Author Topic: Bill Gates washes his own dishes  (Read 6847 times)

Beaker

• Bristles
Bill Gates washes his own dishes
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
briannnf: Hey Bill, ... I'd just like to know, what is something you enjoy doing that you think no one would expect from you?
thisisbillgates: [...] I do the dishes every night - other people volunteer but I like the way I do it.

From Reddit

OK, maybe it's not the most Mustachian thing ever, but not too bad for a guy that's worth however-many-billion dollars.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:31:29 PM by breischl »

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Bill Gates washes his own dishes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »
Man, if I had that kind of money, washing dishes would be the first thing I would pay someone else to do!

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
Man, if I had that kind of money, washing dishes would be the first thing I would pay someone else to do!

What about dishwasher?  I used to have someone that washed our dishes but dishwasher is better. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:58:30 PM by luigi49 »

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
Nahh you have to let people into your life, into your business, into your bubble.  Strangers. They may envy you or steal from you. 
Yuck.

I don't like having domestic servants.  We had cleaners for awhile and I hated it.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
briannnf: Hey Bill, ... I'd just like to know, what is something you enjoy doing that you think no one would expect from you?
thisisbillgates: [...] I do the dishes every night - other people volunteer but I like the way I do it.
Another obsessive compulsive who won't ask for help...

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Washing dishes by hand costs more than using a dishwasher. So if he finds it therapeutic or is really particular about their washing, good for him. Guess it's a luxury he can afford.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »
I agree, I like washing dishing and cleaning the kitchen. I hate cooking though, so much.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
Washing dishes by hand costs more than using a dishwasher.

I've heard that before, but I find it pretty hard to believe. I can do a lot of dishes while using less than sinkful of hot water total, and zero electricity. Plus it's a lot easier on dishes - especially knives, coated pans, and anything wooden - so they last longer.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
I can understand him, because I also like washing dishes by hand. It is a very relaxing way to finish a meal and socialize with the rest of the family or guests, especially when everyone is helping to dry and put things back. When I am alone, I find it to be almost like meditation but it happens very rarely as I tend to just rinse quickly the same cup, fork, spoon and plate over and over.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

unless you just do a quick rinse right after eating then put them in the drying rack

maustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:46:41 AM »
I wish he'd stick to the dishes and stay out of the public schools.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »
Washing dishes is like meditation time for me, since I know that for those few minutes while I'm doing that, nobody will ask me to do anything else. I've never heard DH say "hey honey can you stop washing those dishes and come help me do ___", so it's great for that small bit of peace. I do wish I had a nicer view out of the kitchen sink window though, that would make it even more relaxing. Now I can't say the same about washing dishes that suddenly appear in the sink from old lunch boxes with crud stuck to them b/c someone forgot to rinse them out after eating his lunch.........

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:18 AM »

I've heard that before, but I find it pretty hard to believe.
When I've actually managed to find real comparisons, they usually assume you're running the water full-time, putting one dish under the water, soaping it up, and rinsing. I start with just enough water in the sink to cover a few plates and rinse into the wash sink so the water gets deeper as I go to less-flat dishes.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 02:03:04 AM »
Depends also if you actually pay for the water you consume. For me it's a flat rate included in the rent. Within reason at least, if I were to leave a tap constantly open the landlord would probably come to investigate :)

sachac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
I moved to Canada from the Philippines, where my parents and one of my sisters still are. I grew up in a household with maids, a cook, and a driver, and my family back in the Philippines still have househelp. Over here, we do everything ourselves, although the dishwasher and the washing machine help a lot.

From time to time, I read my sister's updates about the challenge of finding a reliable non-psycho maid. Apparently, the last one left after a week--and after cutting up the dog's training leash into six pieces(!). My mom occasionally tells me stories about dealing with fights among the staff. I'm relieved that my lifestyle doesn't involve managing household help.

I like doing the dishes too. It's relaxing, and I feel a sense of progress gradually restoring the kitchen to order. Most of our things can go in the dishwasher, so it's really just knives, pots, plastic, and other things that the dishwasher doesn't clean well. Since I've been experimenting with delegation and virtual assistance, one of my blog readers asked me if I ever wanted to get chores out of my life. We get a lot out of doing our own chores (buying groceries, cooking, cleaning, etc.), so I don't think I'd get rid of that even if my 'stache grew enough to accommodate help. I guess it works out well if you convince yourself you enjoy doing these things! =)

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
It is not clear if "doing the dishes"  means washing them by hand or rinsing them off and putting them in the dishwasher.   I usually "do the dishes" which means rinsing them and placing them in the dishwasher.  My wife will sometimes re-arrange them in the dishwasher to her specs.   I suspect that is more like what Bill is talking about.   But still, very surprising!