there is a lot of energy spent lashing out at these two particular factions.

A few recent examples:

https://thebillfold.com/a-friday-chat-about-self-imposed-austerity-eb48b3c13ed5#.9npb7rej1
https://thebillfold.com/consider-maximalism-33301c49111a#.pyjj208tz
https://thebillfold.com/no-you-probably-dont-need-a-stuff-quarrantine-7109e1dc1e6c#.yxfdw1wyf

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
I was initially drawn to the "billfold" platform after a link was posted here regarding the  "F* off fund".  However, I did find that many of the articles were more geared to bemoaning the state of their finances rather than doing something about it.  Generally the articles were written by left-leaning, under 30's who still hadn't figured shit out.  Not my scene. 

But to see this particular author bash ARS's success like that reeked of immaturity and jealousy.  Perhaps if the author removed her eyeballs from her own naval, she could find inspiration in the story, instead of bad-mouthing a seemingly lovely couple who are trying to share their success and inspire others to find their own freedom.

Thankfully, some of the commenters can see that the author has missed the point.  Hopefully, the author will come around and find it herself.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
The salt on that article is so thick you could scrape it off and make margaritas with it.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49:38 AM »
I read that article and did not realize it was about arebelspy! Should have made the connection.

I really like reading Billfold but it seems to be the writers are mostly around my age (mid-20s) who are overloaded with debt and feel like they're doing the best they can.

bostonjim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Here's another article Megan has on that site:

https://thebillfold.com/i-guess-i-should-start-thinking-about-retirement-f6cb4caec9d8#.g3vbpwdsh

There are no words. 

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
I've never seen this blog before. And granted, other than the ARS-bashing article, I only skimmed a few others and looked over some random titles. What is her purpose for this blog? Is it to bitch and moan? If so, she's doing great! That'll be the last time I visit.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:33 PM »
I could not figure out how to post a response on that website.

What does one have to do to make a comment?  I created an account.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
Interesting that the original writer and many of the commenters focused more on why it couldn't be done or that it was unrealistic because reasons.  Instead of saying "hmmm, maybe I could learn something here". 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »
Interesting that the original writer and many of the commenters focused more on why it couldn't be done or that it was unrealistic because reasons.  Instead of saying "hmmm, maybe I could learn something here".

Sadly, that appears to now be "The American Way" (TM)

In contrast, when I read the first MMM post (I think it was the Shockingly Simple Math one), I spent the next two weeks binge-reading all his posts and then the forums.

And then I started changing my behavior and explaining those changes to my lovely wife.   She realized that it made sense and so she made changes, too.
I cut 12 years off my expected retirement date.   Could have done another 12 years better than that if I had known this when we first got a middle class income.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:23:22 PM by SwordGuy »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »
If you have the money, buy the thing.

Love it! That quote almost made me spit out my coffee. Tha sad thing is that many people buy the thing on credit, because to them, a credit card is money.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
yeah the article seemed a bit whiny.  I guess the article couldn't just regurgitate the BI article so it had to have some provocative position or something.  If read about how someone did something unusual, then you can either (1) learn from it, even if it's not how you would do things or (2) complain about how they did it, because you would not do things that way

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:06 PM »
The salt on that article is so thick you could scrape it off and make margaritas with it.
Totally stealing this.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 12:14:36 AM »

A very mustacian thing to do.  Make me one too, please!

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 01:42:02 AM »
Wow that is so sour grapes. And badly written by a supposed "editor". Just wow.

Here let me whine about how impossible it is to save money while I justify spending on everything I want. And how no one can actually do what ARS actually did.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 02:26:59 AM »

https://thebillfold.com/i-guess-i-should-start-thinking-about-retirement-f6cb4caec9d8#.g3vbpwdsh

There are no words.

I find Megan whines a lot, I use to like the billfold in the past, but since Mike and Ester left I feel like its become a lot more complaining where as it used to be a bit more positive stories and people trying to find ways to improve their finances. Not to MMM extremes but more about saving and paying down debt and such

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 02:38:18 AM »

There are no words.

Aarrgghh. Why did I waste 2 minutes of my life reading that drivel?

She has about as much intelligence as a goldfish. Is her schtik to have people read about how undirected and dopey she is so they feel purposeful and smart in comparison?

People can get paid to write that shit? 

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 06:12:11 AM »

There are no words.

Aarrgghh. Why did I waste 2 minutes of my life reading that drivel?

She has about as much intelligence as a goldfish. Is her schtik to have people read about how undirected and dopey she is so they feel purposeful and smart in comparison?

People can get paid to write that shit?

Don't be too harsh, In used to think exactly like that.  She suffers a great deal maintaining that delusional mindset I assure you.

That she gets paid to maintain that delusion is highly unfortunate though.  It took a trip to the School of Hard Knocks to escape that mindset.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
Anyone got a link to the Business Insider article? Would have thought the article would have had it (maybe I missed it?).

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
Anyone got a link to the Business Insider article? Would have thought the article would have had it (maybe I missed it?).

It does, it's in a box in the middle of the article, the layout is a little wonky:

http://www.businessinsider.com/teachers-early-retirement-best-advice-for-saving-2017-1?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
I have never seen such a violent response to the idea that maybe you shouldn't buy everything that catches your eye. The author goes to a lot of effort to defend mindless spending.

Assuming that a “fill-in-the-blank thing” is both a waste of money and unsatisfactory makes an uncomfortable assumption — that those who find themselves drowning financially are doing so because money disappears from their hands the moment they have it, frittered away on home theatre equipment and lattes and handbags and designer clothing.

Seriously? If I decide that a thing doesn't make me happy, so I'm not going to buy it, I'm saying that everyone who's poor deserves to be poor?

Know that a hankering for stuff isn’t going to be your downfall.

Hankering for stuff is a lot of people's downfall.

This article is a giant pile of resentment and defensiveness masquerading as advice.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
Jeez, that was whiny.  Hard to read honestly.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
Maybe they should rename it from billfold to emptybillfold.  :D

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Yes it seemed angry and complainy.  But to me it seemed overwhelmingly defensive about justifying whatever her own lifestyle and choices might be.

I can see how the idea of having 14 rental properties might seem beyond the imagination for some people (including me). But Megan seems to maintain a thick layer of resentment directed at people who can get their shit together to have those investments.

It's weird that someone should care so much how others decide to live their lives.

But such is clickbaity journalism.  One can't even assume she believe's what she's writing.  It's all about developing an angle on a particular story, the more provocative the better, get the readers angry/provoked etc, get the clicks coming through.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »
Dear Mods: Please move this to "wall of shame" ;)

I gotta read some more, this was hilarious. Does she even believe the stuff she writes or is some might fine trolling?

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
I'm honestly surprised. I've genuinely liked some Billfold pieces before—the best ones feel like chatty, breezy, transparently honest and vulnerable takes on how money affects our lives. There are some fun little takes on working philanthropy and charitable donations into everyday life.

Would like to write this off as one writer's vendetta—I do agree that the Business Insider article was a little too shallow and made it sound very breezy to just casually! save money! by cutting expenses! but a good portion of it was, presumably, saving money and using said money to make strategic investments, and also minimizing expenses. The vitriol in the Billfold response isn't necessary, imo.

I actually find a lot of online publications (does the Billfold even count as a publication? I'm not totally sure how organized they are) are a bit more fast and loose with writing quality/editorial style, so I end up being loyal to individual writers more so than publications.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
Yes it seemed angry and complainy.  But to me it seemed overwhelmingly defensive about justifying whatever her own lifestyle and choices might be.

Yep.  Agree!

I can see how the idea of having 14 rental properties might seem beyond the imagination for some people (including me).

It really isn't that hard to understand.   Facts in evidence in the referenced article:

Their regular salaried gross income was in the $70,000 to $80,000 range, with another 50% side hustle based on additional work at their employer or at a 2nd job.

Spending was about $20,000 a year, which is quite believable given the size of their living quarters and that they only had one simple car.

So, available income to invest with was $50,000 to $80,000 a year after taxes.   

Let's say they found a $100,000 house that would rent at a profit with a 30 year, fixed mortgage and a 25% down payment.  That's $25,000 to $30,000 in purchase expenses including closing costs and minor repairs.

8 * $50,000 = $400,000 minimum investable income.   $400,000 / $30,000 = 13 1/3 houses.  Throw in rental profits from 13 houses and they could swing the 14th house.

8 * $70,000 = $630,000 likely investable income.   $630,000 / $30,000 = 21 houses.   They only had 14 houses, the slackers. :)  Of course, most of the mortgages had been paid off, so they weren't really slacking. :)

If they got a better deal on the houses when they bought them, they needed to spend less cash and could more easily get 14 properties.

If they made money on the house flips when they sold them, that would also help them meet their goals.

And if they used some of the creative real estate methods using owner financing, that would also help them.

Hard, persistent, detail oriented work?  You bet?    Unbelievable?  Hardly.

But Megan seems to maintain a thick layer of resentment directed at people who can get their shit together to have those investments.

Very true.   Because if her finances are a mess, and someone else with fewer advantages did so well, either they are lying or she failed.  Some people just can't accept that.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 12:04:39 AM »
The comments are, surprisingly, very positive! For once it's the article that's complanypants, and the comments that are badass.

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 02:55:29 AM »
That's reassuring!  Megan has been outflanked!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 04:25:28 AM »
Oh, I missed this thread.

Someone PM'd me a link to the article a few days ago though, and I wrote a comment as a response (and wrote a few replies to some of the other comments with questions/concerns).

I too was glad to see most of the comments were more supportive than the author of this piece.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 04:26:56 AM »
I can see how the idea of having 14 rental properties might seem beyond the imagination for some people (including me).

It really isn't that hard to understand.   Facts in evidence in the referenced article:

Their regular salaried gross income was in the $70,000 to $80,000 range, with another 50% side hustle based on additional work at their employer or at a 2nd job.

Spending was about $20,000 a year, which is quite believable given the size of their living quarters and that they only had one simple car.

So, available income to invest with was $50,000 to $80,000 a year after taxes.   

Let's say they found a $100,000 house that would rent at a profit with a 30 year, fixed mortgage and a 25% down payment.  That's $25,000 to $30,000 in purchase expenses including closing costs and minor repairs.

8 * $50,000 = $400,000 minimum investable income.   $400,000 / $30,000 = 13 1/3 houses.  Throw in rental profits from 13 houses and they could swing the 14th house.

8 * $70,000 = $630,000 likely investable income.   $630,000 / $30,000 = 21 houses.   They only had 14 houses, the slackers. :)  Of course, most of the mortgages had been paid off, so they weren't really slacking. :)

If they got a better deal on the houses when they bought them, they needed to spend less cash and could more easily get 14 properties.

If they made money on the house flips when they sold them, that would also help them meet their goals.

And if they used some of the creative real estate methods using owner financing, that would also help them.

Hard, persistent, detail oriented work?  You bet?    Unbelievable?  Hardly.

Wow.

This is pretty * spot on (or at least well in the ballpark, definitely close enough to get the idea, any edits would be nitpicking details).

Well done.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:37 AM »

Must confess I glanced over the numbers in the article.

But yes, i should clarify that I can understand technically how it's done, but it's definitely outside of my experience.  I've thought through various property investment scenarios. And attempted one.  It didn't work out for me for personal reasons.  But my reaction wouldn't be to criticise those who were successful at it!

Having said that, I'm located in Australia.  Originally from Sydney, now in Melbourne.

"In Sydney the median household income was $84,600 compared with a median house price of $1,032,000, while, in Melbourne, the median income was $75,600 compared with a median house price of $730,000."

from this article, one year ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jan/25/housing-severely-unaffordable-as-sydney-price-to-income-ratio-worsens

Living inside this economic environment does limit one's imagination when it comes to property investment.  Positively geared property is almost unheard of. And investors strive to achieve negatively geared properties to offset losses against their personal income tax, hoping to recoup those losses with future capital gains. Mortgages can only be fixed for a few years, and after that are variable.

I don't think current asset prices for residential property in major Australian cities would allow this strategy - and I would be risk averse to smaller cities and towns as their growth seems largely subdued (population of Melbourne is 4.5million, but the entire state's population is about 5.8million). Although many, many people in Australia do it - obviously, from the prices!

But i digress.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »
Then don't invest there.  Invest where the numbers make sense.

I know Australians investing in the US.

If I were in Australia*, I wouldn't be buying real estate there.  I'd be investing in domestic stocks and foreign real estate.

YMMV, obviously, but I don't like speculating on negatively geared property.  I'd rather get a nice double digit cash on cash return and ER off of it.  :)

*Okay, technically I am in Australia as I type this.  But as a tourist, not a resident.  ;)

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
Every now and then I feel somewhat nitpicky about an ER success story where I feel there is some "fudging" (e.g., MMM getting insurance through Mrs. MM's PT job for several years after "retiring") or failure to acknowledge luck/privilege.  Then I see a story like this I see why the person I am feeling nitpicky about doesn't bother disclosing every last detail--people like the Billfold author still wouldn't be satisfied.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »

Someone PM'd me a link to the article a few days ago though, and I wrote a comment as a response (and wrote a few replies to some of the other comments with questions/concerns).

I too was glad to see most of the comments were more supportive than the author of this piece.  :)

Your patience and kindness in some of those comments is superhuman. ;)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »
Every now and then I feel somewhat nitpicky about an ER success story where I feel there is some "fudging" (e.g., MMM getting insurance through Mrs. MM's PT job for several years after "retiring") or failure to acknowledge luck/privilege.  Then I see a story like this I see why the person I am feeling nitpicky about doesn't bother disclosing every last detail--people like the Billfold author still wouldn't be satisfied.

Good insight.

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2017, 01:52:32 PM »
Then don't invest there.  Invest where the numbers make sense.

I know Australians investing in the US.

If I were in Australia*, I wouldn't be buying real estate there.  I'd be investing in domestic stocks and foreign real estate.

YMMV, obviously, but I don't like speculating on negatively geared property.  I'd rather get a nice double digit cash on cash return and ER off of it.  :)

*Okay, technically I am in Australia as I type this.  But as a tourist, not a resident.  ;)

Yep, totes.  I don' like -geared property either. I'm at around 80% stocks, 10% real estate, 10% bonds - via indexes of course.  I was just explaining the context of my initial ill thought out comments re: property investment. But I appear to be inadvertently giving the impression of being a naysayer - when I'm anything but!!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
I'm thinking maybe ARS like stood Megan up at the Prom or something :P That's some serious sour grapes!

Saying "He retired as a millionaire by flipping houses in Vegas" is so inaccurate it's almost lying in my opinion. I would/have never describe your story in that manner to someone.

Saving money for down payments and building wealth through Real Estate rentals on the other hand is not really a new concept. You just did it much quicker and better than most!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »

[nitpicker voice]

You might have saved all your money and figured out how to become a millionaire and how to retire early and you might be sharing that with the world for free, but YOU GOT INSURANCE FROM YOUR WIFE!!!!  Obviously you cheated and we can now ignore everything else you have said!

[/nitpicker voice]

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

Wow.

This is pretty * spot on (or at least well in the ballpark, definitely close enough to get the idea, any edits would be nitpicking details).

Well done.

So you admit it ARebelSpy! 

You were flaunting your cash and living high on the hog with a  firehose of money you should have spent on those missing 7 houses! 

Harrumph Harrumph Harrumph!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »

Your patience and kindness in some of those comments is superhuman. ;)

Hah. At least those comments were some valid concerns that weren't addressed (e.g. future costs or something).

As opposed to when the BI article got syndicated on Yahoo Finance Canada, and the comment section was a * storm of ignorance and negativity.  Not sure how my "ginger" hair is relevant, for example.

I didn't bother to respond to a single comment there.  :P

Yep, totes.  I don' like -geared property either. I'm at around 80% stocks, 10% real estate, 10% bonds - via indexes of course.  I was just explaining the context of my initial ill thought out comments re: property investment. But I appear to be inadvertently giving the impression of being a naysayer - when I'm anything but!!

Cool.  I think that's a good choice, I would be doing something very similar.

I mean, the people speculating on real estate in Australia's large cities may come out ahead, but I'd rather not risk it, personally.  Good luck to them though.  :)

Saying "He retired as a millionaire by flipping houses in Vegas" is so inaccurate it's almost lying in my opinion. I would/have never describe your story in that manner to someone.

Saving money for down payments and building wealth through Real Estate rentals on the other hand is not really a new concept. You just did it much quicker and better than most!

Indeed.  She probably just misunderstood, and thought the only way you could generate that much cash was to flip houses or something.  The idea of making 40k each + extra side gigs - 20k living expenses and saving 60-80k/yr, year after year, is so foreign to her.  :)

So you admit it ARebelSpy! 

You were flaunting your cash and living high on the hog with a  firehose of money you should have spent on those missing 7 houses! 

Harrumph Harrumph Harrumph!

Oh totally! Our lives were so luxurious (I say this seriously, not sarcastically).

The wife and I laugh if someone suggests we "deprived" ourselves. We had so much stupid luxury, electronics and appliances and travel (pre-travel hacking, so just paying, though finding good deals).

TheStachery

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »
Really love this quote
"We cultivated a concept of gratitude about everything,” Ali says. “And once you’re grateful for everything you have, to try to get more seems silly.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »

Ok, finally figured it out.   That website is very picky about which browsers it supports.   IE 11 isn't one of them, so the response section didn't show up.  Had to switch to a different browser. 

Left a comment on the article.   I tried **real hard** to be friendly and positive, rather than deliver a face punch.  Hopefully I succeeded.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »

Ok, finally figured it out.   That website is very picky about which browsers it supports.   IE 11 isn't one of them, so the response section didn't show up.  Had to switch to a different browser. 

Left a comment on the article.   I tried **real hard** to be friendly and positive, rather than deliver a face punch.  Hopefully I succeeded.
Thanks for the information.  Face punches rarely translate well outside of the Mmm bubble., sadly.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2017, 11:57:04 PM »

That was an awesome comment!  :)

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
Wow, those yahoo comments are toxic (nothing new I guess).  There are three communities I'm familiar with that the media just doesn't understand, and those who comment along with them.  Aviation, the military, and early retirement cultists enthusiasts.  Oh well, you can lead a horse to water and all that.

Greenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »
I find it highly ironic - actually infuriating - that she had the audacity to label your actual life story as clickbait, within her own clickbait article!! 

(Not to mention the use of the word shameful when she meant shame...and she writes for a living?!)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
Was it clear to anyone why the Billfold author consistently wrote "retire"? (with the quotes, emphasis mine)

Presumably it's because the author thinks they aren't retired, which is fine, I like an internet retirement police / semantics argument as much as anyone, but they never get around to explaining why they need the quotes. At least explain your objections people..

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much